Author Topic: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)  (Read 269379 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Didn’t Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice have a dream sequence within or immediately after another dream sequence? I haven’t seen it in a while. I have doubts Warner Bros. knows or cares what’s confusing to the audience.

Yes, Bruce wakes up from his trench coat nightmare of fighting parademons to see the Flash tell him that "Lois is the key".  He then immediately wakes up from that thinking they were both dreams.

I think the broad assumptions were that the first was to set up JL pt 2/Darkseid while the other is possibly a Flashpoint tease.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
I don't understand why WB/DC/AT&T/Media Conglomerate #2 would want to build multiple shared universes out of their DC film properties.  Seems like it'd get confusing.

They trust that the fans will be smart enough to tell the difference. We only live so long. The current pattern is a single person has control and in a linear serial fashion that person makes films in a series. Then following that another person gets control and there is a new continuity. Repeat.

We should really break this paradigm. Maybe there should be many creative people working on their own versions at the same time. Parallel production. The way things were going was really slow. And I also met people who got confused with the different Spider-man movies. So, that doesn't matter anyhow. There will still be people too dimwitted to stay on page no matter what. There shouldn't be a King of Batman Director. Russia and America can exist at the same time. We shouldn't prop up a king just for the fools.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 07:30:57 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
We should really break this paradigm. Maybe there should be many creative people working on their own versions at the same time. Parallel production. The way things were going was really slow. And I also met people who got confused with the different Spider-man movies. So, that doesn't matter anyhow. There will still be people too dimwitted to stay on page no matter what. There shouldn't be a King of Batman Director. Russia and America can exist at the same time. We shouldn't prop up a king just for the fools.

If people were already confused with Spider-Man movies where the explanation is "That continuity is over, this is a new one" then running multiple continuities surrounding simultaneously will be even more confusing.  Imagine the sequel to a movie happening after two movies in another continuity came out.  People would be scratching their heads trying to follow it.

I'm fine with DC doing out of continuity one-offs, especially if they do them with novel characters like The Joker.  But I don't see the point in spinning a one-off film into a TV series.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile

If people were already confused with Spider-Man movies where the explanation is "That continuity is over, this is a new one" then running multiple continuities surrounding simultaneously will be even more confusing.  Imagine the sequel to a movie happening after two movies in another continuity came out.  People would be scratching their heads trying to follow it.

I'm fine with DC doing out of continuity one-offs, especially if they do them with novel characters like The Joker.  But I don't see the point in spinning a one-off film into a TV series.

if they're already going to be confused over something that isn't confusing than they can't be helped.  Meanwhile I get more Batman than I've ever got and I can get it at age 38-40 instead of age 60.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 02:26:07 PM by ThePerm »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)
« Reply #829 on: August 02, 2020, 07:16:47 PM »
Watch out for the nerd rage!

It appears no one cared.

I can't believe they tried to paint Rose leaving from nerd outrage when she left for safety reasons, you know, almost breaking her back.

Supergirl this season, was OK, sort of participation award kind of way. It was really direction less and threw Lena under the bus, that wasn't Lena. Very little Kara. Ended in a wet fart. Still better than the dumpster fire of last season(4). What were they even thinking.

Legends was good. **** it, lets just have fun.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #830 on: August 03, 2020, 02:00:26 AM »

It appears no one cared.

Now that you mention it, I didn't see any outcry and am pleasantly surprised.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 03, 2020, 12:46:22 PM »

In the BLM Age, in sure it'll be kept at a minimum..... Publicly.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #832 on: August 03, 2020, 02:13:13 PM »
Touché.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 22, 2020, 04:53:09 PM »
Suicide Squad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tWKJwyG6Y

and there is also a video out for the JL Snyder Cut
https://streamable.com/33p2c0

plus material for The Batman

can't be bothered to track it all down right now as I was looking at it on my phone earlier.
may update this post later.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 22, 2020, 10:49:27 PM »
Black Adam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JHpeVfIKGo

Justice League remake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6512XKKNkU (Complete with Claymation Darkseid)

The Suicide Squad Roll Call: https://youtu.be/p5npfFzwWqw

Wonder Woman 1984: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-g_YNZ90tI

The Batman teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLOp_6uPccQ (Already posted in the Batman thread but putting a copy here for convenience)

4K Batman teaser: https://vimeo.com/450541481
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 11:14:23 PM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 22, 2020, 11:05:52 PM »
My meaningless opinions:

Black Adam: Obviously a hell of a long way off - but I doubt I'll be seeing this at the cinemas. Don't care much about the character and if I never see Dwayne Johnson again it'll be a day too soon. No issues with his acting but I'm just sick to death of seeing him.

Justice League: Unfinished Darkseid aside it's looking really good. Having said that I said the same thing about the trailers for BvS and the original Justice League too. Looking very different to the theatrical release obviously but that's sort of the point. I'm sure the movie will look wonderful. I'm going to be embracing the philosophy of hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I'm hoping it's going to be wonderful, but I'm bracing myself for a high budget version of the Arrowverse Crisis crossover - a complete, nonsensical mess. At least if it has some epic fights scenes it will help. But I can't even hope for that since it's from the same man who thought that the titular fight between Batman and Superman should be an unpowered fistfight. Pathetic. It's Batman and Superman for goodness sake. Could have been at least a little bit of creativity there.

Suicide Squad: Jury still out on this one, and will be for a while since we don't even have a trailer yet. But they are certainly praising it up as the second coming of Christ so if this movie doesn't fix world hunger I'm not going to be impressed. Very curious to see a real trailer though.

Wonder Woman: Quite excited for this one. Loved the first one. Looks like we'll be treated to some more spectacle and cool fight scenes. Not sure about Cheetah yet, but I expect there'll be another form hidden for the climax of the movie. Also finding the reversal of circumstance with Diana and Steve amusing. This time it's Steve learning about society rather than Diana. Hopefully he pulls it off as well as she did.

Batman: I was initially hesitant about Battinson but I'm liking what I'm seeing in the teaser. He's certainly got some one on one chops I'm most curious to see how he'll handle group combat. Suit looks good, some detective work happening which is great. I'm in.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 11:07:40 PM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #837 on: August 24, 2020, 01:30:30 AM »
Following precedent:

Justice League: It was so easy to forget how much from the original trailers/leaks that got cut from the theatrical release.  But the trailer showed mostly "deleted scenes" but also entirely cut plot threads and characters.  This could end up really feeling like a totally different movie, and I'm honestly excited to see it.  Not that I think Snyder finally made a good one again, but at least something coherent.

WW84: I keep forgetting the movie is actually called that, and it's not a fan name.  Just as excited to see it as I was before seeing the new trailer.  Please, just give it to me already.

Suicide Squad:  Huge cast.  Should be alright.  I think John Cena might be a missed opportunity to play Hawk in a Hawk and Dove film (or just as that character in a different film, not sure how they'd fit into the DCEU).

Black Adam: I wish The Rock had "acted" in this voice over instead of just doing a straight reading in his normal TV voice.  The character is often an angry one with a chip on his shoulder, no?  I want to feel that from The Rock, and I wasn't getting it.  This is the closest look we may get at the character for like a year, so I expected at least that much.

Batman: Gave my main thought in the other thread, but I am all in for this movie now.  I was skeptical when the casting was announced, but boy howdy have they sold me a picture.  "I am vengeance" was a great line.  Everything regarding The Riddler that was shown was also just excellent.  The riddles on note cards left specifically for Batman I think play to that character well.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 24, 2020, 01:05:49 PM »
Liking Batman. Kind of refreshing to get a new stand-alone film.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 26, 2020, 04:18:40 AM »
It's such a weird thing for Warner Bros to just change the plotlines of movies after they're basically done filming. I really want to see the Ayer cut.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #840 on: August 26, 2020, 05:29:10 PM »
It's such a weird thing for Warner Bros to just change the plotlines of movies after they're basically done filming. I really want to see the Ayer cut.

Now that Snyder got his... maybe if it works out well, Ayer will get to release his cut, especially since his was all edited in post, I don't believe there was any new footage.

As for the Snyder Cut... I really wonder how much is being reworked from his original vision the way he originally intended, and how much is a reaction to what he was originally doing and seeing how it didn't work in the Zoss Snedon Cut.
People are trying to praise this as what they would've gotten the first time had he been able to finish... but what if this is actually better much different because he's had time to rethink and see reactions to what he was originally aiming for.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: August 26, 2020, 08:23:00 PM »
From what I understand about the Ayer cut is they did reshoots After he made his first cut. Not sure how involved in those Ayer was in those. There was a big push to try to lighten up DC and make it more like Marvel after BVS. One of the **** things about working for a corporation is you might be under contract to pretend you're happy about doing whatever they want publicly.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/What-Suicide-Squad-Reshoots-Were-Actually-About-According-Director-123917.html

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 18, 2020, 12:02:00 PM »
DC Universe rebranding to comic centric service like Marvel Unlimited

and Harley Quinn renewed for 3rd season on HBO Max
(also all DCU streaming video content moving to HBO Max as well)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-universe-rebranding-as-comics-only-platform-in-january?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:13:05 PM by nickmitch »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #844 on: September 24, 2020, 09:12:49 PM »
I haven't seen the theatrical cut of Justice League, but I didn't like Man of Steel. So I'm not exactly holding my breath to see this, and my only reason for wanting to is how much people have been clamoring for it. The most interesting part to me is that the cut didn't really exist. There was probably never a finished Snyder-cut to release, hence why HBO is paying for him to make it now. I wonder if all the extra time will improve or hurt it.

So previously, I speculated that there was no completed Synder cut, but reasonably speaking there shouldn't have been one without some work needed to finish it.  But the news of the budget going up to $70M with actors doing reshoots is crazy.  Previously they were said to be coming back for voiceover work.  It's unclear if they're filming new scenes to stretch the story to fit HBO's planned mini series release or if Snyder just needed some scenes redone.  Now, it's clear that there's things that he actually filmed that got cut from the original, but some people are thinking he's filming new **** entirely, which the price makes seem plausible.

Well, he has the benefit of a fairly good budget of $20M to do SFX and editing work, and the opinions of the #releasethesnydercut fanbois to navigate what to fix and what to flesh out.

I don't assume there will be any additional footage shot, but $10M sounds like sooooo much to just assemble footage from a movie already shot and then add CG effects to it. Entire movies with heavy CG effects have been shot from scratch for less, and this one has already been filmed.... only needs the CG effects.

I of course will not be queuing up to watch this, but if it's free to stream one day, and nothing better is on, I might give it a watch.

He's having the cast come in for recording audio, so there's that.  Also, CGI is really expensive. Good CGI can cost millions for even a few minutes of it.  GOT season 6 allegedly cost $10M per episode, which was a $4M increase over the previous season. (Season 6 was the one with the actual dragons, right? I never watched it.)  So, if Synder has a $20M budget, I imagine half of that is going to CGI, since I think that movie was CGI heavy already, a couple million for the actors' time, and something leftover for him to take (plus pay whoever else he has working on this).

And so now we KNOW he's doing reshoots, which might make sense because Whedon wouldn't have reshot anything that got cut when he and the studio made changes.  I wonder how this compares to other reshoots, but it's clear Snyder is doing a lot more to this film than punching up unused footage.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 25, 2020, 09:54:05 AM »
My whole question into this was "are we getting the original cut Snyder was actually planning to release to theaters back then" or "are we getting his revamped version of what to do after seeing and hearing reactions to what was actually produced already"

I guess the right answer is "Both".

As he did originally envision a 2 part movie involving Darkseid, and this 4 part mini-series lets him do that, but since he also gets to reshoot scenes, and add new ones, I'm sure he's had plenty of time and feedback to rethink the approach on tons of stuff he had already shot and/or written and not yet shot.

I'll check this out for curiosity's sake, but I'm going in with a "this is gonna be so bad, maybe it'll be good" approach, and not the "this'll be awesome" and leave disappointed approach.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #846 on: September 25, 2020, 11:39:18 AM »
I hoping he is able to figure a way to make the 2 part movie he envisioned...tell the Justice League story he wanted to tell and we can put a bow on the beginning of the DC cinematic universe without having to pretend it didn't exist, because some stuff worked.  Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Henry Cavill as Superman.  I am also looking forward to see all the stupid stuff that gets cut from the original release.  I think there is a good story somewhere in there.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #847 on: September 27, 2020, 03:34:52 AM »
An HBO series implies he'd have enough air time to do a two part film, but who's to say that's what he originally filmed? It might be the case, but my bet is we are getting one film stretched out to include years of criticism and expectations.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #849 on: December 16, 2020, 06:26:26 AM »
There was just a Wonder Woman 84  Virtual Premiere and it is really good I loved all the cast and fans that were there virtually.  I loved the Hans Zimmer part of the premiere and the score he had.    Lots of nice surprises at the end for those excited about the movie. 

If you have 30 minutes to kill it is a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okgmpNlnHCw
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.