Author Topic: REVIEWS: Sonic Unleashed  (Read 18859 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
REVIEWS: Sonic Unleashed
« on: December 01, 2008, 01:01:59 PM »
A dumb new gameplay addition ruins another decent attempt at a 3D Sonic game.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=17273

Sega's latest Sonic the Hedgehog game, Sonic Unleashed, was supposed to be a return to the basics after some critically slammed prior games. Sadly, developer Sonic Team added in an extraneous, slow gameplay mechanic (the Werehog) and ruined Sonic Unleashed's lofty ideal and, for me, the series as a whole.    

The game begins with an impressive cinematic opening where Sonic runs in and takes out Eggman's floating space fortress. It is in this opening cut scene that the great graphics are revealed, as Sonic tears down Eggman's robotic army. Eventually, Sonic turns into Super Sonic and takes down the rotund villain, or so he thinks. Eggman presses a button, somehow turning Sonic into a Werehog and making the Earth's seven continents break apart to unleash Dark Gaia. From here on out, the story pops up after every couple levels and does nothing more but get in the way of the gameplay. Even more bothersome are the towns that you encounter. Consisting of about five different people that you talk to, the hub towns add nothing to the game. I'd rather breeze through these static towns than deal with an unnecessary 3D hub world like the Sonic Adventure games.    

As far as the actual gameplay is considered, it is segmented into two different styles: Hedgehog and Werehog. The Hedgehog stages are the best aspect of the game, as they play more like races with branching paths and secrets, and they have solid controls that work well with the various control methods, ranging from Wii Remote and Nunchuk to Classic Controller. These stages feel more like the best parts of the Sonic Adventure games. However, these stages are not the majority of the gameplay; the Werehog levels are.    

Under the veil of night, Sonic transforms into a stretchy-armed Werehog. He is supposed to be seen as a violent creature, but considering that he learns about his stretchy arms from a falling ice cream cone, he is never seen as any kind of dangerous animal. The Werehog stages are clumsy, slow-paced, combat-heavy levels with terrible controls. The combat is dreadful, as it boils down to a waggle-fest or button mashing. Whenever I was faced with the abundant hordes of enemies, I merely shook my Remote and Nunchuk while occasionally repositioning Sonic and his stretchy arms. The platforming aspect is a little better, but it is way too linear and restricting to be fun. There is simply nothing redeeming about this shoddy God of War rip-off.    

On top of the Werehog disappointment, the stage selection is absurdly segmented. With separate tutorials for almost every move, you spend the opening of the game playing fifteen seconds of a tutorial mission, completing it, and then waiting double that time for the next one to load. While the tutorials aren't terrible, they ruin any momentum the game garners in the opening by not organically introducing moves. It also doesn't help that loading happens way too often. Besides the main game, there are also a few side missions, but none of them really go farther than "Collect 100 Rings" or "Finish This Race in X Amount of Time." Thanks to some levels' alternate paths, there is some depth to these missions, but not enough to make up for the rest of the game.    

Sonic Unleashed is a game full of duality. The Hedgehog levels are a lot of fun, and the controls accentuate that. On the flip-side, the Werehog levels are riddled with frustratingly boring combat and gameplay. It never helps that the game can't let go of its ridiculously dumb story.

Pros:

• Great graphics
  •  
  • Hedgehog levels

•        Cons:

• Everything about the Werehog
  •  
  • Focus on the story

•                Graphics:  9.0
           Besides the overabundant load times, Sonic Unleashed runs fast and looks great.

Sound:  7.0
           The only bright side with the music is that it doesn't include any cheesy lyrics. However, the music now just employs a repetitive generic score. The sound effects are typical for the Sonic series.

Control:  6.0
           When you play as Sonic the Hedgehog, the controls are good. When you play as Sonic the Werehog, the controls just boil down into a terrible waggle-fest.

Gameplay:  5.0
           The Hedgehog levels are intricately laid out with branching paths and many secrets. The Werehog levels are very straightforward and boring.

Lastability:  6.0
           There are numerous side missions, but very few of them are interesting. Other than that, once the main story ends, all you can do is replay the levels you already played to get better scores.

Final:  4.0
           Sonic Unleashed is almost halfway to being a good game. The Hedgehog levels are a lot of fun but they get overshadowed by the terrible Werehog levels that do nothing but slow the game down.      

Neal Ronaghan
    Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
    • NWR Junior Ranger
    • Score: -19
      • View Profile
    Re: REVIEWS: Sonic Unleashed
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:09:53 PM »
    I understand that the final score isn't an average of the individual scores, but how is it possible for the final score to be lower than all the other ones?
    Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • Score: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:16:35 PM »
    I understand that the final score isn't an average of the individual scores, but how is it possible for the final score to be lower than all the other ones?

Werehog

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
    • NWR Staff
    • Score: 37
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:11:37 PM »
    I believe this was Neal's formula:

Hedgehog levels = 10
    Werehog levels = 0

The Hedgehog levels make up about 40% of the game, so...
    THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:15:20 PM »
    What Jonny said.

and yes, the Werehog is that bad.
    I'd rather play a Big the Cat game than play as that stretchy-armed abomination.
    Neal Ronaghan
    Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 10
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:39:38 PM »
    I wonder how different the PS3/360 version is. They have completely different levels, so in theory the platforming in Werehog levels and the number of Hedgehog vs Werehog stages could be significantly different.

By the way, I agree with Vudu and am surprised Jonny, former Reviews Editor, would find this set of scores reasonable. If the Werehog levels are that bad, it should be reflected in the control and gameplay scores to the same degree as it is in the final score. The numbers give the strong appearance of unfair bias against this game/series, and is not the sort of score breakdown I would expect to see on NWR.

I was hoping for some discussion on the camera. Prior 3D Sonic games have been riddled with camera problems, and everyone from NWR at E3 was impressed with the 360 version's camera at E3. I guess since you don't complain about the camera, Sega finally got it right.

On a side note, I doubt the Werehog levels would get a ZERO out of 10 if that's all this game was. Jonny's just making a point. I imagine Neal's scoring went more like this:

2 / 10 x .6
    8 / 10 x .4
    = 44%
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:02:09 AM by TheYoungerPlumber »
    ::Michael "TYP" Cole
    ::Associate Editor
    Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 12:00:09 AM »
    I've heard that the PS3/360 has roughly the same amount of Werehog to Hedgehog as the Wii version, just different length of levels.

My reasoning for the differences with the final score and control and gameplay is this:
    The controls are workable and fine, it's just a waggle-fest. The gameplay is an even split of good and bad for me, even though that even split is altered in the final score.
    Neal Ronaghan
    Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 01:20:53 AM »
    The other reviews are on the same wavelength. They love the day portions, and loathe the night portions with a passion.

Even for a Sonic fan like me, the fact that I have to check multiple reviews, as opposed to picking it up on instinct, is pretty sad.

All I can hope for now is that Sonic and the Black Knight is at the same level of Secret Rings.
    Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
    Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
    Ma ma coo sa

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
      • Six Sided Video
    « Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 01:38:22 AM »
    And this is why Swords > dumbhogs
    :: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
    PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 10
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 02:25:38 AM »
    I really don't like how Sega is intent on continuing the Sonic Adventure 2 tradition of shoving both love and hate at us in one indivisible package. Why does Sonic Team think this is a good idea? Is it that they believe the games sell well enough not to risk "screwing things up" by making a 3D Sonic game too short or single-minded?

Seriously, cut the Werehog stuff out, save 30% of the dev time or whatever, and make it a $40 game. $10 off will do wonders for curbing complaints about length, imo. Give us what you did with Sonic Advance 1-3, only in 3-D. That's enough!
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:27:17 AM by TheYoungerPlumber »
    ::Michael "TYP" Cole
    ::Associate Editor
    Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 02:26:23 AM »
    And Sega still didn't get the message that they should stop adding stupid ideas to Sonic?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
    • Score: -1011
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 03:04:52 AM »
    I've never been much of a Sonic fan, but I'll never understand why Sonic Team can't just leave the series core concept well enough alone.  After all these years, they've apparently finally gotten traditional Sonic to work in 3D, and yet they still continue to screw things up by throwing in crap that no one likes.  They just can't leave well enough alone and ship a game that only has the fun stuff, but feel compelled with every installment to come up with something new that's impossible for any sane human being to enjoy.  It's crap like this that makes me wish that the Sonic franchise had been buried 2 generations ago.
    There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 10:54:49 AM »
    I read an interview with someone from Sonic Team as I was finishing the review that said something like "Since Hedgehog levels go by fast, we'd need a lot more space per level and that would equate to only a 3 hour game. So we added in the Werehog so it could be a longer game."

Terrible reasoning.
    Neal Ronaghan
    Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 11:35:55 AM »
    Nothing against the score except in relation to his other scores.  Shouldn't gameplay be a 4 too then?  It just seems the 4 makes scoring the other categories irrelevant.  Why bother then?

• HI I'M CRAZY
      • View Profile
      • Six Sided Video
    « Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 11:40:15 AM »
    This game earns no Fist.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • Score: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »
    They just can't leave well enough alone and ship a game that only has the fun stuff, but feel compelled with every installment to come up with something new that's impossible for any sane human being to enjoy.  It's crap like this that makes me wish that the Sonic franchise had been buried 2 generations ago.
    This.

I will write a longer two cents later.
    Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
    • Score: 35
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 12:23:55 PM »
    Nothing against the score except in relation to his other scores.  Shouldn't gameplay be a 4 too then?  It just seems the 4 makes scoring the other categories irrelevant.  Why bother then?

If it is possible for a thing to be greater than the sum of its parts, then I submit that it is also possible for a thing to be worse than the sum of its parts.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 12:44:12 PM »

The gameplay is an even split of good and bad for me, even though that even split is altered in the final score.
    Neal Ronaghan
    Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
    • Score: 25
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 01:59:41 PM »
    No offense to any of the reviewers here, but after the Super Swing Golf fiasco (NEVER FORGET!!!!!!) I take my reviews with a grain of salt.

Many reviewers have complained about the werehog levels, but very few have rated the game so low like nron has. Most reviews are around 6 to 7, with the very rare 8 popping up.

That's HIS opinion, though. I just decided to take it with a grain of salt as the general belief is that the werehog levels were bad, but not game breakers.

The truth is that even with the werehog levels tying things down "Unleashed" is slowly becoming the best reviewed Sonic console game since Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the GC.

Here's how Gamerankings ranks all the console Sonic games:
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: 72%
    Sonic Adventure DX: 63%
    Sonic Heroes (GC version): 74%
    Shadow the Hedgehog (GC version): 52%
    Sonic 2006 (360, PS3): 45%
    Sonic and the secret rings: 70%
    Sonic Unleashed (Wii): 68%

The 360 version is 66% while the PS3 is, surprisingly, the best rated version with a 74%.

So, "Unleashed" has ranked better than "Sonic 2006", its slowly approaching the same numbers as "Secret Rings" and "might" surpass the first GC games.

Don't know about you, but it seems things are slowly coming into place.
    Pedro Hernandez
    NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
      • View Profile
      • Six Sided Video
    « Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »
    Sonic Heroes shows up at the highest there (74%).

Sorry, this data has to be THROWN OUT.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 02:31:35 PM »
    I wish things were coming into place. Now all I have to hope for is that Sonic and the Black Knight isn't terrible.

I can't stress enough that the Werehog portions are gamebreakers, at least for me. They made the game almost unbearable to play. I think they weren't gamebreakers from some reviewers but, in all honesty, don't die by the score, die by the text. From what I've read in other reviews and seen in my own, we all have the same complaints.
    Neal Ronaghan
    Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 03:00:16 PM »
    Some gamebreakers are more of a gamebreaker for some than others.  For me, gamebreakers always break the game for me and bring me back to gamebreaking reality.  That said, I will trust Nron's opinion here and avoid this game-breaker-breaker-1-9.
    Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
    Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 03:27:24 PM »
    Some gamebreakers are more of a gamebreaker for some than others.  For me, gamebreakers always break the game for me and bring me back to gamebreaking reality.  That said, I will trust Nron's opinion here and avoid this game-breaker-breaker-1-9.

What?

• HI I'M CRAZY
      • View Profile
      • Six Sided Video
    « Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »
    At least he didn't try to edit his poast.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • Score: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »
    I will give SEGA the benefit of the doubt, they did listen to their fans when they set out to make a 3-D Sonic game with 2-D game play. The problem, however, is that their focus on the gameplay went all over the place. Why do we even need the Warehog? Why do we need to explore towns for pointless cutscenes? Why all this extraneous bullshit?

This is the problem with SEGA and Sonic Team. Sonic’s name has fallen so much that the only recent thing that he is remembered for is for Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. All Sonic has to keep him afloat are his loyal fans, and these said fans exist in North America and Europe. Sonic was never popular in Japan, so it’s frustrating that SEGA doesn’t listen to us when we have been pointing out the obvious for eight fucking years.

I do have some faith that they HOPEFULLY listened to us about the flaws in Sonic and the Secret Rings. It had a simple story, it wasn't all over the place gameplay wise and the level design was great. However, the camera was a bit iffy, the jumping controls were annoying, music was terrible and there were TOO many side missions. Sonic and the Black Knight looks great, but if it has flaws that weren’t fixed, then someone should consider disbanding Sonic Team/Sega Studio USA.

Or give Sonic to Nintendo, where they will treat him with respect. Which is highly unlikely to happen. (Then again, wasn’t Nintendo the reason Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games turned out okay?)
    Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?