Author Topic: WOW, Super Mario Strikers Charged is shaping up quite well  (Read 37665 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: WOW, Super Mario Strikers Charged is shaping up quite well
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2007, 06:51:44 AM »

in my head a imagine "what if the legends are true and their gods walked the earth.. it would be so awesome if they played that game like strikers.. quetzelquatle (sp?) gest the ball, engulfs in flame, and shoots a megastrike!"

Lol! Hey if I were a god and there were other gods around, that's what I would do!

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2007, 09:42:26 AM »
Yeah you just need to play the game some more there NeoThunder.  Hammers aren't as unbalanced as they seem at first glance.  It's just one of the more obvious ways to score in the game.  And so rookies will gravitate towards it.

If you play others and the cpu on harder levels you see that the key is to stay away and hit them just after they do their deke or start to charge up.  

I think the bigger worry is that players find some kind of glitch and abuse it to hell making the game alot less fun online.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
RE:WOW, Super Mario Strikers Charged is shaping up quite well
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2007, 11:57:33 AM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure
if you know anything about mayan civilization, they used to play a game that was a hybrid of soccer and basketball where they'd have to get a ball like object in to a suspended ring by only using the lower half of their bodies. some speculate they played such games to honor the gods.

I remember reading something about this, but weren't those games to the death? The one that lost was killed or beheaded or his heart was ripped out of his chest and offered to the gods...just like in Strikers.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2007, 03:42:32 PM »

Originally posted by: trip1eX
I think the bigger worry is that players find some kind of glitch and abuse it to hell making the game alot less fun online.

I find it irritating when the game matches me against people with 1,190 points 120 wins and 30 losses. Aren't there enough newbie players like me to play against?

Other than that, I don't think it's really unbalanced, but I agree that the toad thing is cheap as hell.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2007, 05:54:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban

if you know anything about mayan civilization, they used to play a game that was a hybrid of soccer and basketball where they'd have to get a ball like object in to a suspended ring by only using the lower half of their bodies. some speculate they played such games to honor the gods.

I remember reading something about this, but weren't those games to the death? The one that lost was killed or beheaded or his heart was ripped out of his chest and offered to the gods...just like in Strikers.

At the end there i did say it was to honor the gods, which human sacrifice was viewed as some times.

S_b:

at least you get to compete. I've had the game since launch and i've only played three matches online, only one being ranked. I have 14 points to my name while the leader boards are filled with people with scores in the hundreds. Every day i can't compete my rank gets lower and lower. To be honest its pissing me off
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2007, 01:59:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
Should anyone really even cite real soccer as a precedence for rulings in this game?

I mean come on, we have bombs going off on the filed, players smashing each other into electrified inviso-walls, captains who can do multiple super shots on a goal at the same time, sages that have lighting or lava or wind (etc) effect the play of game.

I don't think strikers was in any way going for that soccer sim feel haha.

ohh ya, since it's an extream version of a sports game.....there's no need to take any rules into account when making the game

GOOD POINT.......DURRRHHH!!!!!!!
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2007, 02:17:50 AM »

Originally posted by: NeoThunder

Should anyone really even cite real soccer as a precedence for rulings in this game?

I mean come on, we have bombs going off on the filed, players smashing each other into electrified inviso-walls, captains who can do multiple super shots on a goal at the same time, sages that have lighting or lava or wind (etc) effect the play of game.

I don't think strikers was in any way going for that soccer sim feel haha.

ohh ya, since it's an extream version of a sports game.....there's no need to take any rules into account when making the game

GOOD POINT.......DURRRHHH!!!!!!!

Actually Mashiro does have a pretty interesting point.  Look, the game is soccer in the basic idea that Soccer includes people running down a field kicking a ball into a net.  So if you are going to name it a sport its soccer or football, whatever.

However, with the added aggression in this game, it really becomes something beyond Soccer.  It becomes a strange Hockey, Soccer, Rugby hybrid.  Throw in cartoon characters and special moves and power ups, and really the last thing on your mind should be...Hey this needs to be following the official rules to soccer more closely.

Offline therat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2007, 03:17:14 AM »
its arcade style, it isn't slow and boring. yawn, goood morning all!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2007, 04:49:06 AM »
I admit this game can have a "fling your wiimote across the room" level of frustration, but if it bothers you that much, Neo, learn to use the Toad trick (or play as Peach/Daisy who can also do it).

Yeah, it's cheap, but if they game allows it, do it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2007, 06:14:48 AM »
I just realized I misspelled stages with sages heh.

Anyway ty Spak.

Neo I already told you how to defend against the toads so stop crying and go learn some new defense skills =)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2007, 09:03:04 AM »

I'm pretty sure it was the winner that had the "honor" of being sacrificed.  After all, why would you offer the loser to the gods?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2007, 09:06:32 AM »
I FINALLY played the game online and I don't know if it was me or the other guy but things were super laggy and not much fun. Though I can say without a doubt that the hammer bros are not overpowered and can be stopped pretty easily. Really I am amazed by how balanced the game is, granted I haven't seen or done that toad thing, but everything seems to have both positives and negatives. Megastrikes aren't even impossible to stop if you are good enough, heck I kept the guy I was playing from scoring once from one (other times I stopped him while he was charging which makes him vulnerable).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2007, 09:53:29 AM »

Neo I already told you how to defend against the toads so stop crying and go learn some new defense skills =)

Just telling him to "learn some new defense skills" is not at all helpful.

My recommendation: play with at least one Drybones, and I recommend having 2, especially if you use a slow captain.

The #1 anti-toad device is to have a character at the ready who can always outrun the little bastards, and Drybones is it.

I personally recommend 2 Drybones and one "power" sidekick, such as a hammer bros, Birdo (as much as I despise the damn thing), or a mole, then, you play the following mindgame: pass the ball to your power sidekick (presumably up the field near the enemy goal). Hold the B button and get ready to hit your deke button the SECOND an enemy player comes near you (they will, I promise), then, hit deke while continuing to hold B: your character can and WILL deke out of a charge shot!

This is, by far, the best way to use power characters: they're too slow to be defensive, but the fact that their deke's can stun other players is the key to their power and by using the charge shot, you FORCE them to attack you.

I FINALLY played the game online and I don't know if it was me or the other guy but things were super laggy and not much fun.

Keep trying. Just remember to reject any match which doesn't show 4 stars, and WATCH the stars or a moment or two before you accept: they can go down while it's waiting for you to confirm.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2007, 10:03:10 AM »
This might seem like a dumb question, but does this game have online co-op play of any sort? Is the "invite guest" option only for a second player in real life? In short, can you invite an online friend to play co-op with you?

I ask because I am not sure how the guest option works and the times I have tried it never shows "invite friends from buddy list" option.

Can anyone help me?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2007, 10:23:28 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
This might seem like a dumb question, but does this game have online co-op play of any sort? Is the "invite guest" option only for a second player in real life? In short, can you invite an online friend to play co-op with you?

I ask because I am not sure how the guest option works and the times I have tried it never shows "invite friends from buddy list" option.

Can anyone help me?

I'm pretty sure you can only co-op with a friend playing on the same system as you.

Just telling him to "learn some new defense skills" is not at all helpful.

Well considering my friend played with 4 different team styles and set ups and every time he was able to stop toad, I felt it was pretty self explanatory. See: toad is not as cheap or unstoppable as he says and he's overly crying over it.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2007, 01:20:04 PM »

Well considering my friend played with 4 different team styles and set ups and every time he was able to stop toad, I felt it was pretty self explanatory. See: toad is not as cheap or unstoppable as he says and he's overly crying over it.

Yeah, but your post boiled down to a politer version of "LOL cry more, nub".

If you're going to suggest that there's a strategy to defeating toads, do what I did and actually suggest a plan.

Primarily, make certain you keep a fast character on defense to clobber toads before they get too close (and Diddy and Peach, since they can ALSO do the leap over the goalie).

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2007, 01:41:32 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that all the online stats have been erased? I just went online for a random match, and before I went in I checked my stats on the Friends, and Overall (I think that's what it is), and they were gone, back to zero.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that all the online stats have been erased? I just went online for a random match, and before I went in I checked my stats on the Friends, and Overall (I think that's what it is), and they were gone, back to zero.

Oh nooooooooo, I will lose my 2 pts!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 06, 2007, 01:51:01 PM »
lol, well for me it isn't a big deal since I had a pretty bad record, although I thought it was funny because I'm guessing someone accidently pressed the red button of annihilation and all our stats went the wazoo, even though it's free online gaming so there should be nobody there getting paid to accidently press the red button of annihilation.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2007, 01:56:36 PM »
Nintendo is trying equalize everyone so no one feels bad and starts to cry because only kids play Mario Strikers.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2007, 02:00:18 PM »
Somehow I almost believe you.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2007, 02:10:53 PM »

Yeah, but your post boiled down to a politer version of "LOL cry more, nub".

If you're going to suggest that there's a strategy to defeating toads, do what I did and actually suggest a plan.

ok . . .

(what I originally wrote on the previous page about Toad.)

It's not always a given though. Plus just do as my friend does, he doubles up the goal when he sees toad running in so even if I do get by the goalie he still stops me.

That sounds like suggesting a plan to me. Because I didn't go into details suggesting a character makes it a polite QQ more post? My later posts may have been but not the suggestion/start.

Have a second person near the goal. There's the strat. My friend does it with various characters every time. Tada. Problem solved.

Offline NeoThunder

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2007, 02:45:32 PM »
first in response to the questions about stats.  In case nobody noticed at the top of the screen when play online it says how long is left in the season.  Just so you know seasons last 7 day and stats are reset, and the end of the season is every monday morning at 3 am central

OK, since you guys never really read my post and only find something in it to tear me down with i'll try to repeat myself and clearify at the same time...

1.  When it comes to rules I was basically stating I don't think it's fair to have it so you can just walk into the goal with the ball....I'm not the first to say that

2.  I've said before that I have gotten a lot better and can defend real well against cheap players now and can level the playing field against cheap players....still hate them though.  

3.  I have never said the game was totally unbalanced.  What I said was the game was a little unbalanced and I didn't think it sould be that easy for people to pull of cheap tricks that they do.  I simply thought that the game could have been retooled a little so people couldn't pull of such cheap tricks, and the reason it's obvious they are cheap tricks is because so many people use them over and over.  YES, you can defend against them but it is harder to defend against them than it is to use those attacks and kicks.  

4.  Having said everything above, I still think this is a 5 star game.  In spite of the small flaws.  I love the intense gameplay and how with the right moves and skill, the game can quicky turn into your hands, and I love the graphics and I think they are beautiful, and the scratch, burn and dirt marks on the charaters after they have been attacked or thrown into a wall is a nice touch
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2007, 03:31:08 PM »

Originally posted by: NeoThunder
first in response to the questions about stats.  In case nobody noticed at the top of the screen when play online it says how long is left in the season.  Just so you know seasons last 7 day and stats are reset, and the end of the season is every monday morning at 3 am central

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, thanks for clearing it up.

Offline NeoThunder

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2007, 05:48:35 AM »
Has anyone seen the "Striker of the Day".  It is a prime example of the A-Holes out there that try to ruin online gaming for the rest of us.

Incase anyone wants to know without logging onto strikers, the person's gamertag is "SukItFuckr" and his Mii face is........A penis and balls

I've called Nintendo to tell them about it and encourage everyone else too as well

1-800-255-3700
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>