Author Topic: iPod Touch  (Read 13383 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
RE:iPod Touch
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 04:53:54 AM »
agreed w/ 18 days.
in response to Matt:

honestly, i forgot about the auto complete. It did help w/ typing the one time i was able to use it. I think i put it in my review i wrote around the time it came out.

About the 8gb: i do have more than 8gb of media that i'll want to listen to at any given time. The only thing that i love more than Nintendo is music, and i listen to music any chance i get.

I currently own an iRiver H10 that holds 20gb. It stopped being recognised by my (or any) PC after only putting about 10 gigs of music on there, and thats only a fraction of my collection. Those 10 gigs are only 13 different artist. I'm the kind that has every cd for every artist in my collection plus bonus stuff like remix albums or singles collections and b-sides. Take The Cure for example, i have all 10 studio albums, 1 remix album, 1 import “singles” collection (which is full of songs not released on albums so its pretty much its own album), 3 bonus full-length discs of period era B-sides to with the their first 3 albums (with more to come), a “complete” collection of b sides, demos, and remixes that was released before the previously mentioned bonus discs (collection is 4 discs), 1 greatest hits album (different pound quality + a bonus track), 1 acoustic version of the greatest hits album, and for emphasis, 1 cure tribute album.

Now thats just one band, i'm like that with most of the artists i like. I'm sure its easy to see how 8 or even 16 gigs just won't cut it. Yeah, i know there might be a song album or artist that gets played less than the others, so why have them take up my storage space? well, because i can. It sounds a bit snobbish that way but it shouldn't. All i'm saying is that we all know its possible to get 80gb or more in a portable device, so give me that option.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: iPod Touch
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 08:03:31 AM »
Well I took the plunge and just bought the 80GB iPod. I'm happy that I went with it. The new UI is totally awesome(a little slow though), and the features are fantastic. I played around with the iPhone while I was in the Apple store and I really hated the touch screen keyboard, so I really don't feel bad about skipping the iPod Touch. The new metallic matte finish on the iPod is also very nice (no smudges). Overall 9/10, it loses a point because of the slow UI.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline UERD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 11:17:41 AM »
I went ahead and ordered the 16GB touch. I can live with the small storage capacity and I already have a cell phone. If nothing else, it'll be nice to have a portable device that can browse the internet without paying $30.00 a month for a cellular data plan or having to lug a laptop around.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 11:18:48 AM »
Yeah I think I am going for that model as well (the 16GB touch).

Though you need Wifi to go online =)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 01:32:36 PM »
If I was going to buy a DAP, I would go for the newest Samsung models, apparently the sound quality is better, and they support more audio file types than ipod, I like to use ogg.

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 07:03:25 PM »
EasyCure, I hear what you are saying about having lots of albums per band.  I'm exactly the same way.  I have way too many complete box collections as well, but the fact of the matter is this.  In a 24 hour day, I can at most listen to 24 hours worth of music.  Would you disagree?  I have over 100 hours of music on my phone (in addition to plenty of music videos, video podcasts, short films I've done, and The Two Towers).  I can only listen to so much of that in a day.  Usually how I do it is put a few bands I'm more likely to listen to that day, and then put on some I haven't heard for a while.  It makes what music is there feel fresh, and every time I come home I can have it randomly refill, or randomly refill the remaining space after all my top rated tracks make it on.

I'm not going to argue that having all 80 gigs of your music on your person isn't a better thing.  To argue that is ridiculous.  I'm not sure I want to know how much an iPhone with 80 gigs of storage would cost though.  That would be crazy.  What I am saying, is that I've seen people in your position (Remember, I was one of them) that hold to the idea that a portable devise must hold EVERYTHING that is on your computer when you are on the go.  It's simply not necessary (although I will give you that it's convenient).  What is ridiculous is turning down a product for silly reasons.  I had the 30 gig iPod (back when my collection would fit inside of that), but then I downgraded to a 2 gig nano simply for the form factor (and ironically, I would heartedly recommend the nano over the full size, but that's a different story).  What I was surprised to find is how much I could actually fit into that.  I've never had issues with the space limitations given, although you are correct I can't hold my whole library.  Oh, and if you want to talk about devises that can hold everything on my computer on the go, care to find me a handheld that has over two terabytes of storage?  If you could, I would love you forever. ;-)

Also, the keyboard on the iPhone takes most users about a day to become fluent on it.  I could barely tap out a message when I first used it, and the auto correct didn't help me much.  In time, after it got used to me, and I got used to it we have a much better relationship.  30  WPM is the fun-lovin' truth man.

(Oh, and about being a lover of music?  I'm currently directing a Rock Opera Musical.  I know what that means.  :-))

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 09:03:40 AM »

fall asleep listening to music, wake up listening to music, shower, eat, and even held a couple of jobs where i listened to music (that i liked) at work. when i go out the stereo is always blasting, i even made a lil whole in the pannel so that my AUX cable sticks thru so i can hook up my mp3 player or a friends ipod just to keep the music flowing (if not i use mp3 cd's but even when i have like 200 songs on those i find myself switching out for other mp3 cd's like craaazy). so yeah, music is a big part of my life and i like to have lots of different things with me at all times becuase you never know what mood you'll be in, and im sure you can understand. i just wouldnt want to compromise what i listen to, because thats how i see it as. I wouldnt remember to switch out albums or artists to keep refreshing the player, i'd rather just have it all in and not fuss with it. That way if i'm driving home in the rain and feeling bummed out i can put on something slightly depressing to fit the mood, or if its super sunny out and every girl on the street is wearing tiny tops and short-shorts i can blash something dancy and fun to get my energy up and just feel good, of if im pissed i can put on some metal and just thrash inside my head lol. The one thing i can't stand is listening to a song, remembering another one having that feeling of "ugh.. damn i dont have that on here..." it just blows, and ruins my day man.

it may be unnecessary but like you said, it is convenient, and i'd just rather have it then not.

the storage space isn't the only issue though, the price is a hurdle for me. I know its been reduced but  between the price of the phone itself and pricing plans, theres no waay i could afford that (hell i cant afford anything right now but that a whooooole other story). correct me if im wrong, the minimum charge is around $60 for 500mins a month right? i dont remember how many text messages are included with the data plan but i know for unlimited its a pretty hefty fee. I'm basically a text whore. alot of my friends text me from work because its much easier than making a call and im fine with it, but it did get out of hand for a bit so i upgraded to unlimited and i dont have to worry. My plan (with tmobile) is $60 a month with 1500 mins (no free nights/weekends tho) and unlimited text. by the end of the month i have like 200 mins to spare, give or take, and a countless amount of text. Heres an example.. my current bill started on the 29th, its the 8th today and i've used: 2022 text messages so far. Lets see how many i use by the end of the month.

fact is to get what i need out of it as a phone is just going to be too expensive considering my alternatives. maybe by the 2nd or 3rd generation iphone a bigger storage capacity will finally pursauade me to drop my dollar on it, but as of now i just cant. Like is said i can barely afford my phone bill as is (out of steady work, doing freelance stuff to get by) but when i do get a steady job i will plan to upgrade, just not to an iphone. Maybe in the future, cuz it is a cool little product.

oh and if i did find a portable storage device with over 2 terabytes of storage i wouldnt tell you about it. not to be greedy i just dont know you well enough to embrace your man love :-P

ps good luck on the rock opera!
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 02:07:14 PM »
So, I pre-ordered my iPod touch, and it's supposed to ship on the 28th. Meanwhile, I can walk into the store and buy one. But apparently there's some problem with the display quality with the early models, so it's I guess all good.

I can't wait until Apple/third-party hackers enable the Secret Bluetooth Chip and write third-party software! Yay for lack of FCC approval!
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 03:17:33 PM »
Yeah I heard about the display problems with the iPod Touch . . . I've been debating which I want now because of it to be honest.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 03:26:49 PM »
I heard it was supposedly a manufacturing defect with the very first batch of units, but I'm not too sure. Anyways, would it have killed them to just put the iPhone screen in?  
- thatguy

- vudu

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 03:35:15 PM »

Originally posted by: UERD
I heard it was supposedly a manufacturing defect with the very first batch of units, but I'm not too sure. Anyways, would it have killed them to just put the iPhone screen in?

Yeah seriously.

I was also dissapointed to hear the back of the iPod touch is apparently not as scratch resistant as the iPhone.

What gives Apple? I wonder why they don't (like you said) use the same parts as the iPhone.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 04:29:47 PM »
To cut corners and have a huge supply ready for the holidays

thats my guess

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 08:36:05 AM »
And still make profit.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2007, 08:20:27 AM »

To cut corners and have a huge supply ready for the holidays

They certainly did cut corners, with the touch screens and the crappy iPod firmware. But apparently the screen problem is an isolated manufacturing defect that only affected the first batch.

iPod touch is apparently not as scratch resistant as the iPhone.

The iPhone back was some sort of brushed aluminum. The iPod touch back is the same polished metal that was used with the older iPods.
- thatguy

- vudu

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2007, 08:29:32 AM »
i think the remarks about scratches were towards the screen not the back of the product.

i've seen a few videos putting the iphone to the "scratch test" and it holds up pretty well, thats where im making that basis from. i could be wrong

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2007, 08:31:38 AM »
From what I hear, both the iPhone and the iPod touch have glass on the front, and are both very scratch-resistant.

By the way, Mashiro said back, but I copied wrong when I quoted him. So sorry about that
- thatguy

- vudu

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2007, 08:43:08 AM »
ah i see, my mistake. hm i wouldnt care if the back got a lil scratch now and again as long as the screen was good, thats the most important part in my opinion

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2007, 12:46:25 PM »
No worries UERD =)

Yeah I wouldn't mind as much either (the screen being ok and not the back as much) but still if it doesn't effect a near identical product, why is it effecting the back at all? That's all.

As usually I think I'll wait for revision A to come out ^^

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: iPod Touch
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »
My brother just hooked me up with an iPod 2G 32gb. I can finally get rid of my old ass, broken screen iPod.

Unfortunately, I can't fit all my songs onto it, but regardless, I love it! I'm liking the App store. I've already downloaded about 15 of them. I especially like the Remote App.  Now if I can just get it to work with Media Monkey.....
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »
I love the remote app.  It makes playing RFN from my bathroom a breeze.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 06:04:31 PM »
I don't know if a similar thing is available on the App Store (I assume it would be) but if you have jailbroken your iPod I recommend an app called Pocket Touch.  It allows you to control your music without having to look at the screen, so you can keep it in your pocket.  It solves, albeit imperfectly, one of the biggest abilities lost when making the switch to the Touch.  Obviously buttons still work better, but this is the next best thing.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2009, 01:04:02 AM »
I got an iPhone 3G for Christmas.  I absolutely love the thing.

Buy Rolando, it's a great game.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2009, 10:45:23 PM »
I bought Rolando when they advertised it on 1up Yours and played it for about 5 minutes, I haven't done anything with it since. I'm starting to get as backlogged on my iPhone as I am on my DS, Wii, and 360.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »
I want one just to play SimCity 3000 again.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2009, 04:21:33 AM »
I want one just to play SimCity 3000 again.

The first SimCity for the DS (SimCity DS) is a pretty decent port of SC 3000.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent