Author Topic: No GameCube Support For Wii U  (Read 14722 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
No GameCube Support For Wii U
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:29:37 PM »

Cube controllers and software will not work with Nintendo's new system.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26632

The GameCube will not be compatible with the Wii U, Nintendo's new system to be released in 2012, according to Nintendo of America Director of Public Relations Marc Franklin.

The system, originally released in 2001, was compatible with the Wii, and the Wii even featured GameCube controller and memory card ports. Certain Wii games used the GameCube controller ports, and some of them, such as Namco Bandai's Active Life games required them. The latter games will likely not work with Wii U at all.

On the other hand, all Wii software and controllers will work with Wii U.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: No GameCube Support For Wii U 
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »
I figured this, though I have wondered about the fact that, as mentioned in this article, there are several Wii accessories that make use of the GameCube ports - and Nintendo is claiming that "all" Wii Accessories will be compatible with Wii U
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:40:58 PM »
oh noes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:42:05 PM »
The new console will have 4 USB ports, so it may be possible to rig up some adapter to it in order to connect GC controller to the console.
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 07:44:14 PM »
That's the spirit Chozo! Your off my list.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:02 PM »
Kind of unrelated, but I wonder if they could rig it so I could use the Wii U controller as a Classic Controller in Wii games. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's possible; it's more of a question of whether Nintendo would put in the effort.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »
That's the spirit Chozo! Your off my list.

I was on a list? What list?
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:49:30 PM »
Naturally, there is no GC support on Wii U.  They want to turn around and sell us all those games again for $20 on the Virtual Console or $40 on the 3DS.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »
Naturally, there is no GC support on Wii U.  They want to turn around and sell us all those games again for $20 on the Virtual Console or $40 on the 3DS.

You say that like it's a bad thing even for those that never owned a GCN.  :(

Offline Joshums

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Wow, being able to play my GameCube games would have been a major factor in deciding whether or not to buy this thing.  Looks like I'm skipping yet another generation of Nintendo consoles.
Ph33r teh Joshums!!!11

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 07:57:20 PM »
Figured this might be the case and as suggested this could me GameCube remakes (3DS maybe?) or downloaded versions via whatever online system they have.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »

And Sony/MS doesn't? Sony pulled ALL BC support on the PS3, and Microsoft only offers it for some Xbox games on the 360. I'd say judging by that, Nintendo isn't so bad.
is your sanity...

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 07:59:10 PM »
Kinda sucks but it's no biggie. Quick question do you think the Gamecube was closer to the wii than the Wii is to the Wiiu?

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 08:04:36 PM »
Yeah, Sony seems to have taken that approach. They could work on some kind of software BC, but they'd much rather sell you the games again via compilation discs.

As for Microsoft, it's very impressive how well their backwards compatibility works given the huge differences between the original Xbox and the 360 hardware. The vast majority of games (at least of the ones you'd care to play) are compatible, and they continued to refine their emulation process and make new games compatible well after launch.

Kinda sucks but it's no biggie. Quick question do you think the Gamecube was closer to the wii than the Wii is to the Wiiu?

I think this is definitely true. The Wii was closer to the GameCube than to the other two current consoles, and the Wii U's capabilities seem to exceed those systems.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 08:12:22 PM »
The new console will have 4 USB ports, so it may be possible to rig up some adapter to it in order to connect GC controller to the console.

I had a similar solution to this dilema back when I was talking about my Virtual Console adapter that plugs inot the Gamecube port of the Wii. If I get the WiiU then I am SOL in terms of having the ability to play VC titles with their respective controllers.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 08:26:39 PM »
I'm not surprised at this at all, in fact I expected it because including GameCube disc support and ports would add unnecessary cost to the system. Does anyone truly care about GameCube support? It was the least popular system of its generation so I figure most Wii users probably never even used the feature once. Besides, anyone who still plays GameCube games likely has a GameCube too.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 08:32:26 PM »
The majority of Wii owners probably don't even know the ports are there, and if you were to show them they would probably just get confused.
is your sanity...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 08:35:57 PM »
The only issue I have with this is for people who prefer to play Smash Brothers Brawl, or a future iteration, on a GC controller. Beyond that it isn't a big deal.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 08:39:11 PM »
I wouldn't think it would be too hard to transition from a GameCube pad to a CC Pro, especially since you can remap the buttons.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »
Yeah, the Classic Controller Pro is pretty similar to the GameCube controller so that shouldn't be an issue either. The only problem would be if games included support for the GameCube controller but not the Classic, though I don't know if that was ever the case.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 08:44:01 PM »
The question for those of us who keep their old systems is which is better for Gamecube games?  The Wii or a Gamecube?  This is assuming you have transferred your WiiWare and VC games to the WiiU.  So basically either system is just for GC games.  The reason I ask is that it seems silly to have a Wii just for GC games.  But I don't want to pay more money that I need to get a component cable for my GC (assuming it has the port), while I already own one for my Wii.

Offline JohnBgon

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • LL2H.com
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 08:46:40 PM »
Yeah, that makes me kind of uneasy.  When Brawl came out, I bought 2 wave birds to complete a set of 4.  I wouldn't mind that I will no longer be able to use them in a future Wii U Smash Bros. if they finally decided to remake the Wavebird controller with Bluetooth and Rumble.  I do not like the classic controller's placement of the buttons and second joystick. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
Well, if you have or will get the Game Boy Player or Broadband Adapter, you'll need a GameCube to use those accessories. Otherwise, a Wii and a GameCube are quite literally the same thing, so just use whichever one is more convenient for you.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »
I have a feeling I won't be able to easily play my import Wii games on the Wii U, so I'll keep my Wii around for those and my GC games.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Dave87

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 08:59:47 PM »

Well, it was expected.. I don't think anyone expected it to run GC Games. But there might be GC games on the virtual console now..

Bah.. Now to sell my Wii before gamestop lowers its trade value to 20$ like they do every time a new console is announced.. Then place a pre order even though I don't really want this -_-

Damn you Nintendo for tapping into my inner child!

Also anyone know if there's anywhere that you can pre order from? Amazon doesn't have it up yet and the only site I saw that has some sort of recognition for pre orders is www.preorder-wiiu.com.. but even there you still can't pre order.