Author Topic: EA's Peter Moore Talks Company's View of Wii U  (Read 4124 times)

Offline tylerohlew

• NWR Staff
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
EA's Peter Moore Talks Company's View of Wii U
« on: October 31, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »

Will Madden find a home on the eShop?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32334

Electronic Arts' Peter Moore spoke on the Wii U, noting that, while its online structures are an improvement over the Wii's, EA is unwilling to commit to digital delivery of its games through the eShop.

In an interview with Wired, EA's chief operating officer explained that the company is taking a wait and see approach with the Wii U's eShop. Madden 13, Mass Effect 3, and FIFA 13 will remain disc-only for the console, with future titles being decided on based off eShop sales of other companies' titles.

Moore addresses the Wii U by comparing it to Nintendo's predecessor, the Wii. He likens the Wii to a meteor that, after its time in the sky, has all but vanished from view. He notes that the system lacked the ability to keep hold of its customers and keep them playing. Moore believes that the lack of a proper online infrastructure was in part to blame. He concludes by saying that the Wii U is an improvement over that model, but disputes how far 32 GB of memory can carry the user as his or her library builds.

Offline geo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: EA's Peter Moore Talks Company's View of Wii U
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »
Sounds to me like Nintendo said 'no' to Origin support on Wii U, so EA said no to Nintendo.  Their loss, I guess.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:51:06 PM »
Man, EA is seriously pissed at Nintendo (or vice-versa, or maybe both).

Remember when then-EA CEO, John Ricatello, came out on stage during Nintendo's E3 2011 presentation to say how much EA would support the Wii U? Remember that?
Now look at therm, just a little over a year later. Like fallen lovers.

I think a couple of things probably happened:
1. EA could not convince good ol' stubborn Nintendo to embrace EA's Origin as the Wii U's exclusive online solution. Good for the Big N on that one. Now EA is bad mouthing Nintendo's online solution. Hmmm, curious...
2. Nintendo favoured Ubisoft most during games development for the launch of Wii U. EA became the jilted lover. How very French of EA.

edit: geo beat me to observation #1.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:11:33 PM by Fatty_The_Hutt »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »
Fatty, Ricatello hasn't been President of EA since 2004 (though he has been CEO since 2007).

Hopefully other companies do well enough with digital sales on Wii U that EA jumps on board.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 01:02:58 PM »
If Memory Serves EA has stopped releasing games on Steam as well (or at least Mass Effect 3)  Which makes sense if you think about it.  Your trying to make a competitor in Origin so all digital must be Origin.  By not releasing digital on Wii U they are not cutting themselves out of that.  Just keeping to the traditional Medium.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 01:04:53 PM »
In this case, I wouldn't call Nintendo stubborn. The potential ramifications of giving a single 3rd party publisher that much pull on Wii U could have devastated Nintendo's strained, but slowly improving relationships with every other 3rd party in existence. Even if Nintendo held veto power with a hypothetical Origin on Wii U (i.e. EA wants to introduce X and Y, Nintendo says, "STFU, no"), I think they made the right call. The path to earning 3rd party trust isn't to align with just 1 of them.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 01:26:54 PM »
Fatty, Ricatello hasn't been President of EA since 2004 (though he has been CEO since 2007).
Oops, thanks. The great thing about these boards is I knew I could count on someone to pick up the slack on my no-research.

edit: fixed original post.
Also, who fuckin cares anyway? Just sayin.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:14:22 PM by Fatty_The_Hutt »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »
I'm not buying Madden or FIFA this year for Wii U because they're missing features from the 360 and PS3 versions, but I want to get the Wii U ones next year assuming they're up to date with the others, and I'd like to buy them digitally, so I hope EA gets over their little feud with Nintendo by then.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »
I think there is some merit to what he says. They still need to see how quickly people will catch on when it comes to attaching an external HD to the Wii U. I don't know how much work it takes to make a game ready for digital distribution but I imagine the costs greatly outweigh the potential profit the potential profit greatly outweigh the costs. Especially considering the publisher will take a larger cut from a digital purchase as opposed to a retail purchase at the same price.

Undoubtedly if Nintendo had gone with Origin then EA would be all over it like bees and honey.

Now that I that I've thought more about it Peter Moore is so sour he should be working in the vinegar business.
(yeah I got that from Professor Layton)

EDIT: Oops
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 07:08:47 PM by MrPhishfood »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
It's not really harder to make a digital version, even a couple dozen people buying it would recoup the cost.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure the digital version requires almost no work, it's just the same thing that gets pressed onto the disc except uploaded to a server.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »
Having worked on an EA Wii game with online multiplayer and having SEEN how many people actually used the feature in the past, I can't say I'm surprised by this and I also can't say that EA's particularly wrong about the Wii.  However, this is a pretty hilarious bit of backpeddling after EA really came out to shill Wii U's online service at E3 2011.

I guess Nintendo just burned their last bridge with EA when they allegedly rejected EA's desire to funnel everything through Origin.  Were they wrong to do so?  *shrugs* Probably not, but I can understand why EA's so cold to the Wii U right now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:11:24 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 04:11:12 PM »
Nintendo absolutely made the right decision there, though, and EA was pretty unreasonable to expect Nintendo to go along with that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 05:42:51 PM »
It certainly seems tough to release a system in this day and age, when everyone wants it to "prove" something first.

Offline TruenoGT

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 06:30:01 PM »
EA cares more about its shareholders than its customers these days anyway. Nintendo will do fine without their half-ass ports of half-ass games.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 10:11:47 PM »
Nintendo absolutely made the right decision there, though, and EA was pretty unreasonable to expect Nintendo to go along with that.

EA is acting like the guy at the other end of the bar that was buying drinks for a girl.

mouse here for example

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 11:07:27 PM »
So I guess that we will never get Dead Space 3 for the Wii U?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 11:49:44 PM »
EA will still do it because it will be easy money for them.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 01:34:23 PM »
oh, EA, just keep shooting yourselves in the foot.  that'll show 'em!!

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 10:17:13 AM »
It could be the reimbursement model (wiiware had to sell 5,000 copies before developer saw a dime) coupled with the lack of storage options that is putting EA off. 

I wouldn't completely absolve Nintendo of blame since this is a current theme of big name third party publishers not including things that they have on other consoles.  Having said that, I'm not sure their is any consumer that is download only and the disc will be available, so this doesn't really limit consumer options in any way. 

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »
It could be the reimbursement model (wiiware had to sell 5,000 copies before developer saw a dime) coupled with the lack of storage options that is putting EA off.
Too bad EA did nothing on WiiWare...

And eShop doesn't have that restriction...

And Wii U as a matter of fact has more storage options than any other consoles.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks