Author Topic: 3DS Remake of Dragon Quest VII Announced and Dated  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Kikori

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
3DS Remake of Dragon Quest VII Announced and Dated
« on: October 31, 2012, 01:42:46 AM »

We didn't have to wait long to get a confirmation of the rumor.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32322

A 3DS remake of Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshitachi (Warriors of Eden) will be released in Japan on February 7, 2013, a newly opened Square Enix webpage confirmed. 

As was rumored, it is being developed by ArtePiazza, the developer of DS remakes of DQIV, V, and VI, and they were also involved in the development of the original Dragon Quest VII. Although nothing about StreetPass functions was revealed, the webpage also tells us that the game will have a connectivity function with Slime’s Room.

Minoru Yamaizumi

Offline Peteychu

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Remake of Dragon Quest VII Announced and Dated
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 01:50:44 AM »
Too much good stuff coming to Japan!!! More Dragon Quest in USA

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 01:52:07 AM »

The rumours about this actually started a year ago and that's quite long, but you probably mean that yesterday's famitsu leak was the rumour here.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 01:55:47 AM »

The rumours about this actually started a year ago and that's quite long, but you probably mean that yesterday's famitsu leak was the rumour here.

I was about to say the same thing, only I was going to link to our rumor thread....
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg707251#msg707251

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:06:42 AM »
*yawn*

Whatever. It's more insufferable nostalgia-pandering, made even worse by being nostalgia-pandering of a series that perhaps has never stopped living in the past.  :-\

That said, this is obviously a big deal in Japan, so it's a good pickup for Nintendo.  It's weird that they would choose to remake that Dragon Quest, though, when it's apparently not very fondly-remembered.  I would have figured DQ8 from the PS2 would have been the logical choice.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:09:16 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 02:27:40 AM »
It's weird that they would choose to remake that Dragon Quest, though, when it's apparently not very fondly-remembered.  I would have figured DQ8 from the PS2 would have been the logical choice.
I'm not sure how that's more logical than releasing the games in order.

GBC: I, II, III
DS: IV, V, VI
3DS: VII, VIII
4DS: IX, X?

Offline regin

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 05:12:13 AM »
This is the best DQ game IMO. The only other game that comes close is DQ8, but that's still a very distant runner up.

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 06:00:31 AM »
DQ VII is an amazing game. I always thought it would be a perfect model for DLC with the possibility for new puzzle shrines.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 06:33:33 AM »
WotUtalkinbout Broodwars?!!

As Mop it Up says, seems like they are remaking them in order to me (although the 1-3 remakes were on the GC not the GBA).
And I for one LOVE hand held remakes of home console games. When it's a game I love like a Zelda it's great to have it  on the go. But most of the time they are games I never played in the first place. I've been gaming for decades but you can't play everything.
I definitely want to pick up DQ7 3DS. I hope it gets a European release and I hope we get DQ8 too further down the line.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 07:33:04 AM »
NoA brought DQ6 and 9 over, so I really hope they decide to localize this, too (not like Square Enix will).
3DS Friend Code: 2363-5672-8390

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 08:28:29 AM »
I do wonder why the original version of the game has never shown up on PSN.  I'm excited that it's going to come out on a Nintendo system.  I hope it gets localized!

It would also be nice if the DQ 1-3 remakes would make an appearance on the eshop.

DQ8 is still my favorite in the series; everything about that game is wonderful.  I'll keep my hopes up for an eventual release.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »
The next time a Dragon Quest appears on a digital download service will be the first.

Although this will probably get a release - this'll come down from Iwata himself, thanks to that promise to Yuji Horii - it'll get closer to DQ6 marketing instead of DQ9 marketing. Though if they let the 6 localizers at it, I'll buy it day 1 on principle.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 10:17:49 AM »
lol@ broodwars  ;D
Great news. Now just a follow up announcement for NA release and we're all set.
And yes, 3DS e-shop for DQ 1-3 please!!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
I do wonder why the original version of the game has never shown up on PSN.
None of the Dragon Quest games have been released on a download service like VC or PSN, so I think it's because they know the series is popular enough (in Japan) to release at full price.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 01:36:46 PM »
It's weird that they would choose to remake that Dragon Quest, though, when it's apparently not very fondly-remembered.  I would have figured DQ8 from the PS2 would have been the logical choice.

ohhhhhh SNAP!! broodwars gets served again!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »

ohhhhhh SNAP!! broodwars gets served again!

Served how? From what I've seen, DQ 8 is a dramatically more popular game than 7, and it was the first in the series to achieve anything approaching success outside Japan and probably the first to at least pretend to be a modern game.  If I were picking a DQ game to remake (assuming the staff can drag the gun, knives, and cyanide away from me first), that'd be the one I'd pick.

By all means, though, enjoy your archaic games propped up by the incessant, insane nostalgia of Japan for an age when their games were actually relevant, if that's what you're into.  Meanwhile, I'll be over here playing something that's actually fun.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:28:47 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »
Yeah, even when DQVII was released on the PS it wasn't all that popular  in NA (avg score was something like 6 or 7).  Persoanlly I loved DQVIII and the only thing they would have to change would be the combat system (it's ole-school and way to grind-heavy vs skill or tatics).

Of course it's a matter of time before we see DQVIII remake.

Not sure if we'll ever see "remakes of 9 or X"--they are focused on MP and you rarely see MP games being remade and the few that do sell poorly anyhow (Halo1 for example).

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 01:56:31 AM »
@broodwars

I was 95% kidding.  When have I ever been known to make a point with "ohhh SNAP!" ... for that matter, has anyone?

Nice rant, though.  High drama indeed!  :P: Take it easy, my man.  :)