Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. U Contains Branching World Map, Challenge Editor  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile

Here's the latest info on the overworld, Challenge Mode, and Miiverse integration.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32411

New Super Mario Bros. U will include a continuous, branching world map, customizable challenge levels, and video replays, as detailed in the most recent Japanese Nintendo Direct.

In a special roundtable presentation, game director Masataka Takemoto showed off several new aspects of Mario's inaugural Wii U outing. The game plays out across a single giant overworld that seamlessly transitions between different environmental themes. As you go, comments left on Miiverse will appear next to individual levels.

Players can choose from multiple paths as they progress through the world map, tackling sections out of order. Various distractions appear on the map between stages, like roaming items and enemies, as well as the recently-revealed Nabbit (known as Totten in the Japanese version) character, who Mario must chase into a certain level.

Takemoto also expanded upon the game's ancillary modes. Coin Battle returns after debuting in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but now with the option to play in teams, either two against two or three against one. Meanwhile, the GamePad controller's touchscreen can be used to edit the locations of the coins and Star Coins in each stage.

In addition, new features of the Challenge Mode were revealed. In this mode, players enter score-based minigames with various objectives such as time trials, collecting 1-Ups without touching the ground, beating a level with fewer than five coins or surviving for as long as possible in a room full of baddies. 

The game comes with many challenges, including some that are only possible with a second player using Boost Mode on the GamePad, but you can also set your own rules and then share these challenges with your friends via Miiverse. High scores and video replays of your runs can also be shared over Miiverse.

Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Super Mario Bros. U Contains Branching World Map, Challenge Editor
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 11:17:15 AM »
Dibs on setting the first challenge to No Items, Toads Only, Final Destination.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »
Okay, fine, you got me, Nintendo. I wasn't sold on this game at E3, but everything I'm hearing makes it sound better and better. I'll be getting this at or near launch now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:23:19 PM »
Super Mario World's branching world map is one of its best features and it has always bugged me that that didn't become the standard.  Yoshi's Island was just sequential levels.  NSMB Wii had some branching paths but was still split into clear worlds.  SMW was just like one big map and this looks like it will continue that which I like a lot.

I wouldn't buy a Wii U for this but I would likely buy it if I had a Wii U.  Odds are at some point Nintendo will convince me to take the plunge and then this would likely be one of the games I get.  It's not like the NSMB games aren't fun, they're just generic and too many have been released in too short of a span for me to get truly excited about them and something like that just doesn't make a new console purchase worth it for me.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »
Man it looks great, I wish I didn't see it though. No more Mario until launch.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 04:23:46 PM »
Those of you with a keen eye might have noticed in the shots of the beach-themed area of the world, a Sunken Airship. The Mario World homages keep on coming, and this one's a doozy.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »
The Challenge Mode sounds pretty good, I know they'll never make a level creator but some interesting setups may still be achievable with this.