Author Topic: All of the Wii U Critics Are Right (and I Don't Care)  (Read 14172 times)

Offline blankfall

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: All of the Wii U Critics Are Right (and I Don't Care)
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 12:59:28 PM »
I do not like all the bad hype the wii u line up is getting honestly. I have a ps3 and xbox 360 bought 3 xbox because they died. I have no problems purchasing old games i own already on other consoles. I have mass effect 2 on both x360 and ps3, and the ps3 version came out a year after i already purchased and beat it on my 360.

Honestly numbers don't lie. the Xbox 360 had 8 launch titles that were available on the more popular ps2. Not to mention some games came out on yes windows xp first then hit the 360 November launch. It has nothing to do with the games. Its just that its Nintendo. Nintendo is doing what every other company does, and is make their own waves.  Nintendo understand their fans. Why do u think we get spoiled on our handhelds and still complain.

I believe the only way Nintendo can get everyone to love them uncontrollably is by making a partnership with apple. maybe iTunes on the wii u or something bigger. (thought i doubt it would happen) It could be amazing if apples decides not to enter the console race, and partner up with Nintendo. The greatest minds of the blue ocean techniques together. (I can dream cant I )

Do not forget Sony says Wii U is basically a ps3 and vita. however Nintendo has the gba and gc communicating back in the ps2 era. and that was with less technology then whats currently on the market today. The haters are going to hate, because Nintendo is still making consoles and not developing Mario Kart and Mario Party with cross play for Sony or better with kinect for xbox. If Nintendo stopped making consoles and went 3rd or 2nd or whatever they wanted the fan boys of that console would be so happy.

Remember the rumor back in the day of Bill Gates saying he would love to buy Nintendo? I didn't hear the X fans complain. and though Sony and micro throw a lot of jabs towards Nintendo its what you have to expect when your sitting on pills of cash, and your two main competitors are just barely making profit on there awesomely powerful machines. (No sarcasm. PS3 is more next gen then x360 and they share a lot of the same games in their respective game library, but both are still very powerful)

Nintendo could probably come out with a GB or DS type of handled and make the games all NFC chips so you can still buy them in the store, and i bet it will sell like hot cakes.

I do see that everyone wants Nintendo to copy and past Xbox live or PS+, but that's not what Nintend does. Sony didn't copy Micro, and Micro didn't copy apple with online infrastructure. Nintendo does not tell you not to buy a xbox or playstion product they only want to offer you a different gaming experience on there console. Go inside a house in america and tell me how many television sets are in the house. I guarantee its more then one. so being closed minded when it comes to different consoles is understandable since its the consumers money and no one can tell you how to spend it. I am sure Sony and Microsoft reps, engineers, bosses, president, or ceo's , have bought competitors systems and games.

BTW I love you NWR since PlanetGameCube thanks for the great articles and news you guys update constantly.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:19:57 PM by blankfall »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 04:04:53 PM »
I think Nintendo would do themselves tons of favours if they were more up front with information at this point.  We don't even have individual release dates for the games and we're less than two months away.  I don't think we should have ANY questions left at this point.  Everything we need to know should be available to us.

I have noticed over time that it appears that Nintendo fanbase has become more and more unconditionally loyal with each gen.  The reason for it is simple.  Since the N64, Nintendo has pissed off a big enough chunk of their existing fans with each console that only the die-hards remain.  They lost me with the Wii and it just a boiling point after years and years of annoying stupid mistakes.  As they continue down this path the justification to tolerate such behaviour becomes increasingly irrational and thus there are less "conditional" Nintendo fans and more unconditional ones in the total Nintendo fanbase.  The ratio increases for the unconditional as time goes on.  There are fans that would buy the Wii U if it was literally an empty box.

While I like the honesty in the article, this sort of fan drives me nuts because it discourages Nintendo from improving.  My Nintendo experience over the last three generations has become increasingly worse because there is no financial incentive for Nintendo to do better.  It does not matter if they lose my business.  Being unconditionally loyal to ANYTHING is like an illness.  No one became a Nintendo fan merely because they're Nintendo.  There is some quality about them that attracted you in the first place and you should only stick around if that quality remains.

There is nothing wrong with being upset when the source of your fandom does something you don't like.  You're not disloyal in doing that.  Disloyal Nintendo fans followed the third parties to the Playstation 1.  Loyal fans gave Nintendo a chance to make up for mistakes.

I used to be a big fan of the WWF but have not been for many years.  It sucks that my fandom of Nintendo is following the same path.  The WWF started going in a direction I did like after WCW and ECW went under.  For years I kept watching even though I found myself being mostly angry and frustrated with the product.  There were two factors that made me stop watching for good:

1. The product ceased to resemble the product that had made me a fan in the first place.
2. I no longer had confidence that the product would turn itself around.

Nintendo is at that point for me.  I will not buy the Wii U at launch because I no longer have confidence that things will turn around.

Buy the Wii U if you are confident that you will enjoy that purchase in the long run and that it will be worth the money.  Do not buy it for any other reason.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »
Ian, I think there were a lot of incentives now for Nintendo to change.  They just posted their first ever annual loss.  That was huge for them.  Iwata took a huge pay cut because of it.  They had to admit they were wrong about the price of the 3DS and cut it big time.  They are changing for the better I think.  Obviously, you need a few more indications that it's not a temporary change.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 09:07:40 PM »
You know, I agree with a lot of people in this thread. I agree that the Nintendo I loved isn't the Nintendo we now know. I agree that the quantity and quality of Nintendo's first party games has, as a whole, declined and they just don't take the risks or create the new franchises that they used to. I am not going to buy the Wii U at launch because even though I'm liking everything I've seen from NSMBU thus far, it's not enough. Pikmin 3... probably still not enough.

And yet.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to resist a top tier Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game. If nothing else, Nintendo can still make really awesome Mario and Zelda games. And at least Retro can make awesome Metroid games and I still think Sakaguchi has a few more awesome 2D Metroids in him even if he hasn't proved it in 8 years. These franchises at their best are always going to be among my favorites, in some cases of all time. And I know this. But I'm waiting for at least one of those games to come out before I buy a Wii U. Is it possible NSMBU is that game? Maybe, but I'm not banking on it.

Offline Blick

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »
Except Nintendo neither has Hard- nor Software. Didn't the garbage they released over the last ten years?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 10:54:01 PM »
I think Nintendo would do themselves tons of favours if they were more up front with information at this point.  We don't even have individual release dates for the games and we're less than two months away.  I don't think we should have ANY questions left at this point.  Everything we need to know should be available to us.
I agree. Weird, right? There's nothing to hide at this point. Maybe they're being careful with the release dates of games until they go gold. I can understand that. However, are Nintendo afraid that Sony and Microsoft will copy Miiverse or aspects of Nintendo Network? With Wii U launching in 2 months, how much time does that really buy them? Oh, that's right, 2 months. I suppose it doesn't really matter because everyone who wants a launch Wii U has planned accordingly by now or is trying to work something out. Nothing besides a big surprise game reveal is going to change anyone's mind at this point. What are the chances of that happening? I can see it both ways though I lean more towards the what-are-they-waiting-for camp.
I have noticed over time that it appears that Nintendo fanbase has become more and more unconditionally loyal with each gen.
That depends on who you're talking to, what their needs are. What sounds like unconditional loyalty may be indifference. Not everyone wants the same things. Point being, I know what type of gamer I am today. I don't have as much time to devote to gaming. I criticize Nintendo when I feel it's appropriate, but it's also circumstantial. Depending on what it is and how much it affects me, I criticize or shrug my shoulders. I won't go down the list. Right now, I'm pretty impressed by what I see with Wii U. Car insurance kind of Stone Cold Stunned my checking account, but if I can scrounge up the money, I'll probably end up using my pre-order.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:07:31 AM by Adrock »

Offline coffeewithgames

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
    • Coffee with Games
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 01:11:28 AM »
"Microsoft has turned their Xbox into far more than a gaming console, it’s a multimedia center. Nintendo TVii is a good start, but it feels like a drop in the pond compared to what Microsoft has been doing for years."
[/size][/color]
[/size]I owned the original Xbox, and enjoyed gaming on it. I don't own a 360 though. It's the only "current gen" system I don't own. I'm don't really understand the "multimedia center" stuff when I hear it about the 360, and it's probably because I don't have one....but how much of that "stuff" requires and Xbox Live subscription?[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]Also, providing examples of what Microsoft "has been doing for years" might help me understand the comparison there, as I don't really have anything to base it off of.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]The only thing I have seen critics be right on so far, is a lack of information...but even that is okay with me, as long as they address the remaining big issue(s) before launch. Online.[/color]
Drinking coffee, playing games!
http://coffeewithgames.com/

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 01:15:09 AM »
Coffe With Games, you magnificent SOB!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 01:03:32 PM »
The only thing I truly want out of the Wii U are Nintendo franchises with HD graphics and current-gen online functionality.  Anything else to me will be an added bonus (including the tablet controller). 

I'm still completely satisfied with my Playstation 3, and haven't even scratched the surface of the games that are considered must-play. I can't see what I would want out of next-gen consoles from Sony & Microsoft, as a graphical upgrade is going to be mostly window dressing to me at this point, and I have no inherent need to upgrade without any reason other than a graphical improvement. 

Of course, I may be writing on these forums a year from now about how Sony or Microsoft included some incredible feature and asking why Nintendo didn't have the foresight to include it, but for the time being, an HD Nintendo system with online and mulimedia functionality with a cool tablet controller is more than enough to satisfy my need for a new home console.

Now someone just needs to tell Nintendo to make Kirby's Epic Yarn 2 for the Wii U (& 3DS!).

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 01:43:37 PM »
I've used my Xbox 360 as my DVD/Netflix/Hulu Plus/HBO Go hub for like 4 years. There are also movie rentals, ESPN3, and a whole cadre of other multimedia things lingering in that system. It might require Xbox Live Gold, but it's still far more than Nintendo had on the Wii. Hopefully the Wii U will claim that spot from my 360. The PS3 already tried and failed (Kinect voice control for system/Netflix/Hulu >>> almost anything else)
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 06:22:17 PM »
I like the idea behind this article, however I feel you could have come up with a better case for yourself. Then again, a person shouldn't have to defend their choice of entertainment. That's messed up.

As for me, Nintendo doesn't appeal to me as much as it used to. However, Sony and Microsoft's systems offer me even less. So I have no choice but to put up with Nintendo's poor decisions, as they still make the only systems that provide the most of what I want. Basically, they are the lessor of three evils. Now, I don't think they are evil, I just can't think of a better phrase to sum it up.