Author Topic: Bayonetta 2 Will Be Wii U Exclusive  (Read 14750 times)

Offline Kikori

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Bayonetta 2 Will Be Wii U Exclusive
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:21:49 AM »

Another Platinum exclusive will be the sequel of their representative work.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31684

Bayonetta 2 will be a Wii U Exclusive. Satoru Iwata revealed the game during the Japanese Nintendo Direct Wii U Preview. It will be Wii U exclusive and published from Nintendo, but the corporate logo of Sega, the publisher of the original Beyonetta, is also seen in the trailer. The release date and its price are yet to be announced.

The game was also shown during the New York event later that morning, confirming a release in North America for the game.

Minoru Yamaizumi

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Bayonetta 2 Will Be Wii U Exclusive
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:24:09 AM »
Wow, nice. Nintendo got another 3rd party exclusive. I'm glad they're on such good terms with Platinum Games. They're a great dev to have in their corner. Hopefully, Hideki Kamiya can get started on Star Fox soon.

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:54:49 AM »
This is actually the first 3rd party game that I am absolutely psyched about! The first game is incredible.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 11:56:43 AM »
Loved the first game, glad to see an sequel coming.  Wonder if they are going port the first one over?  Would make an great "preorder" special. = )

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 12:20:01 PM »
Is this really a third party game? Nintendo are publishing and producing it. Sega is not involved in anyway(will only be on the box because they own the IP).
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 12:57:16 PM »
I loved it when Reggie made the sly comment that this was probably not the game we were expecting from Platinum.  That gives me hope that they are also working on Star Fox.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »
He could have been referring to Metal Gear Rising: Re-****-The-English-Language-Vengeance.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 01:43:52 PM »
Bitter tears for the HD fans.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »
This was one of the few games on the HD consoles that I looked on in envy.  Kinda surprised they made it, since Bayonetta 1 did not exactly light up the sales charts.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Sal Paradise

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »

This is actually the first 3rd party game that I am absolutely psyched about! The first game is incredible.

Same here.
This game should have been announced at E3. Would have made the conference much better.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 02:51:34 PM »
I am happy about this. Maybe we will get the first game on the eShop? I look forward to future collaborations between Nintendo and Platnium games.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 03:26:36 PM »
I think Nintendo would have to work with Sega to get the first game onto the Wii U.  I don't think they'd mind if Nintendo did the publishing though. Or is the first game wholly owned by Platinum still and Sega just did distribution and publishing?

I know Mass Effect 1 can't be released on other consoles because MS published it and EA published 2 & 3.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »
Just buy Platinum, Nintendo.

It's a perfect fit.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
Only if they want to be part of the Nintendo family, like Monolith Software did. Those dudes left Capcom presumably so they would have complete freedom over their games. Unless Platinum Games specifically requests to be part of Nintendo, it's probably just as beneficial for Nintendo to keep ties close and continue reaping the benefits on exclusive titles.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 04:08:53 PM »
Those dudes left Capcom presumably so they would have complete freedom over their games.
Creatively, i don't think Miyamoto's or Sakurai's views would clash with any of Platinum's guys' visions. They're pretty on the same wave or at least it looks that way for me.

Financially, though... Nintendo occasionally gets to be pretty cynical in terms of sequelisation, even more so than Capcom ever did. You might have some wiggle room though, like Sakurai who fed up with sequels at HAL left to do Meteos and Kid Icarus. Sakurai is a very special case though, with him being so close personally with NCL president.

Unless Platinum Games specifically requests to be part of Nintendo
Well, Kamiya DID beg to develop Star Fox a few years ago...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
Actually Bayonetta sold quite well for Platinum Games, it's in the million+ club.  Wasn't surprised to see an sequel coming. 

This makes two Platinum Games coming to the Wii U; this and the Wonderful Life so maybe there's hope for a port of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance that they are also working on. 

Woudn't mind seeing an sequel of Madworld as well (in color though) but I doubt that will ever happen.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
Well, Kamiya DID beg to develop Star Fox a few years ago...
Don't see why they couldn't do it as a third party like how Sega and Namco made Nintendo franchise games (F Zero and Star Fox).

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »
Actually Bayonetta sold quite well for Platinum Games, it's in the million+ club.
I did my part. In fact i bought xbox just so i can play this game (and RDR, and Mortal Kombat).

But it's not that clear cut.

SEGA games nowadays have a bad habit of getting slashed in price for like 70% in mere months. So million or not, they could still not get enough profits from it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 04:20:44 PM »
Is this really a third party game? Nintendo are publishing and producing it. Sega is not involved in anyway(will only be on the box because they own the IP).

It's a third party game since Nintendo doesn't own the UP and are just publishing it. Sega owns the IP (or at least the trademark for "Bayonetta").
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 05:26:13 PM »
This is a pretty good catch for Nintendo.  The Wii U has a tough problem with third party support.  It needs third party games to sell but what core gamer will buy a Wii U for third party games that are already available on the PS3 or Xbox 360, which they almost certainly already own?  Yeah so there's Mass Effect 3 and Black Ops II and Arkham City and that's all great but I would never buy a Wii U for any of those because I already have a PS3.  I don't need a new system to access those games.  And this is worse than the typical situation where a third party game is multiplatform on a new system.  In most cases all the systems are relatively new.  A PS3 launch game that was also on the Xbox 360 still had good potential to sell a system because the 360 was only a year old so most of the target audience still didn't have them.  But the Wii U is sharing games with consoles that are at least six years old.  Most of the target audience already has a system that has access to them.  That means that the Wii U has to sell primarily on exclusives.  Now Nintendo has a strong exclusive first party selection but they've had that forever.  No one will ever be sold on a Nintendo system for the first party lineup unless they're already a dedicated Nintendo fan.

The Wii typically got exclusives from third parties but they emphasized the "exclude" part.  It was the negative exclusive.  It was the "you can't handle the real game so here's some specialized casual title" as if the Wii was the little kid of the group that needed a kids meal.  Bayonetta 2 is the good kind of exclusive.  It's the "first kid at school with the hot new toy" instead of the "only kid at school with leg braces".  There are PS360 owners who have the first Bayonetta and would want the sequel but can only get it if they buy a Wii U.  THAT is exactly what Nintendo wants.  Now some big multiplatform games are there too so that the Wii U isn't an island on its own.  The ideal situation is that one can own JUST a Wii U and be able to keep up with most of the big games.  And if a PS360 owner buys a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 he might then buy the Wii U version of a multiplatform title because of extras it has.  Those extras are probably not enough to justify a whole console purchase but they can tip the Wii U version in favour for someone who has already made the purchase.

I'm not totally confident in the Wii U but this is encouraging.  It needs multiplatform third party games and key third party exclusives and it does have both.  It's too early to see if that will make a difference (the Gamecube had both of those as well) but a year ago I was afraid they might have neither.  It's a good sign.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:18 PM »
*yawn* whatever. Not my thing, but picking up a game that didn't do so well last time but has a rabid fanbase is a decent move.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »
This is a pretty good catch for Nintendo.  The Wii U has a tough problem with third party support.  It needs third party games to sell but what core gamer will buy a Wii U for third party games that are already available on the PS3 or Xbox 360, which they almost certainly already own?  Yeah so there's Mass Effect 3 and Black Ops II and Arkham City and that's all great but I would never buy a Wii U for any of those because I already have a PS3.  I don't need a new system to access those games.  And this is worse than the typical situation where a third party game is multiplatform on a new system.  In most cases all the systems are relatively new.  A PS3 launch game that was also on the Xbox 360 still had good potential to sell a system because the 360 was only a year old so most of the target audience still didn't have them.  But the Wii U is sharing games with consoles that are at least six years old.  Most of the target audience already has a system that has access to them.  That means that the Wii U has to sell primarily on exclusives.  Now Nintendo has a strong exclusive first party selection but they've had that forever.  No one will ever be sold on a Nintendo system for the first party lineup unless they're already a dedicated Nintendo fan.

You could use that same argument against the Xbox 360 or PS3.

"Why would I buy a PS3 when I can get most of those games on an Xbox 360?"

"Why would I buy an Xbox 360 when I can get most of those games on a PS3?"

Exclusives (either 1st-party or 3rd-party) are what set each console apart. Without exclusives, there would be no reason to own multiple consoles.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »

The Wii typically got exclusives from third parties but they emphasized the "exclude" part.  It was the negative exclusive.  It was the "you can't handle the real game so here's some specialized casual title" as if the Wii was the little kid of the group that needed a kids meal.  Bayonetta 2 is the good kind of exclusive.  It's the "first kid at school with the hot new toy" instead of the "only kid at school with leg braces".  There are PS360 owners who have the first Bayonetta and would want the sequel but can only get it if they buy a Wii U.  THAT is exactly what Nintendo wants.  Now some big multiplatform games are there too so that the Wii U isn't an island on its own.  The ideal situation is that one can own JUST a Wii U and be able to keep up with most of the big games.  And if a PS360 owner buys a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 he might then buy the Wii U version of a multiplatform title because of extras it has.  Those extras are probably not enough to justify a whole console purchase but they can tip the Wii U version in favour for someone who has already made the purchase.

I'm not totally confident in the Wii U but this is encouraging.  It needs multiplatform third party games and key third party exclusives and it does have both.  It's too early to see if that will make a difference (the Gamecube had both of those as well) but a year ago I was afraid they might have neither.  It's a good sign.

Ian, the Wii U is perfect for someone like myself who has never owned a PS3 or 360. I have missed out on six years worth of games. Many of the third party titles being released for the Wii U that have already been on rival console will be some of the first that I buy.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »
Ian nailed everything on the head with why its a good thing that this is happening.
   I'm surprised and happy we're getting a second one. I'll have to bust out the first again before this comes out.  :D

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »
*yawn* whatever. Not my thing, but picking up a game that didn't do so well last time but has a rabid fanbase is a decent move.

Since when it selling over 1 million copies not doing so well?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20