Author Topic: The Last Story Preview  (Read 3985 times)

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
The Last Story Preview
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:07:15 PM »

The Wii's last story is almost upon us.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/preview/31149

In a 2007 interview with GameSpot, Hironobu Sakaguchi, head of the Japanese development studio Mistwalker and father of the Final Fantasy series, expressed interest in creating a game similar to Gears of War, the popular third-person shooter series developed by Epic Games. Fast-forward to 2011, and Sakaguchi's interest finally materialized into a game, albeit one very different from the gritty shooter that inspired it. Titled The Last Story, perhaps as a nod to Sakaguchi's previous involvement in the Final Fantasy series, the action RPG melded both Japanese and Western game mechanics, and released to critical acclaim in Japan. Now, more than a year later and after a drawn out fan campaign, the game is finally coming to North America. But aside from a wonderful pedigree, with Hironobu Sakaguchi as director and Nobuo Uematsu as composer, what exactly makes The Last Story worthy of all this attention?

The Last Story follows the main protagonist, Zael, as he and his fellow mercenaries look for work on Lazilus Island. However, in what could be considered a staple of the genre, Zael and friends find themselves wrapped up in local politics and catapulted into an adventure that takes them far beyond their initial hopes for employment and into the middle of Lazilus' environment of ongoing governmental corruption and warfare.

Yet, unlike the sprawling world present in the Wii's other recent high-profile JRPG, Xenoblade Chronicles, Zael's adventure takes place almost entirely in Lazilus City and the surrounding areas on the island. Nevertheless, Lazilus City offers numerous areas to explore, NPCs to interact with, and side quests to complete. Of course, the city also serves as the hub world for The Last Story's main quest, which is said to last upwards of 20 to 30 hours per playthrough.

During this time, you'll control Zael in a third-person perspective reminiscent of the Gears of War series, using either the Wii Remote and Nunchuk or the Classic Controller. This perspective doesn't change in battle; in fact, The Last Story's real-time battle system employs cover mechanics, a staple of the third-person shooter genre. You’re also able to manually aim and fire ranged weapons, such as the crossbow, though melee attacks are performed automatically whenever you or an ally are close to an enemy. Elemental attacks and magic play a role in the game's combat, creating elemental circles that boost surrounded character's attacks. To help plan the perfect strategy, you are also able to give commands to your party members.

In addition to the game's main story, The Last Story features something rather unusual for it's genre—online play. Here, the game's unlikely inspiration shows through in two different multiplayer modes, versus and cooperative mode. In versus mode you can play as one of several characters from the story mode and duke it out with up to five other people from your friends list, or through random matchmaking. Similarly, cooperative mode also joins you with up to five other people, though with the objective to work together and down various bosses from the game's story. In order to do so, you'll even have access to gear you've collected in the main story. And to tie everything together, The Last Story also includes an online leader board ranking players based on their performance.

The Last Story has already been released in Japan and Europe; however, for those in North America, the game will be released on August 14, 2012.

James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Story Preview
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
My frothing demand for this game increases!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 01:56:27 AM »
My frothing demand for this game increases!

I concur!!
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 08:31:48 AM »
Wow. I forgot that this was not yet released in North America. You guys will love it, it's a really enjoyable game.
Gouge away.

Offline neptunepirate

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:06 PM »
I am going to have a busy August with this and Sleeping Dogs.
Leon has a flashlight on his belt.
I tried to bring sexy back, but I forgot the receipt.
http://www.heroesofruin.com/profile/NeptunePirate

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:40:13 PM »
"The Wii's last story is almost upon us."

I just like pointing out stuff like this ...

Previous Wii "swan songs" include:

Zelda: Skyward Sword
Mario Party 9
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Xenoblade

Future Wii "swan songs":

Kirby Dream Collection
Epic Mickey 2

Unlikely, but possible, future Wii "swan songs":

Pandora's Tower
 Dragon Quest X

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
"The Wii's last story is almost upon us."

I just like pointing out stuff like this ...

Previous Wii "swan songs" include:

Zelda: Skyward Sword
Mario Party 9
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Xenoblade

Rhythm Heaven was only released last month in Europe, and for me that truely was the Wii's retail swan song. If it wasn't for the fact that La Mulana might still see a release in Europe and that there could yet still be some worthwhile VC releases, I might have packed the system away the minute I beat Fever's last remix (which was incredible).
Gouge away.

Offline Robknoxious1

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:18:19 PM »
Unlikely, but possible, future Wii "swan songs":

Pandora's Tower
Faith in GameStop managers isn't waning is it? Ya gotta keep believin' man!  :cool;

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 12:59:07 AM »
@Pix^2

Don't care about Kirby or EM2?

@Rob

I've still never lost faith.  He said we would get official word when TLS launched.  That still hasn't been released yet.  If the release of TLS comes and goes without word then I will officially change my mind and begin the import process.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 02:05:51 AM »

Don't care about Kirby or EM2?

I'm not really a fan of Kirby (although I do have a fondness for Adventure, Dream Course and Epic Yarn). Any Kirby games I do like I already own, so I don't really see the point in buying a Kirby collection.

I thought the first Epic Micky had potential but the broken camera and tired design ('collect 3 of those then come back to me') really squandered any enthusiasm I had for the series. I guess if the sequel is somehow a revelation, and all the issues of the first game are fixed, then I might consider it. At this point though I have no intention of picking it up.

Gouge away.

Offline Infinitys_End

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 12:49:42 AM »
It's not worth it.  Think Final Fantasy 8 in terms of lame story and characters... :(  And everything is really dull and gray.  Xenosaga is way better.