Author Topic: Best Workout Game?  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
Best Workout Game?
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:05:15 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking to shed some Holiday pounds and was hoping there was a FUN way to do so amidst all this fitness gaming.  I have Wii Fit Plus and it was effective when I used it, but there wasn't enough GAME to keep me interested over the long haul.

So, does anyone know of a title that successfully walks the line between a FUN game and a GOOD workout?

I don't really care how stupid I look, as long as I'm having fun.

Anyone have some good suggestions!?

Notes:
-I don't have a 360 or Kinect
-I'm not crazy about the idea of dancing to the same songs over and over.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Best Workout Game?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:57:59 PM »
Well, the EA Sport Active NFL game is ok. There's some "game" to it where there are games you can set and chase high scores to. It's mostly work outs though where the appeal is just NFL players, though rosters would be out of date at this point.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »
Just Dance! Seriously! I wake up and play 1 hour before breakfast on non stop shuffle, it's been doing me real good. The faster songs give you such a fun cardio.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
Someone should really make an M rated Survival Horror fitness game. You have to keep moving to stay alive, and if you stop your character dies. It would be a great way to burn calories.
is your sanity...

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »
Someone should really make an M rated Survival Horror fitness game. You have to keep moving to stay alive, and if you stop your character dies. It would be a great way to burn calories.

Thanks guys!

I don't need the M-rating per se, but this would be ideal for me =)

That NFL thing doesn't sound too bad - I am a football fan...
and I suppose I could look in to Just Dance.

Anyone else have games that work for them??

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 09:07:17 PM »
My wife and I both use EA Sports Active 2 and the NFL game pretty often...especially in the winter when I don't care to run outside all that much.  Since we have 2 sets of peripherals, we exercise together to motivate one another.

It's pretty nice that you can do it together, though the sensors sometimes get a little wonky.  It's almost as if the game can't keep up with the input from two players.  The end result is that the game doesn't always seem to keep accurate progress on the exercises. 
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 09:31:29 PM »
It must be pretty sad that my arms get sore after Wii Music's composer mode...

I'm personally a fan of We Cheer (I prefer the first title), but you said you're not into dance? It's sorta not... It's cheer dance!

I've seen those resistance weighted gloves around, (not necessarily Wii-specific) could you just add that to about any game for bonus calorie burning? EA fit springs instantly to mind because if I recall it has a resistance band...

If I recall correctly this site actually reviewed Gold's Gym pretty highly too!

If you have difficulty staying interested in just Wii fit, maybe several games combined will help? Keep up the Wii Fit Plus to track all that stuff, but supplement as needed with other games that are active and fun?

Oh, and DDR of course. That's a ton of game right there. I've heard good things about the active life games, but haven't tried them myself.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:36:31 PM by Kairon »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 09:59:35 PM »
Some people here picked some some good ones but I say PUNCH OUT.  With the balance board and the motion punching controls this will probably give you the most fun work out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 10:56:58 PM »
you could try Zumba &/or Zumba2

unlike Just Dance, it actually teaches you real dance moves you can reuse in the club or at social events. It's like a Dance Class with high scores. My mom and sister swear by it.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 11:34:25 PM »
I own Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, EA Active and EA Active 2. i would go with EA Active 2 if you want a tough workout, but if you need to start off easy, get Wii Fit Plus first. Just make sure you are actually going to do this before you invest.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 11:46:45 PM »
you could try Zumba &/or Zumba2

unlike Just Dance, it actually teaches you real dance moves you can reuse in the club or at social events. It's like a Dance Class with high scores. My mom and sister swear by it.

Interest in Zumba... rising...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »
I hadn't realized just how many choices there actually are for Wii. The EA games, Wii Fits, NFL, Zumba, the Just Dances, DDR, We Cheers, Gold's Gym. And no one has yet mention Jillian Michaels, too. Also, Michael Jackson. I tried that (thanks, local library!) and was good and breathless after a few songs.

I might pick me up one or two of these while I'm waiting for my fancy new treadmill to arrive (stupid NordicTrack, what the heck is the delay?) Actually, I am sure the local library stocks most of these mentioned.

Thanks all.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:10:19 PM by Fatty_The_Hutt »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »
I know.  It's nice to see so many options.

I am going to start researching these today and hopefully make a purchase by the end of the weekend.

Thanks again, folks!