Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

DS...the end of porting?

(1/8) > >>

kirby_killer_dedede:
EDIT: Pressed "Enter" and forgot to write anything...:-P

Well, I was thinking, and the DS may end porting.  I'm thinking that if a game is ported to the DS from past generations (Classic NES), it won't really be...ported.  I'm thinking if a game is ported, the developers should throw in some DS, ya know?  The same game, but some how edit it to make use of the second screen.  What do y'all think?

Jale:
EIther that or we are going to see a lot of games that utilize black screens

Ian Sane:
Porting will never end.  There's no videogame standard format like there is with music and movies so there will always be situations where old games that are no longer available in stores and due to public demand (ie: obscure games) or publisher greed (ie: Namco Museum being released in every format possible) old titles will be re-released for modern consoles.  I have no problem with that since I don't want classic games to be forgotten providing the re-releases follow my personal three rules of ports.

1. The port is affordable either by a discount price or packaged in a compilation.
2. Unless it's a complete remake (like Metroid Zero Mission) the game is ported accurately.  No missing features, no lowered difficulty, no revisionist history, no wanging of the gameplay, no stupid control changes for no reason, etc.
3. Ports are not released in place of original titles.

Sadly Nintendo usually breaks all three of these.

joeamis:

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede

The same game, but some how edit it to make use of the second screen.  What do y'all think?
--- End quote ---

sadly many publishers will utilize the 2nd screen for just a map or moving the huds to the bottom screen (I would prefer the huds for say a racing game to stay on the top screen because often you don't have time to look and search on another screen for how far behind you're in the race among other information, especially on a 2 inch screen.)  I say many publishers will do this based on the quality most of them put into their gba games...

Deguello:
"3. Ports are not released in place of original titles."

"Sadly Nintendo usually breaks all three of these."

When did Nintendo break this one?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version