Author Topic: Episode 389: Best Practices  (Read 22644 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 389: Best Practices
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:28:34 AM »

Weird assortment of games in New Business leads to weird assortment of stories and questions in Listener Mail!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/38008/episode-389-best-practices

This episode is notable for an odd assortment of New Business games and an overall rowdy tone, due in part to Skype problems that made it hard for us to coordinate a friendly conversation. So... enjoy?!? James is first with his long-awaited thoughts on Super Mario 3D World, and he even mixes in a little Shovel Knight post-mortem. Guillaume tries Xenoblade for the third time, and it seems to be clicking this time. Jonny gushes about Resogun, the PS4 arcade shoot-em-up that just got new updates and DLC. Although he's considered our resident FPS expert, Jon has never really tried the Battlefield series, and what better place to start than the newest entry that is still dogged by bugs and balance issues? Wrapping up, we swing back to James for his bewildered description of Electroplankton: Rec Rec from DSiWare. Bonus: Hear his absolutely horrifying audio creation during the break!

Listener Mail is always a treat for us, because we love hearing from fans and engaging in whatever topics you want to hear. The gracious contributions this week include Transformers (and other enjoyable-but-"bad" games), the best GamePad titles for families, the unshakable curse of GameCube controllers, and the pleasures/hazards of listening to podcasts... in the shower? No matter where and how you listen to RFN, we'd love to hear from you! Join the email caucus today.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 389: Best Practices
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:39:59 PM »
Funny Xenoblade Chronicles reared it's head in this week's podcast; a lot of people are playing it again thanks to the efforts of Chuggaaconroy's Let's play. he gave out something like 40 copies of the game and is urging folks to play it... did Chuggaa Have any influence in Gui's choice to pick it up? Also, Dunban and Reyn are pretty great. the AI is pretty bad at playing Sharla, so sometimes I just roll with Riki/Dunban/Reyn and I have enough survivability going on to deal with a vast majority of encounters. I'll play as Sharla if I'm pulling something a little out of my league, but I am always the type of person that when I'm provided with a way to increase the EXP or drop rate of things that I always try to work that into my party/Build so I can have 3 pages of swords as quick as possible! :D

It's nice to know that James Jones recieved Giygas for the DSiWare  for his loyalty to Nintendo.

I legitimatley want Johnny Metts to make a walkthrough of Fester's Quest and then still tell the people on this Podcast that it is something he still likes. I do like campy  and bad games. I still come back to a couple of crap-tastic games like Way of the Samurai for PS2 or Battle Hunter on PSX. one of my favorite games for GBA was the outright broken and terribly simple Yugioh: The Eternal Duelist's soul because it is the PERFECT game to play on the toilet. more perfect then even Tetris, I'd argue. also, Spleunker. That's the game that invented the term 'kusoge', and yet I think it's SO addictive with how quickly it will murder you. I've seriously never played a game where you get game over in the first 15 seconds of it being in your NES before.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 11:31:42 PM »
Ah, no, it's just that after seeing Xenoblade Chronicles X at E3 this year, I thought I should get my ass in gear.

Right now, my priority with my party maxing out affinity, even if that means having a team that doesn't work well together like Melia, Sharla and Riki. It's pretty awful against some enemies, and I switch for bosses, but I just want to see those extra story bits as soon as I can.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »
Wow, lots of thoughts to add this week. Let's see...

Mario 3D World - Regarding the faster speed of the game, I think some of my favorite levels are the ones with the boost pads that make you super fast. There's one in the castle world (7 essentially) that's awesome. It's nothing but boost pads throughout the whole level. Two friends and I played multiplayer in that level and it was absolute madness. We decided to take turns bubbling so that one person could take a crack at getting the green stars at a time. It was a lot of fun, probably my favorite level so far.

I've played this entire game multiplayer up to this point (I'm in world 8 ), and I can totally confirm the fact that this game is, as James put it, "custom built to troll the crap out of people." Every level pretty much consists of us trying to pick each other up and throw them off a ledge, blasting really far ahead to troll people who want to explore, popping peoples' bubbles over pits, letting all the others do the work killing enemies and then snagging the reward for yourself, etc. All this is well and good for the most part, but it's kind of annoying because everyone shares lives, unlike in the NSMB series. They must have done that to try and discourage trolling (because if you kill someone else, you're just hurting yourself too) but in reality nobody really thinks that way.

As far as multiplayer camera control in that game, I can't make heads or tails of it. It doesn't have any immediately discernible rhyme or reason. It's certainly not the player with the gamepad, and it doesn't seem to be the person with the crown either. I never paid that much attention, but I seem to recall plenty of times where I had the crown but was off screen. I don't even think it's where the majority of people are going because oftentimes a single person would run off on their own and the camera would follow them for some reason. It's really hard to tell what the camera is going to do, which is probably my biggest complaint with this game. It makes it SO hard to play in multiplayer. But I've resigned myself to not caring about secrets while I play that way, which is fine because I would have to go through the levels twice most of the time anyway to get all the secrets, so the difference in experience with single player vs. multiplayer is a nice way to divide up my two playthroughs of all the levels.

One last note: playing the Plessie levels in multiplayer is pretty fun. Everyone has to work together to make it move in the correct direction, and I believe you jump higher if everyone jumps at the same time. For once in this game, cooperation is really necessary, and it's pretty fun.

Xenoblade - So glad (but not too surprised) that Guillaume is finally enjoying Xenoblade. It's such an awesome game, but I remember not being that wowed by it at first. I don't think it was until after the High Entia Tomb that I really started getting hooked (which I believe was about 30 hours into the game for me). That's a hell of a long time for the game to really get started! That's why I always tell people who are unimpressed with Xenoblade to give it more time. The farther you are into the game, the more complex it gets, with more characters, more systems, a more intriguing plot, more beautiful vistas, etc. It just keeps getting better and better (for the most part).

Honestly I was a little surprised to hear that Guillaume liked the sidequests. I thought that was one of the weakest aspects of the game. I would have preferred very few, but meaty sidequests with really big rewards (Chrono Trigger endgame style), rather than a thousand short quests with piddly little rewards. Also, requiring near maximum affinity with each area to get the extra skill trees, Monado Arts, etc. was not appreciated. SO. MUCH. BUSYWORK. I agree that it does help flesh out the world (aptly raising your affinity with that area), which is nice and one of the greatest appeals of this game, but I thought there were just too many of them. But I'm glad to hear that Guillaume enjoys that part because he's almost assuredly going to enjoy everything else then.

Also the inventory thing was my other complaint with the game. In a game as big and expansive as this, I think having limits on how much stuff you can hold is just unfair. I never knew when a specific collectable would be required for a sidequest, so I always got scared throwing things away. It's really an unnecessary stress that shouldn't be in the game. And as far as having too much equipment... the best stuff pretty much always sorts near the top of the list, so you shouldn't have to scroll through a bunch of pages whenever you're equipping things. And I never like to sell things in RPGs. Either it's too much work or I'm to paranoid to sell it off. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I wish Xenoblade didn't make me sell things off, but at least the equipment you get late game is strictly better than earlier stuff, so it's easy to let go of the old crap you don't need anymore.

Also, I found level I and II gems pretty worthless. Level III gems were moderately useful, but I only really felt level IV and V gems were totally worthwhile. That's more of and endgame and superboss type of thing anyway. I think the story is pretty easy (with the exception of THAT boss near the end of the game.... GRRRR) so gems can be pretty safely ignored if you find them a hassle. But at the same time, if you find yourself stuck, you could try messing with those instead of grinding if you prefer.

Playing as other characters is also one of my favorite aspects of the game. Each one plays very uniquely, and is also pretty balanced (as Gui mentioned, they all have ways to break, topple, daze etc.). I would frequently switch which character I was controlling just for fun, and I rarely, if ever, felt nerfed when doing so. Also, as Jonny briefly mentioned, Seven (name used by the community to avoid spoilers) is my favorite character to play. They became my main for the remainder of the game, and their playstyle is so fresh and fast and new that it gave me an entirely new appreciation for the combat, which had become kind of a ritual by that point (a good 50 hours into the game). The uniqueness of the characters and how well they're all suited to playability is another underappreciated aspect of the game that really made me love it even more.

Regarding the beauteous vistas in the game, I also loved how some of the best vistas in the game are secret areas. It's like a reward for truly exploring the areas. Not only do you get to see some of the most stunning views in the game, but you get a bucketload of experience at the same time. It's a fantastic way to make the moment feel like a special event. There are two in the game that stood out to me the most: one in Makna Forest and the other in The Fallen Arm. The latter in particular is after a long climb and feels like the end of a long journey. It also looks out across the entire area and really feels like you're on top of the world. It really leaves an impression.

Also, nerd note: Valak Mountain (the snow area) is not the head of the Bionis. The Eryth Sea is actually on its head. Valak mountain is the sword arm of the Bionis.

Jeez, I always tell myself I'm not going to write a book, but end up doing it anyway. I really have to learn to be more concise. : /

I was even going to write a spirited defense of the Gamecube controller, but I don't feel like doing that now. Maybe later I will if I can muster the effort.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 11:41:11 PM »
Funny Xenoblade Chronicles reared it's head in this week's podcast; a lot of people are playing it again thanks to the efforts of Chuggaaconroy's Let's play. he gave out something like 40 copies of the game and is urging folks to play it... did Chuggaa Have any influence in Gui's choice to pick it up? Also, Dunban and Reyn are pretty great. the AI is pretty bad at playing Sharla, so sometimes I just roll with Riki/Dunban/Reyn and I have enough survivability going on to deal with a vast majority of encounters. I'll play as Sharla if I'm pulling something a little out of my league, but I am always the type of person that when I'm provided with a way to increase the EXP or drop rate of things that I always try to work that into my party/Build so I can have 3 pages of swords as quick as possible! :D

It's nice to know that James Jones recieved Giygas for the DSiWare  for his loyalty to Nintendo.

I legitimatley want Johnny Metts to make a walkthrough of Fester's Quest and then still tell the people on this Podcast that it is something he still likes. I do like campy  and bad games. I still come back to a couple of crap-tastic games like Way of the Samurai for PS2 or Battle Hunter on PSX. one of my favorite games for GBA was the outright broken and terribly simple Yugioh: The Eternal Duelist's soul because it is the PERFECT game to play on the toilet. more perfect then even Tetris, I'd argue. also, Spleunker. That's the game that invented the term 'kusoge', and yet I think it's SO addictive with how quickly it will murder you. I've seriously never played a game where you get game over in the first 15 seconds of it being in your NES before.

Did not mean to hit post! I have other topics I want to remark on!

Okay...! first off, thank you for reading my Mail! facetiousness about the Ascii Keyboard circle Gamecube Pad Pro aside, I was talking about most people playing Sonic Colors or Xenoblade or their N64 Virtual Console games with Gamecube controllers.

As for what makes the the gamecube controller the ideal Smash Bros controller is because of the focus given to the A button. having the primary attack button that you do most of your work on [and not spamming B moves for most characters] be the central focal point of the action and the other functions clustered around that makes it very easy to drift away from that A button to jump or a B-special, but zip RIGHT back to that primary attack button, which is important for doing the sort of lightning fast series of finger pushes required to comfortably perform techniques like SHFFL attacks (Short-hop Fast-Fall Lcancel, a technique that allows for air attacks to be performed pretty much by leaving the ground for a split second, canceling out the animation and hitting the ground so that you can lead into your next attack quickly).

I feel like the kidney bean X and Y buttons were what I don't like about the face buttons... maybe downsize that A button a little bit and move X and Y into their traditional positions, and you still have a controller that has this emphasized action button that rests PERFECTLY where your thumb does. I'm with James as far as the analogue click goes, and that there are plenty of ways that games could properly impliment it. the groves that the Analogue triggers had also complimented the form factor and handles nicely. C-stick obviously needs to be much better, as well as the D-pad, and I feel neither of those should be placed TOO far out. make more surface space on the controller rather than having them out on these tiny little islands where they are to be neglected and shunned. Z button obviously needs to be replaced with a real shoulder button and cloned to the other side, but I think we're starting to get something interesting here. Assuming we put Y and B in relative similar space to the SNES/current placement on the gamepad or something, but had A and X still share that primary action button and side off button relationship that we'd have something interesting that could tailor to both the qualities people found good about the GCN controller while still having the two buttons that really matter when playing SNES style games or such. I'll even provide a super primitive mock-up that is not indicative of my actual artistic prowess.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 02:05:45 AM »
At this rate we will have Radio Free Nintendo: The Bathroom Experience.

Always delighted to hear more Xenoblade on the podcast. This recent discussion has reminded me of a long post I wrote on Gem Crafting:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=28408.msg729324#msg729324

The low rank Gems aren't worth the bother of crafting as the bonuses they grant can be easily supplanted with leveling. Also, I think you can get enough gems from quest rewards and such. Rank 4 and 5 gems are the ones to craft and they give you hefty bonuses that are useful near the end of the game. Finally, having Quick Step V is just so pleasant.

While I love the Gamecube controller overall, I don't want to see it crop up again in the future. Hopefully the successor of the Wii U Pro Controller will have the sticks in the right position (as they are on the GCN/360/XB1 controller) and analog triggers.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 02:11:22 AM »
At this rate we will have Radio Free Nintendo: The Bathroom Experience.

Please don't encourage them.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 02:47:38 AM »
Ha! It's the logical end, man. The logical end!

One thing I forgot to mention about Xenoblade is that I hope everyone who plays it give Melia a good try beyond the sequences where you're forced to play as her. Melia is my favorite character in the game and is only able to truly shine under the player's control. Her summoned elements provide powerful auras and a discharged lightning element hits for wonderful burst damage. Roll with Dunban as an evasive tank and you shouldn't need too much healing to require Sharla. Having three characters doing considerable DPS really changes the flow of battle compared to starting hours of the traditional tank-healer-damage party.

Reflecting on Xenoblade's system, it was pretty smart of Monolith Software to have the 7TH character able to radically change 7TH's attributes by just wearing different armor. This allows 7TH to be more easily swapped in to whatever party the player is already familiar with.

Offline Jo351

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 02:13:43 PM »
There is one major feature being overlooked about the GCN controller.  It is wired and currently will be the only wired WiiU controller(that I know of).  Any competitive setting needs to be wired to avoid interference, input delays, and syncing.  Now this might not impact the majority of players, but with Nintendo's increasing support of competitive Smash this seems to me to be an efficient way to solve that problem and placate the Melee masterrace.  I'll be using a GCN out of preference and preference only.  I didn't enjoy using the WiiU Pro, if it had impressed me I might have honestly passed on the adapter.

Offline fenrir_VII

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »
I have tried in the past to be nicer about this and actually write decent paragraphs about how I disagree with some points you make about Smash Bros, and players of Smash Bros, but this week actually kind of pissed me off.

I'm ok with James having his opinions of Smash Bros and its players. I'm ok with Jonny's points this week about the Gamecube controller... but for a Nintendo-themed podcast, you guys really need to do some homework before making these kind of statements. 

How do you have an entire discussion about why the community prefers Gamecube controllers without even mentioning that it's the ONLY wired controller that either the Wii or Wii U have offered? It's not a new concept that any kind of competition needs to have as little input lag as possible to avoid having the hardware cause you to lose. This is why competition fight sticks, FPS controllers, gaming mice, etc etc etc are all wired.

Now that's not the only reason the GCN controller is well-received. Other reasons would include the fact that the control stick is actually very rugged and responsive, the A button is a focal point, the stick is an 8-direction focus (which discourages random UP inputs, etc), and the analog shoulder buttons allow light-shielding (which makes a difference) in Melee.

It's not that the GCN controller was what we "grew up playing with" (although I'm sure that helps), it's that at any given point in Smash's history, it was the best available option for competitive play. That said, most people I've heard from actually like the Wii U Pro controller, and would have supported it. However, there were large concerns over the input lag/dropped inputs from a wireless controller... especially when you have upwards of 100 people trying to sync to consoles in the same room.

As I have written in previously, I think it would be helpful if you guys actually did some sort of panel with competitive Smashers, to get kind of the flip side of the argument, as opposed to only bashing a "subset" of people for "playing the game wrong", when that same subset are the ones who have kept a game alive for > 10 years.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 06:02:25 PM »
We are not bashing, only disagreeing on certain points. Well, James is bashing but he does that to everything.

This conversation, quite frankly, wasn't about competitive Smash. I appreciate your perspective on the matter, which is valid and additive to the discussion, but our focus on other aspects of the issue was an intentional choice rather than an oversight. If we'd actually gone into the details of tournament play, I'm sure the wired/wireless issue would have come up. However, for us on the show and the vast majority of Smash players, the need for wires is actually a detriment. That's why many people looked at the GC adapter and wondered if it would support WaveBirds, and if Nintendo might even reproduce the WaveBird on this occasion. (I'm not really convinced that the "we lost the mold" story is factual but admittedly haven't done much research into it.)

Yes, the wired format of the GameCube controller might give it advantages over the Pro, for certain players. However, that is not a unique feature to the GC controller. If Nintendo actually cared about providing the best possible controller for Smash Bros, they would fix things like the Z button and C-stick and D-pad. The fact that they are releasing an old controller, which already has some minor issues with the single game supporting it on this platform, indicates that they are mainly just trying to please a set of people who are accustomed to a certain thing despite its limitations. That's why I used the word pandering. It feels good to be pandered to, so you should enjoy it. Just don't get pissed when we call a spade a spade.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:46:15 PM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 03:23:59 AM »
We are not bashing, only disagreeing on certain points. Well, James is bashing but he does that to everything.

This conversation, quite frankly, wasn't about competitive Smash. I appreciate your perspective on the matter, which is valid and additive to the discussion, but our focus on other aspects of the issue was an intentional choice rather than an oversight. If we'd actually gone into the details of tournament play, I'm sure the wired/wireless issue would have come up. However, for us on the show and the vast majority of Smash players, the need for wires is actually a detriment. That's why many people looked at the GC adapter and wondered if it would support WaveBirds, and if Nintendo might even reproduce the WaveBird on this occasion. (I'm not really convinced that the "we lost the mold" story is factual but admittedly haven't done much research into it.)

Yes, the wired format of the GameCube controller might give it advantages over the Pro, for certain players. However, that is not a unique feature to the GC controller. If Nintendo actually cared about providing the best possible controller for Smash Bros, they would fix things like the Z button and C-stick and D-pad. The fact that they are releasing an old controller, which already has some minor issues with the single game supporting it on this platform, indicates that they are mainly just trying to please a set of people who are accustomed to a certain thing despite its limitations. That's why I used the word pandering. It feels good to be pandered to, so you should enjoy it. Just don't get pissed when we call a spade a spade.

Dang...! Dr. Metts layin' down the law of the land! I'm kinda sorry I sent Pandora's box in the form of an e-Mail now, but at the same time you guys opened it in a big way!

I suppose if people still give a rat's ass about this talkback thread, I'd like to ask if having a micro-USB connection to the Wii U Pro controller  and with the right analogue/face button switch be enough to make people be happy with that?

There are a couple more things that I wasn't thinking about, but the last couple of Analogue sticks that nintendo has put out have not had the octogonal shell around them to make inputs in cardinal directions easier! a lot of the time when you're flicking the analogue stick around as hard as you are playing Super Smash Bros or perhaps a Mario platformer or something that needs that directed input a bit more, finding that groove quick can be a quick way to make those pinpoint inputs without having to doubt yourself or just making a mistake outright.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 06:00:23 AM »
On Super Mario 3D World camera preference.

I'm pretty sure all levels have that invisible progression line in them and the person who is farther on it than others is the preferred one.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 06:24:31 AM »
One of the genuinely cool, unique gamepad uses is Wii U Panorama. I highly recommend downloading a demo of that.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 06:45:11 AM »
On analog triggers.

There is a very narrow list of games where having analog is beneficial like Trials and racing games.

And but there is also an overwhelmingly giant list of games where digital triggers are much more preferable, like any non-racing game basically. Having analog trigger doing something crucial in an action game is bad (why did you put the dodge in Bayonetta on analog trigger, Kamiya, why).

Offline daverhodus

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »
I listened to this episode up to the point that the host told the listeners to "shut the **** up". Sure, there were a bunch of qualifiers and I get that you guys feel like you need to defend your reviewers. But this was a bit much for me.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 07:19:02 PM »
If you want to take things out of context like that, you could probably find much worse things that we've all said. My language was admittedly harsh, but I was speaking in the abstract -- not to listeners, but more broadly, to all gamers and people, including myself. Don't criticize that of which you know nothing. It's life advice that we can all work on.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 01:01:46 AM »
I think the wavebird was sacrificed to the patent trolls if I recall correctly. Some patent thing over the wireless tech and Nintendo had to cease production.

Offline ResettisCousin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 03:21:31 PM »
People that repeatedly claim to be misunderstood need to either work on being clearer or accept that their subtext was correctly identified and disagreed with. Especially if they sometimes post on Neogaf, too.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »
I really, really like Milon's Secret Castle. I especially like the way the game handled music. Like the bonus stages that were pretty similar, but added an extra instrument for each stage you found. But I can understand why people wouldn't like it. It's a bit hard and the clues are cryptic (as is the case in many a NES game). But for me, it is a beloved game.

I also grew up with Fester's Quest. This game was stupid hard, but there's still (to a lesser extent) something to like about this game. Well, I definitely liked the opening credit music. For sure.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »
Hey ResettisCousin, when you broadcast thousands of hours of your own thoughts, some small percentage is going to be misunderstood no matter what. The rest, I will own up to my own limitations and try to communicate better. I'm an amateur and can always improve.

As for subtext -- I avoid it as much as possible. I'm never intentionally speaking in code or trying to convey hidden messages. Most of my frustration at being misunderstood comes from people reading subtext where there is none. As Jon has often noted, I'm honest to a fault. I will tell you exactly what I think, even if it's not polite to do so. No reason for me to be subtle.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 05:41:37 PM »
Hey ResettisCousin, when you broadcast thousands of hours of your own thoughts, some small percentage is going to be misunderstood no matter what. The rest, I will own up to my own limitations and try to communicate better. I'm an amateur and can always improve.

As for subtext -- I avoid it as much as possible. I'm never intentionally speaking in code or trying to convey hidden messages. Most of my frustration at being misunderstood comes from people reading subtext where there is none. As Jon has often noted, I'm honest to a fault. I will tell you exactly what I think, even if it's not polite to do so. No reason for me to be subtle.
Source: episode 5.

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 07:02:59 PM »
Metts can be annoying and quite frankly a bit up his own ass sometimes (some might even argue most of the time). I'm actually starting to enjoy the episodes when he's out.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 07:41:55 PM »
I'm wondering if all of this is the result of hosting for so long. He's been hosting since what, episode 83 and after re-listening to one of the anniversary episodes where Karl started talking about the difference between being a host and a panelist I've been thinking...

It might be good for him to step back for a while and go on as a regular show member and just take a break from hosting. in general it would probably improve the show to shake up the roles a bit and thus get some other people talking...

I still, after almost 2 years, don't feel that Gui has the same level of presence on the show as Greg did so maybe having him host (with the help of lindy or james) for a few episodes would help... almost force that out... for lack of a better term...

Maybe it would be good to have Johnny hand off the host seat until 400 (or 404: the corrections: part 2 :D)

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »
I will say that the Wii Remote and Nunchuck are the best alternative to the gcn controller provided that you map the d-pad to serve as a pseudo c-stick (a c-pad, if you will :D)

Oh and I take back the corrections part 2 remark, the way things sre going you may need that for 390.