Author Topic: Mafia LXXXVI: Luigi's Mafia Mansion. Day 6 - The Panic Room and The End  (Read 10227 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Mafia LXXXVI: Luigi's Mafia Mansion. Day 6 - The Panic Room
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2021, 07:50:20 PM »
Just to prove how good I am, I only messaged two people the entire game. I told Order.RSS that I had no intel, but that I suspected Mr. Bungle and LuigiDude.

That's two mafia members in my sights on the second day.

The other person was PokePal who changed a vote for a mafia member to a townie because I didn't follow up within 30 minutes.

Then, on my last day alive, I posted the following:

I think I'm gonna un-vote Pokepal.  I don't know what's really going on in the Townie alliance, if there is one, but I think there's a traitor in their ranks.

Edit: My reasoning is I didn't like the response to my post or the reasoning for voting MASB. LuigiDude is my second choice, followed maybe by Crimm?

And I was again right about LuigiDude and right about suspecting Crimm.  I also threw another accusation at LuigiDude at the end of the day that wasn't followed up on.
I was kind of under fire at the time. As far as I saw I changed my vote and you went awol. I didn't want to take any chances.

But in general, if you want people to go along with your suspicions you should provide some kind of proof. Just saying "such and such person is suspicious" is not exactly a convincing argument (unless it's Khushrenada.)

True. Kushrenada is always suspicious.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2021, 07:54:58 PM »
I just didn't have the time to get the PM ground game I wanted in the beginning of the game which didn't help.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2021, 07:59:55 PM »
Three out of four votes was certainly gutsy on our part! I mainly voted for MASB per SteefosauRSS's suggestion, as a means to try to build trust, but when I noticed that he never voted for MASB himself, I took it as a sign we were on shaky terms.

As for the hit for Nickmitch, it was mainly because we wondered if he might be doc.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2021, 09:44:03 PM »
But in general, if you want people to go along with your suspicions you should provide some kind of proof. Just saying "such and such person is suspicious" is not exactly a convincing argument (unless it's Khushrenada.)

That's right!

True. Kushrenada is always suspicious.

Ooooooooh. You're saying it's only convincing to claim Khushrenada is suspicious without offering proof. I thought you were saying it's only convincing if it comes from Khushrenada to say someone is suspect without offering proof. You know because of how well I've done in past games at sniffing out the suspects with little proof. Well, that's disappointing.....

And I see TVMan couldn't even bother to spell my name right......
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2021, 10:29:29 PM »
Alright. Some thoughts on the game. So, to get the player count up, I included TheFleece. I had sent him an invite and on Oct. 1, Friday, he said that he might be able to play depending on what currently had on the go and when it would start. I messaged back that it was happening the following Monday on the 4th but didn't hear back. Then I was debating if I include him or not. He seemed open to the idea. Last time, he was a last minute addition as well and ended up as the Godfather. He commented after that he didn't expect a role of that much responsibility after the Metroid game ended. I decided to take the chance and just include him as a townie this game. That way, if he was busy then it wouldn't require too much work for him to play or just be a very casual player. However, he never did log back on since the 1st. He ends up joining a small group of players signed up for a game who then miss the whole thing. Stevey in the Animal Kingdom Mafia game, Garnee around Mafia 16 or 17. Most famously Kirby_Killer_Dedede in Mafia 2 who ended up being the only winner.  8)

I included him on the optimistic side of hoping he'd be ok to play if he eventually logged on and saw he'd been included. And, if not, well we've had other games where some townie people bailed. My fault for jumping the gun and including him without an official answer. Turns out, he had an effect on the game. I really thought no one was going to go after him from the Mafia or Killer side because he wasn't around to vote but Crimm went for him on Day 3 and ended up finding that Thieving Slinker to lose the abilities he had acquired.

As for RABicle, I knew he had some other stuff in life going on. By the time the game finally started, it was much later than originally intended. As such, he was currently on a trip and then he had an exam coming up that he wanted to make sure he was prepared for. So, I asked if he just wanted to be a townie at the time I was doing the role assignments and he said yes. The time of the game limited his availability as well. Of course, in hindsight, it does seem like I'm putting the townie side at a disadvantage with two players who'd have questionable availability for the game. That said, there have been games with absentee players and the townies have still won so nothing is certain in these games. You never know how it will play out once in action.

That said, it did seem like a lot of people suffered in being able to participate much. Crimm seemed excited to join only to have a bunch of things which probably distracted him with credit card problem and live RFN show to handle. lolmonade also mentioned being away on the first weekend of the game. The weekend Dread released.

(I myself was also away for that weekend and back home late Monday. It made me just miss out the Tetris 99 Event. I suddenly remembered the Monster Hunter theme was happening and logged on. I had about 48 minutes to get it. Closest I came was 5th place in one match. The clock passed the deadline and I need 20 points to get it which would probably require another top ten finish or higher. I got eliminated around 42nd place just giving me 10 points and a total of 91/100 only for the theme to then disappear. First time I missed a theme in Tetris 99. Obviously this is the worst thing anyone suffered while this game was played.  :P)

Ah, but back to the point. I'd check with lolmonade after the night phase began on Discord since I knew he'd like see those messages to find out if he wanted to protect anyone. He mentioned that he should have more time to play around when Day 3 was going to start but I'm not sure if he did have more time or not. Not sure what happened to Stratos. He was one of the people who was pushing for another game to happen and signed on early for this. He was there Day 1 and then disappeared. Hopefully it is nothing too serious but I recall this sort of happened in Mafia 75. He was the King of Red Lions and disappeared after the first or second day. When the game later ended, it turns out there had been some family emergency ending up having to go to the hospital as they waited there a few days on that situation. Again, I hope it was a similar circumstance with this game.

On the first day and night of the game, I didn't hear anything from the vigilante ShyGuy but that didn't surprise me. I knew he'd probably be a cautious player with that ability but I had asked if players could notify me whether they'd be using their power or not. I decided to check in with him on Night 2 to see if he was planning on using it or not and it seems he had not realized the game had begun. I thought I'd made it clear it was about to happen when I first invited him but this game made me question whether anyone reads anything I post at all.

Meanwhile, ThePerm seemed ready and eager to play only to go out Night 1. Likewise, Insanolord kept checking in all throughout the game after being knocked out Night 1 so he may have been more active in the threads and games then what others were. Nickmitch also was much more active and in the game. All of these active players were knocked out early which I can't fault the Mafia and Luigi on since taking out active players and keeping inactive is still one of the top recipes for winning these games. It ruins the power of the townie vote and makes their ability to sway it stronger. All the Mafia members were quite active in the early going which hurt and helped a bit. A lot of members did get some focus and accusations by other players in the game but they were able to ride those out. Luigi Dude was the one with the most suspicion from his participation after Day 1 and he managed to escape the vote over the next 4 days.

Would things have turned out differently if a couple of those active players were townie and a couple more inactive were Mafia? Most likely as any game replayed with players in different roles will be different than the one before it but it doesn't necessarily mean the townies would win it in that hypothetical scenario. Mafia could still have won then too. You just never know with these games.

Still, I understand the frustration pokepal148 had as the game went on and so many players were hardly around with low participation. I had hoped a higher player count would offset that as there always seems to be a couple players that are busy in life when the game happens and hardly active but with more players around then hopefully there'd still be more activity happening. Plus, with how long the days are with the 48-hour voting period or so, the hope is that players that do get busy in real life are able to whether those IRL concerns and still be able to jump back into the game after a few days without missing too much or being stuck in a bad position. It just didn't seem to happen this game. Is this a sign of future games to come or just bad timing with this game? I suppose we'll find out with the next one.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia LXXXVI: Luigi's Mafia Mansion. Day 6 - The Panic Room and The End
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2021, 11:00:54 PM »
Even when I was around, I actively did not post in the thread. I don't have to explain that to you, as we discussed it, but I realized people seemed to forget I was playing probably because I had missed a few in a row.

As the killer, especially after night one left me as the ONLY killer, this is a net positive. To note, I did not lie about why I wasn't around, but I did ensure I got night moves in. Making a night move in a day where I didn't even login was - I figured - as good a diversion as I could muster.

With the exception of that day, I was following the game at a distance and taking notes.

As for why I Detective'd Discord.RSS again, I didn't put the moves I inherited in my notes and forgot you told me what he was. Ultimately seeing he was generic townie was the best outcome I could hope for as I wrongly assumed the gem was still in townie hands. Also he was the person organizing the townie alliance, so deciding to kill him was driven by the fact I didn't want to have to provide evidence of my role.

Discord.RSS can confirm I took notes as I shared a few after day 2. I figured it was a good trade for me. All I wanted to know was how many people were in the Townie Alliance so I could decide if I should join and just start knifing or stay far away. I assumed it was already infiltrated. Turns out my suspicions were right. Again, my "lay very low" strategy seemed to be the right call.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:03:08 PM by Crimm »
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2021, 11:05:26 PM »
Quote from: Khushrenada
(I myself was also away for that weekend and back home late Monday. It made me just miss out the Tetris 99 Event. I suddenly remembered the Monster Hunter theme was happening and logged on. I had about 48 minutes to get it. Closest I came was 5th place in one match. The clock passed the deadline and I need 20 points to get it which would probably require another top ten finish or higher. I got eliminated around 42nd place just giving me 10 points and a total of 91/100 only for the theme to then disappear. First time I missed a theme in Tetris 99. Obviously this is the worst thing anyone suffered while this game was played.  :P)

There hasn't been a greater tale of woe since Juliet and her Romeo.

I think the game was good. It's just that the mafia was on the ball quicker than usual and certain things fell their way early on. If Gooigi had've lived longer and the Vigilante made some hits, things would've been more interesting (or the game ended even sooner. :P).

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2021, 11:10:19 PM »
One more thing from me. I think Khushrenada deserves accolades for being our gracious host. I was kind of a jerk with my jokes toward you Khush. I was a little nervous about being mafia and was trying to cover for that. I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you for making this happen.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2021, 11:39:42 PM »

That silent 'h' always kills me.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2021, 02:09:53 AM »
Congrats to the mafia for winning! Apologies for the abrupt AWOL but things took a turn for the worst in my personal life and I kinda forgot about the game while trying to pick up the pieces. Finally have some bandwidth to plug in only to find the end was here.

Sounds like some clever moves were made. Hoping to have the ability to get more into things in the next game.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2021, 11:05:31 AM »
I finally made it to the end.  :D

That was fun.  Got to thank all my teammates, especially Mop it up for a job well done.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2021, 01:07:32 PM »

So does the Mafia!

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2021, 02:30:47 PM »

So does the Mafia!

Right through the heart! X_X

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2021, 05:47:41 PM »
Thanks for hosting Khushrenada, you did a good job as usual!

So that explains why I never even saw TheFleece in the signup thread! I was very confused about his inclusion.

Wait what? This can't be right, can it? Here I thought it was the "k" that was silent! I've been saying "Hushrenada" this whole time!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2021, 05:54:34 PM »
LOL!

Good one! I suppose that also means you'd be pronouncing knee like nee and knight like night!  :rolleyes:

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2021, 08:44:17 PM »
Actually, now that you mention it, Mop's pronunciation makes more sense.