Author Topic: Five N64 Games That Should Make a Virtual Console Appearance  (Read 10453 times)

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Five N64 Games That Should Make a Virtual Console Appearance
« on: April 17, 2015, 11:31:35 AM »

Wouldn't you like to give these five games another try?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorial/40109/five-n64-games-that-should-make-a-virtual-console-appearance

Nintendo 64 games have finally arrived on the Wii U Virtual Console! Sure, I could have played the many N64 games that were released on the Wii Virtual Console, but then I’d be missing out on cool features like Resume Points. The modern Wii U Virtual Console experience is much more preferred these days, at least for me. Super Mario 64 is out now, with Donkey Kong 64 and Paper Mario due out by the end of the month. But what happens after that? I decided to list five games I would like to see released on the Wii U N64 Virtual Console. The odds of some of these titles listed below actually getting a Virtual Console release are slim, but I think they are worth mentioning anyway.

Conker’s Bad Fur Day

Weird choice, right? I didn’t have an interest in the game back when it released in 2001 , but when I played the Xbox remake a few years later I had fun. It de-emphasizes the collect-a-thon type of gameplay that Rare became renown for back then in favor of a more streamlined platforming experience that was a refreshing change of pace. Yes, it’s crude and pretty childish at times, but it’s a pretty solid platformer that’s worth another play if the opportunity arises.

Chances of it coming out: Virtually none. Conker is, of course, a Rare character. Rare and Nintendo don’t have much of a relationship right now. If there were ever to be a re-release it would probably be on Xbox One. Then again, Rare did work with Nintendo on GBA and DS titles since their split, so a possible collaboration is not completely out of the question if there’s interest.

WWF No Mercy

My favorite wrestling game of all time is WWF No Mercy for two reasons. First, it has one of the best grappling systems in a wrestling video game to date that Yukes has never been able to emulate or improve upon. AKI’s wrestling system is so easy to learn, not like today’s wrestling games where they make it to weird or complicated to have a fun match. Second, it came out in 2000 at the height of the WWF”s “Attitude Era”, where some of the biggest stars of all time made their mark and the wrestling industry overall was white hot. And even if you weren’t a fan of the WWF at the time, AKI relied heavily on animations from their previous WCW games and incorporated them into the create a wrestler mode, so by the time No Mercy rolled around you could essentially create any big star that was wrestling during that era.

I’d love to relive those moments, especially with the fun story mode where each championship had its own respective storyline. I remember feeling so accomplished when I beat Eddie Guerrero for the European title on my first try. They made it hard, but I pulled it off. The grappling system was so easy to use and master its astonishing no other wrestling title has ever successfully emulated it.

Chances of it coming out: Not good at all. WWF has since become WWE, and they can’t use their former name anywhere. Intense editing would have to happen for a re-release. Plus, there are a few people on the roster that WWE wouldn’t want in a 2015 release, so some of the roster would have to be taken out. Add the fact that THQ has since gone bankrupt and 2K now would have the rights, it doesn’t seem likely there will ever be a re-release of this beloved grappling classic. It’s a damn shame because in the wrestling world, it’s still considered one of the best wrestling titles to date on any platform.

Ogre Battle 64

I went for a wildcard pick here. I’ve never played one Ogre Battle game. However, I’m a big strategy RPG fan. It was games like Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance that got me into the genre. Those titles were released a few years after Ogre Battle 64, so the timing wasn’t there for me. This game has eluded me for so many years and I’ve always heard good things. Bottom line, I’d just love to give it a try.

Chances of it coming out: Not sure. It’s out on the Wii Virtual Console, so there’s a chance. But Square Enix published that release and they’ve been sluggish releasing Virtual Console games in North America, so who knows.

Star Fox 64

I never finished this game. I got it when it first came out and was amazed by the fact that controllers could rumble with an accessory. Things we take granted for now were revolutionary back in the N64 days. That, plus the full voice acting (minus stupid annoying Slippy) blew me away. But even though I was amazed by the presentation, I never got past the first few stages. I think I got bored of dying repeatedly and there were games like Mario Kart that made me feel better about my video gaming skills back then. So 18 years later, I’d like to remedy the situation.

Chances of it coming out: Very good. They mentioned in the direct that the GamePad will support N64 games with rumble features, so it makes total sense Star Fox 64 will be an upcoming title. We could see it as early as this summer! Can you think of a better way to get raise some excitement for the upcoming Wii U Star Fox title?

Mario Party 2

I never played this iteration in the series for whatever reason. I played the first one because it was a new Mario game. Then I played the third game because Daisy and Waluigi were brand new characters to the series who I didn’t see a lot in the other Mario games. I felt like I had to play as them because they were new. Weird, yes, but that was my thirteen year old mentality back then. Another reason I picked this game was because Mario is also wearing a cowboy hat on the cover, so I imagine this as a fun, wacky sequel. Giddy up, pardner!

Chances of it coming out: Pretty good. Nintendo’s the publisher and they need to release at least a few N64 Virtual Console titles every now and then, so it will probably make its way over eventually.

And that’s it! Do you agree with my picks? Are you offended I didn’t choose something like Yoshi’s Story, Kirby 64, or even WCW/nWo Revenge? Let me know what you’d like to see on the Wii U N64 Virtual Console below.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Five N64 Games That Should Make a Virtual Console Appearance
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 07:58:45 PM »
Yeah, 1 and 2 definitely won't happen due to the rights reason you mentioned. For the rest, it seems lately Nintendo are more focused on bringing new titles to the VC than upgrading ones from Wii, so I'm not sure if we'll see them. Star Fox 64 will probably happen due to its popularity, but maybe not the other two.

I already own every US N64 game, so the only VC releases I would want to see would be translated Japanese games. And that seems highly unlikely to happen.

Offline jglonek

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »
Blast Corps needs to be on this list

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 08:33:37 PM »
Correction: Ogre Battle 64 was published by Atlusin North America. That increases the chance of a NA release, if nowhere else.

There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »
The thing with Star Fox is that I'm not sure I would want to go back to the inferior original version of the game when I already have the 3DS remake. It's probably not as inferior as the N64 Zeldas would be in that comparison, especially since  N64 games now have suspend points and save states that the Wii versions didn't, but it's still a lot less appealing to me because of that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 09:24:58 PM »
Superman 64
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 09:29:21 PM »
Blast Corps needs to be on this list

I'm vaguely interested in giving it a shot, but I dunno if I'm $9.99 interested.

Superman 64

YES

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 09:31:02 PM »
Correction: Ogre Battle 64 was published by Atlusin North America. That increases the chance of a NA release, if nowhere else.

Wikipedia says that Square Enix published the Virtual Console version. Have Atlus been making the games since day one, do they own the rights to the series?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 10:17:26 PM »
Quest were the developers, and they got bought out by Square Enix eons ago. I assume they own the rights since Quest co-published the Japanese version with Nintendo.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 10:42:06 PM »
I'd love to see both Bomberman and Goemon games. Depends on Konami, I believe, for both.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 10:47:51 PM »
If they can just manage to release at least 5 more N64 games by mid-summer I'd be happy.  I still can't believe they released 3 Wii games then proceded to completely ignore them ever since.  I have to imagine they sold a lot of copies of those games with the half price deal the first week and they clearly have other games that could be released at any time since there were different games released in other territories.  It just doesn't make sense to me sometimes why Nintendo makes it so hard for me to give them money.

Anyway, I agree about the N64 wrestling games, they were all excellent, even going back to WCW/NWO World Tour...the graphics were bad and the game was fairly bare bones but the gameplay was so good.  It just kept getting better with each release in the series.  I'm sure they'll never be released on the Virtual Console but I've got physical copies of at least two of the games.

I'd also like to see Ogre Battle 64.  I heard lots of good things about it but never tried it, I'd definitely download it if I could play it on the Gamepad.  I remember having fun with Yoshi's Story the time I rented it so I would consider buying that, and I'd consider Kirby since I didn't get into the series until recently and never played the N64 version.  Beyond that, I don't really know.  I still have physical copies of all of the N64 games I bought when the system was still new and I don't see reason to buy them again.  Excitebike might tempt me since I never bought that and possibly Goldeneye since I never owned it, just played it with friends.  Honestly, I'd rather see them focus on Wii games since there were more games I was interested in but never got around to than there was with the N64.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 11:02:32 PM »
Ogre Battle really needs a reboot on the 3DS or Wii U. I really loved OB 64 and feel some type of pointer/touch controls would be an amazing addition to the series.

I own most of the N64 games that have a shot in getting on VC. The ones I want now are niche and can be bought for under $20 on Amazon/ebay.

Only other one I never played andcould see on VC was the Battle for Naboo title by Factor 5. Other Lucas Arts games got on VC in the past and I am sure it could be done even with F5 being defunct. I am sure LucasArts/Disney own the primary rights.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 11:30:15 PM »
There aren't a ton of N64 games that weren't on the Wii VC that I'd really care about, at least assuming they can't get the Rare games on there. I would like to see Mario Party 3, though. That series has kind of fallen apart recently and 3 was always my favorite one.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 05:15:51 AM »
> No Mischief Makers
> No Sin and Punishment
> No Bomberman 64/Second Attack
> No (insertgamehere)*

No Mercy was a good choice for this list, and one of like... 4 N64 games I have left in physical form thanks to the way my friends would blatantly steal from me back in the day. I never had the heart to try and rebuild my N64 collection after learning about how much some of my old games go for on the aftermarket now. (I owned a copy of Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut.) at the same time, I generally have a ton of trouble coming back to a lot of N64 titles. Mario Kart 64 almost feels unplayable, Goldeneye is a hot mess of crazy auto aim and stiff controls, So many more games just look awful... I actually remember going out of my way to rent a lot of SNES games at the time because I thought at the time that 3D games were kinda jank and looked awful in comparison to the vibrant and expressive sprite work of the SNES. I actually played Kirby's Dreamland 3 when it was new and chose to rent it over N64 contemporaries and thinking the game looked amazing. I kinda wish the N64 had some more 2D stuff, or things that used 2D sprites with 3D enviroments like Paper Mario or Clayfighter does. I think that's why I love the looks of stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics, Breath of Fire 3, and Klonoa: Door to Phantomile.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 05:16:18 AM »
* just in case it wasn't clear, the arrow list from the previous post was meant to be sarcasm.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
(I owned a copy of Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut.)

My condolences.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 10:17:49 AM »
(I owned a copy of Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut.)

My condolences.

It's very frustrating, because I know which friend 'lost' my copy. he did it though when he was like... 7 or 8 though, so I can't really hold a grudge...?

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 11:11:05 AM »
F-Zero X

One of the only racing games I enjoy.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »
I want Mario Party 3 on the Wii U N64 VC. The maps in that game are superior to Mario Party 2, and it also features the boss-as-hell battle mode.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 11:37:42 PM »
I doubt it's agreed well, but as a kid I loved battle tanx global assault and I'd be happy to buy that one.

I own Star Fix 64 3D, but I'd be happy to buy a VC version because they changed the 4 player mode and I don't like it as much plus we only have 3 3DSes, but I have 4pro controllers and 4 player star fox rocks

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 07:32:21 PM »
Need Metriod Prime hunters....( I know I know it's not N64 but still spectacular multiplayer. Plus Clex loving the new avatar.)
Made you look ****.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 11:28:16 PM »
Need Metriod Prime hunters....( I know I know it's not N64 but still spectacular multiplayer. Plus Clex loving the new avatar.)

Thank you, Lucfan! Somebody got it for me for my birthday. funny as it's a sort of pic I've tried doing myself for a while and just couldn't get it to look good. :C

Offline Zulehan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 04:00:29 AM »
If Mario Party 2 were released on the Wii U virtual console, I only see myself getting it with support of pro controllers and the gamepad, as I would not buy extra classic controllers (with the obligatory extra wii remotes for them) just to play the game on there.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 04:13:20 AM »
If Mario Party 2 were released on the Wii U virtual console, I only see myself getting it with support of pro controllers and the gamepad, as I would not buy extra classic controllers (with the obligatory extra wii remotes for them) just to play the game on there.

I only own Super Mario 64 of the available N64 games on Wii U, but it supports all those types of controllers, so I assume any other games would as well. Now if we could just get GameCube adapter support, then we'd really be in business.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 01:23:46 PM »
I got Ogre Battle 64 recently.  Cartridge only which kind of bugs me since I remember around 2002 or so I could see tons of used complete copies for at least half of what I paid and I always debated buying it but never did.  I did have the SNES game and was utterly confused by it so that was hurt my interest.

I understand RPGs a lot better now than I did then so I now "get" Ogre Battle.  It helps that the N64 game has a really detailed (optional) tutorial.  I haven't played it too much yet but so far it's a very fun game.  Very detailed with a lot of depth (and probably no good for someone without much free time as a result).  Think of it less like an RPG and more like a real time strategy game with RPG elements.  It is one of the absolute best N64 third party games and the only time that PlayStation RPG fans were jealous of N64 owners.  It should absolutely be available on the VC and there is no legal hurdle to prevent it.