Author Topic: I'm Lookin for PS2 games...  (Read 5765 times)

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
I'm Lookin for PS2 games...
« on: July 04, 2007, 09:32:13 AM »
Alright so I bought a PS2 back when the GCN was in a dry spell (1st dry spell), I gave it a chance and it died in less than 6 months.  I sold everything away, and here I am now looking to give it another chance.  I mainly love RPG's but I like a lot of games from other genres.  So anyways I'd like some recommendations on what PS2 games to buy.

Here is a list of what games I've already bought:

Psychonaughts
The Mark of Kri
Psi-Ops
Xenosaga I
Star Ocean: Till the end of time
Musashi: Samurai Legend

Here is a list of games that are on my wishlist:

Disgaea 1 & 2
Phantom Brave
La Pucelle Tactics
Okami
Katamari Damacy
Radiata Stories
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Bully
Dragon Quest VIII
Gitaroo Man
God of War 1 & 2
GTA: San Andreas
ICO
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
Odin Sphere
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow of the Colossus
Soul Calibur III
Suikoden III
Suikoden Tactics
Valkyrie Profile 2
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Legendia
Xenosaga II & III

To be honest most of these games I don't know too much about, such as Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden and I don't know if getting it would be dumb if I haven't played the first game.  Anyways I'd love some feedback, what should i add and or remove.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: I'm Lookin for PS2 games...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 03:38:54 PM »
I'm going to say Monster Rancher 3 or 4 but I really like the series.  Also DDR.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 04:40:13 PM »
Personally, I hated ICO.  Thought it totally sucked.

Amplitude is an awesome music game, if you're into that.  But it's been made more than obsolete by the likes of Guitar Hero.  But since I've never played Guitar Hero, I still enjoy Amplitude every once in a while.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
RE:I'm Lookin for PS2 games...
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »
By the likes of Guitar Hero my ass...Guitar Hero IS Amplitude, except with a periphiral.
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 04:59:54 PM »
I've heard nothing but praise for Shadow of the Colossus... but I haven't played it myself. let me know how that one turns out!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 06:25:38 PM »
I'm not a fan of Monster Rancher, or DDR.  Amplitude seems like my kind of game, music games can be good with or without a accessory add on as seen in Band Brothers, Elite Beat Agents, etc.  As for Guitar Hero, I'm waiting for the Wii version.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 08:24:08 PM »
Shadow Of the Colossus is very good.  Read some of the reviews and watch the videos.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 09:19:19 PM »

Originally posted by: WuTangTurtle
Here is a list of games that are on my wishlist:

Okami
Dragon Quest VIII
God of War 1 & 2
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
Oden Sphere
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow of the Colossus
Valkyrie Profile 2

I suggest getting these games, they're all pretty awesome!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 04:42:49 AM »
I also can't let this travesty of error happen to such an awesome game. It's Odin Sphere not Oden. If it's still out there (Ah Atlus...you and your silly low shipments), please buy it. It's great.
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 06:00:46 AM »
fixed.  Boy is that embarrassing, i must have just read something on Greg Oden (NBA 1st draft pick).  Silly me

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 12:15:09 AM »
Earth Defence Force 2!

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 09:59:56 AM »
I ended up buying both "Tales of" games you mentioned on Ebay! lol
I'll tell you if they're good (from the reviews I've read, they seem to be fine).
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 06:37:43 AM »
All those games suck except GTA

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 07:33:45 AM »
You know . . . I got a PS2 a while back. Some years ago for Christmas I asked for one and some games just to see what all the hupla was about. I got a bunch of the (at the time) best rated PS2 games at the time.

Probably the biggest let down ever, none of the games really appealed to me and in the end (as in now) I only have Soul Calibur 3, Dragonball Z Budokai 3, Guilty Gear X2 and Final Fantasy XI. The first three are really good (well DBZ one if you're a fan of the show, though try and get one with the japanese voices) and FF11 was fun for a while but got old after a few months.

I always though I was "missing" something by just having Nintendo systems I was glad I proved myself wrong.

PS - Two other fun games I don't own anymore but used to: GTA and Katamari. Great time killers.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 08:11:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario

GTA is WAY overrated: I found this game so boring...
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 09:01:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Ghisy

Originally posted by: Mario

GTA is WAY overrated: I found this game so boring...

I agree, the only real "fun" aspect to it is entering in passwords and just running a muck. It's a good time killer but it doesn't have much substance.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 09:06:23 AM »
I repeat myself but it can't be said often enough: EARTH DEFENCE FORCE 2! Totally worth modding your console for. Oh and you can also get Melty Blood that way.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 05:33:40 PM »
Hey KDR, Global Defence Force is finally out after a year of delays. One of my mates told me they completely removed the radio chatter, didn't even bother with subtitles. Quality! PS2 is pretty much my second favorite console ever, but it's hard to recommend most of what I have in my collection that I enjoy, as like 90% of them are PAL releases that never got released in America. BUT BUT

Ace Crumbat 5. Lots of people say 4 is better but I played 4 and I was like NAAW. There's my review.

Activision Anthology. Because playing 2600 games on the PS2 with an awesome 80's soundtrack is fun.

Burnout 3. Even if you don't like racing games you'll enjoy it because who doesn't enjoy slamming cars into oncoming traffic? It's good to do in real life too, it's basically a brain training game. Burnout Revenge is arse compared to this.

Disaster Report. A quality game dragged down by the awful, awful frame rate. But hey, that's because entire buildings fall down around you. You run around a city that's being ruined by earthquakes, some of the moments are jaw-drop worthy. The sequel just got released too, called Raw Danger. I haven't played that but apparently it's good. Except replace earthquakes with floods.

Flipnic. Demented pinball. The game is just so surreal, it's DELIGHTFUL.

Gitaroo Man. Developed by the Elite Beat Agent dudes. Friggin' hard, but pretty fun.

GTA SA. Because it annoys NWR, also because it's extremely good. GTA 3 is also worthy, but I dunno, just start with the best, really.

Grandia 2. Graphically hopeless compared to the DC version, but the game's still there in all its glory. :] Probably one of the only games I've enjoyed playing as a generic angsty wanker.

Gungrave. MINDLESS AWESOME FUN. DESTROY EVERYTHING. Good music too.

Kingdom Hearts. ... ;__;

Klonoa 2. You might have trouble finding this, but it's the best platformer on the PS2. Should have been on GC, really.

The Red Star. Took eighty years to come out, but damn it was worth it. A fantastic old-school style beat 'em up mixed with a shooter (you'll be dodging hundreds of bullets on-screen at times).

Rez. Because it's good, and it'll remind you that Sega used to make video games that were worth playing.

Sky Odssey. If you don't buy it I'll cry. Still the closest thing there is to Pilotwings 64.

Taito Legends 2. It's only $20, and you get like 25 or something awesome arcade games.

Transformers. NOT THE NEW MOVIE BASED ONE. This is the Melbourne House developed one that came out in 2004. Really awesome stuff, and the graphics are still incredible.

Yakuza. Because badly dubbed swearing every three seconds is lol.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 08:10:35 PM »
Infernal is why no matter how hard Kairon tries, he will never be the King of bad third party releases.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 08:10:58 PM »
I only have Gungrave Overdose, supposedly the first one had loads of flaws and was overpriced? Overdose cost 15€ right from the start.

I think for most of those I'd have to dig through the used shelves.

Oh and please do post those PAL ones you liked, WTT isn't the only one looking for buying recommendations here :P  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2007, 08:40:23 PM »
I'm disappointed KDR. I thought you'd be in with a derogatory comment about Rez as soon as I read that Infernal recommended it.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 03:26:03 AM »
Naw, I can't be bothered, it's so bad it doesn't even deserve a proper rant.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 01:15:09 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I only have Gungrave Overdose, supposedly the first one had loads of flaws and was overpriced? Overdose cost 15€ right from the start.

I think for most of those I'd have to dig through the used shelves.

Oh and please do post those PAL ones you liked, WTT isn't the only one looking for buying recommendations here :P

Oh yeah, Overdose is pretty awesome too! I actually haven't gotten around to finishing that one (I think I kept dying in a warehouse with drunk people driving bulldozers). First one has clipping issues, you can get stuck in walls at times. I dunno about the price, I bought it pre-owned. =') PAL GAMES AHOY. IGN doesn't have little box arts for these. So crushed.

- Akira Psycho Ball
This pretty much depends on if you like pinball or not, it's the best the PS2 has to offer. The tables are extremely creative, and it has the whole Akira theme going.

- Demolition Girl
Ie; Simple 2000: The Daibijin. The game's extremely cheap, which is good because it's only good as a joke game. You have to try and take down a gigantic woman destroying the city with your helicopter. Your very first mission is to get her breast measurements with a laser beam. It's fun for the whole family.

- Gregory Horror Show: Soul Collector
No idea why this never got an American release. It's by Capcom, based on an anime apparently. You're trapped in a hotel, given the task of collecting the souls of the other twelve guests. Very puzzle heavy adventure-ish sorta thing. Great stuff. It has a neat cartoony look to it, but there's quite a lot of violence and other disturbing things in it like a pink lizard nurse that moans when she drains your blood. :]

- King of Fighters XI
It's King of Fighters!

- Lemmings
A PAL exclusive port of the PSP remake, but it's better on PS2 simply because Lemmings has no place on a piss small screen!

I'll edit more in later, I'm going to consume food now!

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 04:28:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
- Demolition Girl
Ie; Simple 2000: The Daibijin. The game's extremely cheap, which is good because it's only good as a joke game. You have to try and take down a gigantic woman destroying the city with your helicopter. Your very first mission is to get her breast measurements with a laser beam. It's fun for the whole family.

SOLD!

Oh and apparently trying to find the more recent Tales of the Abyss is harder than it should be, while Tales of Legendia is widely found in the used section.  Something tells me Legendia sucked, and Abyss is the way to go.

I also just picked up Phantom Brave and Odin Sphere, I may need to start bringing in my PS2 to work instead of my Gamcube, Naruto, and Smash Bros Melee......I think my co-workers will protest.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 03:19:57 AM »
BTW, what's the difference between KoF11 and KoF Neowave? I guess Maximum Impact is a 3d fighter but those two seem to be 2d.