NWR Interactive > Podcast Discussion

RetroActive 51: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

<< < (3/3)

doug:
Last minute post! I’ve just been playing the Wii U game. Only made it to level 6 so far.

There are a lot of ideas here that seem cool, but overall I’m not finding the game very engaging. The gameplay seems to shift between too slow/easy and too fast/hard, and doesn’t often hit the sweet spot in between.

With the necessity for the touchscreen, this is 100% a handheld game. That makes it hard to go back to from Switch. The way our space at home is set up, it felt silly sitting in front the TV with the TV turned off. In the end I moved to Wii U to a different room without a TV and played there. It’s such an awkward piece of hardware, with the console, bulky game pad, and the effective need for a wall-powered external hard disk.

I’m not sure if we should celebrate that the Wii U supported a variety of types of games, or be critical that it tried to have handheld games but they were awkward. Playing Kirby is a reminder to be grateful for the magic of modern ARM-based processors and the other advances that made the Switch possible.

(I‘d say the Wii U was a better fit for games that used both screens to their own advantage, Deus Ex Human Revolution being the prime example. I miss this, but the majority of games don’t fall into this category.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version