Author Topic: What Do we want from the wii successor  (Read 39154 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
What Do we want from the wii successor
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:53:53 PM »
As a follow from the topic on the next DS system, I thought it would be nice if we could discuss the nest Nintendo home console. Some people speculate that it will arrive in 2011 or slightly later. However, if the new wii was to appear, what would everyone want from based on their experiences of the current generation?

If the price is right, I expect the next system to have high definition graphics. The motion controls, if any, should be upgraded to respond to more motions. Better internet connectivity and a movie and music player would be nice. Also, maybe the machine could emulate Saturn games if they could find an easy way to do it. Oh, and it should be half the size of the wii and about 8 GB  of flash memory for storage.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: What Do we want from the wii successor
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »
Anti-aliasing.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:31:52 PM »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 11:41:07 PM »
There is no chance of it being half the size of Wii (considering how small the Wii is), especially if you want the graphics to actually improve.

Off the top of my head (I could think of more if I put more time into it):

Achievements - Easily one of the best features introduced this gen and one of the reasons I always picked the Xbox 360 version of a game. Sony has copied this feature with their Trophy system, but Achievements are much better.

Built in HDD or at least support for them, take a cue from Sony though by letting consumers use their own (not being forced to use propriety ones like Microsoft does).

Expand the Wii Shop Channel to include content like PlayStation Store and Xbox Live Marketplace; meaning stuff like game demos, a central place for add-ons (instead of having to go through the games internal menu, this can provide more advertising and intice them to buy a game if they see a add-on they like), movies/TV shows, etc.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:53:22 PM »
1.  A dedicated online service on-par or better than Xbox Live or the PSN, which not only handles online multiplayer but a dedicated online store on par with those two I mentioned (including and especially demos).

2.  A healthy-sized Hard Disk Drive that has room for a respectable amount of titles downloaded from the above service.  60-80 GB at least would be satsifactory.

3.  An achievement-style system of some sort, however Nintendo wants to do it.  I rather enjoy collecting trophies in my PS3 service, and I find them a great incentive to get the most of my gaming experience.

4.  Technical specs at least on-par with the Xbox 360, if not the PS3 (both of whom by that time will probably have progressed to much more advanced specs).  That definitely includes HD compatibility.

5.  No goddamn Friend Codes, or anything like them.

6.  Support for motion controllers and standardized gaming controllers like the Classic Controller and whatnot.

7.  Backwards compatibility with Wii (and preferably GameCube) titles, including the ability to import all your saved data and VC/WiiWare games from your original Wii.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 12:00:08 AM »
There is no chance of it being half the size of Wii (considering how small the Wii is), especially if you want the graphics to actually improve.

Off the top of my head (I could think of more if I put more time into it):

Achievements - Easily one of the best features introduced this gen and one of the reasons I always picked the Xbox 360 version of a game. Sony has copied this feature with their Trophy system, but Achievements are much better.

Built in HDD or at least support for them, take a cue from Sony though by letting consumers use their own (not being forced to use propriety ones like Microsoft does).

Expand the Wii Shop Channel to include content like PlayStation Store and Xbox Live Marketplace; meaning stuff like game demos, a central place for add-ons (instead of having to go through the games internal menu, this can provide more advertising and intice them to buy a game if they see a add-on they like), movies/TV shows, etc.

The switchable hardrives could be like the SD cards. You could change them on the fly as you wish. However, Nintendo will probably screw us on this one.

How about a built in sensor bar. Eh, no more cords or hassle of havinf to place the bar places.

How about external hard drive suport?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:04:52 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 12:06:15 AM »
2.  A healthy-sized Hard Disk Drive that has room for a respectable amount of titles downloaded from the above service.  60-80 GB at least would be satsifactory.

I came in here to request 10-20 GB of solid state memory as opposed to a hard drive.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 12:07:59 AM »
built in sensor bar is a horrible idea.

you gonna place your Wii ontop of your mounted HDTV?
sensor bar is fine the way it is, and if the cord bothers you there are cordless option for you or non-electrical alternatives too.

edit: I also hope Nintendo surprises us with Holograhic storage next gen since they have been researching it heavily for the past 10 years or so.
100+GB of proprietary HoloStorage FTW
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:09:48 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 12:09:37 AM »
Anti-aliasing.

What is that?

Makes less jaggies.

Achievements - Easily one of the best features introduced this gen

Ugh. I vehemently disagree. All it does is give developers an excuse to half-ass a game's replay value and if people complain they can be like "BUT IT'LL TAKE YOU A MILLION HOURS TO GET ALL THE ACHIEVEMENTS!" and give idiots online an excuse to talk down to people because they've unlocked X achievement or hit Y gamerscore. All it is is an ePenis++
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 12:10:24 AM »
I personally don't worry about the next generation of consoles since Nintendo hasn't shown off anything in regards to a new console. I am just going to enjoy the current gen of consoles until Nintendo announces something.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 12:11:02 AM »

I came in here to request 10-20 GB of solid state memory as opposed to a hard drive.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between "solid state memory" and a "hard drive"?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 12:11:54 AM »
I want it to launch in multiple colours, one of which should be pink.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 12:21:11 AM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between "solid state memory" and a "hard drive"?

A hard drive uses disks. Solid state is pretty much what it sounds like, essentially a solid piece of circuitry that holds information.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 12:22:05 AM »

solid state is flash memory. No moving parts.
A hard Drive has a spinning disc which is a moving part.

solid state is much more compact but more expensive (sd cards, ipods, iphone)
hard drives hold much more space at cheaper prices (1tb hdd cost about $100)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 12:24:51 AM »
I think the most important thing Nintendo could do is offer the license to a physics engine for developers from day one, one which would allow easy interaction to a 1:1 controller.  I still don't think that "better graphics" are the way of the future very far beyond the Wii.  Truthfully, I feel much of what's in high-end titles is excessive.

So yeah, instead of focusing on graphics, polygons, textures, and stuff like that, I'd hope Nintendo focuses on higher computing power based on phsyics.  A Golf game that literally recreates the true physics of golf can be next.  The same with a tennis game.  Sure, we get a lot of that now with the motion plus, but imagine things growing "more real" in that sense.  The PS3's isn't any better than the Wii with the motion plus, from what I've seen, so I think this would be the direction Nintendo might move in.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 12:25:24 AM »
Mass storage solid state isn't flash. That would be pretty silly, since flash memory gives out after about a million rewrites, which happen constantly when you use a computer.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 12:30:49 AM »
Isn't a hard drive more durable than solid state? I have three ten-year-old hard drives in my computer that all still work just as well as the day they were manufactured. Meanwhile, I know people with cameras, music players, and even Wii systems that have had problems with corrupted memory.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 12:46:22 AM »
Anti-aliasing.

What is that?

Makes less jaggies.

Ugh. I vehemently disagree. All it does is give developers an excuse to half-ass a game's replay value and if people complain they can be like "BUT IT'LL TAKE YOU A MILLION HOURS TO GET ALL THE ACHIEVEMENTS!" and give idiots online an excuse to talk down to people because they've unlocked X achievement or hit Y gamerscore. All it is is an ePenis++

Yeah, I don't think you know what you are talking about. While some games have done a terrible job (like Bomberman Blast having a Achievement of 1 million bombs, something that at the rate of 1 bomb per second would take 13 straight weeks to get. Or Final Fantasy XI requiring you to get a character up to Level 75, something that can take over 100 hours even for an experienced MMO player). If anything, Achievements have given games longer lives with gamers as they will play a game longer than they normally would have.

Do you also bitch about Super Smash Bros. Brawl having a built-in achievement system? Or arcade games 30+ years old having high scores? Achievements are the modern version of high score tables. I don't get people who complain about them. You don't like them? Fine. But stop claiming they are a bad thing. They are a good thing and I am glad Sony and Microsoft make them mandatory.

Mop, flash memory is more durable. This isn't really a big deal for consoles though, it's really more for portable systems since it prevents stuff like skipping. There is also the problem that flash memory is more expensive (i.e. 32 GB of solid state memory is cheaper than 32 GB of flash memory).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 12:48:38 AM »
Mass storage solid state isn't flash. That would be pretty silly, since flash memory gives out after about a million rewrites, which happen constantly when you use a computer.
well what I meant was that Solid state is like a flash card (SD card) in that it doesn't have any moving parts vs a HDD that has a spinning magnetic disc.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 12:51:32 AM »
I've phsyically BENT flash memory before and had it still work.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 01:03:03 AM »
Anti-aliasing.

What is that?

Makes less jaggies.

Yeah, I don't think you know what you are talking about. While some games have done a terrible job (like Bomberman Blast having a Achievement of 1 million bombs, something that at the rate of 1 bomb per second would take 13 straight weeks to get. Or Final Fantasy XI requiring you to get a character up to Level 75, something that can take over 100 hours even for an experienced MMO player). If anything, Achievements have given games longer lives with gamers as they will play a game longer than they normally would have.

Do you also bitch about Super Smash Bros. Brawl having a built-in achievement system? Or arcade games 30+ years old having high scores? Achievements are the modern version of high score tables. I don't get people who complain about them. You don't like them? Fine. But stop claiming they are a bad thing. They are a good thing and I am glad Sony and Microsoft make them mandatory.

Mop, flash memory is more durable. This isn't really a big deal for consoles though, it's really more for portable systems since it prevents stuff like skipping. There is also the problem that flash memory is more expensive (i.e. 32 GB of solid state memory is cheaper than 32 GB of flash memory).

Wow, I've hated the things that make you complete modes in Brawl with all the characters.  It's fine when each target test table is unique, and players only have one, but doing the same target test 20+ times, just with different characters is annoying.  The same with beating every "classic-like" mode with every character.  It's just unnecessary.  It adds time to the game, yes, but with a game like Brawl, I'd rather spend the time elsewhere.  I still need about five stickers and five trophies, and I've spent hours in the coin launcher.  Unless I fight a boss battle over and over again, there's no quicker way, and it's just a grind.  I'd rather see rarer stickers pop up in vs. fights, as well as trophies.  It's annoying otherwise.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 01:09:05 AM »
Mop, flash memory is more durable.
Can you explain in what ways? In my experience, it is much more prone to corruption than a hard drive.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 01:18:19 AM »
The only thing I'd really want is a 2D Mario game with a level editor. It could be done on the Wii, but since it won't, I'd want it any way I could get it.

But if we're strictly talking hardware, I'd like Nintendo to go less peripheral crazy. I've always been a proponent of ditching the classic controller in favor of a single controller.

Rechargeable batteries in the controller. Wireless sensor bar.

Connectivity with DS2, specifically sharing VC games between systems.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 01:25:56 AM »
Mop, flash memory is more durable.
Can you explain in what ways? In my experience, it is much more prone to corruption than a hard drive.
Like BlackNMild2k1 explained, a hard drive is a spinning magnetic disk.  Moving parts tend to fail, over time.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 01:55:17 AM »
A 2d Mario level editor built into every system? With the ability to download, upload, and vote for the best ones.

Game. Set. Match.
black fairy tales are better at sports