Author Topic: Any good Wii games to play over the holidays?  (Read 3113 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Any good Wii games to play over the holidays?
« on: December 14, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »
With some free time coming up over the holidays, I'm trying to pick a game from my Wii backlog to enjoy. Does anyone have suggestions that would be appropriate for the winter/Christmas season?

Some candidates I'm considering:
* Cursed Mountain - climbing a snowy, ghost-filled mountain sounds fun right?
* Toejam & Earl - I've gotten pretty far in the game, but never completed it; presents and sneaking up on Santa are big parts of the game
* Shaun White Showboarding: World Stage - admittedly, this was higher on my list before spraining my ankle; played with the balance board it's a lot of fun

Anyone else with suggestions that have a wintery/holiday feel, or maybe some kind of Christmas cameo in the game, and are still worth playing?
NNID: ejamer

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Any good Wii games to play over the holidays?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:53:56 AM »
Animal Crossing.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 01:00:00 PM »
Cursed Mountain is a good choice. Might I also suggest Silent Hill: Shattered Memories?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 01:22:25 PM »
If your goal is to finish some games from the backlog, I would start with Toejam & Earl and either finish or permanently drop that, before moving onto a new one.

For snowy stuff, yeah just pick Cursed Mountain and go with it. If it's too moody for the season you can always pick Shaun White after all (reminds me I still gotta play SSX Blur).

Additional left-field suggestions: I tend to associate the holiday season with films that came out around the time. So Lord of the Rings, for example; I heard that Aragorn's Quest game was pretty decent if you happen to have it. Similarly, I'd imagine Epic Mickey probably has a snow/Christmas level?

Secret Files: Tunguska is a point & click adventure that got a Wii port. I'm assuming it's set in Siberia given the name, so that probably has plenty snow too haha.
If you're a Sega fan, NiGHTS Journey of Dreams might remind you of Christmas NiGHTS for Saturn. The Wii sequel is just not a very good game if I'm honest, but the last level wouldn't feel out of place in a Spielberg family movie I guess.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »
Animal Crossing.

Good call - but am actively playing New Leaf with my kids, so probably won't go back to revisit the Wii version. (Just the thought of all those weeds, so many years later... *shudder*)

... Might I also suggest Silent Hill: Shattered Memories?

Ooh... Good suggestion! Snowy, suspenseful, and supposed to be an excellent game by all accounts. The only reason I might hold back is that I want a few good games held back instead of playing all the best games and leaving the "not so exciting" titles afterwards.

... Aragorn's Quest ... Epic Mickey ... Secret Files: Tunguska ... NiGHTS Journey of Dreams ...

I own the first two, and both are interesting suggestions. Aragorn's Quest seemed to get middling reviews, but looks nice and Lord of the Rings has kind of a Christmas appeal (when else will I ever have enough free time to watch those epics movies). Epic Mickey is also just a gorgeous idea, even though all reports suggest the gameplay doesn't live up to the concept.

Tunguska is one I missed out on, but since the sequel never got released in North America don't feel too bad about it.

NiGHTS is a previously-owned game that got sold. It was something I tried to enjoy, but just couldn't.

...  For snowy stuff, yeah just pick Cursed Mountain and go with it. ...

Yeah - I think this will be the pick. Although I did just start Batman: The Brave and the Bold - The Video Game so will probably polish that off first to make a dent in the backlog. It's supposed to be pretty quick.

Thanks everyone!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 04:29:17 PM »
I'm picking up new copies of the Resident Evil Chronicles rail shooter games over the holidays to enjoy again while waiting for the remake of 2 to come out. If you've never played them, Umbrella Chronicles is good but Darkside Chronicles is fantastic (outside of the wobbly camera).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 09:13:07 AM »
Kirby's Epic Yarn is a yearly winter game for my wife & me.  Just a relaxing, pleasant, easy co-op platformer.  It also has delightful music including some winter levels that feel very Christmas-y.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 10:22:29 PM »
The RE "light gun" games are the best light gun games.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 11:01:08 PM »
Kirby's Epic Yarn is a yearly winter game for my wife & me.  Just a relaxing, pleasant, easy co-op platformer.  It also has delightful music including some winter levels that feel very Christmas-y.

Oooh!  This is giving Cursed Mountain a real run for it's money. A Kirby game would be great, even a non-traditional one.

Also, totally agree that the Resident Evil light gun games are fantastic. Tough call between these and House of the Dead for best light gun series on Wii...

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 11:41:44 AM »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
Disaster: Day of Crisis

Owned, but unplayed as of yet.
Can it possible live up to the expectations set by RFN?  Honestly, I'm a bit scared to even try at this point. ;)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 02:22:55 AM »
The RE "light gun" games are the best light gun games.

That would be Dead Space: Extraction, which is not Christmas-y in the least, but a must-play in my book.

More on topic, I gave Cursed Mountain a real shot, and while I liked the atmosphere and Tibetan horror concept, I found it too clunky to keep going at about the halfway point. Having to wave the remote around for every enemy just wore me down.

Shattered Memories is fantastic, though, and most of the game is borderline walking sim, so it's not too stressful.

For unmentioned titles, I'd go way back on Wii and recommend Elebits, which has kind of a cozy elfin vibe to it.

Finally, Little King's Story is Nutcracker themed, and one of my favorite games (best Pikmin), but it's pretty involved and difficult.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 02:33:14 AM »
Play No More Heroes 1 and 2 in preparation for Travis Strikes Again on Switch next month.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 01:28:35 PM »
I'm gonna have to go with the Cursed Mountain vote.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 08:34:46 PM »
What did you play, eJamer?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »
What did you play, eJamer?

I played remarkably little over the holidays - mostly board games, since we had a non-stop parade of friends and family around. Solo gaming time was essentially non-existent.

However, I'm still planning to move to Cursed Mountain in January... which seems more appropriate anyway, since (so far) we've gotten colder weather, more snow, and much more despair now that work is back with no notable holidays on the horizon.