Author Topic: Raptr Adds Intelligent Social News Feed  (Read 2096 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Raptr Adds Intelligent Social News Feed
« on: May 26, 2011, 04:57:56 PM »

The eight million-strong gaming community site is adding a news feed that gives you the news you want.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26400

Raptr, the gaming community site that began in 2007, is launching a social news feed to complements its other slate of gaming community interaction today.

The end result, which you can check out by making an account on their web site, is something similar to Digg or Reddit, where readers can search through news of their liking and upgrade or downgrade news they like. You can add topics at your own behest, or you can link up one of your online personas on Xbox Live or PSN and it will pull your game information. Unfortunately, because of Nintendo's online structure, you can't automate your topic selection as easily.

You can also follow Nintendo World Report on Raptr, giving you an alternate way to see what new content we have up on the site.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Raptr Adds Intelligent Social News Feed
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:21:55 PM »
You can now add Raptr to your site/forum profiles.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »
Another website I've never heard of. I wonder if there's any methodology to how sites like this come into existence and which grow popular, or if it's just totally random...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 06:37:22 PM »
Another website I've never heard of. I wonder if there's any methodology to how sites like this come into existence and which grow popular, or if it's just totally random...
I'll bet its like Cubivore.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:26:48 PM »
You would have a much better chance of knowing what Raptr is if you were a frequent gamer on Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, as you can plug your online presence on those consoles into Raptr and have it track how much of what games you played, giving you a pretty neat rundown of how you spend your time gaming, cross platform. 
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »
You would have a much better chance of knowing what Raptr is if you were a frequent gamer on Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, as you can plug your online presence on those consoles into Raptr and have it track how much of what games you played, giving you a pretty neat rundown of how you spend your time gaming, cross platform. 

Isn't this basically the same thing that the Nintendo Channel offers. You can track what games you have played and how long of a peticular game.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 10:40:28 PM »

Isn't this basically the same thing that the Nintendo Channel offers. You can track what games you have played and how long of a peticular game.

Yes. Raptr will keep track of all those hours. They even have a PC application to track PC games. The program also has a cross-platform buddy list and instant messaging. It's not perfect. Double clicking a Steam buddy will just launch the chat window in Steam. It not too much of a issue, though.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »
In my experience, the stats gathered in the Nintendo Channel are not particularly accurate.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 11:04:37 PM »
In my experience, the stats gathered in the Nintendo Channel are not particularly accurate.

QFT

It's a good approximation, but I've seen it not go up at all after putting several more hours into a game.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 11:08:43 PM »
It's a good approximation, but I've seen it not go up at all after putting several more hours into a game.
If you checked it right away then the new playtime might not be counted yet. Sometimes it takes a day or two to show up. Also, if you ever play a game when the Wii is not set to the correct date and time, it will very likely not count that playtime in the total.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 11:11:27 PM »
The Wii's internal tracker is buggy as heck. I've had games suddenly register 23:59 for no reason.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 11:14:48 PM »
Really? That's interesting. I wonder what caused it? I haven't seen any issues like that which I recall, the only thing I noticed is that if the Wii is unplugged or the power goes out, the time will show up as only 1 minute. Which isn't even really a bug, probably just how the system works.