Author Topic: Rumor: Just Sniffing Around  (Read 13057 times)

Offline Mingesium

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Rumor: Just Sniffing Around
« on: February 03, 2003, 02:09:29 PM »
This wasn't posted in talkback so lets start a discussion here.

One of the rumors is LAN gaming. The Sega one is that PSO card game, but the Nintendo games could be anything. I would hope that it is F-Zero GC. Having a LAN party playing F-Zero with 29 other people would be pretty cool.

Edit: Spelling

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 02:20:12 PM »
F^ck these new threads i just lost all the sh!t i typed out. anyways i was saying nintendo should put all of their mulitplayer games online from now on, or at the least let them support lan play. they have many to choose from like mario party, animal crossing, mario tennis, golf, and kart. i personally think that the games that louie were  talking about is probably pokemon.....kan play wouldnt be that impressive, but if it were online......yes. well i currently have a bb adapter but no games to use it on....i am waiting nintendo......
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 02:25:21 PM »
LAN games = cool

LAN gaming instead of online games = lame

There no mention of any of these rumoured titles being online, only being LAN capable.  If Nintendo thinks this is a decent substitute they are very wrong.  LAN should be a feature for online games.  LAN should not be a replacement for online games.

Seriously Nintendo's utter refusal to acknowledge that online is an important part of the future is going to bite them in the ass bigtime.  I really hope these titles are not just LAN only for Nintendo's sake.  They can talk about "communication games" all they want but until they go online they're living in the past just like they did when they stuck with cartridges.

F-Zero with LAN would RULE but as I said F-Zero Online would be way better.  System selling killer app better.  

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 02:48:07 PM »
Multiplayer is always cool, but LAN and online both have their pitfalls.

LAN requires multiple consoles and multiple tv's, multiple controllers, and multiple copies of the game. So even if your friend brings over his GC and controllers and his copy of the game, you'll still need to set up two tv's in one room, and move some furniture around.. not to mention buy some booze (or soda pop or whatever).. It's a lot of trouble to go through.. Sure, you might do this for a party, game-a-thon, or whatever, but you're probably not going to do this regularly (like on a weekly basis).

Online is okay, and has a lot of potential, but requires additional purchase of hardware and services by the user. Even then, it's not THAT big of a thrill... unless you can trashtalk live (using a headset, not a keyboard).

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 02:53:47 PM »
I have to say that the Voice Communicator you get with Xbox Live is definitely a killer app for online.  While some people can get annoying (judicious use of an ignore list helps), there's nothing like hearing the cheers of your teammates getting a righteous kill, or the rantings of your enemies as you pummel them.

A keyboard is better than nothing, but voice communication is THE Holy Grail of interacting online as far as I'm concerned.  I was really worried that it would be more annoying than anything at first, but I'm completely sold.

Now, if only it were wireless ...
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 03:07:25 PM »
I've lost faith in Nintendo's online plan.......but i'm giving them one more shot at E3. PULL THROUGH DAMN IT!!! I want to whoop some unknown ass.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Meta-Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 04:30:21 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Seriously Nintendo's utter refusal to acknowledge that online is an important part of the future is going to bite them in the ass bigtime.  I really hope these titles are not just LAN only for Nintendo's sake.  They can talk about "communication games" all they want but until they go online they're living in the past just like they did when they stuck with cartridges.

Did Nintendo ever say online would not be an important part of the future?  All they said was that it was not profitable RIGHT NOW for a company like Nintendo.  I'm not sure they are right about this, though...

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 04:46:01 PM »
On a slightly positive note, wouldn't this mean the ability to play online using services like GameSpy? Granted it's not the same as having an official onine solution, but it's a start.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Zach Adams

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2003, 04:54:59 PM »
I certainly would want LAN play much more then online. It is very easy to set up too, ok so you have to move a tv and one of the friends who come over have to have a GCN with 4 controllers, but thats it. I hope its Mario Kart, that will be the coolest because both my brothers like that game ONLY not other GCN games.
If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say.

Offline JSR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2003, 07:54:28 PM »
I like the LAN idea, as long as online is involved. If it’s just play a GCN game on separate TVs that would be a little dumb. But the part of the rumors that said Nintendo has two (likely online) games coming down the pipeline sounds cool!  
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2003, 07:57:40 PM »
I would love to be able to host Lan games. Online would be better, but being able to have 16 linked gamecubes is great. Now give us a new FPS to use this ability

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2003, 08:06:35 PM »
it would be cool if Nintendo package a rerelease of Goldeneye with the broadband adapters. They could show off the LAN with people playing Goldeneye off the LCD screens. Maybe have a limit of 8 people: 4 Vs. 4 or all out deathmatch.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2003, 09:33:59 PM »
lan is ideal for college dorms.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2003, 09:53:29 AM »
"Did Nintendo ever say online would not be an important part of the future? All they said was that it was not profitable RIGHT NOW for a company like Nintendo."

I know but when if it does become profitable is Nintendo going to be able to keep up with MS and Sony who are making sure to get a foothold in the online market?  Sometimes you have to be willing to take a loss in the present to get some profits in the future.  Nintendo not only is not making any online games themselves (or at least not announced any) but they're making it hard for third parties to make online Gamecube games as well.  Besides most online games are connected point-to-point so there's not server maintenance like with an online RPG.  Simple online multiplayer games like Mario Kart Online could easily be done without major server costs.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2003, 10:08:48 AM »
That's a VERY important point.  Nintendo has released the hardware for online, but they are making it PAINFULLY difficult for developers to incorporate any online features in their games.  Why on earth should games like Tony Hawk 4 and Ghost Recon need to be without any online component?  Nintendo doesn't NEED to be involved when the game would offer simple peer-to-peer play, there would only need to be a matchmaking server.  This is completely unacceptable.  Third-parties willing to take the plunge to offer online play to their consumers shouldn't have to omit the feature because Nintendo won't release the tools.  I'm sure Nintendo wants to be "first to the party", but that's just silly.  Nintendo drags it's feet, and the format suffers as a result.

My only hope, and it's admittedly a vain one, is that Nintendo does have some sort of all-encompassing online plan in the works, and that's why we haven't seen anything outside of PSO.  Nintendo just wants to make sure everyone is on-board first, and that they have the technology ready.  But I think if Nintendo is going to announce some sort of online strategy, E3 is pretty much the deadline.  After that, anyone that cares will be online with another platform.  What does it tell you that several of a Nintendo website's staff are playing online with Xbox Live JUST to get their online gaming fix?  Nintendo is quickly letting this boat pass them by.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2003, 11:05:38 AM »
has nintendo not gotten the tools to make the cube online to 3rd paties yet??? if i knew that a week ago i wouldnt have ordered a broadband adapter. i am expecting to use at least 5 games online for my cube, but i agree with rick. if they dont announce anything by e3 i doubt there will be much online for the cube at all. its not that big of a deal to me anyways, but its still a nice bonus. especially mario kart online. i could play all my buddies off at different colleges and what not.  

Thomas Paine

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2003, 08:56:38 PM »
3rd parties should have tools to create online titles by now. I read somewhere that Nintendo was too slow with the tools and that is why last years games (Timesplitters 2 for lan, Tony Hawk online) didn't support the broadband adapter. Ghost Recon is a weird situation because the PS2 version isn't online. Maybe Microsoft paid for it or something.

I just noticed that F-Zero would be considered a Sega game. Since the PSO card game is probable their lan title, the odds are that F-Zero won't have lan gaming.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2003, 08:15:30 PM »
to me it would seem likely that fzero was online or at least supports lan play, because sega has worked on so many online games(even one for the cube). i will take either or and i will be dissapointed if the game isnt online.

Thomas Paine

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2003, 08:29:37 PM »
I serieiously doubt that F-Zero will have online, but Lan maybe another thing. Its just that I doubt Nintendo would allow Sega to host a Nintendo franchise on their servers and make money for themselves that way.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2003, 09:17:35 PM »

I doubt Nintendo would allow Sega to host a Nintendo franchise on their servers and make money for themselves that way.

Sega wouldn't be making any money because they wouldn't charge anything. Nintendo's online games will be like the PS2. The only games that require a monthly charge would be the MMORPGs like Final Fantasy and Everquest. The online games are peer to peer.  

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2003, 10:26:56 PM »
If they are hosted on Sega's seavers they could since they have to recop the maintainance and running fees for their servers. The free thing is for Nintendo's games on their eventual servers.

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2003, 08:10:15 AM »
How come everyone thinks that they understand the industry fully?

I know but when if it does become profitable is Nintendo going to be able to keep up with MS and Sony who are making sure to get a foothold in the online market? Sometimes you have to be willing to take a loss in the present to get some profits in the future. Nintendo not only is not making any online games themselves (or at least not announced any) but they're making it hard for third parties to make online Gamecube games as well. Besides most online games are connected point-to-point so there's not server maintenance like with an online RPG. Simple online multiplayer games like Mario Kart Online could easily be done without major server costs.

I wasn't aware that you have a better economic understanding of the industry than Nintendo itself Ian Sane.  I mean, they just work at Nintendo and get paid to analyze what is profitable... but I mean you... you're a fan, so that must make you more knowledgeable.  You did say one important thing, you said:

Sometimes you have to be willing to take a loss in the present to get some profits in the future.

Again though, do you not think that the Nintendo analysts thought about both long term and short term goals?  I mean, they aren't stupid.  They went to school, studied this for a minimum of 4 years.  I am in first year business and one of the first things you learn is that both the long-term and short-term markets must be analyzed.  If I am learning this in 1st year, I am almost positive it is reinforced in the remaining 3  years and would not be something that analysts at a company like Nintendo would overlook.

Nintendo's online games will be like the PS2.

Wow, I had NO IDEA that Mingesium was actually a Nintendo employee who decided that their online plan would be unveiled on the PGC forums.  Either that, or he just doesn't know what he is talking about because Nintendo hasn't announced what their online strategy.

The only games that require a monthly charge would be the MMORPGs like Final Fantasy and Everquest. The online games are peer to peer.

I had no idea that Phantasy Star Online supported thousands of players all playing in a persistant world at the same time.  My copy of the game must be broken because I have to pay my $8.95/mo but it just doesn't seem to have the amount of players that MMORPG's are known for.  

Sorry about some of the sarcasm, but I have a proposal.  With the introduction of the new forums why doesn't everyone stop pretending that they have their Masters in Business Administration or that they KNOW that Nintendo's strategy is going to be this or that.  

By the way, sorry for picking on you guys (Ian Sane and Mingesium) you guys are NOT the only people on these boards that do this, it was just your posts that made me fed up with this kind of behaviour.

[/Rant]
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2003, 09:18:57 AM »
"I wasn't aware that you have a better economic understanding of the industry than Nintendo itself Ian Sane. I mean, they just work at Nintendo and get paid to analyze what is profitable... but I mean you... you're a fan, so that must make you more knowledgeable."

Well I did know the N64 cartridge thing would bite them in the ass and I was only like 13 at the time so sometimes I'm more knowledgeable.

No I'm not a market analyst and I don't work in the industry so it is in general safe to assume Nintendo knows more than me.  But Nintendo is also stubborn as hell at the best of times and often refuses to change with the times.  Hell they don't even release demo discs even though Sony has proven that such a thing is worthwhile.  My problem isn't so much that Nintendo themselves doesn't appear to have any intentions of making online games but rather that they have no intentions of letting third parties do so as well.  Being a restrictive jerk with third parties has bitten them in the ass before so I think it's fair to assume that such actions may do so again.  It's one thing to say "we won't go online" and another to say "NO ONE will go online".  It makes no difference to Nintendo if third parties crash and burn with their online ventures.  Therefore throwing away a foothold in the online market when they don't even have to take a risk themselves doesn't make sense.  I don't have to be a market analyst to know that.

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2003, 12:53:50 PM »
Nintendo hasn't changed much in the 20 or more years they have been in gaming because they always have had one person in charge of all of the decisions. And the company usally reflects the overall attitude of that man. Yamauchi  has just recently steped. So we are going to see a change in Nintendo's image. But we are not going to see an extreme turn around in a few months. Not to mention the man that has replaced him has less power that Yamauchi did, and now the major decisions are now in a handfull of people. We may see a change starting this E3.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2003, 01:26:37 PM »
Nintendo said

No royalties will be charged from developers and publishers for utilizing online capabilities of the console.

So they aren't going to create a XBox live type service. All the cost for an online game would be on the publisher. They might change their mind, but I don't see Nintendo spending all that money on an online service.

PSO is still a MMORPG just a very limited one. Games like racing or shooters would not require a monthly fee since it would be peer to peer.

So unless Nintendo changes its mind and creates a close network, GameCube's online plans should be similiar to PS2