Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Lite and Future Revisions  (Read 97416 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Nintendo Switch Revision
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2019, 02:46:57 AM »

This is almost a perfect controller.  I would like a D-pad instead of red button.  I would also rotate the new green button and all the buttons around and to the right.  Also Nintendo should bring back the analog buttons and the click.  I loved the Gamecube Controller so much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2019, 03:39:55 AM »
I think a perfect controller would be the gamecube controller with 2 shoulder buttons instead of one.

Also a home button. I don't care about a share button. Clickable joysticks are a must too. I never use them in games for much, but why not have the extra?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2019, 08:22:07 AM »
The Gamecube controller worked surprisingly well as a racing game controller with the analog shoulder buttons.  It also worked well to help differentiate the other shoulder/Z button.  I think a modified Z Buttons ZL and ZR would be good if they can get them in a more comfortable location.  I can understand the desire to have clickable analog sticks but I never found those useful.  I always thought they added a complexity that isn't really needed in a controller. 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2019, 09:17:22 AM »
The d-pad could be bigger too. That GC controller was always just a few minor tweaks from perfection.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2019, 12:20:29 PM »
an xbox 360/xbox one controller with Gamecube shoulders could be good.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2019, 07:41:35 PM »
To me the Gamecube Controllers brilliance was the feeling of the buttons.  You had a natural button to rest your finger on, and each button felt different that helped the brain train your hand to play games faster.  This sounds like a little thing, but it was brilliant and very Nintendo.  So much so, that when the Wii U was thinking about being released I thought Nintendo should have released the that button design for its new Wii-mote design.  I still do.  If the Wii U would have had the buttons on the side with camera sensor with an A button and Bean designed buttons around it, it would have been awesome. 

I still want Nintendo to go back to a Wiimote controller in the future.  I believe the Gamecube and Wiimote were Nintendo's best controllers but had minor flaws in the design. 

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2019, 05:51:13 PM »
What impressed me the most about the Gamecube controller was how ergonomic it was.  The first time I held it it felt like they had made it specifically for my hands.  Never had any soreness using it, unless I was trying to use the tiny d-pad.  It's very odd that they then went with the Wiimote's boxy design and then became obsessed with us holding it like an NES controller.  Over a mere single generation they go from ergonomics being the priority to not mattering at all.  Where did this NES controller worship come from?

What I have noticed over the decades though is that while you can try new takes on controllers, the SNES/Dualshock design has become the de facto standard so if you stray from it you're making 1000s of games play kind of crappy on your platform.  That design isn't perfect but it's what's used by the most games and thus is the most accommodating of different genres and styles.  So for me the ideal Nintendo controller is something like the Wii Classic Controller Pro.  As great as the Cube controller is, fighting games and 2D games suck on it.  Nothing really sucks on the SNES/Dualshock layout unless it has very specialized controls like a motion control or lightgun game.  And that controller design is essentially Nintendo's design iterated by Sony so it's not like Nintendo themselves don't have a big role in defining the standard.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2019, 06:08:24 PM »
I recall seeing that prototype of the GameCube controller, and thought the layout for the four buttons was a little better than the final. The B button is a little too small, and should have been a bean like the X and Y. If they did that, made the C-stick the same kind of stick as the left stick, and added a fourth shoulder button, it would be the perfect controller for me.

It's interesting how every system released after the GameCube was still compatible with its controller (albeit with Wii U it was just one game). I guess someone at Nintendo still really likes that thing. I'm glad I can still use it for Switch.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2019, 09:37:48 PM »
It is interesting.  The Gamecube Controller seems to be a gold standard controller at Nintendo.  Yet, something tells me it was an expensive controller to make.  Almost everything was specially designed and probably more expensive than simple buttons.  Every piece of the controller was unique.  2 differently designed analog sticks.  2 differently designed bean shaped buttons.  2 differently sized buttons. 

It was extremely custom.  But brilliantly put together and thought out.  It's design influenced how games were designed And just like the Nintendo 64 controller, some games can't be played the way they were originally designed without the controller. 

Nintendo really should make a Nintendo Pro Controller wireless, with motion controls and all the modern support with the design of a Gamecube controller.  Slight modifications would be great, like Mop it up suggested. 

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2019, 09:48:46 PM »
Interesting note about the Gamecube controller: Apparently it is support in the new Trials game, to give analog trigger controls on the gas pedal.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2019, 09:53:19 PM »
It is interesting.  The Gamecube Controller seems to be a gold standard controller at Nintendo.  Yet, something tells me it was an expensive controller to make.  Almost everything was specially designed and probably more expensive than simple buttons.  Every piece of the controller was unique.  2 differently designed analog sticks.  2 differently designed bean shaped buttons.  2 differently sized buttons. 

It was extremely custom.  But brilliantly put together and thought out.  It's design influenced how games were designed And just like the Nintendo 64 controller, some games can't be played the way they were originally designed without the controller. 

Nintendo really should make a Nintendo Pro Controller wireless, with motion controls and all the modern support with the design of a Gamecube controller.  Slight modifications would be great, like Mop it up suggested. 

Didn't they cut cost by using the GBA D-pad? It was weird that everything was built for the controller except that one piece, and it remains one of the biggest strikes against it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2019, 12:15:32 AM »
It was the same d-pad as the GBA, but few games used 2d controls on Gamecube. It was great for taunts, casting spells, and secondary features.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2019, 12:17:54 AM »
Maybe they had to cut prices somewhere?  Yes, but I think you are right.  I looked up the Prototype, and it was overall the same controller, with just even better build quality.  I would not be surprised if the final design of the smaller B button was chosen to save costs. 

It is really crazy that people (like us) are still talking about the controller, because back in the day I remember the debates being positive and negative.  I remember people slamming Nintendo for designing a controller again that only fits Nintendo's needs and not 3rd parties.  A controller that will be horrible for several genres of games.  Then I remember those praising the controller as the best controller designed and would undoubted change the future on controllers. 

It is surprising, that Nintendo went such a drastically different direction with the Wii.  The Wii Classic Controller was only designed to really play Virtual console games, but I think they could have made a Nintendo Pro Controller that generation that was the Gamecube Controller.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2019, 04:07:59 PM »
I never had any trouble playing any game with the GameCube controller. Is that weird?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2019, 04:38:04 PM »
The gamecube controller was great. Except there were two times where my hands went weird. One time while playing Cubivore they cramped up like crazy. While playing Resident Evil 4 they went numb.

Other than that no problems.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2019, 07:27:54 PM »
Didn't they cut cost by using the GBA D-pad? It was weird that everything was built for the controller except that one piece, and it remains one of the biggest strikes against it.

What's annoying about this is that Nintendo released the GBA SP and it had a different d-pad.  So the cost benefit of using one very small d-pad for both the Gamecube and GBA was lost after only a few years.

I really wonder why they ditched the bean button for B.  It never looked right after that and somewhat loses the whole point of the button layout.  It's also strange that the C-stick is different than the main analog stick as that would require two different molds and would theoretically be more expensive than using one stick design for both.  So they're cutting costs on the d-pad while inflating costs on the analog sticks?  Huh?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2019, 01:36:03 AM »
I can't imagine there was really any actual cost benefit for using the GBA d-pad, it was probably just done to make the controller symmetrical.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2019, 02:01:02 AM »
these mockups

popped up on reddit

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2019, 04:53:54 AM »
I love the mock ups, except that if you are going to make the controllers not detachable, then you should actually change the problems with the layout of the controllers.  Form factor for the Switch buttons and controller layout has always been a problem, and I hope they address that.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2019, 05:20:08 AM »
I like the idea of having circle pads on a small Switch. But the way they are aligned in that mockup looks like it would be super uncomfortable to hold.

What I want is a New 3DS XL sixed device, but just the bottom half. Move the ABXY buttons down a bit to fit in another circle pad instead of the C-Stick. You now have the perfect small portable Switch

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2019, 10:45:45 AM »
The mock up is a little PSVita-ish.  And I would've liked to see something that would still fit in the existing dock.  Both of those seem like the buttons/stick/circlepad would get in the way (and the port on the lower one).

I think they look good though, and colors are a must.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2019, 02:22:27 PM »
Having the budget model not have detachable joycons fits the rumour about it not having HD rumble.  Obviously if they're built-in you can't just connect existing rumble joycons.

Does the budget model dock or is it strict a handheld?  Can you connect other controllers to it?  Lots of questions about such a design.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2019, 03:38:00 PM »
Having the budget model not have detachable joycons fits the rumour about it not having HD rumble.  Obviously if they're built-in you can't just connect existing rumble joycons.

Does the budget model dock or is it strict a handheld?  Can you connect other controllers to it?  Lots of questions about such a design.

I feel like the smart business move is make it dockable, but don't include a dock with it.  Helps keep the sticker price lower on an entry model but then you can upsell kids/parents on a dock and a separate controller later once they realize they want a way to play on the tv somehow, too.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2019, 03:49:44 PM »
I'm curious about this bubbling up of news only because my wife has expressed interest in getting a switch of her own once Animal Crossing comes out.  It'll literally be just an Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley machine for her.  It'll sort of determine whether or not we get her a lite or we get the upgrade one and she uses the old one as her dedicated device. 

...if they have an Animal Crossing branded little one, then it'll be a no brainer for her.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2019, 03:56:20 PM »
It's hard to say. If they go with the x2 or Xavier processor they can do more processing at lower power. This works for both a mini and a pro. A mini would have the power of an OG Switch without the need to dock. A pro would have even more power.

A mini might just have an HDMI port.  A pro might become somewhere between Xbox One/ps4  and pro/x powered when docked. You'd still be able to Switch.

Also, interesting how nVidia treats this. PS3 had nVidia chips and it was a sluggish seller initially. Switch is selling like gangbusters. They might give some sweetheart chip deals to Nintendo over the next few years.
Maybe they'll call it Switch NX2.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:07:53 PM by ThePerm »