Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3140981 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #1175 on: January 21, 2009, 02:29:42 PM »
Skip Trace Memory and go straight for Hotel Dusk.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: January 21, 2009, 03:37:33 PM »
Skip Trace Memory and go straight for Hotel Dusk.

No...ESPECIALLY if you are interested in the Wii sequel...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: January 22, 2009, 01:56:07 AM »
Spanish Nintendo magazine “Nintendo Acción” (Nintendo Action) has said they will reveal a new game in the next issue. The picture that was given as the hint is the one above. They say, in the scan, that the game will be two great figures coming together once more.

The obvious? Sonic and Mario. So we solved the mystery, do we get prize bubbles now?

Rough translation: “Who are these two and why do they come to see each other? Find out all the details on the mystery game in the next magazine. But before that, here are some clues: Games, Olympics, Cold, Its winter…”
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: January 22, 2009, 02:00:55 AM »
That isn't a mystery at all. You can piece that together using words from the article:
Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics.

I almost hope it isn't true...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: January 22, 2009, 02:05:34 AM »
Actually, Winter Olympics is much better suited to take advantage of the Wii. Hopefully, seeing the success of the original, Miyamoto will have some sort of involvement.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1180 on: January 22, 2009, 02:31:45 AM »
Yes, the original game was a rock solid and fun title.

Winter Olympics does make sense. In fact, I see Sega using the balance for the skiing and snowboarding events. Again, it makes sense.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: January 22, 2009, 02:53:52 AM »
It seems a bit early to reveal that game though. Aren't the winter Olympics almost two years away?

If it is true, I just hope they include Toad and Birdo this time around. Otherwise I'll probably be passing on this sequel as I did the original.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: January 22, 2009, 05:59:25 AM »
I wonder if they'll take the logical next step and add Mario & Sonic in California Games... (olympics titles were pretty popular on the C64, California Games was apparently the best of them)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: January 22, 2009, 11:54:09 AM »
It seems a bit early to reveal that game though. Aren't the winter Olympics almost two years away?

Just over a year from now...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: January 22, 2009, 01:07:04 PM »
If Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics lets me play Curling as Waluigi I'm going to preorder it next time I go to GameStop.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: January 22, 2009, 02:00:06 PM »
They would hsve to release the game some time before the Olympics just like before.
They gotta get as many sales as possible from the hype of the game itself, and then get a second boost riding on the wind of the actual Olympics.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1186 on: January 22, 2009, 02:04:29 PM »
Yep that helped with the sales of the first one B&M.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1187 on: January 22, 2009, 02:10:18 PM »
Hmmm...I wonder if the hype will be there for the game?

The first game had a lot of hype mainly because it was the first time Mario and Sonic appeared in the same game together. But now that both it and Brawl and out the idea of Mario and Sonic together is not so surreal.

...Then again, the game had great word of mouth, one that propelled it to great sales even after the hype died. So who knows...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: January 22, 2009, 05:24:55 PM »
Guys... I don't know about you, but I think the Mario-Sonic teaming up was way too long in coming for it to just be limited to Olympic games. I never played Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, but while I'm sure it is great for what it is, its not the sort of Mario & Sonic game that SHOULD be made. I'm thinking something along the lines of an RPG, ala Super Mario RPG where Square and Nintendo worked together on that. It was one of the greatest games of all time. So I'm sure a Mario-Sonic RPG would also kick some serious ass.

Or maybe they could team up in one of their traditional platform genre games? I imagine a game where sometimes you need Mario's jumping abilities and sometimes you need Sonic's speed, and the two of them have to work together to overcome obstacles or to battle foes. Maybe they could also have Luigi and other sidekicks come along as well? But this is something I would like to see.

Mario & Sonic as an Olympics game was great the first time around, but for God's sake let the next Mario & Sonic game be something different...
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: January 22, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »
I was thinking the same thing when I read the Winter Olympics rumor. It'd undoubtedly have to be developed by Nintendo or a team Miyamoto hand picks since Sonic Team is all "Meh, Sonic." Here's the main issue though...

Sonic: FAST!!!!!11
Mario: Not as fast.

How do you design a crossover game with 2 completely different characters without designating specific Mario-only or Sonic-only levels? It not as simple as something like Super Mario Bros. 2. You can speed Mario up but there needs to be some balance. Maybe he gets tired or if you're Sonic you can run too fast and leave Mario behind but he's gone for the rest of the level. At the same time, Sonic can't jump as high or far as Mario. For this game to work, players have to enjoy playing as each equally as much and the levels need to play on each character's strengths and weaknesses. I can just imagine both characters running through levels together similar to Sonic and Tails or DK and Diddy and they could switch on the fly or perform team up moves.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: January 22, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »
DS game, Sonic levels on the top screen and Mario on the bottom. Sonic has to run through a loop de loop, mario jumps a pit.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: January 22, 2009, 09:17:29 PM »
I suppose the original Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games was released about nine months before the summer Olympics, so maybe this winter Olympics one will be released over the summer if the rumours are true. Need a break from the heat of summers? Think cold thoughts and participate in winters sports!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: January 22, 2009, 09:23:10 PM »
I never played Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, but while I'm sure it is great for what it is, its not the sort of Mario & Sonic game that SHOULD be made. I'm thinking something along the lines of an RPG, ala Super Mario RPG where Square and Nintendo worked together on that.
Completely disagree, an RPG would be boring and go against the main theme Mario and Sonic share which is fun gameplay, which Masatog delivers in spades.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: January 22, 2009, 10:09:35 PM »
I'd think that the Winter Olympics would be more fun anyways to begin with.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1194 on: January 22, 2009, 10:11:26 PM »
Balance Board Ski & Zap

Downhill Duckhunt

The House of the Snow

Grand Theft Bobsled
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 23, 2009, 03:13:51 AM »
How do you design a crossover game with 2 completely different characters without designating specific Mario-only or Sonic-only levels?

I'm sure they could think of something. Maybe you can only play one of them at a time, but then you can tag the other one whenever you want to switch to them? Remember when Nintendo Introduced Yoshi? Yoshi wasn't a character you began the game with or always had, but iirc, you would hit a block and he would grow out of an egg (I could be wrong, because its been awhile since i played it). But anyway, my point is maybe there could Mario or Sonic blocks which you could hit to switch to the other character.... and maybe even Luigi, Peach, Knuckles, etc. blocks as well...

Alternatively, they could have the characters lug around a briefcase or something and then shove the other character inside when not in use. Or Mario could hide Sonic inside of his hat, or Sonic could wrap himself around Mario whenever he curls up... *shrug* I don't know, but if Miyamoto was behind it you could be sure he could think of some way to make it work.

I also think it would be cool if they each gained different abilities when they have the other partner in their shadow. For example, if Mario had Sonic hidden in his hat that could give him spikes that would allow him to kill enemies or stick to ceilings or something; and if Mario was wrapped up inside Sonic that could give Sonic the ability to jump in addition to the speed. And if they throw in other characters then they could add their abilities to the table as well, such as Peach's ability to float, and etc.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:18:08 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 23, 2009, 05:52:54 AM »
Doesn't Sega already regularly use multiple characters in the Sonic games? Didn't people get angry over it?

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 23, 2009, 08:22:44 AM »
Alternatively, they could have the characters lug around a briefcase or something and then shove the other character inside when not in use.

lol didn't Killer 7 already do this?
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1198 on: January 23, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »
I would love for Nintendo to ask Sega if they could develop a Mario and Sonic crossover platform game...and then Nintendo puts a premiere development team on it and creates the BEST 3D sonic game with a great sense of speed, camera angle and the game feels like sonic.

That too me would be the ultimate Nintendo does what Sega...don't? 

Which is why Sega would never allow that to happen.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 23, 2009, 12:39:41 PM »
I would love for Nintendo to ask Sega if they could develop a Mario and Sonic crossover platform game...and then Nintendo puts a premiere development team on it and creates the BEST 3D sonic game with a great sense of speed, camera angle and the game feels like sonic.

That too me would be the ultimate Nintendo does what Sega...don't? 

Which is why Sega would never allow that to happen.

Well Nintendo already showed that they could in Mario Galaxy.  The parts where you become Rainbow Mario have Mario moving quite fast and when he jumps he does a summersault similar to Sonic.  Not to mention did it all with an amazing camera system as well.

If Nintendo were to have a Mario and Sonic crossover, I'd imagine Sonic would control just like Rainbow Mario, except faster.  Which would make him Rainbow Luigi then.  ;D

This is why a Nintendo Mario and Sonic game developed by Tokyo EAD would work out great.  Mario could remain the same as he is in Mario Galaxy, while Sonic would play like the Rainbow powerups, except with different moves to seperate the characters.  This way they'd be able to play the same levels, except their different moves would allow them to reach different area's in the level.  It would end up similar to Sonic 3 where Tails and Knuckles can both access area's that Sonic can't.

And since it'd be developed by Tokyo EAD, you know they'd be able to design each level in a way so that they take advantage of both characters strengths and weaknesses.  In other words, you'll have fun playing through the game as both Mario and Sonic.

Of course, the only people allowed to develop this game are Tokyo EAD and ONLY Tokyo EAD.  Iwata should give an order to security that any Sega or Sonic Team members that come anywhere within 500 feet of the studio are to be shot at sight, no questions asked.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai