Author Topic: Metroid Dread  (Read 32407 times)

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Metroid Dread
« on: May 18, 2005, 08:08:18 PM »
I saw this game listed on gameinformer.com and couple of other sites too. How come it wasnt mentioned? The page for it on GI is down right now btw.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Dread
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 10:11:44 PM »
Disappointingly, Metroid Dread was a no-show.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 03:25:25 PM »
Metroid Hunters this Summer, Metroid Pinball Q4...Dread for next fall? They said the series director (of 2d Metroid adventures) was busy thinking of cool gameplay ideas for the DS hardware...

Fair enough. Wonder if they'll preserve the full sprite look if it, or incorporate polygons into the level and Samus designs...I'm sure it will look tremendously smooth tho, one of the DS' great strengths thus far.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 03:13:26 AM »
Kind of off topic, but was this the only game not shown that was in the infamous GI article?

Sadly this was the game off that list I wanted to see the most. Wasn't it listed for the GBA anyway, that would kind of negate the idea of the director looking at the DS hardware.

*EDIT: OK, just checked and there was another game that didn't show Nintendo Tetris. Kind of funny considering that was another game I was looking foward to seeing. Yes I like Tetris that much. Also I was wrong about Dread being for the GBA, it is listed for DS.*
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 05:54:43 AM »
Personally it sounds like someone (1up?) has the exclusive on the game...Perhaps the same is for Ninty Tetris as well...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 11:09:16 AM »
Dread is not far enough in development to be shown...the director and his team are currently still in the planning and idea phase...besides, theres got to be something for next E3, right?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Dread
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 01:28:09 PM »
1up is reporting that Metroid Dread may have been cancelled.  If true, this really sucks.  If not, 1up really sucks.  1up sucks regardless

Sub-topic:  Is it better to create a new thread for something like this, or to dredge up a topic from six months ago?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 02:49:19 PM »
I like how Metroid Dread was never even officially announced by Nintendo...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 05:50:35 AM »
Yeah, i just thought that MD was a rumor that never went anywhere
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 07:36:05 AM »
I just hope that there are still plans to release another 2D Metroid.
We NEED another 2D Metroid.
There just has to be some kind of plan for it, right?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mr Bloober

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 08:05:47 PM »

In the latest Podcast from IGN.com, Nintendo DS editor Craig Harris was asked about the status of Metroid Dread. He responded saying that the game was too early to show previously [at E3 2005] and that it could be shown this year.

That's from trusty ol' N-Sider.

I just thought I'd post this tid bit, as I didn't see it anywhere else, and it is certainly welcome news. I myself am hoping for a 2-D with 3-D graphics game.  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 08:10:57 PM »
Mario, Zelda and Metroid too? Wow..

I remember Craig saying before also that it was still in development when there were rumours that it was cancelled.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 08:49:26 PM »
That would be phenomenal. Screw these non-Metroid Metroid games! I don't care if both the pinball and FPS versions of Metroid are fun, I WANT REAL METROID! I want another 2D Metroid game that has effecient controls like Fusion/Zero Mission (does everything Super Metroid does with less buttons) and I want the scope/size of Super Metroid and I don't want my hand held throughout the game like Fusion and Zero Mission did and how Super Metroid DIDN'T. Screw you Adam! Screw you Chozo Statues! AND, I want it to be a true sequel. Metroid 5. Enough of this "inbetween Metroid 1 and 2" garbage.

And that, my friends, is how you make the best game ever.    

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 04:33:52 AM »
Its good to hear that the game might be actually, you know, real. I bought recently Zero Mission and Im having a blast with it, and Im all for a new 2D metroid, but I personally love the cube Metroid games, and Im sad that the iteration of prime for the DS was a multiplayer spinoff, because we might never see a 3D real metroid game for the DS, and is a shame because the DS offers such incredible controls for first person perspective.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 06:11:05 AM »
"I myself am hoping for a 2-D with 3-D graphics game."

NO!  Damn it! I HATE the way that looks.  Worst of both worlds.

Anyway I'm happy this game hasn't been canned.  2D Metroid is one of the greatest game "formulas" in existance and I wouldn't want it to die just yet.  There's something about 2D Metroid that just feels right and even Castlevania can't quite recreate it.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 07:15:27 AM »
"I myself am hoping for a 2-D with 3-D graphics game."

"NO! Damn it! I HATE the way that looks. Worst of both worlds."

It looks good when it's done correctly and it offers much more versatility for the game's graphics.  New Super Mario Bros in it's current state looks phenominal.  I see no reason why something like Metroid Dread can't go the same route.  

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 07:16:16 AM »
Are 3-D games with 2-D graphics the best of both worlds? Hello Doom and Duke Nukem.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 07:36:42 AM »
I imagine the game will be in sprites, if they've already made a fully 3D game for the system.
I have no huge preference, but I think I'd like to see it in sprites.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 08:34:11 AM »
ala Super Metroid Style, only on super doses on SUPER Steroids
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 09:57:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
2D Metroid is one of the greatest game "formulas" in existance and I wouldn't want it to die just yet.  There's something about 2D Metroid that just feels right and even Castlevania can't quite recreate it.

Amen!  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 09:30:42 PM »
Sprites are usually more precise than 3d models because sprites never exceed the bounding box. With Metroid's walljumps you will need that precision.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 04:25:02 AM »
it could be a mix of 3D and 2D like mischief makers, the game pulled it fine in my opinion.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 07:48:08 AM »
Mischief Makers.  What a brilliant game.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 10:17:09 AM »
I can't wait for the virtual console to play Mischief Makers again.

"SHAKE, SHAKE!!!"

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 08:00:21 PM »
About another Metroid in 2D...
I think Metroid in 2d reached it's limit in Super Metroid.  Fusion was good, but it's no Super.
I hope Metroid 5 has a good story, something Nintendo isn't very good at.

It's weird both Metroid(Ending of Fusion) and Zelda(ending of Wind Waker) are at a crossroads in terms of story.  Will Nintendo use these opportunities to go in a new direction?
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077