Author Topic: I ARE STUPID  (Read 13476 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: I ARE STUPID
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2013, 08:17:19 PM »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
I think technology in the classroom is used too often to substitute decent teaching, rather than enhancing the interaction between student and teacher. 

I remember too many times in college where professors would literally read their Powerpoint slides word-for-word instead of using them as an additional supplementary device to enhance what they were trying to teach. 

I remember reading articles about schools that would give a computer to every student, and after the instant "how awesome" appeal wore off, I thought of my education experience with technology, and think "if my professors failed to use something as simple as Powerpoint effectively, then how the hell will grade school teachers not use computers for every student the same way some parents use TV as a babysitter?".

Now this I agree with. The issue is how to use the tech. You can, and I have made great lessons that incorporate technology in good ways, but you can't just, as you said, use the tech as a substitute for teaching. You have to incorporate it into traditional lessons and use it as a tool. Not every teacher is good at this, but based on my experiences today's university students in the education field are getting a lot of experience and training to that effect.

To be fair, I had teachers in school that would write stuff on the chalkboard or use the old-fashioned over-head projectors (that you used transparency sheets on) and simply read their notes that the wrote earlier that same day.  Heck, I had teachers that would simply read out of the textbook (or have us take turns doing it).

It's not a technological thing.  It's a poor teaching method used by poor teachers.

The technology is a tool, one that can be used in various ways by teachers and students in the learning process. It's a means, not an end. You can do great things with the tech, or you can use it as a babysitter. When there are problems, they usually aren't caused by the technology.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 09:20:11 PM »
I think technology in the classroom is used too often to substitute decent teaching, rather than enhancing the interaction between student and teacher. 

I remember too many times in college where professors would literally read their Powerpoint slides word-for-word instead of using them as an additional supplementary device to enhance what they were trying to teach. 

I remember reading articles about schools that would give a computer to every student, and after the instant "how awesome" appeal wore off, I thought of my education experience with technology, and think "if my professors failed to use something as simple as Powerpoint effectively, then how the hell will grade school teachers not use computers for every student the same way some parents use TV as a babysitter?".

Now this I agree with. The issue is how to use the tech. You can, and I have made great lessons that incorporate technology in good ways, but you can't just, as you said, use the tech as a substitute for teaching. You have to incorporate it into traditional lessons and use it as a tool. Not every teacher is good at this, but based on my experiences today's university students in the education field are getting a lot of experience and training to that effect.

To be fair, I had teachers in school that would write stuff on the chalkboard or use the old-fashioned over-head projectors (that you used transparency sheets on) and simply read their notes that the wrote earlier that same day.  Heck, I had teachers that would simply read out of the textbook (or have us take turns doing it).

It's not a technological thing.  It's a poor teaching method used by poor teachers.

Fair enough.  Technology just enables the lazy and unmotivated to be even more lazy and unmotivated.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2013, 09:58:35 PM »
not necessarily; sometimes I feel unmotivated to do something such as play video games and decide my time is better spend reading random articles on wikipedia or such, and usually those articles motivate me to read other articles. It's not long until I have like 10 tabs open and I'm jumping back and forth between topics...

like some sort of retarded Johnny 5... so I'm a strange hybrid of lazy/active un/motivated..
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2013, 11:13:32 PM »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »
The answer is belts. Belts raise kids.

Come on now! Belts can't be the end all answer. You need a good switch off the tree too!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2013, 11:52:49 PM »
a large wooden spoon also works in a pinch.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2013, 12:03:24 AM »
In my line of work those kinds of things are frowned upon, but they do teach us some nifty tricks that are just as effective.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2013, 12:11:40 AM »
"Jesus is the answer to everything!!"

Sad thing about that joke is where i live the public schools are mediocre at best while the catholic high school is locally known for its challenging curriculum and high standards. Where did we go wrong

Also im using a touch keyboard on a webfourm that is questionably suited to my phone, pardon my grammar

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2013, 12:20:01 AM »
It helps that Catholic schools charge a TON of money to attend (one of the good catholic high schools in my city charge $8,150 a year for high school students to attend), so they can afford to have higher standards.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2013, 12:21:39 AM »

Sad thing about that joke is where i live the public schools are mediocre at best while the catholic high school is locally known for its challenging curriculum and high standards. Where did we go wrong

Also im using a touch keyboard on a webfourm that is questionably suited to my phone, pardon my grammar

The problem with public schools is that so much of it is left up to local districts, so the quality can vary wildly from place to place. I know around here there are a couple districts that are just awful, and others that are really good, not 5 minutes from each other.

Local school boards have a tremendous amount of power, which most people don't really realize until they see it used, and the vast majority of people never pay enough attention to get to that point.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2013, 12:25:51 AM »
It helps that Catholic schools charge a TON of money to attend (one of the good catholic high schools in my city charge $8,150 a year for high school students to attend), so they can afford to have higher standards.

That sounds pretty in-line with how much schools get per-student from state/federal budgets.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2013, 12:34:45 AM »
But catholic schools are often funded by the Catholic Church, so they get that funding as well (in addition to donations from alumni and fundraising).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2013, 12:58:42 AM »

The problem with public schools is that so much of it is left up to local districts, so the quality can vary wildly from place to place. I know around here there are a couple districts that are just awful, and others that are really good, not 5 minutes from each other.

Local school boards have a tremendous amount of power, which most people don't really realize until they see it used, and the vast majority of people never pay enough attention to get to that point.

We got Charter schools now!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2013, 12:59:33 AM »

That sounds pretty in-line with how much schools get per-student from state/federal budgets.

Considerably less, actually. Most districts around here are spending over $10,000 per student, though some of that is stuff like free lunches that aren't factored into the Catholic school figure.

But catholic schools are often funded by the Catholic Church, so they get that funding as well (in addition to donations from alumni and fundraising).

The things you just said are either largely untrue or fairly insignificant, or both.

We got Charter schools now!

Which bring with them a whole different set of problems.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2013, 01:12:22 AM »

The things you just said are either largely untrue or fairly insignificant, or both.

Actually they are very much true. In fact, a significantly large number of the Catholic schools in the US are owned by the local diocese and get funding from them. They also do various fundraisers to raise more money and often get donations from former students or members of the community. This is in addition to the large tuition fees they charge families. In the end, Catholic schools get far more money than public schools.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2013, 01:19:38 AM »
[Citation needed]
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2013, 01:30:49 AM »

Actually they are very much true. In fact, a significantly large number of the Catholic schools in the US are owned by the local diocese and get funding from them. They also do various fundraisers to raise more money and often get donations from former students or members of the community. This is in addition to the large tuition fees they charge families. In the end, Catholic schools get far more money than public schools.

Catholic schools are owned by dioceses, but they don't generally receive a significant amount of funding from them. If you were at all familiar with the way the Catholic Church works, you'd know that, by and large, money goes from the local parishes to the diocese, not the other way around. With donations, that varies wildly depending on the school, but in my experiences it's not a significant source of funding for the vast majority of schools. Also, public schools do fundraisers all the time. Enough to drive people nuts.

Public schools get more money than private schools, because they do things the private schools don't do, and don't want to do. Things like English as a second language programs and the many permutations of special education, which largely don't exist outside the realm of public schools, cost a lot of money

J.P. Corbran

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2013, 04:15:16 AM »
Public schools get more money than private schools, because they do things the private schools don't do, and don't want to do. Things like English as a second language programs and the many permutations of special education, which largely don't exist outside the realm of public schools, cost a lot of money

I accidentally read part of this thread and I don't believe this is necessarily true, especially in places with high income disparity

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2013, 10:55:24 AM »
a large wooden spoon also works in a pinch.

am I the only one here familiar with a chancleta?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2013, 12:18:46 PM »
Not with the shoe....

although, that's probably more readily available in almost every situation. especially in public.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2013, 12:04:39 AM »
You think high school is expensive...try my school. At least it has the best ROI in the state though...and Richard Hatch from Survivor went here.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2013, 11:29:50 AM »
I'm picturing a big bronze statue of him on the campus, like the one of Luis Guzman at Greendale on Community.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2013, 03:26:16 PM »
Tim Wakefield and a bunch of Astronauts and Generals went to my school as well, Hatch is small time.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA