Poll

Which WiiWare game should we play and discuss together on a future episode of Radio Free Nintendo?

FAST
8 (26.7%)
escapeVektor, Ch. 1
7 (23.3%)
MotoHeroz
15 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: April 12, 2012, 01:47:55 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #22 Poll: WiiWare Edition  (Read 16660 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RetroActive #22 Poll: WiiWare Edition
« on: April 01, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »
WiiWare is probably fading out in advance of the Wii U release (and whatever next-gen digital platform it carries), but several interesting games have been released on the shop over the last year or so.

FAST is a futuristic racing game from Shin'en Multimedia, notable for its difficulty, polished visuals, and sense of speed. It's available for 1000 Wii Points.
NWR Impressions: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/26346

escapeVektor, Ch. 1 is an action/puzzle game from Nnnnnnooooo. It's their first title since hitting the jackpot with the My Notebook series of DSiWare apps. It's available for 500 Wii Points.
NWR Review: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/27953

MotoHeroz is a vehicular 2D platformer from RedLynx, also known for the Trials series on PC and Xbox Live Arcade. This is a similar game with less realistic physics and more cartoony visuals. It's available for 1500 Wii Points.
NWR Review: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/27887

All of these games are available in North America and Europe.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:17:17 PM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #22 Poll: WiiWare Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:12:56 PM »
Actually, Nnooo's first game was the high-score shooting gallery Pop, a launch title for the WiiWare service.

I'd bank on MotoHeroz being the most interesting to discuss out of this trio, so I'll vote for that.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »
Thanks, OP corrected.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:21:17 PM »
It's a shame that so few people have played (or presumably ever will play) some of the good titles on WiiWare.  That goes for the platform in general but doubly so for games released over the past year or two.  I would've loved to see Fluidity as an option since many people missed that gem too.

MotoHeroz is one that I've been interested in, but the platform seems so dead that I never got around to buying more points to pick it up.  I'll put my vote there and figure this might be enough incentive to

escapeVektor also sounded interesting... isn't that getting a 3DS re-release though?  I've heard that the series is moving to portables.  If true, I'd rather buy it there.
NNID: ejamer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
I really couldn't care less what wins this poll. I didn't know any of these games existed before this poll, and I'm sure not interested in playing them now.  Picking a title at random, I guess I go with FAST.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 10:00:27 PM »
Fluidity was on our short-list, but we decided to drop it since the game has already been discussed a fair bit on RFN. I don't think any of us have played any of the final three nominees, unless you want to count the demo of escapeVektor that I played at E3 while drinking beers furnished by Nnnnnooooo. #tehbias
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 10:13:04 PM »
I chose escapeVektor just for the inevitable star wars reference. Screw it i'll just do it myself

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:08:47 PM by Lithium »

Offline RW

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 02:05:07 AM »
I say we should redo the options and include STRIDER!!

Thanks,
RW

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 06:17:30 AM »
Strider's not a WiiWare game, though.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 08:21:15 AM »
Fluidity was on our short-list, but we decided to drop it since the game has already been discussed a fair bit on RFN. I don't think any of us have played any of the final three nominees, unless you want to count the demo of escapeVektor that I played at E3 while drinking beers furnished by Nnnnnooooo. #tehbias

Fair enough. Fluidity has received more attention in general - including the Club Nintendo spotlight where people could exchange coins for the game.  It is a great game though. Still playing through on a casual basis and find myself consistently impressed with the level design and creative challenges they dropped into Fluidity.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »
I predict the cheapest game will win.

You'll see.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »
Interesting decision to use WiiWare as the source for the games.  I personally haven't had the most stellar experience with my WiiWare purchasing decisions, but am interested to hear what everyone else has to say about these games.

I don't believe I will participate in this one.  FAST intruiges me as a game similar to F-Zero, but based on the review it seems a bit bare-bones.

escapeVektor doesn't look like my cup of tea.  I have limited interest in puzzle games.

Voted for MotoHeroz, because while it seems like something that would be more suited as a web browser game, I don't believe I've heard the NWR crew discuss a game in the same category as this.

Regardless, look forward to the discussion!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »
escapeVektor is coming to the 3DS, so I have zero interest in playing the WiiWare version at this point.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 07:26:19 PM »
escapeVektor doesn't look like my cup of tea.  I have limited interest in puzzle games.
It's only a puzzle game as much as Pac-Man is a puzzle game.

All of these are good games in their own right, and some of the best on WiiWare and I'd recommend them all. MotoHeroz is probably the deepest experience.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 11:06:19 PM »
I own FAST, so I would comment on that game if it would win. 

I played the demo for MotoHeroz.  It seemed like a fun game, so I would maybe pick it up.  But it seems like a much more fun multiplayer game, which is a mode I would never play.

From what I've seen of escapeVektor I'm not that interested. 

Since I can't vote for 'not escapeVektor', I don't think I'll vote.  I'll just see what wins and decide then.

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 08:27:06 AM »
Wow. Shame on me. I've hardly heard of any of those. Think I'll play along with the guys this time.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 10:36:27 AM »
I'm shocked at the number of people who never heard of these games.

What the hell do you guys do with your Wiiiiiiiis?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »
Nothing, most likely.

I'm the Director of a Nintendo site and I've sparingly used it since early 2011. I missed all these on WiiWare because I just didn't really play my Wii when they came out.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »

Play games that were actually worthy of my time and money, which naturally meant ignoring WiiWare for the most part.  There's really no reason anyone should have heard of these games, given what a pitiful job Nintendo has done of conveying that information and making people want to check these games out.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:57:48 AM by broodwars »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »

Play games that were actually worthy of my time and money, which naturally meant ignoring WiiWare for the most part.  There's really no reason anyone should have heard of these games, given what a pitiful job Nintendo has done of conveying that information and making people want to check these games out.

You are conflating the issues.

People haven't heard of these games because Nintendo did a pitiful job of getting information out about them, or about WiiWare in general.

However, these games (and a nice handful of other WiiWare titles) are certainly worthy of your time and money. Suggesting that WiiWare should be ignored on the basis of a lack of quality software is silly.  "On noes! Wii has no gamez!"

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
However, these games (and a nice handful of other WiiWare titles) are certainly worthy of your time and money. Suggesting that WiiWare should be ignored on the basis of a lack of quality software is silly.  "On noes! Wii has no gamez!"

No, the Wii has games.  It's just that WiiWare is not the place to go for them outside that "handful of nice titles" (World of Goo, Bit.Trip series, etc.).  And when a service is 95% ****, I'm not going to waste my time keeping up with it, especially if even RFN doesn't care enough to talk about these games.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 01:40:46 PM »

No, the Wii has games.  It's just that WiiWare is not the place to go for them outside that "handful of nice titles" (World of Goo, Bit.Trip series, etc.).  And when a service is 95% ****, I'm not going to waste my time keeping up with it, especially if even RFN doesn't care enough to talk about these games.

Your loss then.

iOS is way more than 95% junk, both DS and Wii can't be far off, and I'd wager that PS2 probably hits the mark too.  Trying to pick out quality isn't always easy, but it's much easier with WiiWare where the total number of titles available is quite limited when compared to those other platforms.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
I have heard of all of these games and many more on wiiware that seem interesting. Just sayin. It is mostly a matter of limits to resourcing, both time and money. And I am also just about out of room on the SD card too.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »
And when a service is 95% ****, I'm not going to waste my time keeping up with it, especially if even RFN doesn't care enough to talk about these games.

But we do... that's why we're doing this RetroActive!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »
I really couldn't care less what wins this poll. I didn't know any of these games existed before this poll, and I'm sure not interested in playing them now.  Picking a title at random, I guess I go with FAST.

Looks like broodwars is getting called out by a few folks so thought I would dive in too. I totally agree with brood here (except for the part about voting for FAST).
And isn't this a crazy situation!
We are all people who love Nintendo games so much that we listen to a weekly fan made pod cast and post stuff like this on a forum. AND STILL many of us have never heard of these games and don't care about WiiWare.

I was really disappointed that the RFN guys choice was WiiWare for this poll before I even knew what the games were. Why is that???
I guess the guys who have contributed to the discussion already have answered that for me:

Bad marketing, bad games & bad marketing of bad games.

Man I hope Nintendo have learned something to apply to WiiUWare, or whatever they call it. As for me I will sit this Retro Active out because I'm almost exclusively a handheld gamer these days. But maybe I'll try the winner when WiiU hits town.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:09:02 AM by Hey Einstein! »