Author Topic: The "On All the Time" Computer  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
The "On All the Time" Computer
« on: January 15, 2007, 01:15:50 PM »
So first the background.

I have my computer which stays on 24/7, and it's always bugged me that I spend roughly $9 - $10 every month to power the sucker to do just that.  Well new year resolution: finally get myself a machine that doesn't suck 100+ watts non-stop.  The problem that I have is that it's a major PITA to figure out what prebuilt computers draw in terms of power (and building your own isn't any easier to calculate).  On top of that, most current computers draw crazy amounts of power.  Sure they're more efficent at going to sleep now, even desktops, but that doesn't help me.

The best option I've run across is the Mac Mini which only looks to draw 20 watts under normal operation.  I measured that in store using a kill-o-watt meter.  Personally it seems like an amazing feat of engineering.  So do I have to really go out now and buy a Mac, or has anyone here run into any low power computing?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: The "On All the Time" Computer
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 02:01:57 PM »
When I was building my computer, I used this to calculate what PSU I would need to power the thing.  I honestly have no idea how accurate it is, but it worked for me >_>

It many be tough to find the information you need for this calculator is you're buying pre-built, but it's the best way to get a rough estimate of what kind of power your computer may be drawing.

20 watts?  holy ****
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 12:42:18 PM »
The Mini is still spec'ed for 20 watts even with the Intel chip?  Not bad...

Dumb question... Does it really need to be on 24/7?

The next best thing is a laptop. Energy efficient setups are pretty darn few and far between.
"wow."

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
RE:The "On All the Time" Computer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 01:48:23 PM »

The Mini is still spec'ed for 20 watts even with the Intel chip?  Not bad...

This was the single core Mac Mini... I'd like to go back and try the Core 2 Duo that's now standard issue.  It shouldn't be too different.  I'll post my findings.

Dumb question... Does it really need to be on 24/7?

Not that dumb.  I get it all the time.  I like being able to actually log into my machine from anywhere, have access to all my files, etc.  On top of that, it serves as a small webserver for family pictures, and as a repository for my mail and cvs.  Wake on LAN never worked for me, so 24/7 is what it is...

The next best thing is a laptop. Energy efficient setups are pretty darn few and far between.

Your not kidding on the far and few between.  Laptops are something I have considered as they double as having a nice UPS and KVM built right in.

Offline mottsc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 03:23:54 PM »

Your not kidding on the far and few between.  Laptops are something I have considered as they double as having a nice UPS and KVM built right in.

I use a laptop as a 24/7 server for just that reason. Low power usage and built in UPS. Then I have a small UPS that runs the DSL and router. It can last about three hours through a power failure without anyone knowing.  

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 07:35:21 PM »
When I was first reading the first post, I was just about to recommend the Mini.  It really is a great machine.  For clarification though, it does only come with a Core Duo chip, and not a Core 2 Duo chip.  But, at the same time, they are both great chips.  I ran a Core Duo for many months and was very pleased.  If you go the mini route, I'll doubt you'd be disappointed.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 01:47:11 PM »
Status Update.  I went to CompUSA and with the permission of the clerk, metered the one Mac Mini they had on display.

Meter: P3 Kill-o-Watt
Unit: Apple Mac Mini ($799.00)
# 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
# 512MB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x256
# 80GB Serial ATA drive
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# Intel GMA 950 graphics

Results:
- Boot = 33 W
- Idle = 20 W
 Aprox. Load
- 50% = 30 W
- 85% = 35 W
- 95% = 37 W

The load was generated by running the movie software and loading the sample project and playing the clip.  I also read out of urandom and wrote a quick script to busy cycle the cpu.  Not much in the means of disk activity.

Offline Mysticspike

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 01:57:42 PM »
what is this forum all about??
Someday, I will make my own Fantasy Factory to make all of my lifelong dreams come true...

Banana Productions<- Check out my Youtube channel.