Author Topic: DS launch games  (Read 11306 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: DS launch games
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2004, 12:14:50 AM »
The US doesn't get exactly converted prices... Okay, it did, before the dollar crashed, but now that it fell in value everything's cheaper in the US. I hope the DS and future consoles get the conversion ratio right so we Europeans don't have to pay higher amounts despite stronger currency.

Offline Blackknight131

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:DS launch games
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2004, 01:31:58 AM »
I am beginning to realize this after the revelation (for me) you brought up in a seperate thread.
It is a huge relief to me if the DS games wont go the way Sony seems to be taking the PSP, i.e. the $40-50 per game territory.

-Blackknight131

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2004, 07:23:20 AM »
Well.  We can't know for sure but we can highly speculate what games will be out during Launch.  Here is what I will predict:

Metroid Hunters:  released around the same time as the Gamecube game.  Having Metroid as your mature game would be smart for Nintendo.

Mario DS:  Nintendo must have a Mario game upon release.  It is essential.  

Wario Ware Inc:  Now that they have the demo running this game is easy to program and release quickly, and it can use all its features to create a multiplayer game to highlight the systems promises.

Nintendo Puzzle Collection:  Somebody else wrote about how this game hasn't been released in the US yet.  Rather simple games to translate into DS code and release.  Hook up basic multiplayer gameplay, and use the Microphone to chat to the people you play against would be great.  

ATLUS GAMES:

At least one game from Atlus will be out for Launch.  

EA Games:

Sims the Urbz, and probably a sports game.

Launch is really best time to get some games out and watch them sell.  People are excited when they buy a new system and will be more likely to buy additional games.  Meanwhile, the competition isn't as fierce either with launch games, because there are not as many.  So I expect many companies trying to get their games out ASAP.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2004, 04:06:49 PM »
I actually hope EA's sports game is not Madden at launch. Madden is their most important property, so it will be very telling how EA (as a large developer and publisher) approaches the DS as a platform with how they handle its version of Madden.
Will they actually take time to focus on all the awesome little things the DS can offer a football game, or just throw out a quikie....

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2004, 10:28:28 PM »
as long as metroid and mario 64 x4 if that happens DS will whip PSPs bulky arse

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2004, 03:26:24 AM »
Blacknight, we're in an age of gaming when (like sex and drug abuse) sports sell...and a Madden title at launch (especially during the holiday season) is essential.  Madden will sell systems, I can say that.  I think that EA would also do good to release their Need For Speed title that's planned for the DS at launch...idk...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2004, 05:10:00 AM »
EA can launch a simple DS Madden.  Have simple connectivity in it...possible chat with the Microphone, and use the touchscreen to choose plays quickly and call fast audibles.  Launch the game and make a quick buck.

Next year is when EA better release a really great Madden game, and the same with all other companies.

I will forgive any company besides Nintendo for making an average game for launch of the DS, as long as they really sink their teeth into the system for the coming year.  

Nintendo however better be spending the time and the effort to sell the DS as a true innovation and not a gimmick.  They better show the other developers how to use the touchscreen, the microphone, the connectivity everything...and perferably have a games at launch that use every feature, or at least one game using each feature well.

Next, if I was Nintendo I would be showing Capcom, Sega, and many other companies the system and throw as much support at you can to people with new and great ideas for the DS so there is less risk for such company to make the plunge.  

If Nintendo does this DS will succeed amazingly well.  Remember it is going to have a lead on PSP in the United States.  A couple of months exclusive new handheld on the market will do Nintendo great press if it has the games to back it.

Offline pikpik

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2004, 05:27:37 AM »
i disagree Spak-Spang i think a football title (fifa 2005) would sell better than madden
goomba was here

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2004, 05:37:39 AM »
pikpik:  

A FIFA game would sell better world wide, but it won't sell better in the US.  EA is primarily concerned with the United States launch which would buy a Madden game much faster than a FIFA game.  In fact the United States would buy a Basketball game before FIFA as well.  For some odd reason US doesn't like the football (soccer.)

I really don't care about sports games.  So I could careless what games are released.  

The only other game besides Madden I think EA could work on and make a great launch game is SSX Snowboarding.

Actually have a great idea for that game, that could be great fun.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2004, 08:14:34 AM »
Just the fact that Nintendo says that it has 100 companies on-board to make games for it guarantees that the DS will move lots of units.  That's PS2-level support, something that a Nintendo system other than the GBA hasn't had at launch since about 1991.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2004, 08:50:35 AM »
Silks:  True.  Developers and Publishers are more willing to take the risk because Nintendo has a proven track record in handheld games.  This is also the reason I think people will buy the DS over the PSP (Besides the fact that once the PSP is out DS will have an existing market share, and a nicer price tag.)

Though, I wonder how many of these games will be able to get out before launch.  I would predict that the code to design games is very very similar to that of the GBA so developing engines and such isn't too hard.  I hope that the 3D potential of the DS doesn't mean we will lose all the great 2D games that have been gracing the portable screen and not the home market.

If the DS can launch with 10-12 total games at launch with about 25 out by Christmas then I think it will be a success and have very good numbers at launch.  If the options are not there for buyers then I think people may wait and see.  Nintendo needs to get the money fast.  Any wait and see could lead to people deciding to go with Sony.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2004, 09:44:41 PM »
The DS' 3d capabilites are pretty limited, there's a real reason to make 2d games for it.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2004, 04:43:58 AM »
Even with limited 3D capabilities I see developers taking advantage to make quick ports of old 3D games to the system.

Nintendo already seems to be doing this with Super Mario 64*4.  Hopefully they will rename the game Super Mario DS and the game will have the entire Super Mario 64 portable, but also have the multiplayer functions with all the Mario 64 levels.  That would make the most killer launch game period.

Then the new 2D Mario Game could come out as Super Mario World 3 or Super Mario Brothers 4, and have a huge ad campaign about the franchise finally coming back to its roots.

We do finally have a list of what 3D party games are being worked on.  We should probably expect one of those games from each company around launch or just after.  

This is exciting because this system seems to be coming together nicely.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2004, 05:30:45 AM »
"Then the new 2D Mario Game could come out as Super Mario World 3 or Super Mario Brothers 4, and have a huge ad campaign about the franchise finally coming back to its roots."

It's roots as what?  A platformer (Sunshine)?  A 2D platformer (Mario Versus Donkey Kong)?
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2004, 08:49:35 AM »
Spak-Spang:  I don't really think it matters whether or not the bulk of the these games come out before launch, as long as the gaming public knows that they're coming out.  Nintendo is actually acting very Sony-ish here and doing a good job with the hype machine.  As soon as mainstream gamers see all the big-name third-party titles coming out for the DS vs. PSP they're bound to reconsider a PSP purchase.

The PSP will have Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Acid, but GT is a Sony franchise anyways and Metal Gear has been associated primarily with Sony for practically a decade.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see a DS Metal Gear at some point...since Hideo Kojima designed Boktai and there's already a DS Boktai game in development, Kojima is obviously going to be working with the system.  I'd love to see what he could come up with on the DS.

I dunno, but could gaming be entering another golden age?  I haven't really felt this optimistic about the industry since the early 90's.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2004, 09:14:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
Even with limited 3D capabilities I see developers taking advantage to make quick ports of old 3D games to the system.

Nintendo already seems to be doing this with Super Mario 64*4.  Hopefully they will rename the game Super Mario DS and the game will have the entire Super Mario 64 portable, but also have the multiplayer functions with all the Mario 64 levels.  That would make the most killer launch game period.

Then the new 2D Mario Game could come out as Super Mario World 3 or Super Mario Brothers 4, and have a huge ad campaign about the franchise finally coming back to its roots.

We do finally have a list of what 3D party games are being worked on.  We should probably expect one of those games from each company around launch or just after.  

This is exciting because this system seems to be coming together nicely.

Hmmm...if you're referring to "The NEW Super Mario Bros." that was shown at E3, it looks pretty 3 dimensional to me...if you're calling it 2D simply because it's a sidescroller, that can be misleading...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2004, 09:15:26 AM »
Meh Metal Gear Acid is turn based. Its practically a card game.  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2004, 02:03:53 PM »
Deguello:  What I meant was the original Super Mario design of being an action platformer.  Mario and Donkey Kong is a great tribute game to Donkey Kong.  But Super Mario was always about action and split second reaction time.  This new Mario looks to be a true sequel in that regards.  There is so much they can do with this too.  I would love to incorporate many of the Super Mario 64 moves into a 2D or 2 1/2D game.  I think the hype of this alone could bring much support for the new DS system.

Silks:  Oh I completely agree.  Nintendo needs to get the word out as quickly as possible about actual games coming out.  I look occassionally on the PSP sites to see what games are coming out.  Nothing interests me.  Nothing.  Now I read about the Nintendo DS, and even sequels to old franchises are exciting me, because I wonder what companies are going to do with the additional DS features.  Everyone is saying the touch screen is gimmicky and won't work.  But it doesn't have to be used with every game.  Its still an additional screen, and that shows plenty of new game options in and of itself.

kirby_killer_dedede:  Oh I am sorry.  Yes I know the models are being used are 3D.  Actually I am slightly disappointed in that, but still from what little Nintendo showed us, they seem to be obviously teasing us with a 2D Mario type game.  I am sure there is going to be some crazy gimmick gameplay with the new touch screen, dual screen aspect, but really if its a 2D or 21/2D sidescrolling Mario action game I will be happy, and many other gamers will be happy as well.

This year has turned out to be one of the most promising looks into video game history in while.

Silks was right, we are looking at a potential new golden age of gaming.  Finally 3D games are being made capably, and with amazing graphics, and innovation is once again creepying back into industry.  What could be better?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2004, 02:06:02 PM »
"Mario and Donkey Kong is a great tribute game to Donkey Kong. But Super Mario was always about action and split second reaction time."

I daresay some of the later MvDK levels involve a lot of action AND split second timing.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2004, 02:42:24 PM »
sorry I didn't read through the thread but here is a list of all known games to be on the NDS (excluding non-japanese games)

http://www.dengekionline.com

Originally posted by: passerby from beyond3d forums  >70 titles that are scheduled to be released in Japan only, so this excludes all developers outside Japan. I sure if we add in the US and European devs, the list can hit 100+

Anyway, all title names are still unconfirmed, so titles are subjectable to changes. Some katagana I can't twist around well enough to figure out. Abbreviate with ?.

IDEA FACTORY
Spectral Force

AKI (?)
1 - (?)

ATLUS
Game of LIfe
Shin Megami Tensai
3 - (?)

ARUZE
some puzzle game

EPOC (?)
some action game

MTO (?)
Everyone's Mahjong
racing game

CAPCOM
Rockman X series
Viewtiful Joe series
Baseball series (?)

GAMEARTS
a RPG

GENKI
a detective game
Killing High, Killing Low
Kaido Battle

KOEI
Shin Sangoku Musou
Historic Simulation
Mahjong

KONAMI
Yu-Gi-Oh! NIGHTMARE TROUBADOUR
Goemon
Survivor Kiss (?)
Vandal Heart (?)
Boktai
Baseball game
Castlevania
Winning Eleven Series

SAMMY
Fist of the North

SUNRISE INTERACTIVE
Simulation game

JAMSWORKS (?)
Board game

SQUARE_ENIX
Egg Monster Heroes
New FFCC
DrakeMonsters (?)
New Legend of Mana
DQ "slime monster" game

SPIKE
some adventure game

SEGA
Sonic DS
Project Rub

TAITO
Magic Pengel series (of course! this adapts beautifully!)
Puzzle Bubble series

CHUNSOFT
Mysterious Dungeon series

D3 PUBLISHING
some action game

TECMO
new Monster Farm
Team Ninja project

TOMMY
Naruto
Zoids

NAMCO
new Mr Driller
new RPG
PacPics (?)
1 - (?)

HUDSON
Bomberman
Tengai series

NINTENDO
Super Mario 64x4
Metroid Prime Hunters
Mario Cart DS
Animal Forest DS
New Super Mario Brothers
Pictochat
Nintendogs

BANDAI
Gundam SEED (what else? I'm so sick and tired of the milking)
One Piece
Metius (?)

BANPRESTO
Dragon Ball Z (see SEED comment)

MAVELOUS INTERACTIVE (?)
1 - (?)
the farming series - can't remember the english title.
fishing game
new RPG

YUKES
sports game

ROCKET COMPANY
adventure game

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2004, 05:07:56 AM »
QUESTION:  Now that Nintendo of America has also confirmed the list of Japanese games, from that list what games do you hope are Launch titles?  Obviously, we aren't getting them all as launch games, so what would you say would be the 10 strongest games to launch the system with.

Mine are:

1)Brain Twisting Game Vol. 1  (A fun collection game that will appeal to an older audience and have great touch screen support.)
2)Viewtiful Joe
3)Castlevania (A classic and most likely to be a launch game since Konami was able to release one for GBA quickly.)
4)Pac'N Roll.  (Another innovative title that mixes puzzle with action and great touch screen support.)
5)Snowboard Kids (Fun arcade sports game.)
6)Metroid Hunters
7)Mario 64 DS
8)MEGAMAN BATTLE NETWORK (A somewhat RPG, and very popular with the younger audience.)
9)Madden Football (Not on the list but you know it is being worked on.
10)Tie:  Either Animal Crossing DS or Wario Ware.  I would rather had Animal Crossing, but I would understand Wario Ware being easier to create being the next game.)

Offline g4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2004, 10:08:15 AM »
The console it self is going to worth the investment.  Think about it, the GBASP is over a year old and still selling strong at $100 new.  Now think you can save and get the used verision, yea but not by much, it runs just ten bucks under for $90.  The games also tend to hold their value very well.  
Now about the launch
The games are unanounced, however I'm pretty sure they will market it as "afordable" as they can but retaining the high $180-200 price tag(which I persanally don't think is unreasonable)
Ok, well the DS at 200 needs something.  There will probably be one game and/or pheriphiel to add to the DS for free that nintendo gives you.  Now being the chrismas season, there will be giveaways in the adds for pruchasing a DS, or making a $250 purchase.  Games will most likely be discounted as well to help get people into the store and interested.  So with combining all sales and perhaps percentage back from a retailer reward card you can walk about with a whole in you pocket but a big pile of lauch titles.

Oh and Castlevania is my number one game for the DS I would be happy if Konami gave me a couple new catlvania games and thats all that came out for the system
Current game(s): Tales of Symphonia; Castlevania SOTN; Doom 3
Next buy: Pokemon Leaf Green and Fire Red
Most wanted:Castlevania DS, Harvest Moon DS,Killer 7, Paper Mario 2, Halo 2, MP2, RE4, Star Fox 2, Tales of Phantasia (GBA)

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2004, 10:21:04 AM »
Im wondering if the DS will still work with the GC like the GBA does for games like FF:CC. If it does, I will sell my GBA SP. If it doesnt I will have to get the cash some other way.

Offline chain chomp

• Voted BEST by Pietriots
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2004, 05:56:57 AM »
 if the new 2D mario was named mario world 3 i think it would bring back older gamers plus i think it would sell better after all mario world series is the

BEST
wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2004, 06:19:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Jale
Im wondering if the DS will still work with the GC like the GBA does for games like FF:CC. If it does, I will sell my GBA SP. If it doesnt I will have to get the cash some other way.

It would need a separate adapter to attach to the GC, like the Wavebird needs a receiver to work...*bets this will be built into the Rev*
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~