Author Topic: Super Smash Bros DS, Can it be real??  (Read 21686 times)

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros DS, Can it be real??
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2004, 07:27:26 PM »
Now that the handheld has 4 face buttons, there is enough for one to be a "run" button, much like classic Mario games.  It would be interesting though to see how indeed they do impliment analog control.

I am a huge fan of Smash Bros, and would love to have new ways of playing it.  (I've actually started a flash bases version of the game before...Yeah, BIG fan.)

Offline kratos

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2004, 08:01:44 PM »
How would the controls be that much harder?  Double tap the d-pad to run, have "A" jump, "B" normal attacks, "X" specials, "Y" pick up/ throw.  Smash attacks would be done by pushing attack and direction at the same time.  For instance:  normal special: HOLD direction and push button.  SMASH special: TAP direction and button at the same time.  But then again....I don't know.

Offline chain chomp

• Voted BEST by Pietriots
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2004, 05:32:43 AM »
u guys cheakout newgrounds .com clik on mario vs sonic to wet your beat em up needs
wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros DS, Can it be real??
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2004, 05:45:53 AM »
Is that even legal? (answer: NO)

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2004, 06:57:21 PM »

Originally posted by: kurst_chao3030

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict
it'd be cool if you could control your character on the touchscreen.
...no, just hearing that is kind of annoying.

really? I've been thinking how a platformer could work with stlyus control, and i think it would  greatly enhance the gameplay..

however.. SSB requires buttons, no matter what.

I'll shut up now...

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2004, 07:24:12 PM »

Originally posted by: kurst_chao3030

it'd be cool if you could control your character on the touchscreen.
...no, just hearing that is kind of annoying.

really? I've been thinking how a platformer could work with stlyus control, and i think it would  greatly enhance the gameplay..

however.. SSB requires buttons, no matter what.
its an okay idea, i actually though about it with a lot of things, but, i see the stylus as more a PC's mouse, then a d-pad. there is no way u could play SSB like that...oh well. sorry if i was mean when i said it sounded annoying.

Banned

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2004, 10:31:22 PM »
If we just say double tapping = smash everyhing will be fine.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2004, 11:07:16 AM »
Super Smash Bros DS, could be a fighting game, and adventure game that completely redefines the genre.

Here is what I mean:

1)Adventure Verse Modes.  With everyone having their own screen you can have multiple players competing to complete adventure tasks.  Such as collecting Shines in a level.  Or Capturing flags, or what not.  All in large Nintendo themed 2D enviroments.  AWESOME!!!

2)Larger Verse Levels.   With the 2 screens I demand large levels to fight.  I want a map on the second screen to allow me to see where everyone is.  However this map wouldn't just be used to view where people are but spy on them, sneak up on them, and avoid sneak attacks yourself.  Imagine finding a safe spot to wait, and then you click on a the map to see the action of 3 fighters duking it out.  You see 3 of them are all at high damage so you decide to jump in and try for three kills.  Instead of walking over there you do a map teleport move and select somewhere one the map to just magically appear.  POOF you are in the middle of the fight.

3)Map specific Special moves.  Since the map is essential in this new game design.  Map game special moves are even more important.  Imagine doing a special move that disables the maps on players.  Or renders you invisible on the map.  Or allows you to teleport anywhere.  Or allows you to place traps anywhere in the game.  Perhaps lock a missle attack with Samus to hit a certain area of the map while you are 3 screens away from the action.  BRILLIANT!!!

4)Cooperative Adventure Mode.  Imagine 4 players going through side scrolling levels based on Nintendo franchises...solving puzzles, and defeating monsters from all Nintendo games.  Its like Zelda 4 swords, but with all Nintendo characters and side scrolling.

5)2D gaming.  Or at least Cell-Shaded.  I want this game to have a more traditional animation look.  I would love it to be completely hand drawn animation, but Cell shading seems to be the easiest and most affordable look to achieve such  goals.  I want to see that in this game.

Any other ideas?

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2004, 06:30:11 PM »
i don't think that map think is that innovative but its still a good idea. i'm thinking more a 2 levels in one, where u can be fighting on the top, and if your character falls down  he'll land on the bottom screen and fight some more. that would be so much and so awsome, plus you could be punched or thrown back to the top screen or somthing like that. there would be items that could reverse the gravity. i don't see anyway to include the touch screen though...

i like the cell shaded graphic idea thing, but couldn't they use the same design as the n64?
Banned

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2004, 09:40:05 PM »
Jaaa, sure, SSBDS will be the last game you'll ever desire, the game to end all gaming, etc. Please, be realistic. It's a simple fighting game, not some epic adventure or elaborate stealth game. Sniping and stuff like that should be kept at a minimum.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2004, 11:03:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang

2)Larger Verse Levels.   With the 2 screens I demand large levels to fight.  I want a map on the second screen to allow me to see where everyone is.  However this map wouldn't just be used to view where people are but spy on them, sneak up on them, and avoid sneak attacks yourself.  Imagine finding a safe spot to wait, and then you click on a the map to see the action of 3 fighters duking it out.  You see 3 of them are all at high damage so you decide to jump in and try for three kills.  Instead of walking over there you do a map teleport move and select somewhere one the map to just magically appear.  POOF you are in the middle of the fight.

How is this going to even work? If you can see them on your map, then they can see you on their map.  Good luck trying to sneak up on anyone at all.

And that thing about map teleporting will only make running away easier.  How can anyone defeat their opponent if they are always running away?
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2004, 07:42:45 AM »
myxtika is right, your idea really doesn't make much sense. i'm talking to u spak-spang
Banned

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2004, 11:16:04 AM »
Ninty can  do alot with those new buttons but i hope they look at mortal Kombat 3 and how the enhanced diffculty of the controls and combos and stuff ruined the series.   They just have to make it easy to pick up and play.
PikkCuber

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2004, 02:07:24 PM »
they have managed to do that with the first 2 ssb games, i am sure that the ds version will also be easy to play, and lots of fun.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2004, 07:38:17 AM »

Imagine finding a safe spot to wait, and then you click on a the map to see the action of 3 fighters duking it out. You see 3 of them are all at high damage so you decide to jump in and try for three kills.

Perhaps lock a missle attack with Samus to hit a certain area of the map while you are 3 screens away from the action. BRILLIANT!!!
No.  This would, in my opinion, ruin a lot of the gameplay.  To be "three screens" away and wait until everyone else plays then jump in to take advantage of their playing the game (while you are waiting) just seems wrong.  
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2004, 08:38:39 AM »
I agree with kenny, that is just cheap, and I would think it would be boring.  Some people like winning the game more than they like playing it.

I hate it when people play cheap, and this doesn't just include hiding, also using annoying moves over and over again is a real pain.  I knew a guy once who would use yoshi and constantly do his down b attack over and over. Cheapness is a real problem with newbies to the game.  (alas I was guilty of cheapness when I was new to SSB, I would use Kirby and turn into blocks over people (down B attack))

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2004, 08:56:31 AM »
"I knew a guy once who would use yoshi and constantly do his down b attack over and over."

Actually, I love it when people do this...Their attack patterns just make it that much easier to take them down...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2004, 09:10:04 AM »
Yeah good point, but after a while it just gets annoying and repetitive.  especially if you are playing with other people, it makes it that much easier for the cheap person to get you off gaurd.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2004, 08:41:40 AM »
Just defending my idea some.

Why does using the map to sneak around work...because of a few things.

1)In the heat of a battle between two or more people, are you really going to have the time to look at the map to make sure somebody else isn't coming.  Yeah, you can do a quick glance, but if you spend too much time, then you get attacked and can't fight as well.

2)You missed one of the options of the map.  When you are AWAY from the action you can click and actually watch what is going on from your map screen to see how much damage people have and such.  Then decide if you want to get into that battle.  

3)Using the Map touch screen for teleports and such.  Do a teleport move and jump behind somebody as they are trying to attack another character.  Even if they did see you on their map by the time they see you on their map again you can already have an attack going.

4)Powerups and special moves can hide you from other peoples maps.  Cloaking device will actually have a purpose.  How about an attack that scrambles the use of other characters maps.  It is all possible to be done.

My ideas are sound if you execute them well...and spend time to think about how it would work in the grand scheme of the game.  

Some people were talking about having 2 arenas to fight in that you can basically watch at the same time, but how is this much different than a normal level, except that it is on two screens.  So I can throw you down to the other screen, unless both screens only have limited interaction with eachother then that idea isn't revolutionary it is done before.

The map idea adds to the mix of having bigger levels.  (Always a plus.)  

Map based powerups like transports, missle locks, mine placements, I am sure you can think of more.

Map-enhancing or dehancing attacks, where you can render the player with a disadvantage with an attack hurting the map.  

Last, with the map and larger levels it will make the game more viable to play with 8-16 players.  Add into the idea that everyone has their own screen and the system could push more enemies and such going on you could even have more enviromental hazzards and such.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2004, 08:52:35 AM »
kennyb27:

If you are trying to launch missles from away and lock on to people, you can balance it out to not be cheap.  Samus has been doing a similar attack since Melee.  The missle would be slow, and if the battle breaks up or is over before you get there then it was a wasted attack.  Also while the attack is going on, you could balance it.  You can't have two missles on the field.  Someone teleports behind you and your getting hurt bad.

Yeah you can run, away, but I am not talking levels that are 10-20 screens long.  I am talking about levels that are like 5-7 screens, with pitfalls and such all around to make fighting with the enviroment more productive.

Plus, how could you justify playing a game with 16 people without these larger enviroments?  And wouldn't you want to be able to teleport straight into the action, or away to get a powerup to try to stay alive?  Wouldn't you like to know if a battle is worth jumping into when you are at 75% damage, or would you like to be surprised when you run into battle and everyone is at 10% damage.

How about the other modes of play that can really work with map and teleportation.  

How about capture the flag mode.  You can try to get to the other side and capture a teams flag.  Each team can only use their teleport moves when they don't have the flag.  Now imagine trying to influtrate the levels and how best you would defend your castle.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2004, 10:40:57 AM »
I think the teleport would be a better idea if it took you about 5 seconds to do it, and if you got hit while trying to teleport, it cancels.  That would get rid of, teleport in, smash, teleport out, teleport in, smash, teleport out.  or using the teleport to run away all the time instead of fighting.  

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2004, 05:27:28 PM »
i still don't like the map idea...i want a normal SSB
Banned

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2004, 05:57:07 PM »
Spak,  That is fine then.  I'm just tired of having friends over continually staying "out of the fray" and then moving in only to attack when the other players have high percentages.  It's annoying and it gets old real fast.  I just didn't like some of the suggestions in this thread because I thought they would promote or at least not encourage this "cheap" gameplay.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2004, 06:25:31 PM »
Nothing wrong with some teleports.. but on a Sci Fi type Stage... Like Inside the Star Fox Ship...

If anybody played Power Stone 2, it had a stage where it had some cool Teleports... to allow quick escapes and quick ways to go back and fight...

Dont like the map idea though... Id rather use both Screens for the Actual Game ...  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2004, 05:25:59 AM »
Kenny:  Yeah I agree.  I hate when people avoid battle...and I hate cheap moves that can take advantage distance.

I am all about balance.  But I want new ideas, and something really interesting with the DS SSB.  

A 2 second delay on teleporting could work, or a human delay.  Do the special move to teleport then you have to click on the map you want to go.  Your character is completely vunerable while you are selecting a teleport area.  That could be anywhere between 2-5 seconds depending how fast a player is, and if he knows exactly where he wants to go.

Teleports could also be limited to only teleporting a certain distance away...same idea with Samus's missles they can only target a certain area.

The biggest problem I have is making map specific special moves for all characters that make sense.  Not every character should be able to teleport...or have targeting projectiles.