Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 276265 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Pre-Release Discussion (March 2017)
« Reply #200 on: October 26, 2016, 01:24:26 AM »
{image}
128GB USB nub. You'd hardly notice it, depending on where the USB drive on the portable would be.
assuming there would be one. I'd just prefer dual microSD slots.

But how much is the nub?

You could buy two of them for less than the price of an HD game. <$60 after tax and shipped on Amazon.

Oh really? Are they Wii U compatible? This may finally solve my online Smash dilemma.

I can't say they are Wii U compatible, but I don't know why they woudln't be....
but, don't say I never did nothing for you ;)

Amazon link to 128GB Samsung USB 3.0 nub for $27.95 w/ FREE 1-day shipping

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 26, 2016, 01:57:03 AM »
That's another thing. Why would the dock have USB hubs unless for storage? I doubt you can access the usb storage when on the jet plane with your Switch, so there must be something to it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 26, 2016, 03:09:25 AM »
Have we talked about different SKUs for varying screen sizes yet?  Is that a want? Expectation?

Nope. At least, not in the first year or so of life.

I would imagine a "varying screen size sku" could come around the 1.5 or 2 year mark though, but in the form of a Switch Micro/Lite/Mini that would have a smaller screen, form factor, a mini dock/charger, and longer battery life. Sorta move down into space currently occupied by the New 3DS XL and PSVita.

As for going "up" in screen size, isn't that what a TV is for? @_@
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 26, 2016, 03:12:42 AM »
I'd go for a Switch XL. There are some nice uses for the larger screen on the go or if you just have to play away from the TV. Sick day (lazy day) in bed? Pull out the larger Switch for watching shows or playing a game more comfortably than on a tiny screen.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 26, 2016, 05:23:19 AM »
The switch screen is already pretty big. I dont think it needs to be any bigger. As Kairon said, thats what the TV is for.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #205 on: October 26, 2016, 09:45:56 AM »
They're not even selling a dockless model right away, I don't think we're looking at a Basic/Deluxe situation let alone bigger/smaller screen sizes.

As for price, they'll sell it at a profit but are "listening to the conversation", and I'm pretty sure that means something that starts with a 2 in the US.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »
Not to wander from the current discussion too far, but I recall Ubisoft stating that Just Dance WILL be an NX game.  Does this mean likely support for the Wii Remote on the Switch, or using the Joy-Cons for motion tracking?

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 26, 2016, 12:21:39 PM »
That's another thing. Why would the dock have USB hubs unless for storage? I doubt you can access the usb storage when on the jet plane with your Switch, so there must be something to it.

Smash Bros. USB is needed fro the  GameCube Controller Hub. Smash sold 15mil copies on Wii U/3DS sos you'd best believe they need that to work on the Switch.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 26, 2016, 12:32:03 PM »
Hey whats up with Broodwars? It's always fun to see what he has to say on anything Nintendo. I haven't noticed anything about the Switch from him. Is he ok or just left NWR?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2016, 12:53:17 PM »

Smash Bros. USB is needed fro the  GameCube Controller Hub. Smash sold 15mil copies on Wii U/3DS sos you'd best believe they need that to work on the Switch.

I don't think what Smash on Wii U/3DS has to do with Switch, it is an entirely new console it's going to have it's very own version of Smash Bros. Probably be much better at scaling down to the smaller size, and to that end, did the 3DS even support the Game Cube controllers or was that just for Wii U? Because if it wasn't supported on 3DS there isn't a need for that support with Switch as it has a controller option that appears to satisfy the need for Game Cube style controllers. Unless people are just so stuck in the past they can't let that go.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #210 on: October 26, 2016, 01:27:30 PM »
Hey whats up with Broodwars? It's always fun to see what he has to say on anything Nintendo. I haven't noticed anything about the Switch from him. Is he ok or just left NWR?

Connectivity issues.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 26, 2016, 01:52:46 PM »
Not to wander from the current discussion too far, but I recall Ubisoft stating that Just Dance WILL be an NX game.  Does this mean likely support for the Wii Remote on the Switch, or using the Joy-Cons for motion tracking?

I doubt it. JD has been emphasizing using your phone as a controller on other consoles.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 26, 2016, 09:22:20 PM »

I don't think what Smash on Wii U/3DS has to do with Switch, it is an entirely new console it's going to have it's very own version of Smash Bros. Probably be much better at scaling down to the smaller size, and to that end, did the 3DS even support the Game Cube controllers or was that just for Wii U? Because if it wasn't supported on 3DS there isn't a need for that support with Switch as it has a controller option that appears to satisfy the need for Game Cube style controllers. Unless people are just so stuck in the past they can't let that go.

Not sure if you noticed but Smash is Nintendo number 1 Franchise and the best selling fight game series of all time...just syaing

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion (Jan. 12 Live Stream! March 2017 Release)
« Reply #213 on: October 26, 2016, 09:53:14 PM »
Nintendo Switch Presentation, streamed live from Tokyo, will happen on January 12.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/791455799302246400

VIA Syrenne McNulty's Twitter

"This will be an event for invited media, financial analysts and trade partners in Tokyo that will be globally livestreamed on Jan. 12"

"The presentation will include the launch date and pricing for Nintendo Switch, as well as a look at the lineup of games currently in dev."

US and Europe will get media presentations at a later date. Public events will also be announced later.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:56:08 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 26, 2016, 10:07:41 PM »

Not sure if you noticed but Smash is Nintendo number 1 Franchise and the best selling fight game series of all time...just syaing

lol Nintendo's number 1 franchise.. What are you basing that on?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #215 on: October 27, 2016, 01:33:13 AM »
Why does the Switch have to support the GC controller adapter for Smash?  Can't Smash sell on it's own?  Or is it believed that Smash 4's success has a lot to do with that adapter?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 27, 2016, 01:41:37 AM »
Nintendo would rather sell you GC joycon's instead.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 27, 2016, 12:05:50 PM »
For comparison: to upgrade the memory on my New 3DS XL, I paid $18 USD for a Sandisk 32GB SD card in Nov '15 and $21 USD for a Samsung 64GB MicoSD card in June '16, both bought through Amazon (US).

Also for comparison: I take my 3DS to work everyday and almost never open it. By the time I get home it always has lost a bar. I meant to check it every hour today, but couldn't. Sometime between hour 4 and hour 7 it lost a bar. I'm a little extra about not running out of power so I have 2 of those portable power banks. There are myCharge AmpMax and AmpPlus. The AmpMax is supposed to be 4X a regular battery and the AmpPlus 2x. My memory is that I needed the AmpMax to get through a 10 hour flight that included a lot of game time. I may have needed the AmpMax to get it fully charged from almost no power, but my memory isn't clear. However, if my memory is correct, that would mean a typical power bank probably wouldn't be sufficient.

The more I thought about this, the more likely I felt it was that I continued to game while the 3DS was plugged in and charging.  So I tested it.  I was able to get two full charges (I let the 3DS run until it shut down) out of the AmpMax and still have a one of four bars left on the power bank.

From the side of the AmpMax:
Model: AMU60KG-A
Capacity: 22.2Wh
Input: 5VDC, 2.1A
Output: 5VDC, 2.4A Max

From the myCharge website:
 Rechargeable 6700mAh portable charger

The AmpMax 6700mAh portable charger delivers instant power in a compact, ergonomic design. With 2 built-in USB ports and and 2.4A output this powerbank is perfect for charging two devices simultaneously and up to 65% faster. The 6700mAh portable battery provides an extra 45 hours of power and comes complete with an integrated USB recharge cable. Recharging your powerbank just became a whole lot easier!

Battery Capacity: 6700 mAh portable charger
Recharges Via: Integrated USB cable
Compatibility: Smartphones, Tablets & USB Devices

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 27, 2016, 03:28:32 PM »
Hmmm that's interesting. I guess we'd have to take battery specifications with a grain of salt, or I'd need to learn more about how they're rated, because I just go by mAh usually. The New 3DS XL is rated at 1750 mAh, so I'd expect you to get ALMOST four full additional charges out of a 6700 mAh external battery. Maybe there's inefficiencies in the charging process, or accepted variances in the manufacturing for either Nintendo or myCharge or both?

Anyways, I really hope that Nintendo is not cheaping out on the battery. You'd think with the proliferation of smart phones and upward pressure on battery capacity that creates Nintendo would be able to swing a decent battery in there... or maybe the thing really DOES draw that much power?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 27, 2016, 10:35:57 PM »
Nintendo would rather sell you GC joycon's instead.

I'm sure they would, but I think most people who still prefer using the GameCube controller want to use the GameCube controller specifically. Competitive players most definitely will and as a casual player who still uses it, I'd rather move to the Switch Pro Controller than play with GameCube Joy-Cons.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2016, 12:34:01 AM »
Hmmm that's interesting. I guess we'd have to take battery specifications with a grain of salt, or I'd need to learn more about how they're rated, because I just go by mAh usually. The New 3DS XL is rated at 1750 mAh, so I'd expect you to get ALMOST four full additional charges out of a 6700 mAh external battery. Maybe there's inefficiencies in the charging process, or accepted variances in the manufacturing for either Nintendo or myCharge or both?

Anyways, I really hope that Nintendo is not cheaping out on the battery. You'd think with the proliferation of smart phones and upward pressure on battery capacity that creates Nintendo would be able to swing a decent battery in there... or maybe the thing really DOES draw that much power?

Good thing they aren't working with Samsung and their exploding Note 7 batteries ;)

My Game Collection

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2016, 02:03:26 AM »
Bloomberg Q&A With President Tatsumi Kimishima.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-28/nintendo-s-big-switch-q-a-with-president-tatsumi-kimishima

Planning went back 3 years(!). They always start with the philosophy before the hardware: 'our original concept was, "What kind of new experience can we create?"' Just think, by this time next year, they'll be planning the Nintendo Lever (coming in 2022!)

No demos til January: "We want people to touch the device in January"

Why such a snazzy debut video? "...to communicate our new idea, when you think about who will understand it first, naturally it will be people who really understand games. To communicate that as quickly as possible, we focused on those folks who really understand games."

Will we see the modular controller accessories of forum mockup infamy? Sounds possible: "In terms of attachments to the core part that is the Switch, it may be appropriate to call them accessories. Or it might be better to call them add-on hardware. It’s probably more correct to call them accessories. You can assume that there will be a wider array."

What about VR? "Miyamoto has talked about this several times. It's not that we’re uninterested. In fact, we have a lot of interest. VR offers the experience of playing in a new way..." However, he seems to give a nonanswer; though I interpret it as not being relevant to what Nintendo is doing and thus not something he's interested to talk about in depth.

Super Mario Run: "...our expectations are big... In terms of the game itself, you can download it and play a certain part of it, and then pay a fixed price and then play it over and over as many times as you want without having to pay anything extra." Does that mean you can get the demo for free, then have the option to pay for the whole thing? Does he literally not know the word demo?

Smartphone synergy: "by releasing our software on the smartphone, it positively impacts our existing hardware and software business."

Some other good questions about long term profitability and Switch's projected sales are not given very detailed answers. Kimi seems very guarded and careful throughout.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 29, 2016, 02:40:20 AM »
Will we see the modular controller accessories of forum mockup infamy? Sounds possible: "In terms of attachments to the core part that is the Switch, it may be appropriate to call them accessories. Or it might be better to call them add-on hardware. It’s probably more correct to call them accessories. You can assume that there will be a wider array."

So they are looking to make extra add-on controllers. They make most of their money on hardware sales so this makes sense.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2016, 09:16:06 AM »
Not that anyone was concerned about this, but I found some size comparison charts:

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 07, 2016, 03:37:06 PM »

So they are looking to make extra add-on controllers. They make most of their money on hardware sales so this makes sense.

I can't imagine them making more money off hardware sales because of the profit margin.

If a game is budgeted at 30 million they make a profit if they sell a game for $9 when they sell 3.4 million copies. They usually sell games at $49.99 though. Which means they only need to sell about 613k copies. Also, I doubt only but the biggest budgets are going to be 30 million(the average Capcom budget).

With hardware the profit margin is (usually)lower. When you combine R&D cost with building materials they haveto sell a lot of hardware to make a profit.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post