Author Topic: Three... Weeks... 'til Switch day!!!  (Read 12788 times)

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
Three... Weeks... 'til Switch day!!!
« on: February 10, 2017, 05:42:23 AM »
There's no real point to this thread other than to try and release some of the pent up excitement I get this close to a new console launch. The preorders are all done, the money is all transferred into the right account, I'm fully good to go!

My biggest unanswered question at this point is... the Virtual Console. Will it be there at launch? Will there be any carry over? What legacy systems will it support? What will the library be like? What will the pricing be like?

My biggest concerns are... will I be working on 03/03? What time will Amazon deliver my order? How long will it take to download the 14gb of data that is Breath of the Wild?

It's getting sooooo close now!

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Three... Weeks... 'til Switch day!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:34:05 AM »
I will have a full day of work on March 3. I'll probably go to the local midnight launch at Best Buy, pick up my pre-order then go home to sleep. Friday night and Saturday will be all Switch all the time though. Maybe even Sunday.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »
My Amazon pre-order is being delivered to work. I expect it before I leave at 4:00 PM. I may stop by Best Buy to try to get some peripherals, namely the Joy-Con Charging Grip.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:37:06 AM »
I won't buy something when there's so many unanswered questions. This is ridiculous that a system Nintendo wants people to fork over more than $300 for doesn't have any news or limited news on the Virtual Console, account information, previous downloads, online features, online price, and so much more.

I hope for some kind of Nintendo Direct or something before launch, but even then, it should not be so close to launch. It's ridiculous.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 09:07:08 AM »
I'm taking launch day off, that said, I used a Dr. appointment and a few errands that need to be ran that morning as an excuse to take the day off so I can dive deep into Zelda.  Wake up-take kids to daycare - 8:00 Dr. appointment 20 mins away -go pick up my switch from Gamestop- Zelda all day til the kids need to be picked up.

I think it's safe to guess that whatever form of Virtual Console might be available day one will be as pathetic as the Wii U's day one offering.  I'm ok with that, given I'll have at least Zelda, and plan on getting Snipperclips launch day as well (might get bomberman sometime if I can find a good deal on it).  I think best case scenario for virtual console carry-over would be an upgrade charge akin to the Wii-to-Wii U, although I'm not holding my breath on that either.

That said, I'm cautiously excited for the system, moreso because of Zelda.  I'm not that anxious for launch day yet if just because I've been neck deep in Gravity Rush 2, so my thirst for an open world game is currently satiated for the moment.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 02:14:30 PM »
You know it'll probably be the same Nintendo eShop with some Switch games. You might be able to upgrade your virtual console games to switch for $2 each. OR not.We don't know. But If I know Nintendo they want you to buy all your games all over again.

Currently. My Nintendo is linked with the Eshop of 3ds and Wii u and I guess the Iphone?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:21:41 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 02:41:15 PM »
No.... Sleep.... til Brooklyn!!!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »
Not a hater, but for me, it's just going to be Zelda U day. I won't really be interested in the Switch until Mario Odyssey releases.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »
I'm with Mop in that it's Zelda day for me but that's pretty exciting by itself!  Actually I feel like Breath of the Wild has had time to build up hype but not so much the Switch itself.  I feel too in the dark on what seems like important Switch details and it's odd that the launch is only three weeks away.  I think that's a mistep on Nintendo's part.  I feel like I encounter less hype for the Switch online and more general confusion.  I don't feel there is a lot of negativity either.  It's more like "uh yeah the Switch.  Might be good.  Need to wait and see on that one."  Like people are open to it but aren't comfortable enough to take a risk on it.

There are going to be important details about it that are going to get revealed to us by the early adopters instead of Nintendo themselves.  That's pretty strange.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 04:25:56 PM »
I do not begrudge anyone for being lukewarm at best on the Switch right now. The lack of any information on the account system has me really worried. The lack of information on the online pricing has me worried. If the worst case scenario on both comes to fruition then it seriously limits the console's viability down the line. Of course I'm going to buy it at launch because I love Nintendo and couldn't think of doing otherwise. But this is not going to be a Wii U situation again. Accounts tied to systems is unacceptable and so is a high price for online. I am going to have a blast with the Switch on that first weekend but I am questioning how much I'll be playing the system down the road.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »
I just think it's just crazy to not have some of the unknown info out there or not easily available if it is known. I'm going to get a Switch regardless, as I the announced games and the tech in the controllers are awesome to me. Hopefully close to launch our family will get one.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 06:40:29 PM »
I've been keeping myself immersed in Dragon Quest VIII and other things, as I don't want to get too hyped with three weeks still to go... but it's getting hard to contain my excitement for launch. Amazon.ca is still showing my Switch console (along with games and accessories) as having an estimated arrival date of March 8-10, but I'm assuming/hoping that's just a placeholder. Kind of wish I got a preorder in at EB Games anyway, since they seem like the only retailer in Canada who might do a midnight launch. I'll just be happy to have the Switch on day one though, whenever I get it.

As for the lack of details surrounding some aspects of the console: I agree that we should know more about the Switch than we actually do at the moment, but, on the other hand, Nintendo is not going to have any trouble blowing through its initial shipment of consoles (according to Kimishima, they pretty much already have). It's weird that we don't know more about things like the account system this close to launch, but it's obviously not a big enough deal for everyone planning to buy the console on day one to take a wait and see approach. It doesn't make much of a difference whether you get these details today or the day before launch if you've already decided to buy it no matter what. 

There are going to be important details about it that are going to get revealed to us by the early adopters instead of Nintendo themselves.  That's pretty strange.

I'd be really surprised if Nintendo, a company so concerned with controlling the message that it doesn't even do press conferences at E3 anymore, would leave it to early adopters to reveal a lot of important details. I'm sure we'll get some more details in announcements or interviews, if not a full-blown video presentation.

"GameCube Virtual Console at launch" is starting to look a bit unlikely; however, if it is indeed happening, I can see Nintendo sitting on that news as one last "get excited about this fucking console" announcement just before launch. Based on some comments Reggie made a few weeks ago, it seems like Nintendo is aware that such an announcement would be a fairly big deal.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »
So, we all want Zelda and don't have Zelda. There is a sizable amount of people who don't have Mario Kart 8 either. Now the majority of people on these forums have enjoyed it, the rest of the general population hasn't.  1/3 of us will buy it again just because it has battle mode.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 02:12:17 AM »
Typically I would assume that a company being quiet about details like an account system would be doing so because they know the specifics aren't going to go over well so they're hoping to conceal it as long as possible.  It's like how games that don't get review copies sent prior to release are always crap and are intentionally trying to sell what they can before bad word of mouth damages the sales potential.

Ten years ago I would have accused Nintendo of doing so but I've gotten used to the fact that Nintendo is really really weird and does not think the way others do.  So I doubt they're hiding anything like that on purpose, they probably just don't understand why this matters to us.  Really the only reason it does is because Nintendo has been tying digital purchases to physical hardware for so long.  I don't think if Sony or MS didn't get into details about the account system that anyone would notice - we would just ASSUME they're doing it in the correct manner they have done for a while.

Being strangely coy about seemingly important details just seems like Nintendo being weird because they're weird.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 02:20:10 AM »
Thanks to February being a short month. 20 days left.

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 04:52:58 AM »
No.... Sleep.... til Brooklyn!!!

Yeah boyeeee! I hope everyone read the title to that tune.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »
Keep in mind, there was a Wii U specific Nintendo Direct a week before the console dropped. We might see a similar situation here.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »
I have a dentist appoint at 10:30 on launch day.  I had to push it back from today because I'm traveling for work.  I'll be using that as an excuse to take the day off.  Hopefully I'll have time to pick up my preorder, so I can start Zelda-ing while I sit in the wait room.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »
Keep in mind, there was a Wii U specific Nintendo Direct a week before the console dropped. We might see a similar situation here.

Have definitely kept that in mind, but didn't agree with that decision then and still don't now. If you're going to ask consumers to pre-order your platform, you should give them as much info as you can ASAP. I'm not talking about things like games for 2018 and on-- I mean simple hardware/online system knowledge. :X

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »
I don't think Nintendo is asking for pre-orders.  I think they're just assuming they'll be there (which they are).

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 04:00:40 PM »
They're asking for Nintendo fans, gamers, and consumers to have hype and part of that hype process is pre-ordering.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 04:01:12 PM »
Stop being a hater, Phil. You know we don't tolerate that sort of **** around here.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »
They're asking for Nintendo fans, gamers, and consumers to have hype and part of that hype process is pre-ordering.

True.  They want to see excitement and the way fans show excitement is with preorders.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2017, 04:40:33 PM »
Stop being a hater, Phil. You know we don't tolerate that sort of **** around here.

Hehe!  ;D

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2017, 12:09:03 AM »
I don't think Nintendo is asking for pre-orders.  I think they're just assuming they'll be there (which they are).

Nintendo.com's Switch page links to the pre-order pages of 6 major retailers in the US. They're totally asking for pre-orders.