Author Topic: This Week's Virtual Console and WiiWare  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
This Week's Virtual Console and WiiWare
« on: February 02, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »
Nintendo and Hudson provide this week's WiiWare titles, while Sega rounds out the week with one for the Virtual Console.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=17662

The week's Virtual Console and WiiWare update provides players with an ESRB-leaked WiiWare title, another WiiWare title, and a Master System Virtual Console game from Sega.    

Sonic Chaos for the Sega Master System is this week's sole Virtual Console release. Players will take the role of either Sonic or Tails in the usual quest to defeat Dr. Robotnik. As per his usual routine, Eggman has stolen a (red) chaos emerald to make a nuclear device. In turn, the other chaos emeralds were thrown out of alignment and transported to another dimension. Players will have to Strike Dash and do Super-Peel Outs as Sonic, or Spin Dashes and Fly as Tails in order to reclaim the six chaos emeralds and bring Robotnik to justice. Sonic Chaos is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and is available now through the Wii Shop Channel for 500 Wii Points ($5).    

Snowboard Riot, Hudson's latest addition to the WiiWare service allows players to race down a white face mountain, battling contending racers with items and speed. Players will have the option to use the Wii Balance Board, and up to four players can race at the same time. Additional ranking modes are also available through the Nintendo WiFi Connection. Snowboard Riot is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and is available now through the Wii Shop Channel for 1000 Wii Points ($10).    

This week's final title, LONPOS, has already been revealed through an ESRB rating and has been available in Japan for nearly a year as it was a launch title for the Japanese WiiWare service. Players will use a set of twelve unique pieces to fill in blank spaces on a rectangular 55 space grid in this unique puzzle game. As levels get harder, players will need to fit more pieces into the grid. Up to four players can compete, or up to two players can cooperate in two single player modes. Players can also see where they rank worldwide with the Nintendo WiFi Connection. For additional information, see our impressions of the Japanese version of the game. LONPOS is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and is available now through the Wii Shop Channel for 800 Wii Points ($8).    

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL    

Feb. 2, 2009    

If you've got a taste for the eclectic, check out this lively lineup of additions to the Wii™ Shop Channel. One new WiiWare™ title combines brisk winter sports with pulverizing power-ups, while another blends intuitive puzzle dynamics with various multiplayer options. Meanwhile, a classic Virtual Console™ game invites you to assume the role of a certain adventurous hedgehog. With diverse releases like these, players of all stripes are sure to find something they'll love.    

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:    

WiiWare    

Snowboard Riot™ (Hudson Entertainment, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Fantasy Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): This snowboard racing and battle game can be enjoyed by multiple players and is compatible with the Wii Balance Board™ accessory. In an intense scramble for first place, guide your character down the slopes while snatching up items to attack and defend against rivals along the way. Up to four players can battle and participate in various ranking modes via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection.    

LONPOS (Nintendo, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Looking for a puzzle game that anyone can play, but still offers plenty to master? Look no further than LONPOS, with its straightforward premise and large variety of puzzles to solve. Each puzzle revolves around a rectangular playing field of 55 spaces. Using a set of 12 pieces, the goal is to place every piece into the playing field, filling it completely. The higher the level, the more pieces you'll need to fit correctly into the playing field. Challenge yourself with two single-player modes or bring a friend to compete against or cooperate with. When you think your skills are worthy, use Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to check out how you compare with other LONPOS players or download additional puzzles and backgrounds. (Router and broadband access required for online play. For more info, go to www.nintendo.com.)    

Virtual Console    

Sonic Chaos™ (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Play as Sonic or Tails in Sonic Chaos, which was originally made for the SEGA MASTER SYSTEM. Dr. Eggman (a.k.a. Dr. Robotnik) has stolen the Red Chaos Emerald to create nuclear weapons. This has thrown the remaining Chaos Emeralds off balance, causing them to transport to a parallel universe. As a result, Sonic's home, South Island, is sinking into the ocean. Speed through various levels in your crusade for the six Chaos Emeralds. Perform Strike Dashes and Super-Peel Outs as Sonic, or Spin Dash and Fly as Tails, and restore order in Sonic Chaos.    

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Check out PixlBit!

Offline ryro

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: This Week's Virtual Console and WiiWare
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »
Is anybody really buying Master system games, especially these downgrades of Genesis titles?  Real shame, there's a lot of great games that I'd like to buy on VC but I haven't picked up a new one in a long time.  WiiWare hasn't been supergreat either.  Oh well. 

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »
This isn't a Genesis downgrade is it? I'm pretty sure it's a port of a separate Game Gear game.

I actually owned it and enjoyed it back in the day.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »
Why aren't there any WiiWare Doom/Duke3D clones?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:28:28 PM »
Is anybody really buying Master system games, especially these downgrades of Genesis titles?  Real shame, there's a lot of great games that I'd like to buy on VC but I haven't picked up a new one in a long time.  WiiWare hasn't been supergreat either.  Oh well. 

Most of the Sonic games on Master System are different games from the Genesis counterparts. I have Sonic 2 for Master System and it is nothing like the Genesis one in regards to design. They are more platformy then the Genesis ones.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 04:44:27 PM »
I like Sonic Triple Trouble (the direct sequel) more than Sonic Chaos, but Sonic Chaos is still decent. I believe Sonic Chaos was Sonic & Tails in Japan, and Sonic Triple Trouble was Sonic & Tails 2.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Wonder why it took so long for Lonpos to come out here?  I assumed it just wasn't coming after the first couple months.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »
Is Lonpos good?  fun?  stimulating?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 12:45:58 PM »
I enjoy the Sonic games on the Master System, mainly because they are so nostalgic and fun.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 04:32:40 PM »
Wonder why it took so long for Lonpos to come out here?  I assumed it just wasn't coming after the first couple months.

Maybe Genki had trouble finding a publisher until Nintendo stepped up?
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 05:03:19 PM »
Is Lonpos good?  fun?  stimulating?

Mostly notorious for its DLC.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 09:35:59 PM »
I will buy Lonpos once the storage solution comes out.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 02:20:18 PM »
I have a real version of Lonpos.  It's made of plastic, cost $10, and it great fun.

The game seems like it would be needlessly complicated on Wii.  The numerous, small pieces require you to try many (sometimes hundreds) different solutions before you come up with the correct one.

Just buy a real one and save your storage space as well as your sanity.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 06:34:45 PM »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.