Author Topic: SPECIALS: Nintendo World Report's Wii Launch Adventures  (Read 10437 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
SPECIALS: Nintendo World Report's Wii Launch Adventures
« on: December 05, 2006, 07:52:49 PM »
This is the talkback thread for the Nintendo World Report's Wii Launch Adventures special.  Feel free to comment on the feature or add your own story to the mix!
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: SPECIALS: Nintendo World Report's Wii Launch Adventures
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 08:42:41 PM »
Holy crap.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:50:29 PM »
FEEL THE BURN!!!!

I have only lined up for one console. That was for the Japanese cube launch. It was an amusing and civilised experience. If I wasn't living in New Zealand right now and jobless (FEEL THE BURN!!!!) I might be tempted to get one but I am more than happy to wait this one out. I got more important problem to sort out.

Those stories are pretty cool though. I guess all those years working at PGC paid off with those press passes.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 01:18:10 AM »
I'll add my story later but I hate you guys for bringing on flashbacks.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 01:34:14 AM »
I realized about a month or two before launch, that Bishop Allen, my favoritest band ever, had scheduled a show in Des Moines on 11/18 - literally just 6 hours before the midnight launch of Nintendo Wii at Walmart stores everywhere. Since I couldn't get a Wii pre-ordered, thanks to Gamestop's asinine 1-day notification, my only shot at getting a Wii at midnight was Walmart.

What was unknown, however, was the demand. I was informed that every Walmart in the state of Iowa was getting a minimum of 20 systems in. I wasn't sure if that was ALL that they were getting in. According to an employee at the Windsor Heights store (my local Walmart), they were only getting 20 in.

I thought that it might be a good idea to go to a less centrally located Walmart, and one that was a bit closer to the concert venue so that I could get to Walmart and get in line for my Wii as soon as the concert was over. So, at around 5-ish, I called the Walmart in south Des Moines.

Their line was already half full, 7 hours ahead of midnight. Suddenly, it finally dawned on me how difficult this might be. Since Kelly (the girlfriend) and I needed to get cash for the Bishop Allen show anyways, we decided to stop at the Windsor Heights (more centrally located) Walmart to see how their line was shaping up, and get cash while we were at it.

We went back to Layaway, where the line was supposed to be, and no one was there. I asked an employee, and he said that the line had filled up at 3 PM, and they gave out numbered tickets and sent everyone home until midnight.

Holy crap. 3 PM? 9 hours before launch? Never, in my wildest dreams, did I think that I would have to get to Walmart 9 hours ahead of time AT A MINIMUM for this.

I went to the Bishop Allen show feeling dejected. Kelly played video game ringtones to try to cheer me up, and that helped a bit. The Bishop Allen show helped a bit more, but I was very distracted. After the show was over, I began calling every Walmart in the Des Moines metro area to see how their line was shaping up. They were all full. Not a single opening.

As a last ditch effort, I called the Walmart in Newton, IA - about 35 minutes away from Des Moines. They said they had maybe 15-17 people in line, and they didn't think every one of them were buyers. This was the best shot yet, so we got in the car, and with 3.5 hours until midnight, made the deer-infested drive to Newton.

When we got there, Kelly counted about 20-22 people in line, and assumed that at least 3 or 4 of them weren't buyers, but parents or friends of buyers, simply passing the time. I got in line and waited patiently. At 10 PM, they handed out official numbers, and I was #22-- out of #20. I did not get a number, and did not appear to be able to get a system.

I was upset, tired, and ready to go back to Des Moines, but Kelly was a trooper. Knowing that I'd kick myself if I left without knowing for sure, she made me go to Perkins and we killed an hour or two before returning to Walmart at 11:45 to watch everyone come back to make their purchases. The idea was that if one of the numbers didn't show up, or if someone's credit card didn't go through, there would be an opening for me to grab a system.

No luck. #19 ALMOST wasn't able to buy hers, but after the credit card was declined, she pulled out her checkbook and paid for it that way.

So at 12:45 AM, we made the longest 35 minute drive ever back to Des Moines. We pulled in around 1:30, and I drove by the lines at Target and Best Buy. Target's line was preferable, because they opened an hour earlier than Best Buy, but their line looked pretty much full to capacity. Best Buy, however, was rumored to be getting something like 80 systems in, and only had about 20-25 people in line. Best Buy would be my best choice.

I went home. Slept from 2:15 AM to 3:45 AM, and then drove around the block to get in line at Best Buy. I was there at 4:08, and proceeded to wait until they handed out tickets at 8 AM. I did make some buddies with the guys in line ahead of me. I timed my arrival just right, actually.

See, I figured that if you want to get to a opening line early, you come around 5. That's the default time. So everyone who wants to beat those guys, they'll get there at 4:30. I had to one-up the one-uppers, so I came at 4. And it worked out beautifully, because there were only 2 people that came between midnight and 4 AM, and within 30 minutes of my arrival, there were already 10 people in line behind me. I effectively started the morning portion of the line.

Anyways, they gave out tickets at 8, and then I sat in my car and played DS for an hour. At 9, they let us in, past a mountain of impulse buy DVDs, and a table full of games. I picked up Zelda, and paid for my system.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:34:39 AM »
Yeah Pale, launch day was crazy. It sucked sitting out in the freezing cold all day, but I guess it was worth it. Nice to hear you got so lucky and grabbed everything you needed. We'll have to hang out some time and throw down in some Wii Sports.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 01:36:24 AM »
One quick addition: Best Buy in my area started selling their Remotes on the Friday before launch, and as a result, they had only 12 remotes for 80 people.  And no nunchucks.

Luckily, I got my remote-chuck combo on Friday when I saw them on sale.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 02:29:05 AM »
I got to my Wal*Mart at about 11:30 AM, got into line, then was first to purchase my Wii at midnight, along with a second controller, points card, nunchuck, classic con and Zelda.

Notice how I got in line early.  That's because I'm smart.

(Also, I had requested that Saturday/Sunday off just so I could wait in line.)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline k_bukie

• View Profile
RE:SPECIALS: Nintendo World Report's Wii Launch Adventures
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 04:16:43 AM »
Not all these stories have happy endings...

I've now waited a total of about 20 hours in line, and have gotten nothing yet.

Started with waiting 8 hours at a Gamestop that got none on launch day.

2 hours at Walmart the following Friday, 11th in line for 5 systems (yes, 5).  Then waited an additional 2 hours at a nearby Gamestop to be 10th in line for 8 systems.

The next Sunday, got to Target 4 hours early.  They didn't get their shipment in, but didn't mention that to us until they opened.

Every day since then, I've called places, they say they got some in, but by the time I get there they are either gone or the line is too long.

Culminated today, waiting at Wal-mart for 90 minutes, 15th in line for 14 systems, and a lady got there literally a second in front of me (had I moved quicker I'd have made it, although at the time it seemed like no big deal).

So, now, off to Gamestop again, on the hope that maybe they got a few systems in today.

EDIT: Finally, scored one at Gamestop today.  Only had to beat the shipment there by 20 minutes.

Offline ryro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 05:11:00 AM »
I've never bought a system on launch, but my wife and I have been planning to get ourselves a Wii for a late wedding present.  We saved $400 worth of Zellers/The Bay gift cards from our wedding to use for the Wii.  Zellers is a Canadian department store, they're not going to get as many in as Wal-Mart but we shouldn't have problems if we pre-order...

Unfortunately, it turned out that Zellers was only offering the pre-order as a bundle.  Wii + Excite Truck + Rayman, all at full price.  Zellers was also charging an extra twenty bucks for the Wii for some reason, but whatever - we had gift cards.  With no discount or savings as part of the bundle, I really didn't want to send an extra 120 bucks on two games I didn't want.  There were going to be lots of Wiis, right?  I don't need to pre-order, they'll get in more than enough...

Yep.  Wrong.  Two days before launch Zellers here informed me that they had only enough Wiis to fill the pre-order.  The wife suggested calling Zellers in Langley thirty minutes away.  They were going to have a whole FIVE Wii's for walk-ins.  So we figured we'd try to get there about an hour before open, have a chance.  We pull up, there's not a lot of people in the line... unfortunately, there's not a lot of people in line because the manager just gave out tickets for their five systems.  Dejected, we drove back home and got ready for work.

So began the calling.  Zellers in three different cities.  The Abbotsford Zellers got five Wiis in Monday morning, long after I went.  The next morning, I found out a half hour before work that the Chiliwack Zellers got some in.  No time to get there and back (40 minutes).  And on it went, until we basically found out that Zellers was not getting any more Wiis in anytime soon.  It looked like it might be after christmas for a Wii.  

My wife and I struck a deal.  If I found a Wii anywhere else that weekend, I could use real cash to buy the system only... and we'd use our gift cards to do our christmas shopping.  Thursday night at 8pm, we stopped by Future Shop.  There was ALREADY a line-up.  Turns out they were getting in both Wiis and PS3's the next morning.  At 5am, we woke up and joined the line, about 20 in.  It was raining slightly and quite cold, but we bundled up good.  At 6am, they were supposed to hand out tickets.  Unfortunately the employees who were there couldn't get in the store.  Finally by about 645 they handed out tickets.  Would we get one?  Please have most of the first part of the line getting PS3s...

We got one.  Oh man it felt good.  Two people later, the girl announced "We're out of Wiis, we only have PS3's left."  The line dispersed quickly.  They had 15 Wiis and 10 PS3s, and they handed out all the Wii tickets before the PS3s.  I won't deny that gave me a giddy little thrill.  We left and went back to bed, the store opened at 10am.

There was a huge line-up for Black Friday sales.  To keep things orderly, they let in the Ps3 people first to get their systems from Customer Service, and "normal" customers in as well.  The Wii folks waited outside.  The reason was "Sony people are jerks, we don't feel like dealing with their crap if they have to wait..."  For some reason it took a good thirty minutes for the 10 PS3's to get sold.  We had a good time outside making fun of some women throwing a complete temper tantrum over not being able to get a Wii, chatting with the store guys keeping the door and whatnot.  Finally, I got in, picked up my Wii, got a cheap extra warranty (I don't expect many problems from Nintendo but my eMac recently had an issue out of warranty and I don't feel like taking another chance), and went home.  I set everything up, enjoying the whole process, and then waited.  Got the wife for lunch from work and then we tried out Wii Sports.

I'm enjoying the Wii, but I asked for Zelda for christmas so I'm mildly bored.  Ironically people who don't get a Wii til after christmas will have a lot more to do with the Wii online ... but I'm still quite happy to have it within the first week.  

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 05:57:20 AM »
Oh, so we're sharing launch day stories now, are we?

I preordered.  I got there fifteen minutes before EB Games opened and was #12 out of 12 systems available.  I was out of the store in under an hour.  I strolled into the store at about 2:00 PM on launch day and had my system and Zelda waiting for me.  It was easy.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 06:04:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
I'll add my story later but I hate you guys for bringing on flashbacks.

Ok, In the beginning I was excited about the GCN and then the DS, which their was no line for.  I was definitely getting a Wii on launch day whatever it took.

As early as September I had found the first place that was taking pre-orders and put it in.  I lazily tried to snag other pre-orders.  If only I was more pro-active.

On September the 23rd I snagged a Pre-order from Sam Goody's.  I've had good luck with them and book releases.  I will shop there no more.   I got my pre-order and at the time I could just pre-order the system with $50 down.  So I did.  I kept tabs on it and one day I wanted to make sure they were getting Zelda at launch and they were at the point instead of calling me they tell me that I could not get my Wii unless I bought 2 games with it.  I was not a happy camper about that but I would play there game if I didn't have a choice.  I ask for the number of Corporate.

I called them and registered a complaint with the BBB.  Last I checked they have called me and the BBB has label the case as unresolved.

So the launch is coming closer and closer and I'm hearing rumors of a cut in shipments.   Then one day I get The Call.  Nintendo had decided to cut the shipment of Wiis to Sam Goody to nonexistance.   I no longer had one secured even though I was number 1 on the list for my store.  They asked me if I wanted to wait.  I said to keep me on the list.  I new plan of action had to be taken and then...

My wife has a deer hit her.  I have a diagram below.

I had to drop everything and drive 2 hours to where she was, its complicated, this happens to be the day before the PS3 launch.  Now with Money problems I had to get permission to by the Wii I ahve been scrimping for for months.  I got the ok and thankfully my Wife was unhurt but the car will never function again.  I scoped out the PS3 line at the local Wal*mart and knew I have to wait.

To be Continued... (Class has ended.)  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 07:17:14 AM »
The editors at PGC told me I could walk into a Wal-Mart and pick one up at noon the day after launch.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 07:34:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
The editors at PGC told me I could walk into a Wal-Mart and pick one up at noon the day after launch.

And said you were silly for pre-ordering one at Gamestop :p .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 07:49:11 AM »
After seeing how long people had waited for the Wii I did some snooping on the Friday the Wii was coming out.  It seems that at all my potential waiting spots there had already been people starting to line up.  I had one spot in particular that I had been eyeing to wait out.  Its obscurity and proximity to a bigger Wal*mart and numerouse other games outlets made it a likely target to be forgot.  I called on Friday to find out how this gig was going to work and I was informed:

Sales Lady: Walmart Electronics!
Me:  Yes I was wondering how you are handling the Wii launch.
Sales Lady:  After the PS3 launch it was decided that everyone would be allowed to wait in the Lawn and Garden Area.
Me:  Cool.  Is there anyone in line already?
Sales Lady:  Yes we have one person.
Me:  Thanks.

Thats was about 5 O'Clock on Friday.  So at that point it was decided between my wife and I that she prefer if I wait till morning.  Even though I didn't like the idea of missing cartoons I had  to have Wii one way or another.  Come 3 O'Clock in the morning and I couldn't sleep so I figured since I couoldn't sleep anyway I go wait for the Wii.  The plan was I spend the day doing Matrix Algebra homework like I needed to.  That didn't happen.  I packed up supplies and went on over. (Bookbag, DS, PDA full of Manga, you know essentials ;P )

I get to the store and find my waiting spot.  Lo and Behold there where many people their.  We could all be split into 2 groups the e-Bayers and the None.  Beyond that the lines where blurred.  Are oldest was around 40 something and he would come later.  He was buying it for himself.  Definitely a gamer much like I.  I finally find a place to settle and learn that I must be on the magical list as well.

I go seeking the bearer of the magical list.  I beleive her name was Brenda the CSM.  She was on lunch at that time and would be back in an hour.  I thank the associate for the information and went to be EBA for a little while till she had came.  Once the hour was up I was to my proper position and put my name on the magical list.  I was 14 out of 20.

To be continued... (Class is about to begin)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 11:55:12 AM »
I'm so sorry Lindermann ;_____;

My launch wasn't successful, and was actually very similar to yours.  After the whole ordeal I'm no longer buying my games from Wal-Mart, Gamestop, OR Sears.  Not that I really went to Sears anyway, but WHATEVER.

I called the night before and asked if Walmart was doing a midnight launch.  The answer was no, so I inquired about when they were opening and what their plan was.  I was told that they would open at 8:00 AM and that they would hand out tickets at 7:00 AM.  I didn't really want to get up too early, so I ended getting to walmart at six...only to find out that they had sold out an hour earlier.  EXCUUUUUSE ME?  THAT IS NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD.  Not wanting to get into an argument with the Xbox-sized walmart employee I made my way over to the nearby Target, which opened at 8 (for serious this time).  I got to the front of the building and saw maybe 15 people in line, so I was thinking I was in the clear.  As I step out of the car the guy in front asked me if I was here for a Wii.  I gave him my answer, and he responded with a chuckle.

"Good luck."

Oh ****.  I turn the corner and find myself staring at a line easily over 100 people long.  It almost reached the back of the store, which is pretty damn long.  I knew I was out of luck there, so I dashed over to Best Buy and waited for a couple more hours.  They opened at nine.  Rumors were that they only had 45 units, and after a couple counts I was put in line as number 46.  That was an hour before opening, so I obviously chose to wait it out to see if I lucked out.  It turns out, I did not.  The guy in front of me got the last one.

Not wanting to give up, I drove to a Toys-r-us that wasn't exactly close.  They opened at 10:00.  I got there about a half-hour early and missed it by a long shot.  That line was hilarious though.  Not only did the guy behind me at Best Buy end up being the guy behind me at TRU, but it was hilarious watching this one guy drive up and yell at the line: "I ONLY WANT A F****ING BABY CARRIAGE."

With hope still in my heart I went to Sears in teh mall next to Tru.  They opened at 11:00.  I waited for an hour by the door inside the mall with all the other TRU rejects, watching the store employees WALK PAST THE DOOR at least six times.  They would LOOK ME IN THE EYE and just walk away.  Apparently they just HAD to wait till 11 to tell me that they had sold their TWO UNITS to a couple of guys at 8:00.  Yes, they sold them THREE HOURS before actually opening.

I was done for the day.  My next chance was Black Friday.  I arrived at Gamestop at 4:30 AM and was about 15th in line.  Rumors were that they had 20 units.  I waited around three hours for the manager to show up, all the while watching this mysterious group at the front of the line grow and grow.  About four people cut.  The employees all arrived but once again they all chose to ignore the line.  The manager FINALLY came out and told us that they were SUPPOSED to have 20 units, but the manager told us that "due to a mishap" they only had 9.  DAMMIT.  Some old lady complained about the people who cut to the manager, who was just a complete dumb ****.  He listened to the arguments for 10 minutes and said, "Alright guys, if you're not in line, you're not in line."  And then walked into the store and NEVER WAS HEARD FROM AGAIN.  Because I left.

I ended up going to Best Buy the following sunday, waiting for four hours and getting a Wii.  Best Buy knew how to handle the line, they did it perfectly on launch day and perfectly on Sunday.  I now <3 Best Buy.

The end.      
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 12:44:59 PM »
As far as the Wal*Mart and Sears situations go, it sounds like you would have been waiting in line just to not get a Wii anyway.  Basically, it appears these two stores simply kept others from having to wait in line for no particular reason...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 01:17:27 PM »
Wait, no, Sears KEPT people waiting in line for no reason.  Even though they sold their units well before I arrived, they STILL made me and a bunch of other peopel wait till 11 to learn that they were sold out.

Walmart didn't, which I suppose was nice, but I didn't appreciate being lied to.  A bunch of guys near me in the BB line had also been told the same thing....Walmart had apparently planned to open at the regular time but opened up early because of the line.  Stores shouldn't do that.  The BB manager explained it to us when the line got all antsy and wanted to get tickets and go in early: If they did that, then other people would show up, think there was no line, wait, and then get pissed off when they were told that they had been sold early.  That's what happened to me, I was just lucky enough to catch a walmart employee out for a smoke when I arrived, otherwise I would have waited there and been REALLY pissed off come 8:00....  

Also, I was speaking to a friend of mine at school the next day and she told me how she got her Wii:  she went to walmart the night before at around 11:30 PM and they just sold her one.  WHAT IS GOING ON.  UncleBob, I blame this entirely on YOO D=
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 02:43:13 PM »
My story is pretty simple. I called both Walmarts in my town Saturday night around 10:00PM asking what the situation looked like. I was told both stores already had more people in line than they had consoles. So I went to bed.

The next morning I called all of the local stores after they opened and was obviously told they were all sold out before opening. So I didn't waste any time waiting in line.

The next few days I made a few calls and was always told they never knew when they were getting them in. So I eventually quit wasting my time with that.

Black Friday and that weekend, I didn't even bother.

Last weekend I did make a call to TRU Sunday morning and was told they had sold out before they opened so once again I didn't waste any gas or time waiting in line.

I'm not even trying any more till after Christmas. Until I can simply walk into a store and pick one up, I'm just not going to get one. I do have Zelda and an extra remote sitting on my shelf, but right now they are useless. That's alright, I've got a good 50 hours lined up with (GCN) Baten Kaitos Origins along with my DS.

Offline Antagonist

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 03:55:54 PM »
I moved to Florida from Puerto Rico (this is relevant later in the story) a little over two years ago. I am an avid PGC/NWR reader, so I knew when EB/Gamestop would begin their Wii preorders. I stroll by a local EB come pre-order day, only to be told that they had already sold all the pre-orders, fourteen in total. I was also informed that they had been sold out by noon that day, and that all the other EB/Gamestop stores in the area (about 6 in a 10 mile radius, I know, excessive) had similar pre-order numbers and were also sold out. I went ahead and pre-ordered Monkey Ball and went on my way.I was dissapointed. I had pre-ordered my Gamecube five years earlier, and it felt good to know that I had a console guaranteed. Not trusting the EB Games employee, I had my girlfriend drive me over to the EB at the mall, where I asked if they had any pre-orders. None, all sold out by noon. I went ahead and pre-ordered Zelda at this store.

A few days later, I was informed that Toys R' Us would be preordering some systems on a Sunday morning when they opened. My girlfriend had to work that morning, and not wanting to deny her a good night's rest, I decided to forego getting up around three in the morning to camp outside of the store. It was starting to look as if Wal*Mart would be my only choice (I have read/heard about how crazy Best Buy can get). Lucky for me, most of the Wal*Marts in the area were open twenty-four hours a day, so I could make the midnight launch and still get a system. Wondering if my friends in Puerto Rico had snagged a Wii pre-order, I called one of them only to find out that his local Gamestop was to recieve 36 Wiis. THIRTY SIX. Apparently Puerto Rico is some sort of videogame hub or something.

Come launch day, I forego showing up at Wal*Mart too early. I was planning on showing up around 10:00pm but recieved a call at 6:00pm from my girlfriend's friend, telling me that his younger brother called Wal*Mart and there were already about fifteen to thirty people waiting in line for a system. My heart might as well have stopped beating. I got ready, snatched up my DS, and had my girlfriend's friend drive me and his brother to Wal*Mart. We got there sometime around 6:30pm where we promptly rushed to the electronics department, only to be told that we had to wait by the gardening section on the other side of the store. We ran back and inquired about what we had to do. A nice woman, who was waiting for a Wii for her children, told me that an employee was jotting down names, and that I should have them call for her over the inter-com. I had my girlfriend call a Wal*Mart in a less populated area in town (one which none of the people I spoke with had thought of) and as of 7:00pm, had nobody waiting in line for a system.

Fifteen minutes later, the employee shows up, and my friend's brother and myself get our names on the list. I was 21 and he was 22. A later Wii count showed that they had thirty two systems in stock, but not enough Zelda titles, or Wiimotes for every system. I was relieved, and we talked with a few other people, some who had been there all day, some who had been there on and off since Monday, a full six days before launch. Around 7:30pm, we were explained how we would recieve our consoles. We would walk, single file, to the Layout counter, and would recieve our systems and games. We then had to call our rides out to the back of the store (where the Layout employe exit/entrance is) where we would recieve our systems, and would be escorted to our cars. Why all the security? Aparently, around 7:00pm, some people had tried to break into a different Wal*Mart's storage room to steal the systems.

The wait wasn't too bad. We spent about five and a half hours in line outside, and we were the only ones new to the line until about 9:00pm, when all of a sudden ten more people show up and snag the last spots on the list. They gave us all lawn chairs, drinks, sandwiches, and snacks to tide us over, and would come back every hour to check up on us. The only rule was that if we left the area (to get food, or to browse through the store), we'd be called on our contact number, and we had to be back there in five minutes. It was pretty mellow, and other than the people that had been waiting for a few days, everyone else was friendly to each other. I was surprised by the number of adults playing on DS Lites, but most everyone had one.

Incidentally, the EB Games I had preordered Monkey Ball at was in the same parking lot as the Wal*Mart I had bought my Wii, so I got the game that night, along with a nifty Monkey Ball T-shirt (since they did a Midnight launch). Oddly enough, even though they had opened at midnight, they still had 8 Wii systems in stock (people who hadn't picked them up yet). The EB Games where I had preorderd Zelda was apparently the only one in the area that had recieved extra copies of Zelda, and it was apparently swarmed by the people that had gotten their systems at midnight, so I decided to skip that one until later on Sunday.

Neither of the EB's I had been to had any Nunchuck adapters, but I did manage to snag an extra Wiimote. So far the console has been a big hit, specially with my girlfriend's mother and father. They actually considered getting one themselves! They were particularly taken with Wii Sports. I guess Nintendo is doing something right after all. I guess in the end I didn't go through much of a hassel to get my system, but for a few moments, I was afraid I'd have to wait for a few weeks to get one. Now comes the lengthy wait for SSBB...
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY?

3056 5660 0250 3451 - Antagonist

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 06:30:18 PM »
Man, I sure am stupid for pre-ordering.  
Getting up at 7 to wait in line 45 minutes, then going back to bed, that sure was tough.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 06:40:12 PM »
This is an article I wrote for my school paper detailing my Wii experience:

I arrived with my friend half an hour after midnight and there were eight people waiting in line already. With 62 units of Wii in stock, it would be a struggle to attain a Wii during that cold, cold night. Seeing my breath in the air, I was thankful I wore my warmest jacket and brought my extremely cozy sleeping bag. As we set up our "camp", unfolding our two lawn chairs at the end of the line, we grinned wildly at each other. It was going to be an interesting experience, we both knew. We brought out our Nintendo DSes handheld system and played several ravishing rounds of multiplayer Mario Kart against many of our fellow campers.

It was around this time that the line grew longer, as more and more Wii-wanting individuals showed up. To my dismay, several annoying sophomores were in line right next to me. An interesting point was when they began to argue with each other as one had laid his head on top of a banana peel the other had unceremoniously placed on his pillow. I avoided this and went to In-N-Out Burger which was a godsend. I could see the steam rise out of each fry as the sultry smell wafted in the air. The crispness of the burgers and fries was a boon onto my soul.

One factor we had not planned for was a bathroom situation. It was most unfortunate for me, because I had a sprained ankle and had to limp all the way to In-N-Out. Unfortunately, I had bought an extra-large pink lemonade... and In-N-Out closed at 2:00 A.M. I held my own though (no pun intended), while others may or may not have went to the back of Best Buy to conduct business.

It was around t his time I realized my warmest jacket may not quite be warm enough as I began to lose feeling in my arms. I snuggled into my sleeping bag to regain some warmth. It was then that I began to notice how massive the line had grown. Over 70 people were in line, many laughing with their friends while watching episodes of South Park on a laptop.

The mood of excitement died down a little bit as boredom set it. It was then I took out my guitar and began creating songs about the Wii and how “Wii want[ed] it wiilly wiilly badwii.” At first, I wasn’t sure if people could handle my “Wii Puns of Mass Destruction”, but it turned out everyone was in a light mood, laughing heartily at my little bits of silliness.

As the sun rose, people began to get even more excited (albeit in a tired way). At around 4:30 A.M. the first Best Buy employee came to prepare the store for opening. Loud cheers were heard as he opened the doors, followed by loud boos as he closed them. An hour later, even more employees showed, and began making a line of demarcation between those who would get a Wii and those who wouldn’t. The cut off was at 62 people, and many people were unfortunately turned away. But not I. I was on a Wiision (mission). An employee began taking the names of people checking I.D.’s and made sure that there was only going to be one Wii purchased per household. Those of us who remained in line then received a special ticket which had a number and our name on it. I was the magical number nine.

I asked an employee when the store would open, and he informed me that it would open around 8:30 A.M., a half an hour early. The anticipation grew to mammoth proportions, as did my need for food and a toilet. I traveled to Starbucks and I raced out with a blueberry muffin and a pumpkin spice mocha.

As I got back, time slowed to a crawl. I’m not sure if it was the caffeine or the mere two hours left, but I’m certain someone stopped my watch’s ability to tell time as it seemed frozen. The two annoying people behind me in line were shivering and struggling to find warmth in their shorts and t-shirts. I almost felt sorry for them.

As the clock struck eight, my heart began beating. We had to clear our “campsite” and we were now standing in line for our hearts’ utmost desire. My heart began to beat a little bit faster, and we all felt very anxious as the moment arrived. I began filling out precisely which games, and the amount of controllers I wanted on a pamphlet we were required to fill.

Finally the doors opened and a man beckoned the first customer in. With abated breath, we all watched as he disappeared inside the store only to come out five minutes later with a Wii held tightly in his arms like a newborn baby. We applauded the brave endeavors of this man, and he held the box up to everyone’s excitement. People were let in two by two, and finally it was my turn. I nearly cried. I was first greeted by a man whom I gave my ticket to. To my surprise, a security guard wearing a bullet-proof vest was there to make sure no one was exiting with any unpaid for items. I passed him pumping my fist to give him a nod of support. I was directed to a table on the right side of the store, and behind it were about a million Wiis (give or take 999,940). I handed them the list of my wanted items and that was when I received it. I had gotten the Wii.

After paying for it, and being asked six different times by five different people if I wanted a two year warranty plan for $39.99. Nintendo already has one of the best customer service policies around, so with a nervous smile, I replied “no” each time. As I walked out, I noticed how bright the sun had gotten. I got a handful of cheers as I was the “guy who played those funny songs.” I held my new best friend close to my heart and with a triumphant glee I shouted “Wiiiiiiii!”  

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 06:58:15 PM »
Time for an Aussie story. I might elaborate on this in some sort of gurnal form because there was more to it than just the launch, a lot of ridiculous and just plain absurd stuff.

I preordered a couple of weeks before at EB. Sunday evening rolls around and I get a call from them, "Will you be coming to the midnight launch?" The thought hadn't crossed my mind until then, as I thought I would go in and pick it up after work the day after, being much more convenient for me. I decided to go along as I hadn't done any of these silly midnight launches.

Then it hit me - midnight launches are usually chaos! I need some help to fend off the masses! So I send out word to some non-Nintendo fans to come to my aid. The promise of "heckling nerds" is a tempting prospect, especially when you have a crowd egging you on, but as the day approached people had convenient excuses.

So I met up with a friend outside EB at just after 11 to find a big line. I hadn't seen him in a month or so, and there was a lot of catching up to do in addition to making humour of the current situation. Thanks to the wonders of numbered tickets, I worked out that I was about number 30 in the line. Didn't matter to me, I had a preorder. So I lined up and passed the time catching up with my friend, talking to random people, laughing at the security guard stop someone from videotaping people lining up, laughing at the guy trying to interview people in the line, and just acting like an idiot.

I know a fair few people who work at the EB stores in my neighbourhood through school and work and drinking events, but none of them were on tonight. I managed to get a Gamecube lanyard when I got my Gamecube all those years ago because I knew both the guys working that day, but tonight there were no freebies. The manager would have loved to give us free stuff but he had nothing to give away, so instead we would be giving him our hard earned cash.

Not long after 12, I ended up inside. My friend wasn't buying a Wii and he got distracted by the figurines, so I went to get my prize. I had only ordered a Wii and Zelda, but saw that WiiPlay was bundled with an extra WiiMote. After considering (and disregarding) my terrible financial situation, I bought that as well. I had several friends wanting to find out how good the Wii is, so I figure that the extra remote means there can be twice the fun and double the number of idiots in front of a TV at any time.

But alas, this story does not have a happy ending. I've put all my stuff aside for a few days due to an exam on Saturday. So while the other Pietriots are playing hard and trading Miis like crazy on their brand new systems, mine is collecting dust for a couple of days. If I open it up now there's no chance I'll study.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 07:33:43 PM »
We were wrong! I felt the sting, even. I don't know how to make it up to everyone, but I will, I swearz it.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 09:01:16 PM »
I pre-ordered mine in September and I was told last month I wouldn't get one for launch.
After careful planning i managed to secure one at a Game store at London Bridge (i fixed it with toothpicks!), guaranteed before Christmas.
Play then email me and tell me that the can't get me Wii Play for launch either, even though that was pre-ordered in September too.

Fortunately, because of some serious diligence I have been able to secure one today before the european launch date but i will have to buy two full games. Zelda is already pre-ordered (ÂŁ31!), so it will definitely be Wii Play and probably Need for Speed. Red Steel is on it's way for December 25 (ooh how PC!) and so is Super Monkey Ball.