Author Topic: Fire Emblem 10  (Read 36058 times)

Offline silverwings07

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Fire Emblem 10
« on: May 09, 2006, 07:47:32 PM »
No topic yet for the game?

IGN has the first art and the 7 sec vid up for viewing

Looks like the sequel to 9 and was probably one of the bigger suprises for me from the conference.  The guy (who I assume is the Lord/main character) looks like a grown up Sothe. (Here's the FE9 Sothe for comparison).

The other main character/Lord I think might be a mage (light maybe?).  Also, I think she's either a new character or the child of one of the older characters in FE9 due to the first Lord being Sothe.

I thought what we saw of the graphics (i.e. cutscenes) was much more fluid and nicer than the ones for FE9.  Makes me excited for the gameplay.

So, thoughts? Comments?  I know there isn't much to go on, but as a Fire Emblem fan, I can't not talk about it. ^_^  

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Fire Emblem 10
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 08:01:56 PM »
looks good to me

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 08:27:19 PM »
Game of the show, far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, that does look sort of like Sothe. Hmmm... the girl also looks familiar for some reason.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 09:27:25 PM »
We are all in agreement. When I first saw him, I thought he was Sothe as well. The funny thing is when I was thinking of the next FE game for Cube I was thinking that Sothe should be one of the leads. As for the girl, I'm not sure who she could be. This is the game I'm looking forward to the most. I am sucker for FE and one on Wii will definately be one of my first purchases.
Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 03:10:27 AM »
It does look like Sothe; but that doesn't really mean much as much of the character art from one game to the next tends to look similar.

However, if true, it would explain why Sothe couldn't promote in PoR (the only pre-promote who couldn't).  We might also find out who the heck he was looking for.  And, IIRC, this would be the first time a thief is the main character in a FE game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 03:24:42 AM »
How do we even know Sothe is the main character? I believe Sothe will be a very important character in the game, but I don't think he'll be a Lord.

Offline silverwings07

• View Profile
RE:Fire Emblem 10
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 05:25:13 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
It does look like Sothe; but that doesn't really mean much as much of the character art from one game to the next tends to look similar.

However, if true, it would explain why Sothe couldn't promote in PoR (the only pre-promote who couldn't).  We might also find out who the heck he was looking for.  And, IIRC, this would be the first time a thief is the main character in a FE game.

Well, the reasoning for why it (with 99% accuracy) would be Sothe: Same hair, eyes, clothing style, pose & weaponry, the muffler, etc.

It would be a great way to explain why he couldn't promote (lord in hiding? related to the family of daien? from the country we didn't hear of?) and his story wasn't even touched on in the game.

Originally posted by: Terranigma Freak
How do we even know Sothe is the main character?

Well, for one he is featured in the cutscene (and looking at nine, who outside of Ike and Mist were featured in the FMVs?).  Also, he's one of the only two official art released.  Granted, Titania's art was released with Ike's when 9 was announced and she wasn't a Lord, but she was an important character.

Have we even had a FE game with only a female Lord?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 11:12:31 AM »

Have we even had a FE game with only a female Lord?
No.

I just realized something--if Sothe is in this game, that means there's a really good chance the Languz are back.  That sucks.  Hopefully Sothe travels to a far away country where the Sub-Humans aren't allowed.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 11:28:05 AM »
I didn't mind the laguz, of course I only put them in my party when it was required to unlock a new character or secret. So you could just leave them out like I did Vudu.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 11:46:47 AM »
Well duh.  

Doesn't change the fact that the suck.

Offline silverwings07

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 12:05:57 PM »
I'd like the laguz to return, I liked them a lot.   Okay, just the cats.  I found the birds to be useless (weak to magic and bows? pff) and the dragons you got too late in the game to matter and they weren't very good.  Either of them.  But I loved my Lethe/Ranulf combo for the last few chapters. ^_^

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 12:16:21 PM »
Hey, I liked them. They were fun to use and work into strategies.

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 01:15:23 PM »
Is this game playable on the show floor???? I must know!!!!

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 01:27:54 PM »

Well duh.  

Doesn't change the fact that the suck.

Suck? I left them out because they were overpowered. They certainly did not suck. They were exp hogs, I left them out so I could keep the rest of my party at a high level. Laguz were basically prepromoted power houses. Kind of like Titania without poor base stats.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 12:09:43 PM »
Hence, they suck.  If you over use them they suck all the exp from everyone else.  You'll kick some ass the beginning and middle of the game, but come the end you'll be in trouble because your core team will be much smaller and/or underleveled.  In the later levels the CPU will butcher anyone Languz that's not transformed, which basically means they'll start dropping like flies and you'll be screwed.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »
Which just adds to the challenge, far as I'm concerned. That's the price you pay for using them too much.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 01:50:53 PM »
This just reminds me that I need to get on the ball and continue playing Fire Emblem Path of Radiance.

Anyway, good news and bad news for me.  I love Fire Emblem, but RPGs wear me down.  Hopefully this is interspersed with lots of platforming/action games when it's released, so I down drag down with RPG slowness.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 05:21:27 PM »
Wasn't Sothe the level 1 thief you could find on the boat???
Wasn't the heron tribe the only people who had white hair in FE9?
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 12:44:30 AM »
This game has a February 2007 release in Japan according to this poorly translated Nintendo World webpage!

Hype hype hype! Could we get this game in the U.S. around...oh I don't know... summer 2007?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline silverwings07

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 02:03:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
This game has a February 2007 release in Japan according to this poorly translated Nintendo World webpage!

Hype hype hype! Could we get this game in the U.S. around...oh I don't know... summer 2007?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Awesome!  Though this scan, which has been around since mid-Oct., said the same.

I think the scan adds more evidence that Sothe and the mage girl (Mikaya, I think), are main characters if not Lords.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 05:27:12 AM »
I just finished Path of Radiance this past weekend.  While it was awesome, I wish they'd wait a little longer with this.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 06:01:14 AM »
Are you crazy? You must be crazy. I need Fire Emblem games, new and fresh, every hour on the hour....what? I worship the ground FE walks on....WHAT?! It's only my #4 most anticipated Wii titled (1. Brawl, 2. Zelda. 3, Loli Golf err Pangya ;x)
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006, 07:27:22 AM »
This game uses the classic controller!
DON'T BUY IT!!!!

Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006, 07:53:22 AM »
I think Fire Emblem 10 is a great exclusive that needs to get out early in Wiis life, so that it has strategy and role playing games.

Nintendo needs to really pump a variety of exclusives with their games this generation...as early as possible.

Luckily, I think they are doing that.

Within the first year of Wii we should have atleast:

1 Exclusive Fighter (Smash Brothers)
1 Exclusive Adventure Game (Zelda)
1 Exclusive War Strategy (Battalion Wars 2)
1 Exclusive Fantasy Strategy (Fire Emblem)
1 Exclusive Platformer (Super Mario Galaxy)
1 Exclusive Racer (Excite Truck)
3 Exclusive Party Games (Wii Sports, Mario Party, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves)

I think you get the idea.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2006, 08:17:42 AM »
I'm sure it's a good idea, I'm just personally fed up with RPGs.
Maybe I'll be ready for it after I beat Metroid.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006, 08:49:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
I just finished Path of Radiance this past weekend.  While it was awesome, I wish they'd wait a little longer with this.
Blasphemy!  I'm currently on my second playthrough of FE7 (Hector Mode).  I'm about to start FE6.  And I'd really like to replay FE9, but I know I won't be able to finish the 40+ hour game before the Wii comes out.

I'm really excited for FE10.  Right now my biggest fear is that the game will check your FE9 data and transfer over stats or something.  My Sothe is still at level one.    

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2006, 12:42:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
I'm sure it's a good idea, I'm just personally fed up with RPGs.
Maybe I'll be ready for it after I beat Metroid.

That makes me cry
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2006, 03:26:12 PM »
Hey vudu, I had to give up on my first attempt at HHM last week at chapter 22 (I think it was Chap. 22 - it's the chapter where you recruit Heath and Rath for the second time).  I feel like I'm under leveled... any suggestions?
Wii Friend Code: 6761 9883 7072 2526 - PM me your Wii Friend code and I'll add you. 
BWii: 429 612 278 949
MOH:H2 EA Nation username: Kenology
Endless Ocean: 1667-3301-0310
SSBB: 2964-8266-3925 - profile name = Ken

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2006, 03:45:02 PM »
So...this doesn't use the Wiimote to point and select, but instead the classic controller.

Am I the only one who is totally unable to understand that? It seems about as stupid a decision you can make. I really hope that isn't indicative of Nintendo's (lack of) imagination right now...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2006, 05:14:45 PM »
Classic controller was used as proof of concept to show that it IS possible to use it on Wii games. This is a tile-based startegy-rpg game, seriously, it could probably be played purely with the Wiimote if you wanted to.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2006, 06:34:36 PM »
Exactly, Kairon, and that's exactly how it should play. Hopefully it was just one mode, or an early build, because that game should NOT be without full Wiimote support.

Offline silverwings07

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2007, 03:47:40 AM »
Well, I guess with the official site launching, time for speculation, huh?

Seems we have a new laguz (wolf, maybe? or is that a lion still?) and another heron.

The movie clip is interesting.  Laguz are definitely fighting Bengion, which is being led by that general who aided you in Daien (but wasn't a playable character).

I guess the question is why, and how will Sothe and the girl fit in?

Also, anyone know Japanese and can translate the information from the character page?

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2007, 04:20:16 AM »
Yeah the laguz are fighting General Zelgius of Begnion and his army. There is a new wolf type of laguz as well. Sothe and his step sister, who seems to be the lord in this FE, Micaiah are from Daein. My guess is that Begnion is trying to annex Daein in its weakened state. Since Sothe and his sister are from Daein, they are probably trying to gain Daein's independence for the Begnion Empire and rebuild their shattered homeland. Supposedly, Elincia is playable as well. This is what leads me to believe that Begnion has probably over stepped their bounds in Daein. Hopefully, we can find out who the Black Knight is. A lot of players thought he was Zelgius. Maybe we will find out for certain in Goddess of Dawn.  
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline silverwings07

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2007, 09:20:30 AM »
Wow, they are step-brother and sister?  That's interesting.  I haven't played PoR in awhile, but wasn't Sothe looking for someone?  Could it be her?

It's possible that Begnion is trying to overtake the weaker Daien, but don't they also have the medallian (and the song, presumably) thanks to the conversation at the end of PoR?  I'm wondering if we're going to see Zelgius as an evil character or a gray character or what.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2007, 10:52:11 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised of Begnion is trying to retake Daien (remember both the other human states were part of Begnion), but if that's the case why the laguz?  This game is supposed to take place very close to the end of PoR, so it I don't think there is any way the laguz would be in Daien.  It simply isn't save for them there; "sub-humans" are hated by the Daiens.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2007, 11:24:04 AM »
The game takes place 3 years after POR. You can see tons of returning characters. I'm not gonna bother listing everything I know since it would take forever. This thread is badly outdated with all that's been released in the past few weeks.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2007, 01:02:06 PM »
Are all fire emblem games turn based rts's like path of radiance, or are they real rpg's?  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2007, 01:22:09 PM »
All of em are. I think.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2007, 01:24:10 PM »
Yeah, Fire Emblem combat is pretty much unchanged.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2007, 01:48:39 PM »
Ummm...how can you have a turn-based REAL TIME strategy game? The 'real time' is directly opposite to 'turn-based.'

And, does anyone know if this uses the wiimote to select or not?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2007, 04:53:03 PM »
Yeah, I think there was a scan which showed that you could use either the remote or the Classic Controller.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2007, 06:45:23 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Yeah, I think there was a scan which showed that you could use either the remote or the Classic Controller.
Don't forget the GameCube controller!

This game is going to be awesome.  Shame on all of your for pretending to look forward to this game when it's been proven that no one on this board cares about Fire Emblem.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2007, 06:47:18 AM »
Off topic, but we finally have the Swat Katz together on one thread :p .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline silverwings07

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2007, 07:23:09 AM »

This game is going to be awesome.  Shame on all of your for pretending to look forward to this game when it's been proven that no one on this board cares about Fire Emblem.

Who's pretending?  I can't speak for the rest, but this game was the 2nd reason I bought a Wii.

As for an OT reply, there was a new scan in Shonen Jump (can't find a copy at the moment).  Looks like Jill is back as well as that guy from the Tower chapter (who was experimenting on Laguz).  New mage called Pelleas and another lion laguz called Schriml were revealed.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2007, 07:51:27 AM »
I lost interest in FE:PoR and never went back, sadly.

I'm also anal retentive and won't let anyone die, so that plays into it as well.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2007, 08:09:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I lost interest in FE:PoR and never went back, sadly.

I'm also anal retentive and won't let anyone die, so that plays into it as well.

How could you lose anyone in FE9? You're playing this in English right? Only the Japanese version contains the real Mainiac Mode, while the English version contains a hyper easy easy mode.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2007, 09:22:09 AM »
I got stuck on the Raven King.

It's weird: I made sure to kill pretty much everything prior to that so my other characters could level and all. Maybe I spaced out my leveling too much?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2007, 02:33:06 PM »
You got stuck on the Raven king!? SPOILER!(I know the game has been out for a while but just in case someone hasn't played it yet)

You did bring Reyson into battle? The only way to get past that battle without losing anyone is to have Reyson talk to the Raven King. This causes the Raven King and all of his men to leave the battle.  

Offline silverwings07

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2007, 09:39:32 AM »
new scan

Elincia, Lucia, and Geoffrey are back; Lucia even got a haircut.

Also, a german website confirmed 44 chapters and use of either the classic controller, the wiimote, or the gc controller for the game.

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2007, 02:45:47 AM »

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2007, 03:58:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Darc Requiem
You did bring Reyson into battle? The only way to get past that battle without losing anyone is to have Reyson talk to the Raven King. This causes the Raven King and all of his men to leave the battle.

Figures...

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2007, 04:04:10 AM »
I hate it when the most obvious decision is the one you are most oblivious about...

Oh and to add to the FE discussion Path of Radiance was my first FE game, even though I only saw SB play it.

Despite it being a strategy RPG, it was fun and very watchable.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline silverwings07

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2007, 05:06:28 AM »

Screw new scans, I got 2 new trailers.

http://wii.com/jp/movies/fire-emblem-movie1/

http://wii.com/jp/movies/wii-cm-soft21/

Haha, someone beat me to it. :p

There are some really interesting cutscenes in both cases.  The battle animations look much better and fluid (though that could be the editing for the commercials), not to mention the quality/use of cutscenes in general looks like it's going to raise the bar.  Liked seeing the extended fight scene from E3 (sothe and mage-girl in the ruins).

Also, I do believe that's Lucia falling from the gallows in the 2nd clip? I really wonder what's going on there..

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2007, 07:04:27 AM »

Originally posted by: silverwings07
Elincia, Lucia, and Geoffrey are back; Lucia even got a haircut.
Screw all these returning characters no one cares about.  Where the heck is my Mia?  Where's my Nephenee?  Where are my Rolf, Soren, Boyd?

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2007, 12:21:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Figures...

Don't worry about it Smash_Brother. I had a similar moment in the desert dungeon of TP. It happens to us all. I just hope that you can enjoy the game now that you know how to pass that battle. I don't like to lose any of my characters either. Its part of the reason I never beat either of the GBA FE games. The GBA are much harder than PoR IMO. They still were well worth the purchase though.

BTW Silverwings, the mage-girl is Sothes' step sister. I believe she is the lord in this FE. Her name is Micaiah from what I've been able to find out.

Offline silverwings07

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2007, 01:58:24 AM »

BTW Silverwings, the mage-girl is Sothes' step sister. I believe she is the lord in this FE. Her name is Micaiah from what I've been able to find out.

Right.  Though I think I've seen it spelled Mikaya?  I will know her name by the time this game comes out. ^^;

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2007, 03:01:09 PM »
http://kotaku.com/gaming/fire-emblem/wii-fire-emblem-shuns-gimmickry-for-control-options-237204.php

Control diagram there.

I repeat, once more, am I the ONLY PERSON who sees how absurd this is? You have a game that is comprised of pointing at things and selecting them. You also have a controller that...wait for it...replicates a MOUSE. Why in $$%*#'s name would you need any control option besides the wiimote?

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2007, 02:47:34 AM »
I agree. And why isn't the DK Bong drums included? I'm not buying this game unless it includes the drums for the control scheme!!! Or what about the microphone? I would love to shout 'UP" "RIGHT" "LEFT" etc to move my characters around. It's so simple it shouldn't be excluded.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2007, 04:30:10 AM »

I agree. And why isn't the DK Bong drums included? I'm not buying this game unless it includes the drums for the control scheme!!! Or what about the microphone? I would love to shout 'UP" "RIGHT" "LEFT" etc to move my characters around. It's so simple it shouldn't be excluded.

Fire Emblem: Drums of War!!!!!

HOLY SH*T!!!!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2007, 06:49:40 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
I repeat, once more, am I the ONLY PERSON who sees how absurd this is? You have a game that is comprised of pointing at things and selecting them. You also have a controller that...wait for it...replicates a MOUSE. Why in $$%*#'s name would you need any control option besides the wiimote?
Honestly, I don't think the remote will work that well.  Fire Emblem has a lot of tiny squares on the playing field.  Selecting them by pointing with the remote could be difficult, especially if you have a shaky hand or if you're close to the sensor bar.  To add to that problem, it's not as simple as selecting a character and then selecting where he should move to--you have to choose the path where he moves.  This means you'd have to move the cursor left/right/up/down (no diagonal movements) exactly where you want to go.  While it is a novel approach, I can't help but think a D-Pad will be faster and more accurate.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2007, 07:11:10 AM »
"This game is going to be awesome. Shame on all of your for pretending to look forward to this game when it's been proven that no one on this board cares about Fire Emblem."

I, for one, have played and beat both of the Fire Emblem games released for Gameboy Advance and Path of Radiance, and enjoyed doing so.  I strove for reasonable completion, with support conversations and music and bonuses and such, but it'd take a ridiculous amount of time to get 100%, so unfortunately they're some of the few games that I haven't beat through and through.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2007, 07:29:51 AM »
Congratulations!  I've beat Blazing Sword (simply Fire Emblem in America) twice (both stories).  I skipped Sacred Stones because I heard too many bad (weak) things about it.  Sword of Seals is on my to-do list (ROM and English patch).  I also want to replay Path of Radiance because it's so flipping awesome.

Fire Emblem 10 is my #4 most anticipated Wii game (behind Super Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, and Corruption, of course).

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2007, 08:40:51 AM »

http://kotaku.com/gaming/fire-emblem/wii-fire-emblem-shuns-gimmickry-for-control-options-237204.php

Control diagram there.

I hope your not one of those ppl that prefer the stylus controls for advance wars ds.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2007, 10:06:07 AM »

Originally posted by: WuTangTurtle

Control diagram there.

I hope your not one of those ppl that prefer the stylus controls for advance wars ds.

Considering how poorly executed they were, of course not. But there's another perfect example of totally inept and LAME design. Advance Wars should've killed on the DS, but it was instead just like the first two. Nintendo is so afraid to change the game design even a tiny bit that their sequels are usually Games 1.5.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2007, 10:18:14 AM »
Because The Adventure of Link qualifies as their "Games 2.0".
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2007, 11:17:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Because The Adventure of Link qualifies as their "Games 2.0".

That's about as weak a comeback as I've seen on here in a while.

Link does qualify as Games 2.0, sure. But it didn't work. Except that LttP also qualifies as Games 2.0. Why? It adds, expands and improves. Yes it uses the same basic idea but it adds a ton. It adds story, it adds structure. It adds a whole new level with two worlds. You have more items and can manipulate the world different. It's the same basic premise but feels TOTALLY different than Zelda 1. Same with SMB to SMB3 and SMW. All the Advance Wars sequels do is add a few new units, COs and a couple modes with the occasional tweak. If they were for the PC they'd be expansion packs not sequels.

You have a game that requires selection. Using a pointer is infinitely more useful than using a d-pad/analogue stick. Anyone trying to browse the internet with the PS3 and the Wii knows this. But in order to really make it work you need to slightly change the graphics and, the key, change the UI. With a new, slicker interface Advance Wars would've been twice as intuitive on the DS. Same with Fire Emblem. But for some reason these "series" Nintendo sequels almost never seem to go there. It's like they take the old code and modify it instead of sitting down and saying "We have this concept, we have this world, we have this basic gameplay. How do we make it better?" and starting fresh.

I love Nintendo and I love their emphasis on innovation. But for some reason they purposely ignore it out of laziness in the easiest and most obvious places. I'm sure FE Wii will be very good. I'm also sure it would be a lot better if they're dared themselves to try something fresh.  

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2007, 12:41:30 AM »
tl;dr
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2007, 04:52:50 AM »
I think maybe Intelligent Systems is to blame.  They seem to be good at coming up with a new game, but not so good at going different places with it afterwards.

Super Paper Mario begs to differ.

Darnit, why did you have to go and make me look stupid before the post was even finished?

I just love to drive you crazy.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2007, 04:59:41 AM »
I'm so psyched for this game it isn't even funny.  So is there a tentative U.S. release date yet?  When is/was it released in Japan.  Sorry for the questions, but I really have been under a rock for the past month.
Wii Friend Code: 6761 9883 7072 2526 - PM me your Wii Friend code and I'll add you. 

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2007, 04:59:46 AM »
Ah.
When avatars come to life.

I do have to say thinking back Adventure of Link I think had more influence then maybe everyone likes to believe especially in the 3d Realm.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2007, 05:04:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Ah.
When avatars come to life.

I do have to say thinking back Adventure of Link I think had more influence then maybe everyone likes to believe especially in the 3d Realm.

True indeed.  In fact, many of Link's moves in SSB/SSB:M and Soul Calibur 2 were based off of Zelda 2.

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2007, 06:36:38 AM »

You have a game that requires selection. Using a pointer is infinitely more useful than using a d-pad/analogue stick

I think you put a little too much faith into the wiimote's pointer function. Sure, it's preferable for basic things, but it's a little too twitchy for precise aiming. I can see that being a problem for any lengthy list. Not impossible, just an annoyance when you have to focus hard on selecting option number 6 out of a list of 10, and your aim keeps slipping. Analogue sticks make scrolling much easier.

The only way I could see it working is if they made the selections in the game buttons with huge areas. But that would be equally annoying with how restrictive it would be. Heck, even now I have to slow down and focus when I want to select a WiiSports game or I'll slip and hit boxing, and I generally have a pretty steady hand.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2007, 04:56:25 PM »

I think you put a little too much faith into the wiimote's pointer function. Sure, it's preferable for basic things, but it's a little too twitchy for precise aiming.
Heh. I wonder, have you played a round of the shooting gallery in WiiPlay? The precision is frighteningly good.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2007, 07:44:16 PM »
that may be but 100% precision and speed is better.  It's why the only time i have ever used the stylus in a game like Advance wars is when im cooking or surfin the net at the same time.  I'm not saying they shouldn't make a wiimote control option as I would love to surf the net and when it is my turn play fire emblem.  What can i say sometimes i like to multitask, even if both of them are not very productive

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2007, 06:40:42 AM »
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn compatible with Path of Radiance save

Apparently Goddess of Dawn is able to interact with your saved game from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance on the Cube. If you plug the memory card into the Cube slot on your Wii, you will get a bonus in Goddess of Dawn. Apparently, you will only get this bonus if you completed Path of Radiance.
Apparently, you shouldn't throw out your PoR save file just yet.

I hope this means I don't have to go back and beat the game again using Sothe in order to get something cool in GoD; I don't think I used that punk once during PoR.

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2007, 06:44:18 AM »
I hope it's something like a bonus minor character or something else that won't directly impact the game and how well you enjoyed it. Because I never beat PoR.

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2007, 09:40:17 AM »
Just so you know, an insane amount of heavy spoiler information has already been leaked online.

1. The game is actually split into 4 different parts. Each chapter is about as long as a single map in Fire Emblem 4.

2. Some "characters" will be returning. DO NOT look at the links below if you don't want to be spoiled.

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/1051/read67445sm2.jpg
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/466/read67446tu3.jpg
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/2148/read67447od4.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4074/read67442ks9.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1487/read67441ke1.jpg

New Character: http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5754/1171988829522vf0.jpg

3. An insane plot twist has been confirmed.

4. The Great Knight class returns.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2007, 02:41:06 PM »
And IGN says that there's no Wiitmote pointing. There goes my purchase of this game. I'll happily buy sequels but I won't buy effortless rehashes.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2007, 08:53:01 AM »
Don't believe everything you read online.  In the diagram you linked to up above it shows the remote being used as a pointer.

New video of Goddess of the Dawn showcases players using the classic controller to plan their attacks.
Yea!  So a video shows one of the four control schemes and now suddenly the other three don't exist anymore?  This is stupid.

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2007, 10:17:45 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcjqc7tdaAo

The REAL full intro from the game.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2007, 12:11:48 PM »
Damn that was pretty sweet.  I have to remember to finish Trail of the Blue Flame (Path of Radience) one of these days.  I imported it right when it was released in Japan back in the summer of 2005 then got over half-way through it, but then I stopped for some reason and haven't played it since.

Oh wait now I remember, I stopped when my imported copy of Dance Dance Revolution with Mario arrived, then I bought a DS because it had that sale where you could buy the Blue DS and get Mario 64 DS for free.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
I just finished Path of Radiance last night.  I spent as much time on it as I did with Twilight Princess.  It is overall - a solid title.  I would give it an 8.5 out of 10.  It falls short on the side of presenting the story.  There are very few animation scenes and too much text to read.  The story is solid, but it needs to be presented with some flair.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline silverwings07

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »
Nice opening.

I have to wonder if the battle clip is from something in the present or in the past (didn't those two countries fight a war in the backstory of PoR?).  Also, anyone catch the sleeping girl?  Was that the girl from Bengion (umm... Sayaka?)? O_o

I couldn't catch any of the stills as they sped by.  Any new confirmations there?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2007, 12:52:01 PM »
IGN has confirmed the controls have zero waggle. WAY TO PHAIL NINTENDON'T!

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2007, 04:20:31 AM »

I don't think I used that punk[Sothe] once during PoR.

You missed out.  Sothe got sick even though he couldn't class change.  He put Volke to shame.

Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Koekoenutt

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2007, 07:39:22 AM »
Gametrailers has a pretty nice preview up on the new Fire Emblem. Gets me excited for when it will actually come out. I like Gametrailers for the most part, besides their laggy site and community that comments. Here's the Link for anyone who is interested. It's March 8th's Preview.
My Game IGN Game Collection List

Nintendo Wii Code: 4255-0170-3378-8998

Tetris DS: 370317-922331
Mario Kart DS: 060219-722474
Clubhouse Games: 3479-8100

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2007, 10:42:03 PM »
What, seriously? In all seriousness? Does it just not have enough vacuous online features for you lackwitted poltroons?

Has nobody else bought this game? I'm picking it up in a few hours...

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2007, 02:07:29 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
What, seriously? In all seriousness? Does it just not have enough vacuous online features for you lackwitted poltroons?

Has nobody else bought this game? I'm picking it up in a few hours...

I love Fire Emblem, but it just isn't worth $50. Once it sees a price drop I will gladly pick it up. I'm still trying to finish the Cube one anyhow.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2007, 03:11:16 AM »
I say it is. I picked SMG up at the same time but I'm more excited about this game. Haven't touched SMG yet.

Initial thoughts: mmm, Fire Emblemy goodness. This game seems harder than Path of Radiance... or maybe I'm just rusty. The opening cinematic is absolutely gorgeous. What's more, cutscenes have subtitles. There goes my biggest complaint about the last game. This one is better by default.

If you're buying this game, be aware there's a glitch where your clear data won't transfer if you have any easy mode (red) FE:PoR save on your card.  

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2007, 06:00:50 AM »
Paladin fear not. I've been too engrossed by the game to come back and talk about it heh. Currently on either Chap 7 or 8 I forget which. This game has me wrapped around its pinky. I too have desired this far more than Galaxy (But not more than Brawl...I need Brawl. 1. Brawl, 2. FE, 3. Galaxy). It's amazing so far and I can't wait to see how many loose ends of Path of Radiance it ties up. But I've said enough, must paly more.
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2007, 06:19:00 AM »
I'll be picking up the game sometime early next year.  I love Fire Emblem, but I have to wait until I beat Galaxy and Zack & Wiki.

Besides, I need to give it some time to let the Internet figure out which characters are good and which aren't.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2007, 06:56:03 AM »
Could someone confirm to me if the rumor is true the put the Gamecube game on there as well?  If so I may eventual pick this up.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2007, 07:26:59 AM »
I got this game last week when it came out, I unpacked it but haven't even started playing it...I still have the FE:PoR to finish anyway.

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2007, 12:51:38 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
I got this game last week when it came out, I unpacked it but haven't even started playing it...I still have the FE:PoR to finish anyway.

Same here.  I just replayed PoR on Hard to refamiliarize myself with the story.  Probably won't get to RD until winter break.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2007, 10:42:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure that rrumor was debunked, Ceric. Too bad, as I sold my copy of PoR, but wouldn't necessarily mind playing it again for a primer.

If I were going to buy it, though, I'd buy Galaxy this week at Toys R Us, get the $25 GC, then go back next week and pick up FE, BWii, and RE:UC during the "Buy two Wii games get one free" sale, while using the $25 GC from the week before. That's about as good a deal as I've seen in a long time.  
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2007, 04:39:20 PM »
This game just keeps getting better. I love seeing my favorite characters return.

I've been playing it every day since I got it. Mario who?

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2007, 06:55:16 PM »
I am thinking of picking this up tomorrow.  My biggest gripe with the first game was that Id play a mission for an hour and right when I was about to win someone would die and I would have to start ALL OVER AGAIN to do it.  I heard now the game autosaves every turn so that if someone died you could just rewind it back one turn, is this true?

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2007, 12:55:39 AM »

Originally posted by: darkheart
I am thinking of picking this up tomorrow.  My biggest gripe with the first game was that Id play a mission for an hour and right when I was about to win someone would die and I would have to start ALL OVER AGAIN to do it.  I heard now the game autosaves every turn so that if someone died you could just rewind it back one turn, is this true?

Yeah.  And I think that sucks.  Fire Emblem = a bit less hardcore anymore FTL.

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2007, 02:59:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Kenology

You can play the Japanese version, or Hard Mode in the English version. You can't save every turn in Hard Mode. The Japanese version is uncensored... in difficulty that is.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2007, 03:55:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Kenology

Well to be honest, with school and work I dont have time to be a harcore gamer anymore.  When I was a kid growing up I had all the time in the world but I can't do that anymore.  I barely finish games anymore as is, so the feature is welcome to me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2007, 08:49:50 AM »
decisions decisions decisions, I'm gonna get 3 games today and I'm not sure what to get.
I am getting RE: UC and Zack & Wiki for sure, but I can't decide on which game to get for free; MP:C or FE

I've never played a FE game before, but have wanted to for a long time, and I'm sure I could lend Z&W to a friend in trade of MP:C.
So which one should I choose?

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2007, 12:11:09 PM »
Get Fire Emblem and play Metroid Prime 3 through the good 'ol barter system.  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2007, 12:22:26 PM »
its been done

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2007, 07:44:15 PM »
Meg is my new favorite Fire Emblem character.  
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2008, 03:10:59 PM »

Originally posted by: ReverendNoahWhateley
Meg is my new favorite Fire Emblem character.

My sarcasm detector says you're lying.  I had to bench her after her first fight... though she does get some love for being Brom's daughter.  I like Brom.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2008, 05:35:38 PM »
Ah, man.. no way.  Meg's saved a few of my other party members' butts a few times.  She can take a slight beating, and she only gets stronger as you continue to level her.  Class changing her opens up a new can o' worms, too.  She's a good party member -- don't bench her.

I have to say so far...  Edward and Leonardo are my two favs.  Leonardo as a Sniper is nasty, nasty stuff.  
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2008, 07:04:28 PM »
Man, too late.  But what you just said makes me wanna ask you some questions... how the hell do you spoiler text on this forum!?

I like Edward too, but I feel like I didn't get enough time with that 1st unit.  If I knew they were gonna snatch them away from me, I would've done a few things differently.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2008, 07:38:19 PM »
[ spoiler ] [ / spoiler ]

psst, take out the spaces
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2008, 08:11:52 PM »
Heh, actually, I meant more from a character design sorta perspective.  She's one of the few video game heroines that isn't a waif.  I also like her funky orange armor, very Jim Henson-esque.  Actually, my favorite character is probably Haar, who was my favorite from the last game too.  He looks cool AND he's a potent fighter (at least, he is in my game).  I'm also a fan of Ulki, mostly because of his design.
able.

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2008, 08:39:13 AM »

Originally posted by: DAaaMan64
[ spoiler ] [ / spoiler ]

psst, take out the spaces

Thank you, sir.  You are the man.

I bumped this thread because I just started playing this game a week ago.  The story is so good that I can't put it down 'cause I have to see what happens next.  Just when I thought things couldn't possibly get more interesting, the Greil Mercenaries in league with the Laguz Alliance are about to have it out with the Dawn Brigade, which is now Daein's army which answered the call of Begnion.  Holy ish, this just keeps gettin' better.

@ ReverendNoahWhateley - Haar is a BEAST.  I regret not using him in my Hard mode playthrough in Path of Radiance.  

The only thing that bothers me is that Brom's E-level sword using ability is still in Radiant Dawn.  I wish they did that for other characters as well.  It would be really nice if Soren still had his post promotion, staff using ability (choosing knives was useless IMHO)... or if Oscar could use the bow and arrow (or sword).

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2008, 09:16:35 PM »
Also, is it just me or was Lethe powered down a bit?  In Path of Radiance, she was an absolute monster, but now, she doesn't seem nearly so ferocious.  Not that I mind really; she was actually TOO powerful at times in the previous Fire Emblem (she seemed to be to me, anyway).
able.

Offline silverwings07

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2008, 11:54:37 PM »
I actually felt that the laguz overall were nerfed from 9.  I thought the ability to select when they transform was hit or miss and that the meter filled up too slowly and decreased too quickly.

The hawks/ravens, though, are still awesome.  It's a shame Naesela no longer has his ranged ability, though.

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2008, 07:44:30 PM »
I too dig the birdfolk.  I forgot her name, but it's too bad you aren't able to level up the crow lady you receive with Maurim and Tormod.  She was available for only a scant few levels.

I hate to go back and change my mind yet again, but my favorite character MIGHT BE Duke Oliver.  Recruiting him was perhaps the most surprising moment in any of the Fire Emblem games.  He's such an unpleasant, reprehensible fellow that I never would have expected to be able to recruit him.
able.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem 10
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2008, 01:02:45 AM »
I've got this game for rent via GameFly.  It isn't bad but it isn't perfect.  The dialog sucks, it so stereotypical. It's boring and dumb.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2008, 02:47:16 AM »
Okay the story is finally getting interesting.  Glad for that.  That last mission I did, rescuing the prisoners, was nearly difficult.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2008, 08:03:04 PM »
DAMN! I just beat Part 1, this story was actually awesome, I am scared to say I love this game!

Frozen Shoe Games

« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2008, 03:17:07 AM »
Once you become addicted to Fire Emblem, you start appreciating the frustrating challenge of some levels instead of hating it. 
able.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2008, 03:42:16 AM »
Frustrating challenge makes me cry though. I doin't want to be in that type of abusive relationship.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
Once you become addicted to Fire Emblem, you start appreciating the frustrating challenge of some levels instead of hating it. 

I put the game on my purchase list so I can beat part 2 & 3 later. I returned the rental for now.  Recommenced, except for Kairon.

Frozen Shoe Games

« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2008, 11:22:27 AM »
The thing is, I'm not normally very good at video games, despite all the time I put into them.  I haven't even beaten Super Paper Mario, because I'm bewildered by that level where you have to find an apple to wake Peach.  There is just something about Fire Emblem that keeps me coming back, even when the stages seem absurdly difficult.

Perhaps someday they'll make an online Fire Emblem, with character creation options.  That would be delicious.
able.

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2008, 04:52:02 PM »
There is just something about Fire Emblem that keeps me coming back, even when the stages seem absurdly difficult.

It's the bit of crack that Intelligent Systems sprinkles on every Fire Emblem cartridge and disc they create.

Perhaps someday they'll make an online Fire Emblem, with character creation options.  That would be delicious.

Ever since the first FE they released for the GBA, I've always hoped they would include a multiplayer mode with a create a character option.  Something along the lines of Baseball Simulator (SNES) team creation mode with a point system.  It would go something like this:

-Create a team of 10 characters.
-Assign a class to each character (mage, fighter, swordsman, knight, ect.) *Each team can only have a total of 2 horseback units (flying or ground)*
-Promote one character to the leader of the group.  The Leader would be promoted and get stat bonuses and could choose a special ability from a list.
-Everyone has a base set of stats that you can add points to from a large pool that the entire team shares.  Certain classes have caps on stats just like in the game.  The stats would include HP, all attributes, and Weapon Mastery.
-To make your team unique, players get to add 2 bonuses to the team like "Super Strength", "Health Nuts" or "Filthy Rich" which would increase the amount of points you start with in those categories.
-Next would be purchasing weapons and items.
-Finally, name all of your characters and give them a team name with a symbol/logo.

The game would be playable online and teams would earn experience for victories and losses.  After so much experience is gathered, the team would go up in rank.  Teams would start at "E" rank and can promote up to "S" rank.  Each new rank would add a small amount of points to distribute to the entire team again.

Once your team reaches "C" rank, you could promote a different team member to his/her next class.  You could promote another member at "A" rank and your original hero promotes to his/her final class when your team reaches "S" rank.  The rank system would only allow ranks to compete against one rank higher or lower than the team rank.  "C" ranked teams could challenge "D", "C", or "B" ranked teams only.  "S" ranks could only fight other "S" ranked teams.  Players should be allowed to save up to 5-6 different teams.

Maps can be fought on randomly chosen balanced maps or user created maps.  The game should allow for players to trade maps with friend codes or download them from a hub site.

If done right, the game would have almost unlimited replay value and create a competitive online scene.  By making players spend points from a pool, they can create a variety of different teams to suit their own personal tastes.  Even if you create a mage heavy team the way you distribute your points could be completely different from the way I did.

It will so never happen, but a man can dream can't he?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 04:54:19 PM by bosshogx »
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2008, 04:43:58 AM »
It's a funny thing you brought up a points-based character creation system for Fire Emblem, because I was talking about that very thing with a friend of mine a couple of days ago.  Thing is, it'd be a fairly simple game to make by modern standards, and it'd probably attract a larger than usual audience for a Fire Emblem game.

One of my favorite games of the previous generation was Gladius.  Did you ever try it?
able.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2008, 04:52:37 AM »
I wonder if that's something they'd do on the DS. Nintendo has said that they want to keep the main Fire Emblem series on consoles for now, but we're getting a remade old one on the DS, so maybe this is the kind of side story they might do on the DS.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2008, 09:58:56 AM »
One of my favorite games of the previous generation was Gladius.  Did you ever try it?

Had to google that one and read up on it.  I do remember playing it in the game store I used to work at a long time ago.  As I recall, I played it for about an hour and the one thing that stuck out was the pacing of the game was really slow.  Maybe that was just the training mode or what not, but it didn't grab me right away and take me away on a Roman adventure.

That's probably an unfair thing to say coming from someone who likes FE games, but it's just the way I felt.  Typically FE games start slow as well, but something about it grabbed me and the rest is history. 

Looks as though we have a case of another good game lost to the annals of time due to bad marketing, poor release timing, or being too niche for it's own good.  :(
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2008, 06:10:48 AM »
The first couple of hours of Gladius aren't as good as the rest of the game, because you don't have access to some of the more enjoyable classes or character abilities.  The graphics are ugly by any standard, but there are a lot of classes, skills, and customization options that make up for it.  Eventually, it becomes an addicting mesh of Fire Emblem and Super Mario RPG.
able.

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2008, 11:16:18 PM »
Looks as though we have a case of another good game lost to the annals of time due to bad marketing, poor release timing, or being too niche for it's own good.  :(
Not only did we lose it, but I think it was one of the last straws for LucasArts putting out original games; since then, it's all been Star Wars. (Not even Indiana Jones; they've been outsourcing all of those.)
Grr. Argh.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2008, 01:38:34 AM »
Most of the big recent Star Wars games were outsourced too, Factor 5 did the Rogue Squadron games and  BioWare did KOTOR, and I don't know who did LEGO Star Wars but it wasn't LucasArts. The Force Unleashed is the first big Star Wars game from LucasArts in a long time (maybe even since X-Wing and TIE Fighter).
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2008, 02:50:37 AM »
Most of the big recent Star Wars games were outsourced too, Factor 5 did the Rogue Squadron games and  BioWare did KOTOR, and I don't know who did LEGO Star Wars but it wasn't LucasArts. The Force Unleashed is the first big Star Wars game from LucasArts in a long time (maybe even since X-Wing and TIE Fighter).

Lego Star Wars was done by Travelers Tales if I'm not mistaken.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »
The Force Unleashed is the first big Star Wars game from LucasArts in a long time (maybe even since X-Wing and TIE Fighter).
I know they've doen dev work at least as recently as 2005, with Republic Commando. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved right from that to The Force Unleashed, though...
Grr. Argh.

« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2008, 10:18:37 AM »
And to be frank, I'm kind of bored of Star Wars altogether.  From a creative standpoint, it feels like the Star Wars universe has been mined for every gold nugget it can cough up.  And even a few not-so-gold nuggets.

No offense to any Star Wars fans out there.  But you know things are out of hand when the hum of a lightsaber on television is more common and banal than the sound of your neighbors revving up a leaf blower.
able.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2008, 12:43:12 PM »
Don't worry, Indiana Jones Episode 5 & 6 on their way.  Lucas will add his new-age touch to even more 80s franchises, even ones he has nothing to do with.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ATimson

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2008, 03:43:17 PM »
From a creative standpoint, it feels like the Star Wars universe has been mined for every gold nugget it can cough up.  And even a few not-so-gold nuggets.
I'm not entirely sure that I agree that it's been mined for all the gold, but certainly the current staff at LucasFilm Licensing have played out the few veins they've been mining.
Grr. Argh.