Author Topic: Soccer Discussion: 1.67% Chance of Being the Best Thread on the NWR Forums  (Read 230366 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
John Brooks was one of the choices people criticized most, and I doubt they'll be doing that anymore. Being a Sounders fan I'd love to see DeAndre Yedlin do something along those lines.

I am, for whatever reason (not just the name, but it helps), a big Mix Diskerud fan. injuries forced Klinsmann's hand or else I figure we'd have seen him tonight. And of course we've got the 19 year old who's been tearing up the German fourth division in there as well.

Still, neither of them are real forwards, and Deuce is going to need someone to work with. I like Johannsson, but I don't think he's ready for this, and I've never been sold on Wondo's ability at the international level. It''d be really, really nice to have Terrence Boyd right about now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
You know, I've been saying Terrence Boyd, but what this team really needs right now is Eddie Johnson. He's been there, he's done that, he's got the right kind of cockiness and the proper skillset to play Jozy's role.

J.P. Corbran

Yup, Johnson would be my preference as well. It should be interesting to see how Klinnsman approaches this. Also, does it make me a bad person if I hope Croatia beats the living tar out of Mexico? I mean I can root for the other CONCACAF teams, but there's no way I can root for El Tri.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I can't bring myself to actually root for Mexico. Best I can do is not be upset when they win. I'd really like to see Costa Rica continue their run, though. Nice to see CONCACAF having taken a higher percentage of possible points than any other federation. Maybe that'll shut up some of the people who **** all over it, but I doubt it.

J.P. Corbran

Im puling for the Ticos and Honduras as well. Mexico along with Brazil and England are the only three that I am actively rooting against. Hoping Costa rica beats Italy tomorrow!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
This may not be fair to Chris Wondolowski, but I can’t shake the feeling that starting him vs. Portugal would be equivalent to starting Shalrie Joseph vs. Portland.

J.P. Corbran

Gutted....We were so so so close.....I know it's far from the end of the world, but man we had it.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
I don't want to linger too much on the bad things in this game because it was great. But man...Wondo stopping near the box instead of going straight to the corner flag, Yedlin inexplicably delivering a cross instead of going straight to the corner flag. And Bradley's costly turnover.

That being said I still think the US will move on, and will play Germany pretty good.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
If you'd have told me at the half that the game would end in a 2-2 draw I'd have absolutely taken it, but to end that way after how the game played out was an awful feeling. Thankfully the odds are pretty good they'll get through anyway; even if they lose to Germany there's probably close to a 50-50 chance of getting in via tiebreakers or whatnot.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
The support group for blowing advancement in the last minute meets Tuesdays at 7. Punch and pie will be provided.

As a neutral party, I'm hoping for scorelines of 3-2 Germany and 4-0 Portugal on Thursday.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The way Portugal's been playing I think the chances of them both scoring 4 goals and giving up none are pretty remote, and I seriously doubt the US or Germany will play aggressively enough for that score line either.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Yeah, I know. I'm just rooting for maximum chaos and that combo of scorelines would lead to drawing of lots.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
... even if they lose to Germany there's probably close to a 50-50 chance of getting in via tiebreakers or whatnot.
Do you really think the US World Cup luck would put us on the Winning Side of a 50-50?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Klinsmann, when asked about possible collusion between the US and Germany, said the US plays hard to win all the time even when they don't need to, pointing out that Mexico wouldn't be in this World Cup if not for that, which is a great argument and an even greater unnecessary shot at Mexico.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Jesus Cristo Suarez just bit someone again.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Guess he likes al dente.

Seriously though, ban the m-f already.
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The guy scored a dozen more goals than anyone else in England last year. He clearly doesn't need to bite anyone to be successful. It's just something he enjoys doing from time to time.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Amazing games so far. I can't believe the teams that have been kicked out so far.

Year of the Latin Cup?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
It's been the year of the Western Hemisphere, with not only South American teams doing well but CONCACAF on the verge of sending three of four representatives into the round of 16.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Wait, Tomorrow Portugal and USA play at the same time.  Does that mean we'll know if we advance shortly after we play?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
If the US wins or draws against Germany they're through regardless of what happens in the other game, and if they lose there are complicated tables out there outlining all the possibilities.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
I'm going to ask the boss if we can set our national news monitoring TV station to "important news that will impact the nation" tomorrow. I know there is little hope for US but I will still hope.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
You could always give this a shot.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Did Jurgen actually right that?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
The lettering is too consistent to not be a font.

I'm sure he approved it though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.