Author Topic: Mafia 87: Harvest Moon - Seasons of Mafia Town. Year 1.  (Read 14005 times)

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 87: Harvest Moon - Seasons of Mafia Town. Day 1.
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2021, 05:08:17 PM »
Howdy, folks! A. Flea, here. So good to be here in Shady Village! Mayor Khushrenada's brochures made it seem like the place to be! And so welcoming! Offering free crops to get a farmer started! They'll be food around the corner in no time!!

Mayor Khush, I'll have peaches and morning glories for my first crops. Thank ye!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2021, 05:34:04 PM »
un-Vote MASB

Stay away from my granddaughter you hairy bug!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:24:44 PM by Mop it up »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2021, 06:09:52 PM »
Would anyone like some nice refreshing Joja Cola?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2021, 07:15:29 PM »
I know I started the no vote bandwagon in the game last time because I wasn't sure. But I don't see no voting as a thing in this game. The rules are always different in these things. I hate it when in some games if you don't vote then you get eliminated.

I should have voted out Mop_it_up in the last game given the ultimate results.

But, Considering how early I got eliminated in the last game I don't like the idea of voting out seasoned players on the first day over some crazy tradition. Since, the first day really doesn't matter I'm going to join Mop_it_up and un Vote Masb
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:39:22 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2021, 07:37:26 PM »
 ;D Red roses for chef, yep, yep, yep. :D Anything colored red is what I love. ;D Why is this  ???

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2021, 07:47:04 PM »
I know I started the no vote bandwagon in the game last time because I wasn't sure. But I don't see no voting as a thing in this game. The rules are always different in these things. I hate it when in some games if you don't vote then you get eliminated.

Yes, I do understand the complaint of how rules can change between games. When I was writing up the roles, I figured I better be specific and mention that the Detective cannot save or stack up investigations. Normally that's always been the case but the last two games I did I offered that wrinkle. Now for this game, I felt like I had to clarify that point in case it gets asked. Since the goal was to make this game closer to an earlier and simpler game of Mafia, I decided to leave out the No Vote rule as just a way of further "uncomplicating" things. Yet, I may bring it back for the next game.

I suppose I'm just always tinkering away and trying to include options that I feel players would appreciate. That's why I've pretty much stopped including the voting requirement for a game. The purpose was to cut out some dead weight if players weren't showing up as that could often help the Mafia achieve an easy victory. As annoying as it can be to have absent players, I've come around to the belief that it is up to the player's to put pressure on those staying inactive or eliminating that inactive player themselves. A voting requirement is something I don't think I'll be bringing back but I still mention that there isn't one in my Announcement post for Day 1 when starting the game just to make it clear.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2021, 08:07:33 PM »
How could I not grow racoons? Such an exotic animal!

I'll take a Panda.  Everyone loves Panda's and after I've breed a few, will pay me big bucks to see them.

Well, I suppose if the Trash Panda has already been taken then a regular Panda is an acceptable consolation prize....

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2021, 08:12:00 PM »
When's the county fair here?  My wife's makes a mean apple pie, and we'd love to find the local orchard to start pickin.

Good news! We have a Sunshine Festival happening in six days! I hope you and the Mrs. can make it and she can pack that pie. I'm salivating at the thought of it already. Perhaps check in with MKBungle. I believe he was mentioning some interest in developing an apple orchid.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2021, 08:13:25 PM »
I could sell you sunflowers for half of the price that loser Khushrenada is offering them for. I bet he works for Pierre's or something. This is why you should all shop at Joja Mart instead. Let this be a lesson for all of you!

You can do half of free? How is that possible?  :o

Also, I went to Joja Mart and all I got was this lousy ten-percent mark-up on fertilizer.....  >:(

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2021, 08:22:08 PM »
I could sell you sunflowers for half of the price that loser Khushrenada is offering them for. I bet he works for Pierre's or something. This is why you should all shop at Joja Mart instead. Let this be a lesson for all of you!

You can do half of free? How is that possible?  :o

Clearly you have not mastered the art of capitalism like we have. This is why we're the megacorporation that's taking over everything and you're the mom and pop shop that failed so hard the only place that would take you is a place called Mafia Town.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2021, 08:24:25 PM »
un-Vote ThePerm

Flattery will get you nowhere with me! I know you schmoozers are after just one thing!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:05:18 PM by Mop it up »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2021, 08:39:53 PM »
So I read the rules for this game a couple times and I still don't feel like I have any idea what's going on, which seems fun. I guess I'll pick oranges and the boot from the big list if I understand the rules for that correctly.

As for the vote, I always hate the first day. Seems like Mop it up is getting the focus but I don't know if I want to jump on that just yet. Anyone else have any theories?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2021, 09:05:01 PM »
un-Vote Insanolord

You hoodlums can't fool me, you know exactly what's going on!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:15:50 PM by Mop it up »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2021, 09:19:51 PM »
I wish I knew everything that was going on. This is a pretty convoluted game and I've been distracted by other things the last few days, so my confusion here is genuine. I probably just should have gone full troll like Khush did with my MLS game when he started spamming NewsRadio gifs.

J.P. Corbran

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2021, 10:01:49 PM »
So I read the rules for this game a couple times and I still don't feel like I have any idea what's going on, which seems fun. I guess I'll pick oranges and the boot from the big list if I understand the rules for that correctly.

Hey! You're getting it!

I wish I knew everything that was going on. This is a pretty convoluted game

...or not...

As convoluted as I may make a game seem by trying to get ahead of things and cover all scenarios, I also can break it down to make it simple to understand. So let's break it down in into 4 things.

First of all, this game is currently just a game of Townies vs Mafia. There is no third force like a Killer right now. A Killer could join later but right now it is simply about trying to vote out the Mafia while the Mafia is trying to make the Townies sabotage themselves. Simple and the basis of most games.

Second, I believe you should also be able to see that (ignoring the Jamie role right now) the roles are pretty simple and the usual for a lot of games. The only special ability the Mafia has is their hit, the detective can investigate one player per day and the doctor can protect someone at night. The only traditional role I've tweaked is that the Vigilante no longer dies if they make a hit on a Townie instead of a Mafia member like past games. Instead, the Vigilante loses their Townie status and becomes a Killer. If that happens, then they are just the traditional Killer role with the ability to make a hit each night.

I hope all of that makes sense to you and isn't causing any questions.

The confusing part is likely the Jamie role. I'll break that down now in a couple parts.

First, the Jamie role is similar to some other past roles like a "brother/sister" role in which two townies know each other's identities and can work with each other in the game but also have the drawback that both are eliminated if one gets taken out of the game. The difference here is that the brother/sister aren't partnered at the start of the game. Instead the two players become partnered later on in the game. Because Jamie can partner with another player later, that other player may or may not have a role. I've listed the benefits of what each partnership can be but, for the most part, you can just ignore all of that. The only thing that should be of interest is looking up what would happen if Jamie partners with you (and the role you have this game) to see what benefit that would bring both of you. When the partnership happens, I will mention which role Jamie has ended up partnering with so that all players are aware and you could then check the list to see that specific partnership's details as well. Right now Jamie is on the townie side but that could change depending on the partnership that gets made later (if a partnership even happens).

I hope that is clear and easy to understand.

That just leaves explaining about how Jamie and another player can partner with one another. That's where the "Goods For Your Farm" list comes in. It's basically just a lottery like trying to find the Golden Ticket in Wonka bars. There's 146 bars and only 5 of them are winners. There are restrictions to keep one player from just selecting all the bars and giving everyone a chance but even if you don't understand the restrictions, I'll be reminding players of when they can choose from the list and how much. That's all this choosing is. You are just trying to find a winning choice to gain the Jamie partnership. If a player does get a "golden ticket" then I'll contact them in a private message about how the rest of the process works. Other than that, these "items" do nothing and mean nothing unless a player wants to use their selection for some future roleplay purposes.

Again, I hope that makes understanding the game clear to you and help you as the game progresses. If there's more clarification or some question for a detail that is still unclear to you then just ask here or send me a message. I want every player to comprehend what is happening in the game so that they can play at their best and with confidence instead of being frustrated or confused about what is going on causing them to participate less or halfheartedly.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:04:35 PM by Khushrenada »

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2021, 10:16:41 PM »
I'll be reminding players of when they can choose from the list and how much.

And on that note, I've updated the Goods For Your Farm list to show what's been selected and threw a bit of color on it to try and make it a bit more appealing to look at.

We are about halfway through Day 1 meaning we are about to enter another 12 hour period for new selections from the Farm Goods list.

The following players have 3 selections now available to them:

Crimm
Order.RSS
stevey
Stratos
ThePerm

The following players have 2 selections now available to them:

Luigi Dude
nickmitch
Wah

The rest of the players are able to make 1 new selection.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2021, 10:25:46 PM »
Can I even though it technically hasn't been 12 hours for me?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2021, 10:32:15 PM »

Hey! You're getting it!

I wish I knew everything that was going on. This is a pretty convoluted game

...or not...

As convoluted as I may make a game seem by trying to get ahead of things and cover all scenarios, I also can break it down to make it simple to understand. So let's break it down in into 4 things.

First of all, this game is currently just a game of Townies vs Mafia. There is no third force like a Killer right now. A Killer could join later but right now it is simply about trying to vote out the Mafia while the Mafia is trying to make the Townies sabotage themselves. Simple and the basis of most games.

Second, I believe you should also be able to see that (ignoring the Jamie role right now) the roles are pretty simple and the usual for a lot of games. The only special ability the Mafia has is their hit, the detective can investigate one player per day and the doctor can protect someone at night. The only traditional role I've tweaked is that the Vigilante no longer dies if they make a hit on a Townie instead of a Mafia member like past games. Instead, the Vigilante loses their Townie status and becomes a Killer. If that happens, then they are just the traditional Killer role with the ability to make a hit each night.

I hope all of that makes sense to you and isn't causing any questions.

The confusing part is likely the Jamie role. I'll break that down now in a couple parts.

First, the Jamie role is similar to some other past roles like a "brother/sister" role in which two townies know each other's identities and can work with each other in the game but also have the drawback that both are eliminated if one gets taken out of the game. The difference here is that the brother/sister aren't partnered at the start of the game. Instead the two players become partnered later on in the game. Because Jamie can partner with another player later, that other player may or may not have a role. I've listed the benefits of what each partnership can be but, for the most part, you can just ignore all of that. The only thing that should be of interest is looking up what would happen if Jamie partners with you (and the role you have this game) to see what benefit that would bring both of you. When the partnership happens, I will mention which role Jamie has ended up partnering with so that all players are aware and you could then check the list to see that specific partnership's details as well. Right now Jamie is on the townie side but that could change depending on the partnership that gets made later (if a partnership even happens).

I hope that is clear and easy to understand.

That just leaves explaining about how Jamie and another player can partner with one another. That's where the "Goods For Your Farm" list comes in. It's basically just a lottery like trying to find the Golden Ticket in Wonka bars. There's 146 bars and only 5 of them are winners. There are restrictions to keep one player from just selecting all the bars and giving everyone a chance but even if you don't understand the restrictions, I'll be reminding players of when they can choose from the list and how much. That's all this choosing is. You are just trying to find a winning choice to gain the Jamie partnership. If a player does get a "golden ticket" then I'll contact them in a private message about how the rest of the process works. Other than that, these "items" do nothing and mean nothing unless a player wants to use their selection for some future roleplay purposes.

Again, I hope that makes understanding the game clear to you and help you as the game progresses. If there's more clarification or some question for a detail that is still unclear to you then just ask here or send me a message. I want every player to comprehend what is happening in the game so that they can play at their best and with confidence instead of being frustrated or confused about what is going on causing them to participate less or halfheartedly.

Thank you for this, it was helpful. I think me being distracted may have been more of the problem than the game itself, but I think I understand things a lot better now. I guess I'll also choose the duck as my third choice.

And I suppose I'll also Vote Mop it up if she's going to respond that way, but I'm still open to being convinced to go with someone else.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2021, 10:39:59 PM »
un vote TOPHATANT123
howd i miss that

edit: you changed yours. I changed mine.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 05:37:00 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2021, 11:00:12 PM »
For my 3rd choice I will select the lovely lily flower. 

Did you know it is great for pollination and depending on the type it can do that through the wind while other types of lilies can be polinated by bees. So pretty.

Plus Lilies are all about love, devotion and purity.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2021, 11:07:32 PM »

Yes, you can. Selection isn't determined by when a player last selects an item. It is determined by being in a 12 hour division of the day. To illustrate, on Day 1, players could make one selection during the first 1 - 12 hours of the game. They could then make another selection in the 13 - 24 hour period of Day 1. That is because new selections are available every 12 hours. Since selection eligibility is determined by time passed in the game and not by when the player makes their choice, a player could make a selection in hour 10 of the first 12 hour period and then another selection in hour 14 of the second period. Once the clock hits hour 13 of the game, the window is now open for everyone to make a second guess. Just like now that the game has hit the 25 hour period, everyone can make a third selection. But players cannot make a 4th selection until the 37th hour of the day begins.

The idea behind these time periods is to give players in other time zones a fair shot at selecting from the Farm Goods and to provide a bit of a restriction to keep players from guessing everything right away. In the pretend world of Harvest Moon for this game, you could pretend this is the time it takes to catch a fish and then put it in a pond in your yard, to plant and water a flower or to catch or look after an animal. With the time done for that task, you can then move on to a new one.

Now, did I clarify that point for you or did I end up making it more confusing?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2021, 11:15:13 PM »

Yes, you can. Selection isn't determined by when a player last selects an item. It is determined by being in a 12 hour division of the day. To illustrate, on Day 1, players could make one selection during the first 1 - 12 hours of the game. They could then make another selection in the 13 - 24 hour period of Day 1. That is because new selections are available every 12 hours. Since selection eligibility is determined by time passed in the game and not by when the player makes their choice, a player could make a selection in hour 10 of the first 12 hour period and then another selection in hour 14 of the second period. Once the clock hits hour 13 of the game, the window is now open for everyone to make a second guess. Just like now that the game has hit the 25 hour period, everyone can make a third selection. But players cannot make a 4th selection until the 37th hour of the day begins.

The idea behind these time periods is to give players in other time zones a fair shot at selecting from the Farm Goods and to provide a bit of a restriction to keep players from guessing everything right away. In the pretend world of Harvest Moon for this game, you could pretend this is the time it takes to catch a fish and then put it in a pond in your yard, to plant and water a flower or to catch or look after an animal. With the time done for that task, you can then move on to a new one.

Now, did I clarify that point for you or did I end up making it more confusing?

You clarified it.  I was just wondering if I should bother going every 12 hours or whenever items open up and I think I will mix it up for day 2.   You are doing a good job Khushrenada!
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2021, 11:18:38 PM »
un-Vote BeautifulShy

Quit trying to spread peace and love you hippies!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 12:27:10 PM by Mop it up »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2021, 11:27:28 PM »
So I read the rules for this game a couple times and I still don't feel like I have any idea what's going on, which seems fun.
It is quite simple. Joja Mart is the source of happiness and joy and that is why you should shop at Joja.

Isn't that right Snowball?

I'll select that lovely black cat for... Future business endeavors...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:36:45 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2021, 11:29:33 PM »
I will say, though, that this game is making me really sad I lost my Stardew Valley save due to a weird error when I moved everything over to my OLED Switch.

J.P. Corbran