Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

How would you rank the five calendar years of Switch?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mop it up:
There, I edited the question to make it more clear what I mean. Happy now, Karl?!

Khushrenada:
Well, I'm not UN-happy about it....

Mop it up:
5. 2020
It isn't any real surprise that 2020 is in last place for me, and it will likely remain that way. Even without the impact of the pandemic, it still looks like this would have been a lean year regardless. There were still a few releases that gave me some enjoyment, though. Paper Mario: The Origami King is probably the best of the new style with a twist on the battle system, fun sense of discovery, and decent writing. Rune Factory 4 was a nice 3DS port to get since it fixed some issues and I never got around to buying the original. The DLC for Pokémon Sword and Shield is better than the main game. Super Mario Bros. 35 was a fun little anniversary game. Finally got to see what Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was like with the remaster.

4. 2018
The Switch's strong first year was certainly tough to live up to, but in some ways 2018 didn't even try. Still, there were some goodies to be had. I personally liked the idea of Nintendo Labo, although the Robot Kit didn't interest me, but the Variety Kit was fun to tinker around with. Kirby Star Allies is solid but nothing that feels new. My second most-played game in Paladins: Champions of the Realm released on Switch this year, which was fun to play with friends as we waited for more releases. Minecraft hit Switch this year which I did get for it, though I'd played it back on Wii U. A few other notables include Sega Genesis Classics, Super Mario Party, Sonic Mania, Overcooked! 2, Sushi Striker, Yoku's Island Express.

3. 2021
A solid year all around. Kicking off with the one Wii U port I bought in Super Mario 3D World, the addition of online play allowed the multiplayer to really shine and the side game of Bowser's Fury is a fun little glimpse into a possible future for 3D Mario. Monster Hunter Rise provides some improvements the series has needed; Monster Hunter Stories gets an unexpected sequel; a long overdue sequel to Pokémon Snap; a meme come true in Metroid Dread; another fun wacky team shooter with Plants vs Zombies Battle for Neighborville; a crazy new WarioWare with a fun twist; and some more I'm probably forgetting!

2. 2017
A pretty solid first year, though the main reason I'm putting this ahead of 2021 is due to the greatness of Super Mario Odyssey and it still being my fave Switch game. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle was also an unexpected mashup that turned out surprisingly well and remains one of my top ten games. Splatoon 2 is a decent sequel that we continued returning to until around when the SplatFests stopped. Other notables include Xenoblade 2, ARMS, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Rocket League, Yooka-Laylee.

1. 2019
What a year! My most-played game of Super Mario Maker 2 came out here so that certainly helped push it over the edge. Other highlights include spooky fun for single- and multiplayer with Luigi's Mansion 3; the best Labo kits with Vehicle and VR; Dragon Quest Builders 2 is more than just a Minecraft clone; frantic multiplayer roguelike Risk of Rain 2; classic DooM games releasing on Switch; and probably some more stuff I'm forgetting or haven't gotten to yet. Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Turok remasters, Pokémon Sword and Shield, Yoshi's Crafted World, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Contra Rogue Corps... what a great year.

Luigi Dude:
This is kind of a hard one for me.  I have such a huge backlog, most games I play are never the same year they were released.  Like last year my most played Switch games were Ys VIII and Xenoblade 2, but Ys VIII came out in 2018 and Xenoblade 2 was 2017.  I mean they should technically count for their respective years, but I didn't get to enjoy them until 2021.

Also doesn't help I own so many indie games that I buy on sale I have no idea what year half of them came out.

Mop it up:
Yeah, I get that. I don't play very many games on release either so I had to double check a lot of dates to ensure I was placing things into the correct years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version