Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X: Life on Mira.  (Read 125478 times)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X: Life on Mira.
« Reply #425 on: March 24, 2016, 08:36:51 PM »
I've been quietly working away at this since Christmas, but finally credits roll at 299:51, unequivocally my favourite game of all time. I have to give a big thank you to everyone involved.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 24, 2016, 10:33:33 PM »
Nicely done!

I've given the game a long rest, though I still feel the itch to visit Mira from time to time.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 24, 2016, 11:10:27 PM »
Yeah, after the 160 hour main quest, I had to take a break from Mira. But I do intend to return for my Ares.

And my Elma.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 29, 2016, 05:16:43 PM »

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 06, 2016, 08:09:35 PM »
END GAME SPOILERS

You shouldn't be surprised, when YOU GET STABBED IN THE BACK! Ahem, I had suspected this ever since I first saw that post credits scene, I though I recognised the beach where Lao washes up as the one west of NLA near where you start the game and then today I went comparing the scene to try to find an angle that it could be shot from. https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFPfc7_2A

As you can see if you pull up a YouTube video the beach where Lao appears is this beach, my guess is that he was resurrected by the planet Mira and the masked hero found him and took him to some hideout or something. Ahhh Xenoblade 3 I want it so badly! In the mean time to tide me over I bought Xenogears for PSP and will post some impressions once I'm a good deal into it.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 07, 2016, 01:20:56 AM »
Nice find!

EDIT: The coast the character washed ashore one doesn't make sense, but little does on Mira.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 02:57:52 AM by Enner »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 08, 2016, 01:20:21 AM »
I really have to get back into this (post)game. I was listening to the soundtrack on my iPod today and I was reminded of how freaking great the Primordia theme is.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 15, 2016, 08:41:01 PM »
Still continuing to play Xenoblade Chronicles X chipping away at everything the game has to offer bit by bit currently at 385+ hours in. The only other game I can think of that has had me this invested is Minecraft, I'm not exactly sure about the hour count of that, maybe it's in the 1000+ range but there's no way to tell since it keeps resetting.

I am now getting around to playing Xenogears, bought on PSN for significantly cheaper than a boxed copy, demonstrated by Lindy who is trying to sell his shrink wrapped Lindeman Syndrome edition for $190.

I'm already starting to see the lineage between this game and Xenoblade. They give off very similar vibes except this one is isometric instead of behind the shoulder.

One of the things that stuck out at me are that the game has seriously incredible writing. I'm only at the very beginning but I've gone through two story beats, the first being super jolly with a great sense of humour, and then the next very serious and it nails both. Another thing that I noticed are the dynamic camera angles, even though the game is sort of isometric it isn't afraid of change the camera now and again to let you take in the world, it truly feels like a marriage between 2d and 3d.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 08:53:54 PM by TOPHATANT123 »

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 15, 2016, 09:42:36 PM »
I've read some tweet here or there (or maybe I'm imagining things) that Treehouse/8-4 Play/whoever got the localizers of Xenogears and Xenosaga to help out or pepper in Easter eggs. That's a cool thing!

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 17, 2016, 12:18:53 PM »
I dug up some cool history trying to answer this.

The person who worked on localisation for Xenogears is Richard Honeywood who was brought in to manage localisation at Square Soft after Final Fantasy 7 received a very poor localisation effort.

"Honeywood described Xenogears, his first translation project at Square and the first to be handled internally by the company, as "pure hell". This difficult experience catalyzed many of the changes to the company's approach to localization, moving booths to always work very closely with the original development teams, improving communication with them, and introducing full-time editors. Another key change was adding a familiarization and glossary creation period to the schedule, in which the team develops style and characterization guides for the project. For Honeywood, a good localization takes into account the cultural differences between Japan and western territories. This sometimes involves rewriting dialogue or altering graphics, animations, and sounds."

He was also responsible for setting the high bar of localisation Dragon Quest is still known for today.

"After Square merged with Enix to become Square Enix, he was tasked with managing localization for the Dragon Quest series. In order to differentiate the series from Final Fantasy, Honeywood decided to localize Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King and future titles in the series in British English. As part of this work, he wrote a comprehensive style guide to standardize names across the entire series, which has been maintained and updated by other teams since."

In terms of 8-4 according to wikipedia...

"The team cites Richard Honeywood, founder of Square's localization department, as an influence on their translation style. Beyond merely translating the words, 8-4 attempts to convey the same experience as that of the original language version through attention to tone, user interface, and cultural references."

8-4 are on good terms with Honeywood so I imagine there was some cross pollination between Xenogears and Xenoblade Chronicles X. He appeared on the 8-4 podcast in 2011 to talk about his work, I'd love to listen but for fear of spoilers I'm going to wait until I've finished the game.

http://8-4.jp/blog/?p=381

After leaving Square Enix in 2007 he went to Blizzard and then in 2010 to work at Level 5 on Ni No Kuni, now I presume he's working on Ni No Kuni 2.

8-4 also worked on Baiten Kaitos Origins and Xenosaga 3 meaning they were probably well acquainted with Monolith Soft making them good candidates to handle the majority of Xenoblade Chronicles X. One more fact I seem remember is that someone on the 8-4 Play podcast said that localisation began around October 2015, and that the voice work was done around June/July/August 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Honeywood
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:15:23 PM by TOPHATANT123 »

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 19, 2016, 01:26:15 AM »
Nice work!

Offline trevasweet22

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 20, 2016, 04:21:14 AM »
Congratulations! This gives me motivation to put it more hours on my own game file hahahaha  ;D

And hmm I thought Xenoblade is/was related to Xenogears? Or am I thinking Xenosaga...(damn with all these Xeno- name titles)

Xenogears is a nice little gem of a game. I loved it cause it had mechs, awesome story, and Elly. :P Too bad it was cut short cause Final Fantasy 8 had to be rushed. It pains me that a huge chunk of what's in Xenogears Perfect Works wasn't put in the final game  :'(

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 21, 2016, 10:57:56 AM »
I decided to recheck the credits on a whim and low and behold Richard Mark Honeywood is credited as a producer for translation.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 04, 2016, 02:42:55 PM »
Xenogears Gameplay Spoilers

Yo there's literally a fighting game hidden in Xenogears, didn't see that coming.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 29, 2016, 11:07:06 PM »
I finished Xenogears after what felt like forever. I enjoyed it very much and to be honest I do think it's pretty much complete storywise. There are enough hints within the game for almost every thing to be explained and from what I gather perfect works is just a clarification of what's already there. The second disc has problems but in the end they did manage cram all the story details in there even if there wasn't as much detail as I would have liked. I went in expecting something like Love Labour's Won where the tale had been completely lost to time, but with a little extra explanation it has a coherent beginning, middle and end.

I'd say it's about 80% done and given a few more months it could have been completed. The amount of stuff they had in this game was already pushing the envelope to it's absolute limit.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 30, 2016, 04:47:30 PM »
Are you thinking about checking out any of the Xenosaga games next? I was really tempted to play them after finishing Xenoblade Chronicles X, but the third episode seemed like it would be too difficult to find at a good price if I got that far (looking now it seems like the Japanese version is quite affordable, but that presents its own problems since it's the story and the world that interests me the most about the Xenosaga games).

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 30, 2016, 05:27:25 PM »
Are you thinking about checking out any of the Xenosaga games next? I was really tempted to play them after finishing Xenoblade Chronicles X, but the third episode seemed like it would be too difficult to find at a good price if I got that far (looking now it seems like the Japanese version is quite affordable, but that presents its own problems since it's the story and the world that interests me the most about the Xenosaga games).
Well it's quite difficult seeing as in the PAL regions they bizarrely only released the second game which is supposedly the worst, but if they put them on PSN i'd be up for it.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 30, 2016, 09:21:57 PM »
Huh, it's awfully strange that they'd only release the second game for PAL territories. It also seems kind of strange to me that the Xenosaga games aren't already on the PSN Store. Maybe Monolith Soft being acquired by Nintendo has complicated things, but when I was searching around earlier I saw that Katsuhiro Harada has talked about wanting HD remakes for these games for the past couple of years, which suggests that Bandai Namco would be able to put them on the PSN Store if they wanted to. Either way I'd really like to play them.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 19, 2021, 02:48:25 PM »
Welp, it only took 5 years and some change but I finally got me a Skell in this game. Can't believe it was 2013 when this game was first revealed with its opening moments in the E3 debut from the cutscene for when one gets their skell. Over the years, I gone back and watched that trailer and a couple of the other XCX trailers that came out as a reminder of why this game wowed me and how I should really get back to it at some point. Finally committed to it again right as December was ending. Although I haven't been able to commit to it like XC:DE last summer because moving can take a lot of time. Still, I've stuck with it and said I was going to finally get that skell and advance the game.

I've got more I want to say on this game but wanted to bump this topic first to make it easy to find again in order to do so. Plus, I want to finish reading up on some of the things others posted about back in the day.

Oh, and look at this guy:

Nope. I haven't even played the game since Tuesday last week. I thought I'd be diving back into it on the weekend but then various things came up in life. I think I'll finally get the chance tonight to sink some time back into it though. Not to worried though. Always knew I'd probably have more time to play this heavily during the Christmas break so anytime before then is just bonus.

What a liar. This dude isn't going to dive back into the game right away like he's promising. So enthusiastic at first and then nothing. What's that all about?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 19, 2021, 10:39:53 PM »
Well since you bumped the thread it gives me an excuse to copy paste my thoughts on the game from the "Last game you beat thread" from February 2017.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=41328.625

Xenoblade X

Finally, it's all over.

I started in October and it took almost 4 months and over 270 hours, but I have conquered Mira.  I even made sure to beat all the optional Super Bosses as well since I wanted to make sure citizens of NLA have nothing to worry about.  Well until the eventual sequel at least.

Anyway, awesome game that I just couldn't put down.  Now I loved the first Xenoblade as well, and put over 130 hours in that with most side quest completed but didn't go all the way like with X.  I'd say the combat is what kept me going since I liked the battles more in this game then the first Xenoblade.  The amount of customization I kept going through with my main character kept things pretty fresh for me even after 200 hours in.

The one negative I have is the Skell battles become kind of repetitive after a while.  One of the nice things about normal combat is all the different variety and options you have but then the Skells take away a lot of that.  I mean at first getting the Skells is awesome but after a while I wish they would have fleshed out their combat more.  Hopefully the eventual X2 sequels focuses more on improving the Skell combat so it's as fleshed out as the in person combat.

Now lets see if I can get through with smaller indie titles in my backlog before Breath of the Wild comes out since that's probably going to consume me for another 4 months after it's released.

I'm impressed with XCX completionist files, and while I adore the game myself, it is one of those things that I will never 100% because of how non-transparent it is. I don't like sifting through wikias in order to progress through sidequests, and while I love the game, there's enough issues I have with some of its more absurd customization options and such that makes me feel that, at my already respectable 197 hour save file, I'm okay with walking away.

I completed Colony 6 in the original Xenoblade Chronicles and I've obtained an Ares 70 in XCX, those are the kinds of highlights that I can leave a game on. I will always appreciate both Xenoblade titles for the amount of detail, but the sidequests, to me, have always been something I can tackle if they are close to my narrative path. Finding a stranded girl in the middle of Oblivia and taking on her quests was worthwhile, to me. But XCX's design and continued reliance on gathering randomly generated field drops and low-percentage enemy drops is something I can't respect, and I don't feel like wasting my time for it. Unfortunately, XCX sort of relies on some of these types of quests in order to progress story and I don't like that.

Oh I agree with a lot of quest relying too much on random items which can be BS.  It didn't bother me too much since I actually spent the first 50 hours of the game pretty much just exploring Primordia, Noctilum and Oblivia on foot, since I was just blown away by the world and wanted to see more.  I also have an unhealthy obsession with constantly fighting enemies stronger then me just to see how strong my current team is.  I would usually see if I could take on enemies at least 10 levels higher then me and if I couldn't I would adjust my equipment, arts and skills and see if that would work. 

I didn't get my first Skell until over 60 hours into the game, and by that time, I was already insanely overleveled and had a **** ton of items already saved up so I was able to do many of the side quests when I started excepting them because I already had the required materials already.  I then tried to rush through the story as fast as I could before finally hitting the fetch quest wall to get the flying part for my Skell, which yeah became annoying.  It is rather funny though since I rushed through most of the story over-leveled but then I reached the final chapters and was underleveled since I stopped exploring and doing side quest because I was trying to finish the story.  The final boss was a real douche since I ended up being the same level as him with the rest of my team several levels lower.  It was pretty awesome though to discover some of the augments I had found from naturally exploring the game earlier ended up giving me the boast I needed after dying a few times since you can't go back to NLA at that section so I was desperately looking for whatever I could to win because I didn't want to restart the game and my earlier adventures are what gave me what I needed.

I actually planned on stopping after I beat the main story but after the plot twist at the end, I wanted to do some of the side quest at the end to see if any of them explain a little more about said twist.  Over the course of doing that I finished some Affinity Quest that helped explain more about the characters with some having some good stories to them which then made me obsessed with completing all of them.  So yeah I got addicted to learning more about the stories of each character and all the different races and lore of the world.  Because I was doing so many quests at once I found doing one usually ended up taking me in the area I needed to complete the other as well as I would usually end up accidentally getting the material I would need for a latter one.

So yeah even though I agree there was a lot of BS, the battle system and overall lore behind the game is what made me look past all that and eventually lead to an unhealthy obsession where I couldn't stop.

Wow, nice job!

I had started the game, but set it down and never got around to picking it back up. Lack of story hurt in that regard - although I'm still excited to play after breaking down my backlog a little bit further.

I agree the main story is weak but I feel Monolith Soft did a great job at the creating the setting and lore behind the game which is what made me want to keep going.  Quit a few of the side quest contain plots that are better then anything in the main story so it's worth getting back into if you really want to get engrossed in the world.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 19, 2021, 11:43:58 PM »
I keep hearing about a twist at the end which seems to disappoint players. I've been fortunate to have not been spoiled about it yet which is another reason why I've put X back into my system and am playing it because I fear if I don't I may soon finally end up reading or hearing about it. I'm not sure what that twist may be although I've got some ideas. When one knows there is a twist, one starts trying to figure out what that may be. However, I had no idea about the "mims" twist in Chapter 5 which is kind of silly but also sort of works as well so maybe I'll be completely caught off guard when I get to the end like I was in 5. I'll have to look at my playtime and see where I'm at. I spent a lot of time in between Chapter 5 and 6 really exploring New LA and tackling a lot of side quests and getting into the Affinity and Heart-to-Heart missions. I wanted to start using a bunch of the other possible party members and make sure they were getting leveled up and I was growing affinity with them as I do remember the comments of people hitting walls when they didn't have enough affinity with someone to keep going. However, it almost started to feel like Whack-a-mole as a bunch of missions then led to new characters I could now recruit and needed to be leveled up.

And from this thread, I know there's like 5 more yet that can yet be added. It was tough enough getting affinity with 7 characters in XC:DE but now there's like 16 maybe. With XC, I'd have to check in every so often to make sure the characters were getting better armor and weapons and adding necessary gems to their equipment. That could take awhile. Now there's so many people to manage. How much gear do I need to keep buying for these characters? I guess I could keep stripping it off them when I'm going to boot them from the party but then that just means constant shuffling of equipment between characters.

I did this one mission against a Tyrant Duogill (shark-octupus) but despite being about equal in my party its electrical attacks where wiping me out. So I bought all this electric resistant gear for my party and then fought it and took it out but it was still a long fight because of how hard it was to attack it near the shore. Later on, I'm exploring in Oblivia with a couple different characters and they're losing their HP in electrical storms and from electrical attacks because I didn't buy or swap over the electrical gear for them. It got me thinking about how much do I need to do upkeep on all these characters with so many available partners. It also made me wonder if this game is going to get a bit Monster Hunter-like with having to select proper gear and weapons for different foes. I guess I like my RPGs simpler like Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario instead of having to tweak so much. And there's still more to learn and refresh myself on.

I guess that's why when playing this game I've almost felt its been made obsolete by Breath of the Wild. Of course, it hasn't and its still worth playing and it does have some strengths over BotW but on the whole I prefer BotW's streamlined approach to how it handled its open world design and kept a lot of the strengths of XCX but really smoothed over some of the frustrating and tedious parts of it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #446 on: February 20, 2021, 12:47:52 PM »
Congratulations on the skell! Definitely get that insurance. Those skells are pricey. I went from having lots of money to having to farm money when I skipped the insurance.

I also heard of the disappointing twist/ending from others, but that did not happen with me. I was not even sure what they were referring to. I think a lot of people talk about it vaguely to avoid spoilers, and I am not requesting anyone be specific here, I just enjoyed the game to the end and had no desire to explore other people's complaints.