Author Topic: Official Star Wars The Force Awakens SPOILER DISCUSSION thread...  (Read 44256 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Official Star Wars The Force Awakens SPOILER DISCUSSION thread...
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2016, 05:40:43 PM »
I know this is about The Force Awakens but the new trailer for Star Wars Rebels is chock-full of new things to visit in terms of bloodlines, who's Rey's parent and even possibly a x = Snoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJyxPDEvo9U

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2016, 08:42:39 PM »
i like that they reused the original wookie design.

Also, there is Rebel One coming out this year where they could visit some origins.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2016, 02:40:35 AM »
There was some discussion about Fin's potential futility in future movies on other mediums.  Episode VII doesn't paint him as a Jedi, and with Rey as a Jedi and a pilot, she almost doesn't need Fin.  Also, some people noted that he may have fully expended his knowledge of the First Order with the intel on the Star Killer Base.  So, what doesn't everyone think Fin's role will be in the next two films?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2016, 06:53:53 AM »
Um. Resistance fighter.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2016, 07:32:35 AM »
I think Nintendo wants the next gimmick again...and there is nothing wrong with a good gimmick, but you have to fully deliver.  Nintendo did not fully deliver on thw Wii U gimmick or the Wii.  However I think they did a good job on the DS gimmick and even 3DS. 

Personally, I think Nintendo needs to double down on motion controls, perfect it then have a kickass HD system to back it up.  I think this could be done with a docking bay type system.  It acts as a charger and booster for the new portable.  Games are designed with scaled versions, and a tool can be designed for developers to easily do this.  Future upgrades could come every 3 years.  First to the handheld second to the dock.  All of this is achievable with current technology.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
Wrong thread, Spak.

Um. Resistance fighter.

But is that it? Will he have as central of a role in future films?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2016, 04:10:38 PM »
Finn is a traitor. Does that confirm him as Lando's kid?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2016, 05:29:16 PM »
I read that John Boyega is getting in shape for the next movie. They're really going to do the two Jedi thing, aren't they?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2016, 02:58:12 AM »
Finn is a traitor. Does that confirm him as Lando's kid?

I'm thinking 8 is gonna have a lot of flashbacks in order to explain more of the characters' backstories, so that's possible.  But it does do that universe shrinking that drives some people crazy.

I read that John Boyega is getting in shape for the next movie. They're really going to do the two Jedi thing, aren't they?

This I would be interested in.  I'd like to see his training and development, how it parallels to Rey's.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2016, 03:34:54 AM »
Well how big could a human sphere of influence be in the universe? Also, wouldn't each planet have smaller populations than our planet?  You think about it. We're only here because we're stuck here. I imagine a large portion of the population disappears out of the galaxy every year and nobody ever sees them again. Suddenly the small universe doesn't sound so far fetched. Also, think about how many notable humans are around on Earth vs non-notable humans. The number shrinks.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2016, 03:30:03 PM »
Well how big could a human sphere of influence be in the universe? Also, wouldn't each planet have smaller populations than our planet?  You think about it. We're only here because we're stuck here. I imagine a large portion of the population disappears out of the galaxy every year and nobody ever sees them again. Suddenly the small universe doesn't sound so far fetched. Also, think about how many notable humans are around on Earth vs non-notable humans. The number shrinks.

The world's population has increased as medical science has improved and the average lifespan has increased.  In the Star Wars universe things are advanced enough that you can replace limbs with robotic parts that appear to offer no disability over a real body part (though breathing seems to be primitive still judging by Darth Vader) so clearly the medical science is better and that would increase the average human lifespan.  So maybe the human population has exploded in the Star Wars universe.  Also once you can travel to other planets as easy as driving a car then you also have more resources to sustain a larger population.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2016, 06:15:50 PM »
But I think to Perm's point, there are so many other species that are going to reap those same benefits, including one's who naturally had longer lifespans than humans. Yoda was 300 or so when he died, right? And Chewie hasn't been aging much.

But I think there has to be a large sphere of influence for humans because of big the first order is. They established non-clone storm troopers in this movie meaning there has to be some place loaded with human beings for them to "mine" from.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2016, 07:56:04 PM »
Wookies live upwards of 400 years, Chewie is 205 during the OT, so about 235 during Force Awakens. Yoda was 900 years old when he died.

What I take away from this is that races with longer lives tend to live their lives differently than humans and other short lifespan races. Wookies still live in forest tree houses. Whether on purpose or because of subconscious authorial assumptions, longer lifespan races tend to live life more slowly and 'in tune' with nature. Additionally, on Earth, animals with longer lifespans tend to breed and multiply more slowly. This would naturally slow down any expansionist behavior these longer lived races would exhibit.

>In summary, we are the rabbits in the eyes of the Yodas/Wookies/other long-lived races.

Also, The Old Republic was dominated by human races and it appears that their planets comprise the majority of the "core worlds". This would have also been further exacerbated by the Empire's xenophobic policies, leading to a place like Mos Eisley in the Outer Rim to have a more racially diverse makeup than a core world. The Empire's 'influence' would not easily be absolved in a 30 year period, leading to humans still being the dominant force in the galaxy.

Lastly, from a practical standpoint, it is easier and cheaper for a production company if the majority of the primary cast is human/humanoid. Us human consumers find human characters more relate-able, thus causing the stories that are written to focus more on human leads.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »
The other point was. The population is large, but The population is more dispersed.

I'd imagine you get invited for dinner by some alien, and they just eat you. No need to hide the bodies. The alien's stomachs just digests the bones.

I'd imagine crime would be much more rampant in the future because people could get away with it much easier. Wild west type stuff.

« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2016, 12:48:01 PM »
Earth is getting pretty crowded at 7 billion. We have probably eight or nine total planetary bodies in our solar system we could inhabit if we had the right technology. Suppose each star system in Star Wars could support roughly 50 billion humans per system, there are hundreds of systems in that galaxy that make up the Old Republic and the Empire. Under Palpatine there was a serious effort to erase all non-Human life forms so that was part of the Rebellions, non-humans fighting for their right to live and to be a part of the government they helped create.

Like Perm said, there are likely planets not hospitable to humans but with their technology they can over come that. Human nature is to expand, to explore, and to reproduce. Some of the longer living species, as pointed out, probably don't have that same desire so it was easier for the humans who build their Death machines to come along and leave their mark on the world.

As for the clones, they Storm Troopers in the Original Trilogy were not all clones, by that time they were already drafting people and phasing out the clones, in fact by A New Hope the clones were already De-commissioned and placed in their storage facilities or retirement centers whatever they were called. they were no longer active duty. The First Order was probably like the remnants of the Empire in the Legacy EU, they had access to clone facilities but chose not to use them for various reasons. I think there was a line in the film that suggested they could use clones and they dismissed that as an option or something to that effect.

You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2016, 04:48:35 PM »
Also, another factor. People tend to reproduce in high numbers to counteract the effect of plagues and pandemics. When the threat of pandemics is reduced due to high sanitation efforts people don't do this. As time goes on certain highly advanced societies don't reproduce as much.

http://www.dw.com/en/impact-of-japans-shrinking-population-already-palpable/a-18172873

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2016, 05:58:55 PM »
Gwen Christie says she'll be in the next movie. also one of the only characters, like Rey, to have a British accent. Anybody think they're related?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 06:01:24 PM by Zap »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2016, 07:40:05 PM »
I've seen that theory floating around that she's the Dark mother. IDK meh on that one. I like the theory that Rey is related to Snoke or Palpatine better. Still, kinda cliché.

what about the theory that Rey is a clone of Shmi

or just Luke's Daughter....

or maybe Rogue One will have the answers we seek?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:43:43 PM by ThePerm »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2016, 10:16:01 PM »
I heard BB-8 is Secretly Snoke.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2016, 10:55:20 PM »
Nobody wants to hear about your JarJar.

- D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:18:23 PM by Shaymin »
Made you look ****.