Author Topic: 6th Annual NWR Live Podcast Telethon for Child’s Play!  (Read 12315 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
6th Annual NWR Live Podcast Telethon for Child’s Play!
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:00:00 AM »

Before the Holidays, we're giving you a full day of content to relax, unwind, and help a great cause! UPDATED 12/10 - ALL PARTS UPLOADED

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/sitenews/41550/6th-annual-nwr-live-podcast-telethon-for-childs-play

It's time again for the Nintendo World Report live podcast in support of Child's Play. This year we've set taller goals, have a more ambitious schedule, and are planning more twists than ever before. This all-day marathon serves one purpose: to help kids in pediatric hospitals by providing them the toys and games we all enjoy. We hope you can join us for the best thing NWR does all year.

We have all 14 hours of the show, and we will be releasing them throughout the week, in four, three hour, chunks. If you don't subscribe to Radio Free Nintendo, you should, but if you did you would automatically get each episode delivered to the player of your choice.

Part One (MP3) (Enhanced AAC) - Introduction and Live Now Playing, RFN and the Third Dimension, The Future of the Nindies, Amiibo SuperChargers

Part Two (MP3) (Enhanced AAC) - J&J Dream Factory LLC, Games We Love to Hate, A Different Kind of Sonic Adventure

Part Three (MP3) (Enhanced AAC) - LIVE! Radio Trivia Non-Podcast Edition!, Famicast Live with John Davis and Cheesemeister, Connectivity: Mario Sunshine Retrospective

Part Four (MP3) (Enhanced AAC) - NNR: The Future of Nintendo, NFR: Garage Banding, Dinosaur Chat, RFN Hot Takes

This is our sixth time doing this, but if you never got to see one yourself you can go check out the shows from years past: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and  2014

Amount does not include $1,970.13 being matched by Nintendo of America! Thanks for their support

WHAT: An epic Nintendo/gaming-themed live audio "podcast"telethon
WHY: For Child's Play, a charitythat provides toys and games to sick kids
WHO: Nintendo World Report staff, special guests, andyou!
WHEN: Saturday, December 5, 2015 from 11:30am Eastern (8:30am Pacific, 4:30pm GMT) until...?
WHERE: Right here, so bookmark this page!Check back soon for the audio stream, live chat, and donation link.
HOW:Magic of the Internet

Here atNintendo World Report,we've long been supporters of Child's Play, the fantastic charity thatprovides toys and games to hospitalized kids. If you're not familiarwith Child's Play, check out the official website and listen to Jonny'sRFN Special interview with Mike Krahulik, co-founder of the charity(and Penny Arcade), way back in 2007. So, when our old friend KarlCastaneda brought us an idea for doing a special, live-streaming podcast to support Child's Play, we got excited. Not only can wedo things live that don't make sense in a recorded show, likereal-time listener interaction, but the lack of editing means there arefewer constraints on how long the show can run. Then we thought... whynot do it telethon-style, all day long? It's been a great success so far, and this year we're hoping to raise more money than ever for this excellent charity!

***If you are new to NWR podcasts, please be advisedthat the show contains explicitlanguage. We're doin' it for the kids, but the show itselfis for grown-ups.***

Content Program and Fundraising Goals

11:30 AM Eastern - Introduction, show overview, and a live Now Playing UNLOCKED

12:00 Noon Eastern - Radio Free Nintendo Trips on the Third Dimension UNLOCKED

1:00pm Eastern - The Future of the Nindie with Daan Koopman, Neal Ronaghan, and Damon Baker, Nintendo of America senior manager of marketing and licensing UNLOCKED - Nintendo of America matches all donations during this hour!

2:00pm Eastern - Amiibo SuperChargers: The Infinity Dimension UNLOCKED

3:00pm Eastern - J&J Dream Factory LLC - A division of ChemHealth Pharmaceuticals UNLOCKED

4:00pm Eastern - Games We Love to Hate UNLOCKED

5:00pm Eastern - A Different Kind of Sonic Adventure UNLOCKED

6:00pm Eastern - LIVE! Radio Trivia Non-Podcast Edition! UNLOCKED

7:00pm Eastern - Famicast Live from Japan! with special guests John Davis of Q-Games and Cheesemeister, translator of all Nintendo's Japanese pronouncements UNLOCKED

8:00pm Eastern - Connectivity: Slip, Slop, Slap and Shine Get - Mario Sunshine Retrospective UNLOCKED

9:00pm Eastern - Nintendo News Report Presents: The Future of Nintendo UNLOCKED

10:00pm Eastern - Nintendo Free Radio Presents: Garage Banding - Designing A Nintendo IP After Splatoon UNLOCKED

11:00pm Eastern - Dinosaur Chat with Zach and Carmine UNLOCKED

12:00 Midnight Eastern - Shenanigans: RFN Hot Take Call-in Show UNLOCKED

To change your chat nickname, type /nick newnickname, where "newnickname" is the new name you want.

What's a Hot Take? Take a look!

We'll be announcing more details soon, including: segment details, call-in prizes, and some exciting stretch-goals beyond our $6000 target.

STRETCH GOAL: RFN NFL Post-Season Preview Podcast - Donate before RFN begins their noon segment (any amount) and email RFN to let us know you did. If we get 12 donors we'll do a special podcast to breakdown Wild Card weekend.

Ways You Can Help:

1. Donate! This is the most direct way to help meet our goals for the event and support Child's Play. You can donate money before, during and for a couple weeks after the live event.

2. Promote! If you're a part of a community or group of friends who enjoy Nintendo or video games, please help us spread the word and explain what's so great about this event. (Always be respective -- don't spam on our behalf)

3. Participate! Listen to the live event, play along in the chat room and call in for interactive segments, you'll make the event better for everyone!

4. Prizes! If you've hit the limit on donating money but have some special gaming swag or digital game codes to give away, we could use them as prizes. Please email us with any offers.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: 6th Annual NWR Live Podcast Telethon for Child’s Play!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 05:52:41 AM »
I'll see what I can scrape together over the next couple of weeks here, given that I'm one of the NEETest individuals out there. Still, I try to throw in what little I can when I can.

Radio Trivia got pushed deep into the lineup this year! here's hoping we make it there!

if we end up needing a crazy stretch goal, can we get the future promise on a BOP of DOOM or The Wizard?

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »

Radio Trivia got pushed deep into the lineup this year! here's hoping we make it there!

Right? The live Radio Trivia is easily the highlight of the telethon every year for me.  So now we have to get to AT LEAST $3000.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:48:34 AM »
I'm sorry about that. Scheduling is hard
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
Disney Infinity?
Paging Cellsai

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 12:40:58 PM »
How much did you guys make last year?

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »
I'm sorry about that. Scheduling is hard

Oh I definitely wasn't complaining.  Hopefully it's extra motivation to reach the goal, putting a beloved segment later in the schedule.  We can make it!
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 08:44:09 PM »
Last year we collected $6205, but previously we have collected over $7000
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 11:00:44 PM »
Thanks for the kind words on Radio Trivia. I'm confident we'll make that goal!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 12:18:22 AM »
Hmm, a doubleheader for me this year.

#bringit
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 08:15:12 AM »
I may actually be able to listen live for once.  Looking forward to it.  Donated early.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 07:19:46 PM »
The hot take segment sneak preview is amazing, and I have a few hot takes of my own regarding Metroid Prime. Schedule permitting I look forward to sharing them.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 08:45:17 PM »
when you say child's play i ALWAYS think the movie series.
Made you look ****.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 10:30:02 PM »
Where's the stretch goal that involves James Jones playing Sonic: Rise of Lyric from beginning to end?  That would bring in the big money.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 12:05:59 AM »
I'm open to it. Under protest. But open to considering it.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 07:00:54 AM »
Where's the stretch goal that involves James Jones playing Sonic: Rise of Lyric from beginning to end?  That would bring in the big money.
fully
without the knuckles glitch or any skipping.
Made you look ****.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 01:22:54 PM »
Is Sonic: Rise of Lyric the dunk tank of games?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 05:30:39 PM »
Don't forget to check out our list of prizes and our prize schedule for the telethon!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/sitenews/41590/prizes-at-the-6th-annual-nwr-live-podcast-telethon-for-childs-play
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline doug

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 05:08:46 PM »
GMT start time should presumably say 4.30, rather than 5.00.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 02:10:45 AM »
RIGHT! Thanks doug!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 09:40:42 AM »
I'm probably going to have to miss the first half of the day. Already donated a bit and will probably do more when I get back. Unusual request, but can anyone make a log of the NWR chat room for the day? That's one of my favorite parts of the day, following the insanity of the chat!

Offline rlse9

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 01:08:26 PM »
Awesome that Nintendo is matching donations this hour.  Can't listen live but looking forward to listening to the podcast over the next couple weeks.  Hope the telethon goes well.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 11:02:48 PM »
What's happening monday? Something big!?!?

Is Ridley finally getting announced playable for Smash?!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 11:20:56 AM »
I think the things that will stick with me through this one is Rodger Goodall 2 for the NES and Gui's half-awake bitterness that Nintendo survived the console wars.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 11:29:30 AM »
I'm inclined to believe megaton monday is actually Minecraft Monday. From what I remember the conversation sort of went like...

Daan: So Damon now that we are reaching the end of the segment what can you tell us about what fans have to look forward to in 2016 and 2017?

Damon: Well I can't actually remember what we have announced and what we don't (chuckles) so let's see, in the immediate future we have Hyrule Warriors Legends and Final Fantasy Explorers, in terms of indies there's Rive...

Daan: Oh my gosh I love Rive, at E3 I sat down with the developers and played it for like an hour.

Damon: Next week we have Fast Racing Neo and Steamworld Heist. Also look forward to Monday.

Neal: What's Monday?

Damon: Just look forward to it.

Neal: What time?

Damon: Ummm, (can't remember might of been like 2 or 5 pm)o'clock.

Neal: Which timezone?

Damon: Hmm, that would be your timezone Daan.

Where does Daan live you ask? Well in the Netherlands on the CET time zone. You know what else is on the CET timezone? Sweden. Which is where Mojang (aka Minecraft) is located. Unless my memory is mistaken (or Damon Baker was mistaken) it was to be Minecraft Wii U.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
Did anyone by any chance record the full chat log?  I was able to participate like I normally do because of Fatherly responsibilities.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 12:13:15 AM »
Minecraft would be good but I'd much rather have Undertale.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline fred13

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 05:03:42 PM »
Nice detective work TOPHATANT123 or should I call you Sherlock?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 05:48:39 PM »
Listening to the archive, I'd just like to add this: James, 3D-style design absolutely can work in RTS design. The Home world franchise mastered moving your fleets of ships and fighter craft on all 3 axis a long time ago. :P
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline fred13

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 12:37:30 PM »
We still haven't met the goal (by we I mean us listeners).
Maybe if one of you NWR groups offered another locked content it'd push us to finish.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 08:58:15 PM »
Again, if we beat the record I'll finish Skyward Sword and you'll get 1000 words on it.

(Most of them may be profanities.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 01:43:51 AM »
Again, if we beat the record I'll finish Skyward Sword and you'll get 1000 words on it.

As they should be.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2015, 01:52:39 AM »

how close are we in numbers?

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015, 05:03:58 AM »
I've listened to most of the telethon, minus the last three segments. Some thoughts:

Introduction and RFN on 3D: Good, interesting, thought-provoking discussion. The usual high-quality RFN, only live! Like the history on how Now Playing has changed over the years.

Nindies: Nice to hear Damon's perspective on things. And incredible that NOA matched donations during the hour. That was great and unexpected news.

Amiibo: Good to hear Justin and Andrew. Thought Neal gave a good overview of what Skylanders is and how it has changed. It was interesting even to someone like me who hasn't played the games.

J&J Dream Factory LLC: New peaks have been reached gentlemen! Though I hope the day is very far off, eventually Jon and James will leave RFN (by death of old age in the former's case, if nothing else). When that dread day comes, I hope James and Jon (if still living) will continue to do podcasts together in one form or another. Like Laurel and Hardy, Mutt and Jeff, and butter on a biscuit, they are meant to be together. The amount of thought and creativity packed into this segment is remarkable.

Games We Love to Hate: Josh, Kim and Becky. I dub thee Jon and James: The Next Generation. I'm not sure who is Captain Picard. Probably Kim. Josh and Becky can fight over who's Riker. Even the early technical problems didn't slow it down too much. Makes me realize how much I missed you guys on Connectivity and wished you could be on there semi-regularly. I know personal schedules plays a big part in that, but just know you three are always welcome, if that should happen. Kim and Becky together are great. Add Josh to the mix and it's like magic happens!

A Different Kind of Sonic Adventure: Unexpected. Turned out to be an interesting discussion. Kudos to Curtis and TYP, mi particular.

LIVE! Radio Trivia Non-Podcast Edition!: TYP's usual level of excellence. It was nice to play along to, even after the fact. Great to hear Karlie again!

Famicast Live from Japan!: JC and Ty, two good peas in a very strange pod. The conversation flew along. Good to hear Cheesemeister on something besides Red Sun Gamer. I think he fit in well. Maybe he could be a guest on a future episode of Famicast, eh? :)

Connectivity: Slip, Slop, Slap and Shine Get - Mario Sunshine Retrospective: Good breakdown of the game. Made me think of the game in a different way. I do think it would be a good candidate for remastering with a few minor game changes.

Overall, I thought the telethon was a great success. Good mix of people and subjects. Wish there had been a bit more call-ins from listeners. But there can always be technical probelms with that, breaking up the flow of a good conversation, etc. That's sort of a damned if you do or don't situation.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2016, 03:52:02 PM »
Listening to Jose's spot, I got to the comments on Club Nintendo and felt the need to weigh in.

I love the fact that Nintendo offered surveys as a direct line to communicate our opinions on their products and practices.  Will everyone want to fill them out, though?  No.  Do I want to fill it out every single time?  Not really.  But do I want feedback gone entirely?  Certainly not.  However, the existence of Miiverse may negate the need for a separate survey entirely.  Their goal is to collect opinions from the owners of a certain game, and now each game has its own Miiverse community.  They have their line, and there's no need to get My Nintendo involved in that particular Club Nintendo way.  Someone like Jose can now be free to conveniently "just get their thing," and it doesn't come at the kind of cost it could have.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2016, 11:40:45 AM »
Revived my amiibo today all the way from the US of A, I'd like to thank the site for it's generosity and I look forward to next years telephon.