Author Topic: Any Chance the NX will support 4K?  (Read 28216 times)

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Any Chance the NX will support 4K?
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
I'm not forgetting those people. Like I said, I think the reason most of them are waiting is because they don't want to spend $400 (or $350, which isn't going to be a huge difference to most people who think $400 is too much) on a console and they're waiting until current gen consoles become more affordable. I doubt most people outside of ardent Nintendo fans even know that the NX is a thing that will be talked about this year (thanks in large part to Nintendo's complete reluctance to talk about it themselves), so I don't think there are millions of people holding off on an upgrade to see what it is, especially since Nintendo hasn't even officially announced that it will be a home console. No one knew about it before the beginning of 2015, so it certainly wasn't the thing stopping people from upgrading in 2013 and 2014. Like I said, for most people it was price, and putting another $350 or $400 console on the market isn't going to solve that problem for them.

I do think that's the market that Nintendo should target, but I guess where we disagree is how they should go about doing it. I think they need to make the best console possible that they feel comfortable selling at $250 if they want to attract a lot of those people, regardless of how it stacks it up to the PS4, and you're also much more likely to attract people who already have a PS4 or XB1 that way.

Again, I just think you are understimating the true size of the Nintendo fanbase. There have always been millions more Nintendo fans who would have bought the machine if it was on par with their expectations. SNES was the true successor to the NES but Playstation was the true successor for SNES for the vast majority of gamers. Many of them would glady return to Nintendo if they didn't have to scoff at the machines Nintendo keeps making.

On a dedicated Nintendo site they are the minority because we are all mostly die hard fans but on any non-Nintendo site or fanbase there is still a large outcry for Nintendo to return to glory. People who want a good machine from Nintendo are not fanboys rooting for sales like the Wii loyalists were, they are rooting for a Gamecube that doesn't cut corners. The ONE area most people would cut Nintendo slack these days unlike then is DVD, partly because unlike then everyone has dozens of multimedia devices in their homes now so expecting the Nintendo machine to also do those things is no longer mandatory, but on the gaming side people have been putting up with Nintendo BS for two DECADES. I don't know how old you are but it seems like you just don't remember the glory days of Nintendo or maybe it's been so long you have forgotten. Wii re-energized the core fanbase but that wasn't enough. Nintendo will NOT survive on them anyways, damn dude Wii U proved that. If NX ONLY sells to the die hard Nintendo fans its as good as done right now.

And I said it doesn't have to be $400 you are the one who keeps saying it does and I think you are dead wrong. They have sold machines at a reasonable loss in the past, we are not talking devestating losses, NX has been in development for two years and PS4 tech is already 2+ years old, the market moves faster now than it ever has, AMD has been innovating in recent years, Nintendo could cut costs where nobody would notice and get away with it, they have the cash reserves to take a small loss on the hardware and make up for it with the attach rate their consoles are famous for, they are UNDER NEW LEADERSHIP, they are facing a desperate time in their history that could make them go the way of Sega/Atari or they could rise up and get rid of Xbox. Also you seem to forget there are a lot of people NOT buying the Xbox One right now, those are also potential sales and the people not buying the Wii U, nobody, not you, or me, knows how many of them would buy and NX.

All I am saying is just for once I want Nintendo to bite the god damn bullet and just make the machine the entire fucking world has been asking them to since the damn N64 and IF it still fails fine we know for a fact the Nintendo brand is damaged beyond repair, if it succeed, and I believe it will, we are back to a Nintendo that can make aggressive moves going forward and hopefully remove the Xbox parasite from the world.

Even if they don't topple Xbox which is a pipe dream, let's be honest, they could return to their former glory, hell even N64 sales would have been damn good for most people. Right now they are struggling to get Game Cube sales and that is pretty bad all things considered.

But you also forget Nintendo has a cash stream on the side they can rely on to take some of the hit off NX, Amiibo, that doesn't look to be subsiding anytime soon and if they incorporate it into NX just right it could only improve their fortunes. They don't have to hit the $250 sweet spot, although honeslty I would LOVE IT if they did, but I think $300 is the best price the market can expect and at that price mass market penetration is possible, PS1 launched at that price and did phenomenally well.

Also again, you are underestimating the large number of PS4 owners who would trade in a PS4 for an NX IF Nintendo could make it worth their while and I believe there is a way to do it if they make the right console, and if all the rumors are to be believed then there is ample evidence that is something we can expect. At least something closer to what we want than Wii U was.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2016, 12:08:45 PM »
Also again, you are underestimating the large number of PS4 owners who would trade in a PS4 for an NX IF Nintendo could make it worth their while and I believe there is a way to do it if they make the right console, and if all the rumors are to be believed then there is ample evidence that is something we can expect. At least something closer to what we want than Wii U was.
Welcome to the Fantasy Zone! Get Ready!
Sorry to break it to you but this isn't going to happen. People aren't to give up friend lists, PlayStation Plus subscriptions and entire libraries of physical and digital games in exchange for NX. Even if third parties come out of the gate strong on NX they couldn't go back and port the past 3 years of their games to NX so Nintendo will naturally be starting from a position of weakness. What ample evidence are you referring to?

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2016, 10:55:15 AM »
PS4 will be three years old when it releases. **** it. I am not arguing with you god damn there is FORTY YEARS of video game history to PROVE that when a new console releases people leave behind last gen, it's been that way since 1975-ish. PS4 will be 3 years old, when NX launches. Not everyone has friends list, and by your logic nobody should even OWN a PS4 considering all those DLC, friends, etc you worry so much about WERE ALL ON 360, nobody had  a problem abandoning them to go to Ps4. People move forward, the world moves forward time doesn't stop because Sony releases a console, Sony is already preparing VR and PS4K, both of those are  more than enough proof, on top of the FORTY YEARS of history, if you are do god damn blind you can ignore forty years then by all means go ahead. Or you could look at the patterns and see that people are going to flock to the new machine if it has what they want, it has ALWAYS been that way since the beginning of time. The 5 year console cycle is a thing of the past, deal with it., not to mention the 85+ million gamers who haven't bought into this gen yet. I am not saying everyone is going to get NX in the first year, DUH! but there is not reason to believe, as of right now, that it even has to get all it's sales in year one. By the time it comes down in price, PS4 will be 4 years old, and showing its age. People will start to notice the performance upgrades of playing the same games on NX over PS4 and the benefit of having their cake and frosting or however the stupid saying goes, because they will have the PS4 3rtd party games people love and the Nintendo games people crave.

Evidence, look anywhere on the internet when Nintendo is doing poorly, everyone is clamoring for them to go 3rd party because they do want their games.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:58:10 AM by supermario2k »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2016, 11:19:44 AM »
I have a hard time believing that because we don't know if NX will have Madden/FIFA/NBA2K/CoD/GTA or all the other major third party titles that drive console sales. People won't ditch PS4 for NX. They'll buy NX to complement their PS4.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2016, 12:33:05 PM »
PS4 will be three years old when it releases. **** it. I am not arguing with you god damn there is FORTY YEARS of video game history to PROVE that when a new console releases people leave behind last gen,
not to mention the 85+ million gamers who haven't bought into this gen yet.

GG TJ :smug:

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »
People won't ditch PS4 for NX. They'll buy NX to complement their PS4.
And Nintendo knows this. The only way it accomplishes this is by having enough content to justify being a viable second console. 3DS is the biggest hint of the kind of content Nintendo needs. It has a wealth of first and third party games people can't get anywhere else.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2016, 04:54:27 PM »
Nintendo won't get people to switch to the NX but maybe they can put out a good product and rebuild their brand so that on the proper next gen when Sony and MS switch over the new Nintendo console released at that point is actually considered as a potential purchase.  This isn't going to be an overnight thing.  Nintendo needs to rebuild and it will take years to do.  Next time around people should know what to expect from Nintendo and it would be GOOD stuff.  I'd say the Wii U "met" consumer expectations, it's just that those expectations were really negative.  "This won't have good support so I won't buy it" and then of course it doesn't sell and loses the small support it had.  Nintendo isn't going to get anyone to switch if the expectations continue to be like that.  The NX needs to look like it has potential and its successor needs to come in looking like it can win the gen outright.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2016, 11:25:27 PM »
Here is an articles mentioning 4K and the NX, but there is no detail.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/660523/Nintendo-NX-release-date-update-2016-Amiibo-4K

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2016, 12:54:28 AM »
To answer the original question is no, not for games. System requirements for 4K is really high. There is no way you can build a box that doesn't cost 5K to play 4K games. Monster PCs struggle with 4K and forget single card solutions. It will at best be a 1080p image on a 4K display with one or the other doing the scaling.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2016, 04:35:47 PM »
I'd imagine there are certain types of games that can be made 4k easier than others at this point. A 2d platformer, a fighting games, a strategy game, a puzzle game. Not a 3d shooter, or adventure game, or 3d platformer.

Imagine a 4k classic style platformer, where they kept the scale of the original game, but you can see huge portions of the world on the screen. I don't know what the point of that would be, but it would look cool. Although i can imagine a non side scrolling platformer reminicent of old arcades. Donkey Kong 4k
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2016, 07:26:41 AM »
To answer the original question is no, not for games. System requirements for 4K is really high. There is no way you can build a box that doesn't cost 5K to play 4K games. Monster PCs struggle with 4K and forget single card solutions. It will at best be a 1080p image on a 4K display with one or the other doing the scaling.

Supplemental Computer Device.