Author Topic: Any Chance the NX will support 4K?  (Read 27938 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Any Chance the NX will support 4K?
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2016, 07:19:30 PM »
Not to mention how much it costs to develop true 4K graphics. I mean, just look at how much Nintendo have struggled to make HD games, and almost all of them are only 720p. They can't make another huge jump like that so soon.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2016, 07:51:58 PM »
It's so going to happen. If the NX hooks up to a tv then it will support 4K. Bank on it!.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2016, 08:10:59 PM »
I highly doubt it.  Nintendo unjustifiably failed to support HD, and they actually would be justified in not supporting 4K.  Granted, you could make an argument that there's some overlap in the 4K and hardcore gaming markets ("techies" with high disposable income) but that's still not a large market.  Then you have people with 4K sets that are starved by 4K content, but how big that market? Are they interested in a dedicated gaming machine? How does Nintendo win those people over?

Too much cost, too many questionables for NX to support 4K.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2016, 08:34:26 PM »
I highly doubt it.  Nintendo unjustifiably failed to support HD, and they actually would be justified in not supporting 4K.  Granted, you could make an argument that there's some overlap in the 4K and hardcore gaming markets ("techies" with high disposable income) but that's still not a large market.  Then you have people with 4K sets that are starved by 4K content, but how big that market? Are they interested in a dedicated gaming machine? How does Nintendo win those people over?

Too much cost, too many questionables for NX to support 4K.

I think you are overestimating the cost of 4K. The requirement to do 4k are the base specs that a NX console should support. This is not solely based on making games produce a 4K res, but its the natural progression of the technology, at a bare minimum for a console launching in 2016. Nintendo would have to actively downgrade the system to make it less powerful. Mind you, this is all based on the system being "mostly" tradition in terms of its market aim.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2016, 01:26:20 PM »
4K doesn't need to "catch on" - I would wager by this time next year, you will only see 4K TVs in stores. DirecTV has 4K video support, Amazon, YouTube, and Netflix all support it. NX should support 4K for video services at the very least.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2016, 06:19:14 PM »
4K doesn't need to "catch on" - I would wager by this time next year, you will only see 4K TVs in stores. DirecTV has 4K video support, Amazon, YouTube, and Netflix all support it. NX should support 4K for video services at the very least.

Um, probably not considering stores still sell 720p TVs to this day. A PS4.5 would probably only support 4K for video services so I don't expect the NX to support 4k for anything. It's not really Nintendo and if you expect it out of the box you're going to have a bad time.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »
I didn't say I expect it, I just NX *should* support it. And yes, you can still buy 720p TVs, but they are old repackaged models, there is no benefit for any major TV manufacturer to make 720p TVs anymore. 4K TVs have come down so much in price already, much faster than 1080p TVs dropped. Give it a year, you won't see any new 1080p TVs being made - or at least they'll be in the minority at retailers like Best Buy.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline theumph

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2016, 11:24:14 PM »
It won't. Nintendo is a conservative company and they are not going to be on the cutting edge of technology. They will stick to their tried and true method of "weathered technology" at a low price. I don't view that as a problem either. Nintendo games look fantastic in 1080p. Their art style would not benefit as much as a realistic looking game.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2016, 03:04:10 AM »
To counterpoint: http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

I don't really care about 4k. I can't get a big enough TV into my living room to make a difference. Heck, DVD vs Bluray doesn't seem worth it on half the movies...

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2016, 04:50:23 PM »
Well I expect it(as shown in the first post) and you guys better get ready for Nintendo to come out swinging for the fences on this hardware.  From what I understand, the NX will be closer to the Playstation4K in terms of specs rather than the original version. And let's face it guys, I'm more right about these things on this forum. Trust me! Wink.

twilight princess forward compatibility
Star Wars a trilogy of trilogies
Spider-Man in MCU
PlayStation 4K
And others...

Ok. None of those are really that hard to extrapolate from known information save for maybe the Twilight Princess, that **** was truly amazing. And if I am wrong, I'll give away $300 in free movies

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2016, 05:33:56 PM »
Well Mr. Boogie, that really isn't a risky bet.  I don't think the PS4.5 will be a huge upgrade.  Maybe a slight RAM boost and a slight chip upgrade.  I see it more like the New 3DS or dsi in terms of upgrades.  So if Nintendo isn't at least that powerful they already lost.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2016, 06:11:16 PM »
Of course it's not a risky bet, I already gave away $300free movies in the General Chat Forums. As for the specs for the ps4k, Neogaf poster(verified account) is saying the GPU  is at least 2x as fast plus other significant upgrades. I'm saying that even with that the NX will be closer to it if not better.

Edit: link to story on GAF http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1202462
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:23:17 AM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2016, 08:52:53 AM »
Well as the person who correctly predicted 3 things in that one Nintendo Direct last year, and who reads credible sources like Eurogamer, I can say Nintendo supporting 4K is bunk. The PS4k will not have 4K games so I think it's safe to say there will not be support for 4K on NX.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2016, 08:55:54 PM »
Support for 4K and 4K games are different things.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2016, 11:45:19 PM »
I know. But if a realistic version of the PS4K supports 4k only for video services, I'm not expecting NX to be at that level or better. Nintendo could very well zag after zigging for so long on the tech side. But considering what (little) we know right now, it's best to go with lowered expectations.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2016, 11:11:03 AM »
I would love for Nintendo to really go all in and make the best machine they can so there is no excuse then if it fails we will know that the truth is the world has moved on from Nintendo, and if it succeed we will know it was them being screwy all a long.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2016, 01:10:14 PM »
I would love for Nintendo to really go all in and make the best machine they can so there is no excuse then if it fails we will know that the truth is the world has moved on from Nintendo, and if it succeed we will know it was them being screwy all a long.

That's really all I've ever wanted.  Every gen from the N64 onwards there was a big "but they did this..." or "they didn't do this..." whenever you look at each console's performance in the marketplace.  The Cube was the closest they came to doing the best they could and still they didn't go online, didn't have DVD capabilities, used a smaller proprietary disc.  There was still weird stuff and a refusal to meet customer expectations or keep up with the competition.

I want to see Nintendo's Dreamcast.  I would hope it wouldn't share the same fate but Sega really didn't do anything obviously wrong.  It was a great console but Sega had hurt their brand with past dud products (a storm Nintendo will also have to weather) and didn't have the finances to hold on while they built it back up.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »
A console with a bunch of great games that sold like crap and had a screen in the controller?

The Wii U *is* the Dreamcast.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2016, 08:43:56 PM »
A console with a bunch of great games that sold like crap and had a screen in the controller?

The Wii U *is* the Dreamcast.
The Wii U is the evolution of the Dreamcast.  It's what Nintendo has wanted for a long time seeing as they tried GBA connectivity with the Gamecube and then DS connectivity with the Wii and Wii U.  The problem is only one person per room gets that screen.  They probably planned for the next iteration to have the ability to use four gamepads on one system but are now scratching it due to the failure of the Wii U.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2016, 12:40:14 AM »

I don't think it's that simple. Nintendo could make a really stellar piece of hardware and have no buy it (outside of the most supportive Nintendo fans) because they don't want to drop another $400 on a console when they already have a PS4 or XB1, even though they might want the Nintendo hardware and want to play Nintendo games. Just making the best machine they can could have been a viable strategy back when the Wii U launched, before everyone bought their next gen consoles, but it's probably not going to work now or be indicative of the general level of interest in Nintendo.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »
Why does it have to be $400 dollars? I am talking about Nintendo being smart business wise for a change and making a machine everyone would want and sucking it up enough to sell it for a fair price the market will accept. That very strategy has worked for Sony three out of the four generations they have been on the market. Cutting costs and being cheap has worked three out of the six consoles Nintendo has done that. Even still with strong sales they have only had solid support twice in their history and they fought tooth and nail for it back then, they have essentially given up in recent years.

ALso time doesn't stop the day Sony releases a PS4, the future keeps moving forward so if Nintendo makes a machine that can top the PS4 and has all the bells and whistles people want plus they keep making the great games people except and 3rd party companies return then there is no reason people won't abandon the machine that isn't doing what they want, or you know Nintendo could reach the 80+ million gamers who have yet to buy either console. Seriously this idea that they can't do it unless they do it on Sony's timetable is idiotic, plain and simple. Hell the reason Sony was successful in the first place was they made their own timetable they didn't sit around waiting for Nintendo to decide when the 'next gen' started.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:01:42 PM by supermario2k »

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »
If you want Nintendo to make the "best machine they can" that tops the PS4 and has all the bells and whistles, of course it's going to be at least $400 (do you think Sony's next supposed half-step console isn't going to cost at least that much?). Nintendo is diversifying now, but in the immediate future their ability to be profitable is still going to depend largely on the money they make on console and software sales. They can't afford to sell their console at a substantial loss or justify years of losses while they try to build up the userbase to their investors and make the money back later in the console's life. That's not going to fly at a company like Nintendo and they're not in such a horrible position that they need to take that kind of all-or-nothing risk.

The point isn't that time stops when Sony releases their console; it's that these people you're expecting to reach just spent $300-$400 on a console. Simply making a more powerful PS4 that also plays Nintendo games isn't enough for most people to justify dropping a similar amount of money a year or two later. If you're talking about reaching the market that has yet to buy a PS4 or XB1, most of those people are waiting for a more affordable console. Making a more powerful console at a similar (or higher) price isn't going to do much to move them.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2016, 05:56:08 PM »
You are forgetting the millions of people who haven't upgraded yet, there is still room to bring them in.
A machine that tops PS4 wouldn't be that expensive, Nintendo has a lot more money, patents, and good will with their tech partners than I think you give them credit for. Also they wouldn't have to suffer massive losses, Wii U was sold at a loss but it turned profitable with the first game sold, they could afford to sell it at just enough loss to make it profitable at 2 games sold and considering that Nintendo has a high attach rate there is a chance they could do it. Also they have sole consoles for a loss before they do it all the time it isn't a new business model.
They could make a machine that is competitive and sell it for a reasonable $350 and people will buy it over the other two for many reasons. One the people who HAVE upgraded don't represent the entire gaming population, 2, there is a large number of them who are waiting to see what NX is and are holding off for that very reason, 3, people switch mid-generation ALL THE TIME, 4, Nintendo is not as fragile as you think they are they can afford a couple of years of heavy losses if it turns them profitable in the long term which would make more sense than going bancrupt pinching pennies. BTW, Nintendo is not as "conservative" as people claim they in fact are the biggest risk takers in the damn industry, they just don't always pay off.

Asking them to make the machine the entire gaming community is begging for would NOT be bad business sense it would sell like hotcakes just on the EFFORT and excitement alone it would garner.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2016, 06:56:52 PM »
I'm not forgetting those people. Like I said, I think the reason most of them are waiting is because they don't want to spend $400 (or $350, which isn't going to be a huge difference to most people who think $400 is too much) on a console and they're waiting until current gen consoles become more affordable. I doubt most people outside of ardent Nintendo fans even know that the NX is a thing that will be talked about this year (thanks in large part to Nintendo's complete reluctance to talk about it themselves), so I don't think there are millions of people holding off on an upgrade to see what it is, especially since Nintendo hasn't even officially announced that it will be a home console. No one knew about it before the beginning of 2015, so it certainly wasn't the thing stopping people from upgrading in 2013 and 2014. Like I said, for most people it was price, and putting another $350 or $400 console on the market isn't going to solve that problem for them.

I do think that's the market that Nintendo should target, but I guess where we disagree is how they should go about doing it. I think they need to make the best console possible that they feel comfortable selling at $250 if they want to attract a lot of those people, regardless of how it stacks it up to the PS4, and you're also much more likely to attract people who already have a PS4 or XB1 that way.