Author Topic: Twilight Princess HD: Now with 100% more Amiibo!  (Read 33607 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight Princess HD: Now with 100% more Amiibo!
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2016, 12:42:03 AM »
I think it's pretty clear that TP HD is a rush job.  The Zelda WiiU delay coupled with the scant release schedule and warm reception of WW HD made it a viable option.  This is probably why we're not seeing as many gameplay improvements.

The game received the same improvements Wind Waker did.  Both games just edit what they can to better streamline them but leave some of the biggest flaws still there because they'd have to remake certain sections of the game to truly fix them.  Wind Waker just looks better because it was way more deeply flawed at the basic gameplay level, (seriously, the sailing controls were just complete **** in the original) which made these things easier to fix.  Wind Wakers biggest flaw, lack of dungeons is still there as well as the fact the dungeons in the game are still subpar when compared to other Zelda's since the original version of Wind Waker was incredibly rushed and unfinished.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2016, 02:10:40 PM »
I thought the sailing controls were just fine, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2016, 03:08:18 PM »
It was the wind controls that killed sailing for me in Wind Waker. Being able to change the wind direction on the fly is a key improvement for me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2016, 03:27:18 PM »
I thought the sailing controls were just fine, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
He's probably referring to having to change wind direction which was a massive pain in the ****. The Swift Sail changed Wind Waker exponentially. The game was just infinitely easier to play after getting it. Had Nintendo gone the extra mile and created a new dungeon or two from scratch just for the port, Wind Waker HD would have been perfect.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2016, 06:56:58 PM »
But you don't ever have to change direction when sailing. Hell, you have 90 degrees of maneuverability no matter what direction you choose to change the wind.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2016, 08:25:42 PM »
I used to believe the wind direction argument until I played it again a few years later (GCN version) and then I just didn't see it as much of an annoyance as it was before.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2016, 10:14:38 PM »
The game was just infinitely easier to play after getting it. Had Nintendo gone the extra mile and created a new dungeon or two from scratch just for the port, Wind Waker HD would have been perfect.

I agree.  I just wished they hadn't hidden the swift sail behind that auction mini-game. It should have been a more obvious upgrade. By the time I bought the game, I actually forgot how to get it and had to look it up online.

But you don't ever have to change direction when sailing. Hell, you have 90 degrees of maneuverability no matter what direction you choose to change the wind.

True, but Swift Sail was great for Tri-Force shards and finding all the fish to fill in the map.  I actually quite enjoyed these segments this time around...just freely circling the islands looking for the fish, treasure, etc.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »
He's probably referring to having to change wind direction which was a massive pain in the ****. The Swift Sail changed Wind Waker exponentially. The game was just infinitely easier to play after getting it.

Yep, the wind direction for sailing in the original were just terrible.  Especially when trying to 100% the game, having to constantly stop and change the direction of the wind to sail at full speed in a different direction got old very fast.  Basically the sailing mechanics in the original version of Wind Waker were like if when riding Epona in Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess, you have to stop and play her song every time you wanted her to run in a different direction at full speed.  That would have been considered unexceptable in those game and should be in Wind Waker as well.

Just by fixing that one mistake, Wind Waker HD almost became a new game for me.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2016, 02:04:10 PM »
If you were just going to go from one island to another, the wind direction wasn't an issue. If you wanted to explore though, it became tedious. The faster sailing though was the better improvement, the original boat speed was just so sloooooooow. However, if their claim that it couldn't have been faster because of system load times is true, I guess it's more forgivable than the wind direction thing.

However, they should have just given you the Swift Sail when you get the regular sail. They don't really make it obvious where the item is, and I may not have gotten it at all if I didn't know it was in the game and looked up where it was.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2016, 04:37:08 PM »
I can imagine the wind also made avoiding enemies somewhat annoying as well.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2016, 03:44:07 PM »
It did.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2016, 10:23:23 PM »
Got mine today. I'm really surprised how nice everything is. Very nice art plastered over box and the amiibo box. The Amiibo is WONDERFUL!! I actually feel kind of bad for having to take it out of the box. Like really bad.

The game isn't as blurry as before and some of the colors pop out better. Some of it shows it was a Gamecube game, but otherwise this is a more beautiful version of an already beautiful game.

The amiibo isn't pay2win. You can't reach the end of the Trial of Shadows until a certain point. It just throws you out after so many floors depending on your progress. So no you can't cheat the Golden Bug quest. So I kind of regret using the amiibo for that....

Also the opening was like 2 hours for me. By opening I mean from the start -> Forest Dungeon entrance. Didn't drag that bad at all. Nothing like Skyward Sword. So the pacing is still pretty good I think...

Note: The only fps drop I've noticed is when you fight King Bulbin in Kakariko Gorge and you ride through the water puddles. And that was only in that instance.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:27:49 PM by Triforce Hermit »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2016, 02:28:17 AM »
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I felt that Skyward Sword had a slightly quicker opening than Twilight Princess. I recall getting Fi and going down to the forest area in a shorter time compared to Twilight Princess.

Then again, it has been a while and both games are so deliberately paced.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2016, 02:34:33 AM »
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I felt that Skyward Sword had a slightly quicker opening than Twilight Princess. I recall getting Fi and going down to the forest area in a shorter time compared to Twilight Princess.

Noooooo way. Skyward Sword has the Loftwing search, teaching flying, and then the flight ceremony, and THEN finding Fi, and THEN going to the Sealed Grounds, and THEN the entirety of Faron Woods, and then the dungeon.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2016, 03:01:10 AM »

Noooooo way. Skyward Sword has the Loftwing search, teaching flying, and then the flight ceremony, and THEN finding Fi, and THEN going to the Sealed Grounds, and THEN the entirety of Faron Woods, and then the dungeon.
You forgot Groose and having to get the loaner sword you end up using for 15 minutes.

And Zelda pushing you off the statue for the sail cloth tutorial.

Also, with Fi around does the tutorial ever end?

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »
You forgot Groose and having to get the loaner sword you end up using for 15 minutes.

And Zelda pushing you off the statue for the sail cloth tutorial.

Also, with Fi around does the tutorial ever end?

Heh. I'm too kind of a person when I'm always thinking, "Hey, give Fi a break."

Maybe it was a time, place, and mood thing that is having think Skyward Sword's start was more breezy than Twilight Princess's start. Also a factor is that I enjoyed the two long-but-idyllic starts.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2016, 01:13:52 PM »
Bad News: Off-screen play will cause massive fps drop to play on the gamepad, especially around Lake Hylia.

Good News: You can switch between wolf and human by touching a symbol on the gamepad. Which is very convenient. Also they switched the rupee bag thresholds around. You have a bigger starting wallet (500) and the first upgrade goes up to 1000 instead of 600.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2016, 05:18:37 PM »
I think Skyward Sword benefits from Skyloft being quite large and having a lot of character(s). It certainly feels more alive than Ordon Village and there's lots more to explore. The Knight Academy has sidequests, the characters walking around town (and in houses) are much more varied, and I think Skyward Sword's opening moments are more interesting. Instead of making you feel helpless as a Wolf, they give you a lot of the tools you'll need to start exploring immediately and let you go off and adventure. It also helps that the surface world's design is very dungeon like.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2016, 09:05:18 PM »
It also helps that the surface world's design is very dungeon like.
Which one? There are 3 completely distinct and entirely disconnected surface world in Skyward Sword.

they give you a lot of the tools you'll need to start exploring immediately and let you go off and adventure.
And then Fi comes out and scolds you if you wander too far off during the Kikwi hunt. I am not even making that up.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2016, 09:44:02 PM »
...All of them? They're all very dungeon like, until you open up every shortcut, and they become playgrounds.

Did you mention you didn't like Fi? Cause I wasn't sure by how you referred to her. I thought, "you know, maybe that pokepal doesn't like Fi. But he seems to talk about her a lot so maybe it's one of those love/hate relationship things"

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2016, 01:50:25 AM »
Please direct any further enquiries on my opinion on Skyward Sword to my wonderful review of the game which can be found, freshly bumped for your enjoyment here.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2016, 08:25:44 AM »
...All of them? They're all very dungeon like, until you open up every shortcut, and they become playgrounds.

Did you mention you didn't like Fi? Cause I wasn't sure by how you referred to her. I thought, "you know, maybe that pokepal doesn't like Fi. But he seems to talk about her a lot so maybe it's one of those love/hate relationship things"

...are you shipping pokepal x Fi? Because I can get behind this.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.