Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663789 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (#Team2017 Wins Again!)
« Reply #1425 on: June 13, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »
4K Xbone S is real, if NX doesn't support 4K *at least for video services* then it's doomed from the beginning, again.

Is there actual demand for this?

My internet (download caps and speed) won't support 4k video content, and even if it would I'm not buying a new TV.

I'm not against seeing 4k support, but I am pretty solidly against paying extra for it.
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1426 on: June 13, 2016, 05:02:15 PM »
Well, every time Nintendo didn't have the new hot tech, it resulted in declining sales (aside from the Wii).  Judging from history, it could be a mistake not to.  Plus, 4K screens will only become more ubiquitous during the NX's life cycle.  Nintendo may not want to be last on this train. . .again.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: June 13, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
What do the third parties want?  If they feel this 4K stuff is important than the NX needs it.  If they don't then it probably will be fine without it.  Do what it is needed to stop the trend of games showing up on every platform but Nintendo's and the sales will improve.  Continue to almost intentionally maintain that status quo and the sales will just get worse with each gen.

Though I'm not particularly confident in Nintendo making the right call in what tech they don't need to support.  Just matching the competition on this stuff is probably the safest move.  My assumption is that they WON'T match it and that gives me another reason to hope and pray this iterative console stuff flops.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: June 13, 2016, 05:28:08 PM »
What do the third parties want?  If they feel this 4K stuff is important than the NX needs it.  If they don't then it probably will be fine without it.  Do what it is needed to stop the trend of games showing up on every platform but Nintendo's and the sales will improve.  Continue to almost intentionally maintain that status quo and the sales will just get worse with each gen.

Though I'm not particularly confident in Nintendo making the right call in what tech they don't need to support.  Just matching the competition on this stuff is probably the safest move.  My assumption is that they WON'T match it and that gives me another reason to hope and pray this iterative console stuff flops.
Everything I've heard/read is that there's no way the updated PS4/Xbone would be capable of running games, outside of very basic 2D games, in 4k.  It takes way too much processing power to do 4k.  So, I doubt third parties really care, none of the AAA third party games are going to be coming out in 4k anytime soon.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: June 13, 2016, 05:46:40 PM »
I don't think anyone knows exactly what the specs are for the updated consoles, but they could be sold at a loss, or very low profit margin for a while - but they will definitely be playing "real" games at 4K. The GTX 1070 can do it on the cheap, and the AMD 480 will probably be able to as well. Hell, the Nvidia Shield Android TV can play games at 4K.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:48:51 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: June 13, 2016, 07:08:04 PM »
You call it on the cheap, yet the 1070 by itself is more expensive than the Xbox 1 S.  You'd still need the CPU, MB, RAM, HDD or SSD, case and operating system on top of the 1070 to be able to do anything at all.

I'm pretty sure the Nvidia Shield will not natively play games in 4k.

However, it would be good for Nintendo do at least think about being able to display games in 4k, even if they have the tech level of the One S in the system.  Being left behind even that is not a good idea at this point.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: June 13, 2016, 08:29:31 PM »
Yes, the retail price for the 1070 is more than the Xbone S. The new AMD card is $199 though (retail), and Xbone S/PS4 will be using AMD still. However, Nvidia has already demoed a 1070 built-in to a motherboard (small, too).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: June 13, 2016, 08:37:33 PM »
So the Xbone S won't play games at 4K apparently, that will happen with next year's Project Scorpio. So, there's no reason to upgrade to the Xbone S unless you have a 4K TV that is not a smart TV, I guess.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: June 13, 2016, 08:45:58 PM »
I don't think it's intended as an upgrade as much as an alternative for people who don't currently own one and would prefer one that's not the size of a boxcar.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: June 13, 2016, 09:59:39 PM »
so project scorpio is what the Microsoft people call NX? :P
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: June 14, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »
Wait a minute, if Breath of the Wild is a launch game on NX, then NX is most likely PowerPC again, unless a new architecture (x86 or ARM) is why the port is taking a long time.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: June 14, 2016, 09:51:23 PM »
It's not like it's impossible to port something from one architecture to another. It happens all the time.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: June 14, 2016, 09:55:08 PM »
If they ever happen to officially reveal what the NX is, looks like, and/or does, can someone do me the favor of sending me a PM.

thanks,

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: June 14, 2016, 10:59:17 PM »
If they ever happen to officially reveal what the NX is, looks like, and/or does, can someone do me the favor of sending me a PM.

thanks,

Gotchu, fam
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: June 15, 2016, 01:10:47 AM »
Wait a minute, if Breath of the Wild is a launch game on NX, then NX is most likely PowerPC again, unless a new architecture (x86 or ARM) is why the port is taking a long time.

If you work for Nintendo and your job is coding Zelda then you're going to be a competent coder. The type of complexity  means you could pull it off on whatever cpu you work with. Iwata was a programmer, he most likely hired all the best programmers he could

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: June 15, 2016, 07:29:24 AM »
The other alternative is you don't do any CPU specific coding.  Let the compilers and API handle that.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: June 15, 2016, 06:39:04 PM »
Exactly. When I use unity most all my code goes to collision detection and physics. In one of the things I was programming I found a sure way to make the cpu slow the hell down. I'll make sure not to do that.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: June 15, 2016, 09:49:55 PM »
Not a rumor or speculation but Nintendo of Canada says they'll talk about NX in the fall. So sometime From September to December.

I think we all expected as much.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: June 16, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »
Fall is a little later than I was hoping for.  I was hoping for August, September isn't too bad, but anything after that is going to feel like it takes forever to come.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: June 16, 2016, 04:53:18 PM »
Nintendo has to be cognizant of the fact they can't lose hype between the console reveal and the console launch after the Wii U. I was listening to an old episode of RFN a little while ago and Dr. Metts brought up how there was a lot of hype around the Wii U at its first E3 (even from people who ran multi-platform or Playstation sites), but by the time the next E3 rolled around, a lot of the excitement was gone because it felt like the reveal and the initial excitement was such a long time ago. This episode was a couple months prior to the Wii U launching, so it's not as if he said this with the benefit of hindsight either.

If revealing the console this late allows them to keep a constant stream of headline-grabbing information flowing up to the console launching, it could end up working really well for them.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1445 on: June 16, 2016, 05:16:40 PM »
I'm slightly optimistic and slightly pessimistic regarding how Nintendo will handle the NX. It'll be an interesting year, for sure!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: June 16, 2016, 05:23:57 PM »
No one is reporting on the latest news: Nintendo is not interested in terraflops but content! You heard it hear first. Nintendo is once again stating they are concerned about matching technical specs of the competitors. Cue the rage!

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: June 16, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »
The language is very generic Nintendo PR speak, but disheartening anyway.  The first time I cared about hardware power was with Metroid Prime 3.  I saw how much work they had put into the worlds and all the talent and passion felt wasted compared to the contemporary systems.  Knowing what it could have been made me realize how nonsensical the nearly identical PR message behind the Wii that I had been defending was.  I may have that feeling when playing the new Zelda at some points too.

Not that I'm complaining.  If they need to do a relatively low power hybrid system to get back into profitability, then I'm glad they have the foresight to do it.  They need to stay in business to keep making great games, after all.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: June 16, 2016, 06:20:49 PM »
Nintendo of Canada eh?

I've been watching videos from this youtube channel all day.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZpmbKeSnKreOTk_5IwKsQQ

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: June 17, 2016, 02:24:43 AM »
Nintendo has to be cognizant of the fact they can't lose hype between the console reveal and the console launch after the Wii U. I was listening to an old episode of RFN a little while ago and Dr. Metts brought up how there was a lot of hype around the Wii U at its first E3 (even from people who ran multi-platform or Playstation sites), but by the time the next E3 rolled around, a lot of the excitement was gone because it felt like the reveal and the initial excitement was such a long time ago. This episode was a couple months prior to the Wii U launching, so it's not as if he said this with the benefit of hindsight either.

If revealing the console this late allows them to keep a constant stream of headline-grabbing information flowing up to the console launching, it could end up working really well for them.

Yeah the Wii U was revealed waaaaaaaay too soon. Two E3's and then all that time until the following November did not do it any favors. I'd say give us a 6 to 4 month heads up before releasing it to keep the hype fires burning.

Reggie saying that same old PR from a gajillion years ago for the most part is just talk but it's not something anyone wants to hear. That kind of PR is supposed to control the message and keep fans happy but in fact it will only just do the opposite because now even guys like me who loved the Wii and Wii U don't want to hear any excuses for weaker hardware again.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn