Author Topic: Mafia LXV: Super Smash Bros. for Mafia. Day 5. Final Destination! No items!  (Read 15512 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
And Fox only!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Announcements:

I'm not going to delay things like I sometimes will as I want to catch up on some sleep after a lot of late nights.

Results:

Stratos (Townie) - Death by Final Smash
Ceric (Townie) - Death by Vote
Insanolord (Townie) - Death by Mafia Thanks for doing the right thing there. Insanolord deserved it. 7 other posts in other threads over the last 3 days but couldn't bother to make another one here!

That leaves:

Stevey (Townie)
NuclearSpeed (Townie)
Ejamer (Detective)

against

Spak-Spang (Godfather)
Mop it Up (Goon 1)
Nickmitch (Goon 2)

That's a MAFIA VICTORY!

This game is over.

Post your comments below.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I have to say...I am happy the mafia team won...and Nickmitch and Mop_it_up did a great job hiding their roles. 

I feel I didn't do a great job.

But I will say this mafia victory is partially due to the fact that (I believe) the detective did not play the game actively. 
My suspicion is that the detective was inactive which lead to the townies not having good information.

The item idea was interesting...next time I think not knowing the item number placement would be better for balance. 
and finally, just like the real game Smash Balls are too powerful...so I give extra points for accuracy in replicating the game.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
But I will say this mafia victory is partially due to the fact that (I believe) the detective did not play the game actively. 
My suspicion is that the detective was inactive which lead to the townies not having good information.

Eh, I tried to be active... first time playing forum Mafia though, and nobody seemed to want to post anything in the forum so...  *shrugs*

Peeked at pokepal, he died (vote) the next day. Peeked at decoyman, he died (mafia) the next day.  Peeked at NuclearSpeed and Insanolord, but it hardly mattered by that point - once Mop had the smash ball townies were screwed regardless. That gave away nickmitch yesterday with his late vote, but the only viable action was hope I was wrong and Mop wouldn't use the smash ball to dastardly effect.

I'd suggest that voting wasn't what killed us, it was the Hypo slip up about his item, followed by him getting a poison mushroom (and low townie voter turn out) the next day that ended things.

Is communication in these games always so limited?  I mean, voting records were poor and quite a few people didn't post anything of substance. 

Are people being super active with PMs?  One person sent me PMs asking for info, and I had no idea if that was normal or weird or what.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Strategy speaking the most active players get killed the first few days.  Personally w/ items I think the Mafia was too big.  The detective has an interesting role.  They are really the only one that can build a trusted alliance.  Talk more when at computer.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
egamer:  Don't feel bad.  The first 3 games I played I was killed day one...a tradition that thankfully is broken these days is killing the newest player first.  Then Khush PMed during games and taught me a lot.

Most of the talking happens in private messages if you want to try and trust people.  You can read votes or try to...but honestly it is hit and miss.  However, what you do in private messages and who you trust and how you verify is important.  Basically, if you are a townie the only hope you have is to take a risk and trust another person...talking to them in PMs.

I had no idea that you were the detective and I was looking for wording or hints but didn't see any.  You did a good job hiding.  Unfortunately for you, I got very lucky on my hits and people you inspecting getting voted out or killed...you never could build an alliance. 

Honestly, items played very little in this victory.  2 items were used in this game...and I agree one was overpowered...however, townies were still going to lose 2 people that day...it would have been 3 to 4...still plausible...but harder. 

I think the biggest imbalance was knowing what item number your item was.  That gave mafia a huge advantage because we knew how to use our items or collect them.  I really liked most of the aspects of the items, but thought they were too powerful...my initial ideas for items tweaked the game, but were less powerful I think.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Just for the record, my death was completely unintentional. Hypo just happened to be the sucker who got my shroom.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I disagree.  Items had a relatively large effect on this game because it really tilted it to Mafia favor.  4 Mafia I think was too much.  Though I really hate the Mafia knowing its full team from the beginning.

I also think the Detective should not be a night action par se.  You should be able to investigate once per day but get the results during the day.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
I disagree.  Items had a relatively large effect on this game because it really tilted it to Mafia favor.  4 Mafia I think was too much.  Though I really hate the Mafia knowing its full team from the beginning.

I also think the Detective should not be a night action par se.  You should be able to investigate once per day but get the results during the day.

It was that way. Just not played very well.
 ;)

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile

Eh, to be honest I think hypo kinda broke the whole thing with his big revelation (and being my fourth vote, seriously I think we should go ahead and give him MVP status for the mafia)

But still, I know that there was an assist trophy in play for the townies to use from killing lucariofan99 (i'd asked him what he had in an attempt to determine how much it would threaten the mafia but I was killed before he responded so I never informed the others) but that never got played which is curious.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:43:38 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
But still, I know that there was an assist trophy in play for the townies to use from killing lucariofan99 (i'd asked him what he had in an attempt to determine how much it would threaten the mafia but I was killed before he responded so I never informed the others) but that never got played which is curious.

Do tell?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Actually, Hypo played quite well for a townie.  Managed to guess accurately 2 mafia with heavy suspicion on the 3rd.  If he had stuck to his guns townies could be in a better position.

Ceric the mafia has to know all its members...that is thegame, can a small minority with knowledge beat a vastly larger majority without knowledge.

The mafia got extremely lucky, killing the doctor day one...that and finding the whore made it easier.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:41:20 PM by Spak-Spang »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
I guess I should have read the thread better. I thought Hypo was mafia trying to scare me into revealing some role I had.

Good play, mafia!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NuclearSpeed

• Cocaine is a hell of a drug
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Good game to the mafia, they did exactly what needed to be done.

I had the assist trophy from the Day 1 vote, but did not know if it was the Nightmare or the Nintendog. If it was the Nintendog than the mafia could wasily vote for anyone they wanted and they would have 3 votes, the townies would not know where to target their votes. Nightmare would have been a hope as it randomized votes after it was played, but I just thought it was too risky to play.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Actually, Hypo played quite well for a townie.  Managed to guess accurately 2 mafia with heavy suspicion on the 3rd.  If he had stuck to his guns townies could be in a better position.

Ceric the mafia has to know all its members...that is thegame, can a small minority with knowledge beat a vastly larger majority without knowledge.

The mafia got extremely lucky, killing the doctor day one...that and finding the whore made it easier.

I have to say I was glad to see Hypo join in. In the past, I know he's played and been more quiet, so I hope in the future, he'll keep up the enthusiasm.

That said, I think the Smash Ball attempt put a price on his head, and then by affirming it was in item slot number one, it was made certain only the mafia could safely get their hands on it. I don't blame him for rallying a vote against me. That was a good move if he was suspicious of my motive, though I didn't do anything but begin to defend myself and go after a prize called Smash Ball!

That said, Spak, I really think you overplay your role in winning. Day one's hit on the doctor was luck. Day 2, because of my schedule, I had limited time to rally people to my aid, and instead had to come public to at least live through the vote, a move which, with ejamer's help, resulted in the death of a mafia member.

Further, I did approach you for assistance, where you attempted to remain too aloof and confused to provide aid, while keeping a vote focused on me. By the end of the day, I was certain you were in the mafia. You can even go back and look at your private messages. You'll notice a shift in my attitude when I said you could do whatever you want. That was the point where I realized your role.

Now, the reason why you weren't voted out on day 3? Because one of your other players did a much better job concealing their identity. I contacted Mop it and NuclearSpeed for assistance as well, as they were online. NuclearSpeed was open to listening, and ultimately, was instrumental in keeping me from death. Mop it up played, responded, and wrote exactly like she does when she's a townie. I actually started the day suspecting her. I think I even had the bird quack at her in the middle of the Hypo stuff to indicate that. I believed her so much so to the extent that I passed on my suspicions about you to her, believing she'd carry them on if I died.

When day 3 became about killing Hypo for the Smash Ball, I still had no idea she was mafia. I figured she was making a Pichu move, winning a great item, but basically hurting herself in the process, and it wasn't until she lived through the night that her role was clear.

Had I not believed who she was, I would've tried to aim NuclearSpeed to go at you, specifically, and try to rally all the other players, and the game would have been pretty different. The mafia won, but I have got to say, the player I saw as instrumental in victory was Mop it up more than anyone else.

Nickmitch didn't vote with any subtlety. I imagine soon enough, someone would choose to vote him out. Pokepal, though, I had no idea about, and only voted for him to save my skin.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Some day, I'll have my revenge.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
thatguy:  Please understand...I am not crediting my play for the victory at all.  All I am saying is my dumb luck of killing the doctor and being able to vote out you was crucial to the victory.  It would have made it much harder if that was not the case.

In fact, I nearly put the entire mafia at risk trying to save Pokepal, and really I should have let him die, because of his item...which we talked about...but I figured having him alive is better than dead, because the next day he would have been voted out...giving us another day with a hit. 

I actually did not play a good game, and I credit Mop It Up and Nickmitch both with being better concealed and playing a stronger game. 

The items changed the game...but I don't think the number of mafia players was off, because it could have done very differently...

For the record, I tried to play the game like I normally do as a townie.  I talked to people, role played, through out wild accusations.  Was willing to vote first, because of my time schedule.  My problem is exactly what you mentioned...in PMs if you act like you believe someone long enough, but don't change your actions you are giving away your guilt.  I was trying to act as if I didn't totally trust you...because really if I was a townie, I wouldn't know if I could. 

I also was contemplating hitting egamer earlier, but decided not to, because it would have seemed too obvious a mafia move potentially confirming Pokepal and me as mafia.  Now that I think about it...I should have because it was fairly obvious what role he had...but hindsight is 20/20.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Good game to the mafia, they did exactly what needed to be done.

I had the assist trophy from the Day 1 vote, but did not know if it was the Nightmare or the Nintendog. If it was the Nintendog than the mafia could wasily vote for anyone they wanted and they would have 3 votes, the townies would not know where to target their votes. Nightmare would have been a hope as it randomized votes after it was played, but I just thought it was too risky to play.

This was wise.  Because well the mafia could have voted for the same person 3 times, and hopefully the randomization meant that a different person would get 3 votes.  Some of the items were just too Kooky for strategy.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Some of the items were just too Kooky for strategy.

So, very true to the source material, then.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Add another tally to my win column, Khush.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Lets face it. I pretty much ruined the game for the townies, focusing all attention on me. Though I will definitely give credit where it's due and say Mop IT Up straight up fooled me by voting just behind the detective towards Pokepal. She played fantastically. The only redeeming thing I had going this game were my other guesses for mafia.

Anyway, I'd like to play again with the same rules, now that I know what they are.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Smash masfia round 2 after some item balancing changes...yes please.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
I wish I could say that we planned all this, but we got some lucky breaks. Then again, as the old saying goes, "Fortune favours the bold."

Is communication in these games always so limited?  I mean, voting records were poor and quite a few people didn't post anything of substance.
Back in the hayday of this game there used to be a lot more activity in day threads, but participation and activity has been dwindling with each game as of late. It's a shame.

I think you did a fine job for your first game. You tried your best to participate but luck was against you, plus the aforementioned problem of lower activity. Still, I hope you'll join future games, we could always use more players.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Ugh, sorry guys. I thought the thatguy vote was going to stick. I was thinking after he got voted out and revealed some townie, it would help make me look innocent that I didn't vote for that and keep suspicion off me. Especially since people seem to be onto Spak-Spang.

The shroom scare as I call it
If I get voted out mop it up will get the poison shroom...

Basically that whole day went something like this from our perspective

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Don't forget: I'm basically the Tom Brady of this ****.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.