Author Topic: Let's Talk Amiibo!  (Read 147585 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Amiibo!
« Reply #500 on: November 01, 2016, 12:57:22 AM »
Only thing that matters to me right now are the Monster Hunter amiibo.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 01, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »

Ooh!  I might be in for some of that action.

(Again, more for the figures than for the Amiibo functionality... although maybe Capcom will do better integrating in-game functionality than Nintendo ever managed to?)
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #502 on: November 01, 2016, 12:33:09 PM »

How can you say that when we're about to enter into a post-Waluigi amiibo world?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #503 on: November 01, 2016, 02:39:53 PM »
What's Waluigi?

I know it sounds like a Mario character, but there's a full group of six amiibo hitting this week (DK, Diddy, trollop, Wario, Best Princess and Boo). Ain't never heard of this last one.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 01, 2016, 04:57:37 PM »
I already preordered Waluigi and Rosalina so I'm not worried about them anymore.
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 01, 2016, 05:53:50 PM »
What's Waluigi?

I know it sounds like a Mario character, but there's a full group of six amiibo hitting this week (DK, Diddy, trollop, Wario, Best Princess and Boo). Ain't never heard of this last one.

trollop = Rosalina
Best Princess = Daisy

Right?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #506 on: November 01, 2016, 08:19:53 PM »
How dare you, sir.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 01, 2016, 08:25:23 PM »
So, your one of those people, are you? No wonder these forums can't attract more visitors. We've got staff that think Rosalina is better than Daisy scaring them away.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #508 on: November 01, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
Just looking to get Mario Party: Star Rush without any amiibo this Friday. Will probably check out the amiibo at a later date.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 01, 2016, 11:14:15 PM »

Ooh!  I might be in for some of that action.

(Again, more for the figures than for the Amiibo functionality... although maybe Capcom will do better integrating in-game functionality than Nintendo ever managed to?)

Oh man, the Monster Hunter ones are sweet! Do you think that Capcom will bring them over here? Because if not there's always importing them through EBay...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 05, 2016, 09:54:49 AM »
I believe they will, because there has yet to be an amiibo that has not come over here. We will probably see them in the Spring, possibly with the Switch launch if Double Cross turns out to be on Switch (hoping that is the case!).
My Game Collection

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 05, 2016, 12:59:28 PM »
omg omg omg if Monster Hunter comes to Switch right out the gates then my brother already told me I'd need to get two, one for each of us!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 05, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »
Seems likely. Monster Hunter XX (Gen U) is releasing in March, and they could very easily make it a dual release with cross saves between the 3DS and Switch versions like they did with MH3U on 3DS and Wii U.
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 31, 2017, 08:05:51 PM »
Someone help me. I'm starting to fall victim to the allure of Amiibo. And not even the useful Amiibo that are used a lot such as Mario or Link. I seem to want the limited use ones.

Now, I know I can't claim complete avoidance of Amiibo up to this point. I've fully dived into the Animal Crossing Amiibo Card section of this insidious consumerism. And then I got all the actual Animal Crossing Amiibo figures once they started getting discounted since I was in a real love affair with Animal Crossing. (Although they keep getting their price slashed further and further making me wish I had waited for more than just 50% off.) At the same time, I remember after buying the last few figures and complete the AC set, this tinge of regret like I had just wasted a bunch of money. It was a weird love/hate reaction of liking the figures and characters but feeling they were quite pointless.

Aside from the AC Amiibo, there was only one other Amiibo I owned and that is the Chibi-Robo Amiibo but it was sold with Zip Lash and the only way to buy that game at first was with the Amiibo included. Yet I was ok with that since I've got a soft spot for Chibi-Robo ever since his first GC game earned him a lot of gaming goodwill from me.

That Amiibo situation changed this weekend. I went a-travelling to various EBGame stores (aka Canadian Gamestop) because I found out a couple days ago that they were doing another buy 2 used games get 1 free deal and I took advantage of that to score some good deals on games in March and found a lot of worthwhile deals from it. My hope was that maybe I could score a cheaper copy of Kirby Planet Robobot but the amount of used games available in stores was very sparse. Not like in March where I picked up a huge selection of titles. Maybe the New 2DS caused people to pick up more 3DS titles than trade them in.

However, during this journey, the Amiibo selection was next to the shelves so I was noting what was around these days. I kept seeing the latest Pikmin Amiibo on shelves and I did like the look if it with all the Pikmin cloistered around the broken cinder block. Came to one store and they had the BOTW Guardian Amiibo in stock. So, I thought, what the heck. I'll buy it and the Pikmin Amiibo. I think the Guardian Amiibo is supposed to be hard to find.

Well, now I'm suddenly interested in Amiibo. I mean, I was already highly tempted by the upcoming Metroid Amiibo so I'm definitely going to try and buy that now. As well, the upcoming BOTW Champion 4-pack does interest me more than most of the other BOTW Amiibo (besides the Guardian Amiibo and Zelda herself) although I wish they had gone with the Champion descendants like Prince Sidon and Riju and... the other two. At least you spend time and talk to them more in the game while the old Champion's are relegated to flashbacks and people talking about them.

In any case, it seems Nintendo has stepped up their Amiibo game since the newer unrelated-to-Smash stuff has started interesting me more. I started looking up all the Amiibo that have been released so far and trying to find pricing as to what might be cheaply acquired and what is still expensive/rare. I didn't see many deals from online suppliers however. The AC Line can definitely be bought on the cheap but after that it's all a grey murky area. I always thought the whole Amiibo line would crash at some point and then I might be able to swoop in and buy them all on the cheap like what is happening to the AC line but so far that hasn't really happened. There are a few things that can be found slightly discounted. I guess the Waluigi and Daisy Amiibo's aren't selling since Toys R Us has them 30% off. EBGames has the Mii Fighter 3 pack down to $12.00. I've seen the Famicom ROB, Star Fox, Falco and Zero Suit Samus down $3-4 from regular price. Otherwise, most Amiibo seem to be holding steady.

My travels brought me across and Alm/Celia Amiibo 2 pack so I bought that since Fire Emblem Amiibo always seem to be rare and are probably the third most used kinds of Amiibo after the Mario and Zelda brands. I also picked up a Meta Knight Amiibo from the Kirby line since he also seems to be more popular. I also saw a bunch of Bayonetta, Cloud and Corrin Player 1 Amiibos out but I have no affinity towards those characters nor have I even bought their Smash DLC yet. Did think about getting the Corrin though because of the rare and FE used more often reason but didn't feel like going completely wild with Amiibo yet.

That said, on eBay, I saw one person selling a lot of 70 Amiibo consisting of mainly the Smash and Mario line with a lot of the harder to find ones included like Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena, Meta Knight, King Dedede and such. That would cost about $900 yet if you consider the average Amiibo is $15.00 in Canada, it works out to about cost. So, sure I could catch right up on the whole Amiibo craze but do I really want to spend over $1000 for these trinkets. Because that's what it's going to be to collect them all and there's a good chance I'll start trying to do that if I begin acquiring a bunch of these and I still have my doubts as to how useful these things will ever be.

Anyways, there's some Amiibo talk for you and this thread.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 31, 2017, 09:11:14 PM »
I'm thinking about picking up a few more Amiibo... but it's a hard sell for anything but my favorite characters because they are essentially just shelf decorations. I had low expectations for Nintendo ever doing anything useful, and they've skillfully undershot those targets.

But yes, the Pikmin and Metroid ones look great. Definitely ones I'll keep an eye open for.

I'm also keen to finish off my Animal Crossing set (maybe... I've got the characters I care about, so if it doesn't happen I won't really care) and replace my "pee stick" Link with a better version. 8-Bit Link jumps to mind if I see one at retail price anywhere, or maybe the gorgeous Wind Waker set of Link+Zelda. Stumbling across those sculpts seems unlikely unless a reprint happen though...
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 31, 2017, 09:56:12 PM »
I have more Amiibo than I know what to do with. I don't know how it's come to this. I've reached a point in which I actually end up feeling whatever the opposite of buyer's remorse is when I don't buy an Amiibo I see in stores only for the price to skyrocket because it becomes difficult to find. I had my chance to get Callie and Marie, but I thought I could get them cheaper online. Did I really want the Callie and Marie Amiibo, or did I want them because they were new and cool looking?

I recommend stepping out of the Amiibo hunting game if at all possible. They're nice decorations. Recently, I looked at my collection and wondered why I have so many of these things yet I'll be there when the Samus/Metroid two-pack launches because I'm an a-hole.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 31, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »
I'm thinking about picking up a few more Amiibo... but it's a hard sell for anything but my favorite characters because they are essentially just shelf decorations. I had low expectations for Nintendo ever doing anything useful, and they've skillfully undershot those targets.

Well, that's because the logistics of Amiibo put Nintendo in a weird bind. How many Amiibo did they have to release for Smash Bros.? 60? Something like that. So, they release those characters in stages. But then some of those characters get game entries released in the franchise later on. So, Nintendo adds Amiibo Functionality for them to give people a bit more bang for their buck. However, if those characters are sold out and hard to find, does Nintendo release more of that character every time a game comes out? How much supply do they need to meet the demand because, at some point, some gamers are inevitably going to be left out unless they flood the market which Nintendo won't do.

Instead, the thinking seems to be to almost replace the Smash Bros. Amiibo with new lines or new iterations for new games released. Sure, they might include some special abilities for the Smash characters compared to the new ones but how long can they keep supporting or adding special features in for figures that they aren't going to reprint or can not be found by the public anymore blocking them out of game content? Moreoever, I don't think Amiibo are backwards compatible. Maybe I'm wrong but if you but the Kirby line of Amiibo, will they work the same as the Smash characters in Kirby Rainbow Curse Wii U? Regardless, it is not like Alm or Celica will do anything in Fates or Project S.T.E.A.M or am I wrong?

Thus, there are all kinds of issues about how to make use of Amiibo with regards to game functionality and, in the end, most Amiibo are almost game specific with a few rare and lucky ones getting a bit more functionality than most.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 31, 2017, 10:54:24 PM »
On another note, I think the other reason Amiibo have been as popular as they are is the packaging. In one used game store, they had some Amiibo for sale but they didn't look that great or impressive clustered together on their own. But in the packaging with the big plastic bubble around them, they look cooler and more interesting. More special. Or maybe that's just me.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 01, 2017, 09:03:22 AM »
I had successfully climbed out of the Amiibo hole, then I came across the Breath of the Wild Amiibo, felt compelled to get a few. 

Now I see a few stores near me have the original Cloud Amiibo....a figurine for one game that I only play when friends are visiting, but nostalgia is pushing hard for it. 

I've gotten to a point where if I just avoid the game aisles in a store, I can move on with my day.  Better just get back into that discipline.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #519 on: August 01, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »
I've purchased quite a few amiibo now, and I feel as though I really need to slow down.  I've decided not to buy the Zelda Champion amiibo, but if I see a Majora's Mask Link or Skyward Sword Link at a reasonable price, I'll probably jump to complete my set.  I also think I have a preorder for the Metroid amiibo somewhere, but those are favorites, so I can kinda make the excuse.  It's easy for me to avoid the new FE amiibo, since I  don't have and might not get the game.  But I did get Cloud P1 and Bayonetta P1 for the novelty.  I also go the new Inkling amiibo because I dunno.  I wasn't going to get the squid, but I might now.  Who knows?

I do feel the remorse for not getting some of them.  There were weeks when Marth amiibo were just hanging on the shelves of my local Target, and then one day they were gone and selling on eBay for pretty big markups.  I thought they'd get marked down, but they just sold out.  It's a total crap shoot as to which amiibo are going to be rarities down the line.

It's kind of hard to stop once you get started.  I dunno if Nintendo planned on making the buying of amiibo this addictive, but if they did, their plan worked.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 05, 2017, 01:11:35 AM »
I'm burned out on amiibo. I'm waiting until the Zelda Champion amiibo release and I'm buying a pack of the RFID Zelda cards floating around to get the extra goodies in the game. I might even sell off some of the figures I'm less attached too. I'll still buy ones I really like, but I'm done fighting to get them. I'll check online and if they are available at a reasonable price I'll pick them up.

Nintendo's crappy supply issues for all of their products has done me in. No NES Mini, not going to fight for an SNES either, and amiibo need to be my favorite figures.
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #521 on: August 07, 2017, 09:07:36 AM »
I saw some BotW Zelda and Archer Link amiibo at my local target today.  Almost grabbed them (especially Zelda), but decided against.  (Mostly due to the fact that I already had quite a bit in needed grocery items, and those amiibo are a few dollars more than normal ones.)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 08, 2017, 02:59:30 AM »
I'm burned out on amiibo. I'm waiting until the Zelda Champion amiibo release and I'm buying a pack of the RFID Zelda cards floating around to get the extra goodies in the game.

Don't.

Get an N2Elite.  If you're going to support piracy, at least be smart about it.  For the prices those sets of bootleg cards go for, you could get the N2Elite and have access to every amiibo ever.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 08, 2017, 03:16:52 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I might bite on this. The cool thing I liked about the bootleg cards was that they have mini versions which I could pack in the case instead of dragging out my figures to scan for outfits daily. But this would get me everything in one go.
My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 08, 2017, 03:21:51 PM »
Also, Fem Corn is up again on amazon for those still needing her.
My Game Collection