Author Topic: Let's Talk Amiibo!  (Read 147595 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Amiibo!
« Reply #450 on: June 28, 2016, 12:44:43 PM »
Ok so I don't know if this is something I can talk over here but since its related to Amiibo, I guess I can so pardon me if its not appropriate for this to be expressed here.

So I want to know over here like......is there any differences between Amiibo and DLC? Like I don't see why people are complaining about locked amiibo content here seeing as how a lot of them is optional and that it doesn't hinder the overall experience.

I myself am not forced to get one and I don't feel like getting one either simply because...well, its optional and no one's forcing you to get them.

And yet, people rant about them like they are needed for the overall experience. I can understand them not getting the supplies but then again, Nintendo didn't even know that they would print so much money.....

The main difference (as I see it) between Amiibo and standard DLC is availability. Tying content to Amiibo means that portion of the game isn't generally available unless the required Amiibo can be easily found and purchased.  With DLC, presumably anyone who owns the game can download it.  So it creates scarcity without good reason - often exacerbated by the way Nintendo handled Amiibo stock and rarity early on.

At this point I don't care very much though.  Which seems to be the state of Amiibo in general?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 28, 2016, 02:25:12 PM »
The content amiibo unlock is way less important than the actual figures themselves.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 28, 2016, 11:30:04 PM »
Agreed, but do note that the wolf link unlock in BotW is one of the first 'substantial' unlocks in a 1st party game. That and Shovel Knight are the only two amiibo unlocks I would consider essential.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #453 on: June 29, 2016, 11:23:21 PM »
What about the FE characters in Codename S.T.E.A.M.?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 30, 2016, 12:18:01 AM »
Agreed, but do note that the wolf link unlock in BotW is one of the first 'substantial' unlocks in a 1st party game. That and Shovel Knight are the only two amiibo unlocks I would consider essential.

The Shovel Knight co-op gameplay is really good and worth the price of (Amiibo MSRP) admission if you have a local friend.
Hopefully that Amiibo isn't too hard to find?  I don't honestly have any idea about scarcity but would worry that a third party figure wouldn't see as much support as first-party ones.

The Zelda functionality looks very cool... but I'd have to rebuy and also play through Twilight Princess again to get the unlock?  Going to take a reluctant pass on that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:23:40 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 01, 2016, 01:24:10 AM »
Wolf Link amiibo is available solo in other countries and we can probably expect the same thing to happen here later this Summer or even next year when the game releases. You can always find a country with a good exchange rate w/ US and import. I did that for hard to find Robin and Lucina and ended up paying less than US MSRP including shipping (thanks Australia!)
My Game Collection

Offline Socar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 02, 2016, 04:04:15 PM »

Considering that we still haven't seen the 99% of the game, I think that Wolf's link is just optional and its more of a "if you find things too hard" situations.

Still, I find that mentality that amiibo's are bad because of this locked content lame because they are just figures and that addition is something you can only use if you have specific games which not everyone is going to get.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 08, 2016, 09:20:12 AM »
Anyone looked into Custom amiibo or can recommend any custom amiibo creators? Looking to learn more about the scene / see if there's anything site-wise I can do with that.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 08, 2016, 10:49:01 AM »
Anyone looked into Custom amiibo or can recommend any custom amiibo creators? Looking to learn more about the scene / see if there's anything site-wise I can do with that.

You could start by checking the "Customs" tab on R/amiibo on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/amiibo/

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 08, 2016, 04:59:27 PM »
https://www.etsy.com/listing/262249337/custom-disney-infinity-scrooge-mcduck

This gal on Etsy has some very nice ones. Link is for her Scrooge McDuck custom. She does both Disney Infinity and amiibo.
My Game Collection

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 08, 2016, 05:54:35 PM »

Did I post my 'custom' Pikachu here?

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/472My/new

Not very helpful though...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 08, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »
https://www.etsy.com/listing/262249337/custom-disney-infinity-scrooge-mcduck
This gal on Etsy has some very nice ones. Link is for her Scrooge McDuck custom. She does both Disney Infinity and amiibo.

Damn, her Hinoka custom looks really good.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 09, 2016, 02:59:34 AM »
Got five new amiiibo yesterday and 7 (!) packages in the mail from eBay sellers.

Waiting on three more eBay packages and Khush's package and I'll be at 107+406 for a nice, complete set. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 09, 2016, 11:29:22 PM »
One more pack (two cards) today along with the two official dioramas from Japan (which *really* should have been released here... they're pretty dang cool).  11 Series 4 cards and 1 Japanese promo card to go... just waiting for them to arrive. :D

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 10, 2016, 12:22:47 AM »
Wait, are we up to 107 already? Oh wait, are you including the 7 Super Mario series that aren't out in the states yet? Or do you mean the Monster Hunter Generations ones? (Actually, have we had any confirmation that the monster hunter ones are coming to the states? ... if not, I might have to brave EBay again *shudder*)

GAH! And you collect the dioramas too!?!? That's where I draw the line! Haha!

BTW, thanks everyone for the custom amiibo leads!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: July 10, 2016, 09:34:59 AM »
107 Released.

Nintendo of America tweeted celebrating 100 with the release of the new Splatoon amiibo...

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/751449519200542720

But they didn't include Gold Mega Man, Shovel Knight, the four Skylanders/amiibo, or the Shadow Mewtwo card.

2 Mario 30th
16 Animal Crossing
1 Chibi Robo
4 Kirby
1 Shovel Knight
4 Skylanders
8 Splatoon
8 Super Mario
56 Smash
1 Zelda
4 Yoshi
1 Mega Man
1 Pokken Card
403 Animal Crossing cards
2 Japanese Promos
1 Error Card

And I wasn't going to get the dioramas... but man, they look so sweet.  Picked up the pair on Amazon for about $35, so figured why not? :D

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 10, 2016, 03:57:36 PM »
You don't have to brave eBay, just use Amazon Japan. You can now order from them and ship to the states. There are also other sites like AmiAmi where you can typically order for reasonable prices.
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #467 on: July 10, 2016, 09:54:31 PM »
Do you need a separate login for Amazon Japan?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 11, 2016, 03:28:04 PM »
Three packs arrived today, including my lovely Japanese Isabelle promo.  Super-Sweet. :D

Just waiting on one pack of nine cards from fellow forumer Khush... and I'll be DONE. :D

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 12, 2016, 07:24:08 PM »
Do you need a separate login for Amazon Japan?

Not that I heard. You just have to go to the amazon jp site and login there for it to work. Not all items can be shipped to states though.
My Game Collection

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 13, 2016, 08:33:57 PM »
Just waiting on one pack of nine cards from fellow forumer Khush... and I'll be DONE. :D
Sure you'll be done.  Until the next ones come out.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 13, 2016, 10:36:15 PM »
You need to create a Japanese account. I had to do one when I ordered a few amiibo from the UK Amazon store.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 14, 2016, 12:01:47 AM »
Sure you'll be done.  Until the next ones come out.

Well, A.) Apparently, I marked one of the cards in my spreadsheet wrong and Khush is only sending me 8.  Damn him for not sending me a card that he didn't have extra and wasn't part of the original deal.  Anywhoo, had to grab it on eBay, so now I sit lonely, waiting on two packages.

B.) When I said DONE, I meant with the trading cards.  A thorn in my side.  The figures, I can just go out, buy, and be done.  Blind pack trading cards suck. :(

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 14, 2016, 01:31:03 AM »
Yeah, I'm definitely NOT buying into the inevitable Pokemon Amiibo Trading Cards.

Unless... unless they help somehow in Pokemon Go...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 15, 2016, 09:07:24 PM »
Well, A.) Apparently, I marked one of the cards in my spreadsheet wrong and Khush is only sending me 8.  Damn him for not sending me a card that he didn't have extra and wasn't part of the original deal.  Anywhoo, had to grab it on eBay, so now I sit lonely, waiting on two packages.

This last eBay card came today - so now I'm just left waiting on the Poor Man's Pony Express (Canadian Mounties) to deliver Khush's package...  So close....