Author Topic: Let's Talk Amiibo!  (Read 147582 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Let's Talk Amiibo!
« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2015, 08:54:07 PM »
Spoilers; All the scalpers are Nintendo employees.

Follow the money.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2015, 09:14:37 PM »
I wonder if scalpers have to pay a capital gains tax.

Or if they even report their income to the IRS.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2015, 09:21:18 PM »
I'm glad that I realize Amiibo are stupid and I will never own any.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 04, 2015, 07:14:11 AM »
Let's be real, here. How much of an impact is the Amiibo craze going to have on the remaining life of the n3DS and Wii U? Is their profit margin enough to even things out for Nintendo? I know quite a few of them have sold but these are not 200 dollar consoles like the Wii. I'm honestly surprised they've even sold that much considering you need two insanely niche pieces of hardware to take advantage of them.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 04, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »
How many pieces of collectors items are there available of Shulk? Lucina? Robin? Ness? Of many of the newer waves? They either don't exist or are even rarer then the actual amiibo. The people who are fighting tooth and nail over the amiibo aren't buying them for their digital unlocks. It is because its a statue of Shulk/Ness/Pit/etc who has nothing else out there and fans want it. That is not to say there aren't people buying it for the digital unlocks, but they are in the minority.

And scalpers are buying them too for obvious reasons in massive orders. Funny thing about. After the Toys "R" Us servers crashed from the first wave of pre-orders, they then made the amiibo a "one-per customer" item.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #255 on: April 04, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »
Amiibos can probably keep Nintendo's cashflows up for a while, if they can keep them stock.  They don't necessarily need to keep the consoles afloat if they can maintain both revenues and social currency with Amiibo sales.  They can be effectively "worthless" outside from collectibility, but most retail buyers probably weren't planning on opening the packaging anyway.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 04, 2015, 11:00:39 PM »
Is it too late to try and start a full collection? I have:

Mario
Link
Samus
Peach
Toon Link
MP10 Yoshi

I'm aware of Marth/Wii Fit and Villager but are there another impossible to get. My son is getting into this Custom Amiibo sub-culture that will require me to indulge in dupes and trips of the more popular one but I think I do want a solid collection. Is it too late? (6months in and the boat has already sailed came back and sailed again)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 04, 2015, 11:13:23 PM »
I still think we will eventually get reprints. They would be crazy to not do it with how they are selling. My current theory has them re-releasing next year after they finish the Smash line.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 05, 2015, 01:05:08 AM »
A full collection will be a costly venture.

As these sorts of lines expand, old molds aren't readily cycled. My guess is Nintendo has a small amount of factory lines working on this merch and that does not bode well for reprints.

At this point, I think, if you have missed the boat on certain Amiibo, you won't be seeing them again.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 05, 2015, 02:55:13 AM »
Or you will see them in 4 years when the Amiibo bubble has burst and everyone just dumps their whole collections off for less than the cost of a current Amiibo in garage sales, Craig's List ads and Goodwill's across the nation.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2015, 07:36:17 AM »
You mean when scalpers can't sell their 75 Greninja's for $80?

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2015, 11:10:22 AM »
Funny thing is I started my "Amiibo" collection with Melee. I wanted to collect all the fighters of the roster and got about 3 in and quit. I can finally complete my mission.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 06, 2015, 08:13:59 AM »
Is it too late to try and start a full collection? ...

Never too late, as long as you have deep pockets.
But if you are on a budget it's best to give up now. An Amiibo collection wouldn't be cheap at retail pricing, but when a significant number of characters sell for 4 or 5 times (or more) retail pricing your options will probably be limited.

Still disappointed I can't get a Villager Amiibo, or the whole set of Kirby-related figures.
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 06, 2015, 12:12:47 PM »
I really think Nintendo's big win from a gaming standpoint with Amiibo is if they'd release a Skylanders-esque game using the Amiibo characters.  They're in a position where the characters are already in the wild, they'd just have to build the game to interact with it.

There was an article a while back saying Toys for Bob/Activision originally approached Nintendo to offer Skylanders as an exclusive.  To me, this seems like a win-win where they could potentially make a deal where Nintendo lets Toys for Bob develop the game using Nintendo characters with their input, and share in the profits. 
For Nintendo characters that are gone/scarce, this is where something like the Amiibo cards could fill the gap & maintain a playability for this kind of game.

It just seems like such a missed opportunity in my mind.  I'd also love to play that game.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 06, 2015, 01:18:58 PM »
That implies there's enough kids who have Amiibo to play a game with them.

Also, a future where Nintendo makes a Skylanders-sequel game is not a world I want to live in.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 06, 2015, 03:41:30 PM »
That implies there's enough kids who have Amiibo to play a game with them.

Also, a future where Nintendo makes a Skylanders-sequel game is not a world I want to live in.

I think the implication is more that Nintendo has interest in making a vehicle to sell more amiibo product.  I'm suggesting that there's already a baseline of people who have at least a few of these games that could possibly be interested in this type of game, myself included. 

I'd also suggest that maybe your and other's grief with Skylanders is how they package the game than the game itself.  Additionally, my suggestion wasn't that Nintendo themselves make it, rather they leverage a business relationship with Activision/Toys for Bob to develop the game using the Nintendo licenses necessary, so it's not even like it would keep Nintendo from producing "core" games.

Grant you, given how much I like the idea, i'm sure it'll never happen, so you're probably safe from your worst-case scenario of a game you don't like existing.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 06, 2015, 06:35:46 PM »
Nintendo needs to address the critical situation the Amiibo bubble is currently experiencing. With every wave, the number of Amiibo actually being used for gameplay shrinks, and that only means the bubble is going to pop soon. Not only will Amiibo be worthless, but Nintendo will have burned out a viable long term financial source.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #267 on: April 06, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »
But what can Nintendo do?  Flood the market and increase content tied to Amiibo?

Offline SgtFlowers

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 06, 2015, 09:48:12 PM »
Is it too late to try and start a full collection? ...

Never too late, as long as you have deep pockets.
But if you are on a budget it's best to give up now. An Amiibo collection wouldn't be cheap at retail pricing, but when a significant number of characters sell for 4 or 5 times (or more) retail pricing your options will probably be limited.

Still disappointed I can't get a Villager Amiibo, or the whole set of Kirby-related figures.

This is true, collecting amiibo is possible but money will be a concern. I bought an Ike amiibo just recently from amazon for $30 alone. It's about double the cost and this Ike shipped from Japan since they are hard to find here. If I didn't have the extra money laying around I would have not of bought Ike in the first place. Honestly i'm happy to have Ike but this just might be the only time I will order through a third party for an amiibo.

In regards to retail (unless your getting a regular amiibo,) it is such a mess at times that getting a rare amiibo like Rosalina or even Ness basically requires magic, tricks, or the lords blessing to even have a chance to get them. On the bright side if you were able to defy the laws of our dimension by getting a chance to hold and buy a rare amiibo from retail it's a lot cheaper than buying from a third party. But the cost of getting... all of the amiibo's might not be worth the cheddar.

It's really not worth it to collect them all in my honest opinion. Personally I just advise(unless you have the lucky charms gold mine and resources to find and collect amiibo), getting the ones you like and especially if you can get them normally, by normally I mean not paying two times or more for one.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 06, 2015, 10:06:27 PM »
But what can Nintendo do?  Flood the market and increase content tied to Amiibo?

Chris Kohler has made the points far more eloquently than I could.
http://www.wired.com/2015/04/amiibo-bubble/

- Sell them through their own website
- Sell them at a convenient and wide time frame as possible
- Strict one-per-customer limit, enforced thoroughly

That might seem silly when Amiibos are printing money trees out the wahoo right now, but the reality is that at the current pace you risk burnout, and the whole house of cards comes down. If Nintendo really care about Amiibo being a long term money maker, they need to take the hit now, before people stop caring and before scalpers end up with hundreds of figures worth squat.

1) Make as many amiibo as possible.
2) Fight the scalpers by being a constant public presence. Ensure fans their favorite figures will be available at MSRP, follow through and you drive the scalpers away.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2015, 10:30:24 PM »
Thanks for linking (and providing handy bullet points!).

But I'm not sure if selling through their own website is enough.  I mean, the craze is real.  Nintendo couldn't keep Club Nintendo from crashing on the last day to register codes despite ample notice and about as wide a time frame as you could get.  (Admittedly, I was one of the people who procrastinated and contributed to that problem.)  I just have no faith that Nintendo could keep it's own site open.

Plus, Nintendo's only friends right now are retailers (maybe).  Boxing them out of this deal would probably put a bad taste in their mouths.  I don't think the retailer exclusives were a point of laziness on Nintendo's part, but rather an agreement to ensure shelf space.

Further, imposing the limit is easier said than done.  Apple does this with iPhones by scanning an ID.  That works with in-store transactions that they fully control.  Nintendo wouldn't have this luxury online and would instead have to rely on someone (or some expensive software) to go through transactions to make sure credit cards are being used more than once, billing addresses aren't being used more than once, shipping addresses aren't being used more than once, AND that none of those would produce a false positive (e.g., two people living in the same house ordering the same Amiibo).

Great points, in theory, but they just don't seem practical.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2015, 10:44:21 PM »

Chris Kohler has made the points far more eloquently than I could.
http://www.wired.com/2015/04/amiibo-bubble/

- Sell them through their own website
- Sell them at a convenient and wide time frame as possible
- Strict one-per-customer limit, enforced thoroughly

Third one seems the most asinine of the three suggestions Chris Kohler provided.  The other two are a bit more reasonable, and if they truly cared about fulfilling all open demand for existing amiibo, they could complete the following steps:

• [size=78%]Have an open registration for people to fill out a form of which currently available Amiibos they'd like.  Have a committed order placed based on this, like a "preorder".  Have this be part of a widely advertised limited-time offer.[/size]
  • [size=78%]Use this to do a "lifetime buy" of each figure, meaning current preorders +10% of that QTY, to offer as a limited stock purchasable through Nintendo's website.  [/size]
  • [size=78%]Once that stock sells through, amiibo figure line is discontinued.[/size]

I have to think Nintendo's thought of their options, and decided to pursue their current course.  Either way, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 07, 2015, 01:01:52 AM »
Many small toy companies do preorder services through various websites to gauge the amount of units they need to make and create a slight excess for retail. It's an easy, convenient, and profitable method.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 08, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
Many small toy companies do preorder services through various websites to gauge the amount of units they need to make and create a slight excess for retail. It's an easy, convenient, and profitable method.

That is what pre-orders are supposed to achieve. It used to be that way. You could submit pre-orders for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask up to a week or so before launch and you were guaranteed to get the gold cart. Per-orders should not sell out months in advance as they are still making them in factories.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 09, 2015, 06:44:49 PM »
Someone on GameInformer shared his conversation with Nintendo Customer Support about Amiibo.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/04/09/nintendo-service-agent-pins-blame-for-amiibo-shortage-solely-on-retailers.aspx

I would just like to express my disappointment with your handling of amiibo support, instead of taking preorders and making a supply to match, you have purposely created a shortage of characters and now games with features large amounts of players will never be able to access. Disney and activision have no problem assuring their customers get their toys to life figures.
There's no reason I should have had to wait in line for hours at gamestop yesterday, been the only customer in line and still have to walk away without the amiibo I wanted, you've known of the demand since wave one and still refuse to keep up with the demand for products. Why even make a product you have no desire to make sure people who want can get. You advertise compatible amiibo feature with games, yet don't produce enough for people to even use them in the compatibile software. I hope you see the error of you production currently and offer some sort of solution soon.

Thank you for writing. I apologize for the delay in our reply. I’m sorry to hear of your disappointment with the availability and distribution of amiibo, and would like you to know that we have documented and shared your concerns with the relevant departments here at Nintendo.Additionally, I’d like to convey that we are aware of the popularity of amiibo and continually aim to always have a regular supply of amiibo in the marketplace. As stated previously, certain sold-out amiibo may return to your local retailer at a later stage. We apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing now, and thank you in advance for your continued patience in this matter.
If you guys are aware of the popularity of amiibo from past waves, why have you not stepped up production of the newer figures.  Especially seeing how you are promoting them with newer games such as Kirby and code name steam. 
Short of Kirby, you can not purchase a single figure compatible with either game.   All of the fire emblem characters are unavailable , many of which aren't even released and are sold out already. Why promote using fire emblem characters in code name steam if the majority of players will never have the opportunity.  If your company is aware of the demand, it would only reason you are purposely failing to meet supply.

While this may not be the answer you were hoping for, all of the issues you're describing are retailer related. Nintendo has no input on when or how retailers sell our products, if or when new products are stocked, or when and how the retailer takes pre-orders. These decisions are made by retailers at the administration level. If you have concerns about these kinds of issues, we can only recommend contacting your retailer.It may interest you to learn that Nintendo doesn't ship products directly to retail locations. We take orders from distributors (who sell our products and products from other companies), and ship our products to their distribution centers. The distributors then take orders from retailers and ship these orders to the retailers' merchandise centers. Once there, the retailers make all decisions about how to best sell this merchandise. They divide this merchandise up into smaller units and send them to retailers based on sales data.Please also note that no amiibo have been discontinued at this time. We plan to have different amiibo available throughout the year, and characters which seem to disappear at one time will suddenly reappear in the future. This means that amiibo which are hard to find now will be back in stores.

"This means that amiibo which are hard to find now will be back in stores."

I'll believe it when I see it