Author Topic: Let's Talk Amiibo!  (Read 147571 times)

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Amiibo!
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »
Bought the Link Amiibo. Was looking for Pikachu to get for a family member as a late Christmas present, but my Gamestop was devastated. My only complaints with it is that the stand should have been clear and that the sheath for the Master Sword is a little bent. Otherwise it looks nice.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »
I went to return a duplicate Christmas Amiibo at the Nintendo World Store today (stupidly thinking that it wouldn't be crowded in Manhattan the day after Christmas), and observed a fun phenomenon. On the shelves they had the usual common Amiibos (of which Luigi is one apparently), but on the shelf behind the counter they had a few stacks of figures piled so as to not show the front of the packages to people in line. These were Little Mac, Pit, and Captain Falcon. The line was super long, and behind me I heard a number of fevered conversations about hoping to get one of the few Falcons left from the "rare" stock behind the counter, with people cursing and wincing as the figures depleted. I happened to get to the counter with two Falcons left, and traded my Samus for one. What fun! I'm gonna keep this one in the package as I can't imagine there'll be another F-Zero game any time soon that would inspire another production run.

« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »
I booted up Smash Bros U for the first time today and tried out my Link and Mario Amiibos. I am not entirely sure what they are supposed to do but I had fun playing around with them anyways. I will probably get banned for life for saying this but I don't like this new Smash Bros. game that much. I don't know maybe I just never liked the whole series to begin with but I somehow expected this one to be better.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2014, 09:36:51 PM »
I don't know maybe I just never liked the whole series to begin with but I somehow expected this one to be better.

It is better, but there's nothing about this game that would change your mind if you weren't already in love with the series. It's more refined but there is no "NEW" mechanic that clicks with the underwhelmed.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2014, 10:01:47 PM »
Did y'all listen to the latest episode of RFN? (amiibarf)

In a nutshell: Amiibo is only being talked about because of their scarcity, not because of their actual...use in videogames.

Discuss!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2014, 04:12:26 AM »
In a nutshell: Amiibo is only being talked about because of their scarcity, not because of their actual...use in videogames.

Discuss!
Their current implementation of amiibo is a novel extra at best and an afterthought at worst. I'm okay with that since the toys-to-life idea is having plastic, portable keys to digital locks once you remove all the magic and wonder. I look forward to having a Captain Falcon costume for my Mii in Mario Kart 8 (made sure to pre-order the Captain). Leveling up customized CPU fighters in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is oddly endearing in a "I'm pretending to be a trainer!" way.

The Hyrule Warriors implementation is the most useful in my eyes as you can get up to five daily random draws at rupees, crafting materials, and weapons with different amiibo. This leans in to a RPG-grinding nature which is what toys-to-life feed on to my limited knowledge.

« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2014, 06:21:35 AM »
I don't know maybe I just never liked the whole series to begin with but I somehow expected this one to be better.

It is better, but there's nothing about this game that would change your mind if you weren't already in love with the series. It's more refined but there is no "NEW" mechanic that clicks with the underwhelmed.

I guess my thing is I really liked Melee because it had so much content and tribute to Nintendo's glory days these last two it seems they are just over stuffed, the game play I never understood I suck at the actual game. I thought it was supposed to be a fighting game but I am a fighting game fanatic and this does not play like a real fighting game at all.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2014, 10:35:13 AM »
I thought it was supposed to be a fighting game but I am a fighting game fanatic and this does not play like a real fighting game at all.

As I fellow fighting game fanatic and as someone who put something close to 1000hrs in melee (and I am still only average) ITS NOT A FIGHTING GAME. Even with the "advanced techs" like "Wave-dashing" and some called "perfect pivoting" it's still not a true fighter or its an incredably shallow one.

TO THE AMIIBO: Rarity or not, if these were simply trophies for Smash with NO NFC, I think people would still be after them for, maybe not this extent or frenzy but very popular none the less. There have been plenty of crazes that make less sense than this. (pogs, Beanie Babies, Lallaloopsy,) Think its crazy now...wait till the next poke'mon game uses this tech and its over!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2014, 11:20:37 PM »
Glad I got Shulk and Ike pre-ordered if they are already cutting off pre-orders. I may pre-order a few others at Target so I can get Rosalina.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2014, 01:26:48 AM »
I suck at the actual game. I thought it was supposed to be a fighting game but I am a fighting game fanatic and this does not play like a real fighting game at all.
As I fellow fighting game fanatic and as someone who put something close to 1000hrs in melee (and I am still only average) ITS NOT A FIGHTING GAME.
GIT.
GOOD.
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2014, 07:18:45 PM »
Since Shulk is my new/current main, I need to pre order him as well.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
Hyrule Warriors presents, in my opinion, the worst implementation of Amiibo with the spinner. Especially when you realize that the data for the spinner is probably on your hard drive already with a patch and the only reason you can't use it is because you don't have the ugliest amiibo of them all

"I will defeat Ganon with the golden power of this ugly yellow bar"

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2014, 12:07:50 AM »
I prefered the first model of Link where the bar was clear. The yellow bar is ugly. Though they should have created a better pose for Link that didn't require such a clunky stand.
My Game Collection

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2014, 04:34:09 PM »
Hyrule Warriors presents, in my opinion, the worst implementation of Amiibo with the spinner. Especially when you realize that the data for the spinner is probably on your hard drive already with a patch and the only reason you can't use it is because you don't have the ugliest amiibo of them all

Ostensibly, you can unlock Link's spinner (and the Mario Kart 8 Mii costumes) with any one's amiibo so you can just have one person with the Link amiibo and unlock the spinner for all of the Hyrule Warriors save data among your group.

Operative word being "ostensibly."

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2014, 10:50:46 PM »
I'm trying to divide up the amiibos with my friends and family so that we can cover all of these unlocks.

I received the Link figure as a gift today and it doesn't look as bad in real life as it does in photos. Maybe its because you can turn it to a better position. Though it could have looked better in dozens of other poses.
My Game Collection

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2014, 08:47:37 AM »
I have been using my three Amiibo for Hyrule Warriors for a few weeks now, but I gave my Mario a spin in Smash Bros. for the first time last night. He's a purple costumed Mario named "Wally" for obvious reasons.

My first training session didn't go so well. I started simply trying to show him the ropes with my own Mario, covering combos, spot-dodging, and how I moved, but that just made him super-reliant on fireballs and he honestly wasn't fun to play with at all. I switched to a few other characters after and it felt like all of his tactics were completely useless. I ended up not saving any of the 35 levels I trained him up with, and called it a night.

The next morning, I gave him another go. This time, I started with my best character, then switched to Mario, and then, for about twenty levels, focused solely on kicking his ass with Wario. Around level 27 or so things really started to click with him and he was adapting really well to my tactics, not relying too much on fireballs, and doing some unconventional combos. I ended up saving this data because it feels like Wally is an interesting fighter now.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2014, 12:58:48 PM »
I prefered the first model of Link where the bar was clear. The yellow bar is ugly. Though they should have created a better pose for Link that didn't require such a clunky stand.
Or him to face up. Link, you aren't edgy, stop staring at the ground like your brooding or something.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2014, 02:51:41 PM »
I'm not sure what all this Amiibo and rare Amiibo stuff is all about, but my Toys R Us has tons of them.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »
I'm not sure what all this Amiibo and rare Amiibo stuff is all about, but my Toys R Us has tons of them.
Buy them all and rule the world.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »
Toys R' Us is canceling pre-orders again.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2015, 12:59:36 PM »
Did Target stop taking pre-orders? I'm trying to get Rosalina but the pre-order won't go through.
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2015, 01:07:48 PM »
Did Target stop taking pre-orders? I'm trying to get Rosalina but the pre-order won't go through.

You need to get in line outside the store. Bring a sleeping bag and an empty bottle for urological reasons.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2015, 06:50:51 AM »
I broke down and ordered a Samus one, which I got now. Mine only had the one arm cannon.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »
Four Amiibo in and the thirst is real! I need them all. DAMN YOU NINTENDO!

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2015, 03:24:57 PM »
I broke down and ordered a Samus one, which I got now. Mine only had the one arm cannon.

If you're going to break down at least make it worth your time and get a dual arm cannon Samus. Do you even Amiibo? It's like you don't care.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.